Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439334 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2275 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »
One odd thing about the Haken show: the guy who kept coming out and taking videos of the band. It was distracting having him stand in front of the drummer or bass player for minutes at a time just taping them.

I have to say you just got a bit unlucky at your show. That fine gentleman is Simen and he's been posted the tour videos and is doing a ton of other stuff for the band. Typically he stays in the back, side, or is in the crowd filming. My guess is they had a specific reason for needing footage of whatever he was taping at that show.

The Chicago show was awesome for me. Also had a great time meeting and hanging out with Nick and splent. The photographer on stage didn't bother me much personally. If anything, the person taking videos from in the crowd looked like they may have annoyed people, but with no photographer pit, there isn't much to do about that.

Well, that was just a bit of poor planning. Basically someone had come up from Mexico with a bunch of cameras, most of which were mounted on stage, and they gave an extra to that guy and basically said just point it at whatever you think you should. Bigger issue was he was in the 2nd row. Had they given it to someone in front they could have held it lower and not have been in anyone's way.

While all this makes for great social media videos I do hope that if and when they do a proper concert film that they get a proper film crew for it. Augment it with whatever extra cameras you might have, but do the main bit right.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2276 on: September 25, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
I would love to be able to do serious photography for a band like Haken some day. So many times during the show, I kept seeing all these amazing shots in my head.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2277 on: September 25, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »
One odd thing about the Haken show: the guy who kept coming out and taking videos of the band. It was distracting having him stand in front of the drummer or bass player for minutes at a time just taping them.

I have to say you just got a bit unlucky at your show. That fine gentleman is Simen and he's been posted the tour videos and is doing a ton of other stuff for the band. Typically he stays in the back, side, or is in the crowd filming. My guess is they had a specific reason for needing footage of whatever he was taping at that show.

I noticed him walking on stage in NYC, but it wasn't for too long nor was it really that distracting for me.  But if you haven't, you should check out the videos he's making on Haken's social media and youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKtyrA23LNo The sound and quality of these videos is really making me drool wanting a blu ray. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2278 on: September 25, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the link cramx..... was curious as to where to find any of that photage.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2279 on: September 25, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
I am wondering if the Southeast U.S. promotors will try and book Haken for cities like Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, etc.  Not counting the Progressive Festival in Atlanta, has Haken ever toured the Southeastern U.S.?  What would the average attendance and ticket price be for the U.S cities they are currently touring?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2280 on: September 25, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
In regards to their touring it will be very interesting to see what happens on their next tour as it may be the first in the US that isn't based around a festival. It'll be too soon for ProgPower again and likely too soon for RoSfest as well. They also won't have set places to be for Shattered Fortress. With that being said it'll be the first tour were they really go were the best offers and routing is, and I'm interested to see how that plays out.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2281 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »