Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439597 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2380 on: May 18, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »
Question: You have Haken, Nova Collective, and now Rainmask. How do you approach your writing for each different band/project you are in? How do you decide which ideas are better for one band or the other?

I asked the same question to Jordan and John Mitchell, and this always intrigues me. Good one too!

Music writing is something I've always wanted to do and never managed to not suck at it :lol So it amazes me how easily some musicians can write for different bands and projects without repeating themselves.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: May 19, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
Nice questions guys. If you have some more, just send them here

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2382 on: May 19, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
Question: You have Haken, Nova Collective, and now Rainmask. How do you approach your writing for each different band/project you are in? How do you decide which ideas are better for one band or the other?

I asked the same question to Jordan and John Mitchell, and this always intrigues me. Good one too!

Music writing is something I've always wanted to do and never managed to not suck at it :lol So it amazes me how easily some musicians can write for different bands and projects without repeating themselves.

Well, like anything else, it takes lots of practice and (usually) studying. It can be hard to tell sometimes because we usually see the end results of months or years of hard work, but most of the artists we love to listen to had a "formative period" where they found their voice and learned basic skills. So don't give up! It takes a lot of work, but almost anyone can do it if they really apply themselves and have the drive and desire for it.

And, to answer that second point, it comes down to having a diverse "musical vocabulary" or lots of "tools" in your "musical toolbox". Then you apply those specific tools to contexts that are appropriate. Basically, the more music you study and the more concepts you learn about and practice with, the more tools you have to make music.

As for some questions:

-Were there any new influences or more emphasized influences between The Mountain and Affinity, and/or between Affinity and HAK5N that influenced the direction the albums took/are taking?
-Will we be getting scores/sheet music/tabs for The Mountain or the other instruments of Affinity?
-If you could (or had to) collab with any modern pop singer, or rapper who would it be and why?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2383 on: May 28, 2018, 01:23:25 AM »
Got my copy already. :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2384 on: May 28, 2018, 01:49:03 AM »
How in the world did you do that  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2385 on: May 28, 2018, 02:11:40 AM »
Connections :hat

(I know the band (well, half of them)).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: May 28, 2018, 02:56:58 AM »
So, is it even good?  :laugh:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2387 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:16 AM »
I'm about a third of the way through and yeah it's awesome so far. The sound is fantastic. I'm digging the visual style as well though it won't be to everyone's tastes - lots of strobe lighting and close up handheld camera work. If you saw some of the short videos they posted on Facebook throughout the tour, it's generally in that style.

The one thing I personally would have liked more was for it to sound a bit more different from the studio versions. I'm on the Aquamedley and by its nature it's a little different, which is really cool. The songs preceding it for the most part sound like fantastic performances of exactly what's in the studio, which is great but I do rather like it when bands change things up a little on stage. (EDIT: Actually I'll retract that having seen more of the DVD! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42638.msg2440910#msg2440910)

But that's a minor preference, otherwise it's great.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:35:56 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: May 28, 2018, 03:06:45 AM »
lots of strobe lighting and close up handheld camera work. If you saw some of the short videos they posted on Facebook throughout the tour, it's generally in that style.

That sounds promising!

The songs preceding it for the most part sound like fantastic performances of exactly what's in the studio, which is great but I do rather like it when bands change things up a little on stage.

I agree, live versions should sound different.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2389 on: May 28, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »
Actually thinking about it Red Giant was very cool too, again the nature of that track means it'll always sound a little different live.

Also another thing I dig is that the mix is consistently Charlie on the left and Hen on the right so in quite a few places the guitar parts are more distinct that the studio versions.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: May 28, 2018, 03:27:44 AM »
What about the vocal mix? There were talk about overdubbing/editing when the In Memoriam video was released.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2391 on: May 28, 2018, 03:32:25 AM »
What about the vocal mix? There were talk about overdubbing/editing when the In Memoriam video was released.
Pretty sure there's a fair bit of correcting/overdubbing - from memory Ross was pretty unwell for that show so it'd be silly not to do so. To me it sounds pretty seamless though so it doesn't bother me at all. I've seen plenty of shows where he's sounded this good (and others where he's been on less good form of course) so it's a fair reflection of their live performances.

In terms of the mix, the vocals aren't especially prominent in the mix, but then that's always the case with Haken, it's part of their style.

I'll also retract my initial comment about sounding different from the studio - I think it was mainly just the first few tracks. Atlas Stone and Cockroach King have sounded absolutely fantastic.

EDIT: I'll also add that the camera work is pretty varied. Quieter moments are reflected in calmer editing. It's very nicely done on the whole!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2392 on: May 28, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
Ray posted this: https://www.facebook.com/rayhearnemusic/photos/a.445179748952866.1073741831.436228399848001/1233321816805318/?type=3&theater

Looks like they started drum recordings today, and they have Nolly working on drum tones :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2393 on: May 29, 2018, 06:19:01 AM »
Not sure if Nolly's the best bet for Haken's drum sound though. Nolly makes good drum tones that sound kinda programmed-ish for metalcore and djent, but that's about it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2394 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:07 AM »
Not sure if Nolly's the best bet for Haken's drum sound though. Nolly makes good drum tones that sound kinda programmed-ish for metalcore and djent, but that's about it.

With the use of the pads on the last album that could perhaps be the direction they are moving for some of the stuff, at least drum wise. In any case I'm excited to hear if this makes a noticeable difference on the final product, good or bad.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2395 on: May 29, 2018, 07:30:23 AM »

I think he can do more than that. His engineering work on Good Tiger's last record was a more organic drum sound. For my money, Nolly is one of the best engineers/mixers for metal/heavy rock modern stuff out there today.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2396 on: May 29, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »

I think he can do more than that. His engineering work on Good Tiger's last record was a more organic drum sound. For my money, Nolly is one of the best engineers/mixers for metal/heavy rock modern stuff out there today.

He also engineered drums for DTP Transcendance and, man, they sound very good. I know Nolly is a very versatile producer, so I'm sure Ray's kit will sound amazing :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2397 on: May 29, 2018, 11:54:11 AM »

He also engineered drums for DTP Transcendance and, man, they sound very good. I know Nolly is a very versatile producer, so I'm sure Ray's kit will sound amazing :metal

He's one of my favorite engineers/producers out there right now. I think I've posted over on the DT side several times I'd love if DT used him as an engineer.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2398 on: May 29, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »

The new Good Tiger is an amazing sounding record. I second this statement. Would love for Nolly to engineer the next DT album (highly doubt it though).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2399 on: May 29, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
I agree with both of you, it would be amazing to have Nolly mix a DT album :metal

Anyway, back to Haken, if they just started recording drums, should we expect Haken 5 for the end of the year? I seriously cannot wait for more Haken music.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2400 on: May 29, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
I agree with both of you, it would be amazing to have Nolly mix a DT album :metal

Anyway, back to Haken, if they just started recording drums, should we expect Haken 5 for the end of the year? I seriously cannot wait for more Haken music.

The original plan was either end of this year, beginning of next. Considering along with Cruise to the Edge the festival leaked that there will be a South American tour leading up to the cruise, I'd expect they plan to have it out before then. As December is the absolute worst month to release anything music related I'd guess either November or January.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2401 on: May 29, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »

The original plan was either end of this year, beginning of next. Considering along with Cruise to the Edge the festival leaked that there will be a South American tour leading up to the cruise, I'd expect they plan to have it out before then. As December is the absolute worst month to release anything music related I'd guess either November or January.

I want to have it earlier, but wish they don't rush things up in order to have it released before the tour. Anyway, they always deliver amazing stuff, so I'm excited :D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2402 on: May 29, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
No band in existence has given me a debut 4 as strong as Haken has. POS is a close second.

I really hope they keep up the run of amazing material.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2403 on: May 29, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
No band in existence has given me a debut 4 as strong as Haken has. POS is a close second.

Queensryche would like a word with you.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2404 on: May 29, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »

So would Coheed and Cambria...

But yea, Haken rule  :tup

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2405 on: May 29, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »

Add Agalloch, The Dear Hunter and Diablo Swing Orchestra to that list imo. And they only have three albums, but iamthemorning and Ne Obliviscaris would too...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2406 on: May 29, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »

Uhhhh.....no.  Not even close.   The Warning is very good, but kinda disappointing in a way.  I thought the EP was so amazing when it first came out, that I went and bought The Warning as soon as it came out....and other than a couple of highlights, I didn't much care for it at first.   To the point that I didn't even buy Rage when it came out.    A few months later, my cousin had it on cassette and didn't like it, so he let me have it.   I hated WitS at first, but the rest of the album grabbed me and turned me into a huge fanboy....and then I revisited The Warning, and liked it more than on my first listen, but it's still a bit like WDADU....strong material killed by a poor production.    If you're going with The Warning - Empire, I still have the same problem with Warning, and then add the fact that Empire is just too glossy for me....and JCW and ARNWY should be forever deleted from the QR catalog.   I'd rather listen to the entirety of Dedicated to Chaos than ever hear those songs again. 

TLDR version....NO

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2407 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »

C&C is excellent for the first three.   I never cared for NWFT. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2408 on: May 29, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Camel, Queen, the Flower Kings and Dream Theater would all like a word with all of those bands.

Also, while I still love the title track and Deathless, I think Visions is clearly the least best of the four Haken albums thus far.  I find that I listen to the first album and The Mountain by far the most.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2409 on: May 29, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
I honestly have a tough time choosing.  The Mountain is very personal album for me, so I imagine that will always be #1, but it's a 3-way tie for 2nd. 

Visions to me is lyrically their worst, but possibly musically their strongest.   The trifecta of Mind's Eye/Portals/Shapeshifter just blows my mind. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2410 on: May 29, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
I made no bones about the fact that Ross Jennings' voice annoyed the hell out of me for a long time, but I finally got used to it and came around to it.  However, he still has a certain tone that he uses on occasion that I wince at a little, and he uses it a lot on Falling Back to Earth, which is certainly one of their better songs, but I find that I never listen to that song anymore because of his voice in it.  Between the four albums and the EP, there are probably about 20 songs I would say I listen to way more than all of the others, and Falling Back to Earth is not one of them. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2411 on: May 29, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »

I know that's a fairly common view and a lot of Coheed fans don't rate it that high but I'm still always like  :omg: :omg: :omg: it's one of my top 10 albums of all time, it's fucking killer!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2412 on: May 29, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »
Judging from what I've read and heard, I must be the ONLY person in the ENTIRE universe who really liked Ross Jenning's voice from the get go. It was one of the selling points of the band for me, especially the second part of Nocturnal Conspiracy and that epic falsetto "meeeheehee" in Falling Back to Earth. The only thing I don't really like about his singing was his growls in Aquarius, but those were really doctored up in the studio from what I heard so idk.

Also, as far as album rankings go: The Mountain > Affinity > Restoration > Visions > Aquarius. Only songs I really find myself going back to on Aquarius are Streams (which imo should be split into two songs, because the first half is one of my favorite things ever and the second half is eh) and Celestial Elixir and sometimes Point of No Return. Almost everything else I only listen to if I'm going through the whole album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2413 on: May 29, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »

I know that's a fairly common view and a lot of Coheed fans don't rate it that high but I'm still always like  :omg: :omg: :omg: it's one of my top 10 albums of all time, it's fucking killer!

Losing Josh on the drums was the killer of that album.   I’ve always been an “interesting rhythm” kind of guy, and Josh's drum parts on FFTTEOM was what made that album so amazing.  It was the key element that elevated them above a standard straight up metal band.   The drum parts on NWFT were generic, and it just made the whole album sound like generic rock to me.  It’s OK....but such a big letdown.  The Afterman albums are freakin incredible though.  They really need Josh or the whole thing just doesn’t work.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2414 on: May 29, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
Judging from what I've read and heard, I must be the ONLY person in the ENTIRE universe who really liked Ross Jenning's voice from the get go. It was one of the selling points of the band for me, especially the second part of Nocturnal Conspiracy and that epic falsetto "meeeheehee" in Falling Back to Earth. The only thing I don't really like about his singing was his growls in Aquarius, but those were really doctored up in the studio from what I heard so idk.

Also, as far as album rankings go: The Mountain > Affinity > Restoration > Visions > Aquarius. Only songs I really find myself going back to on Aquarius are Streams (which imo should be split into two songs, because the first half is one of my favorite things ever and the second half is eh) and Celestial Elixir and sometimes Point of No Return. Almost everything else I only listen to if I'm going through the whole album.

Count me in as someone who loved the vocals from the get go.  CK was my first song, and I was in love immediately. 

I know I’m going all fanboy on this band, but they are just so amazing to me.  It feels a lot like when I first discovered Rush, and later Dream Theater.   I literally play all 4 albums (and the EP) constantly in rotation.  There’s not a single note I don’t adore.   I even play Into The 5th Demention (the original demo) all the time.   I LOVE IT.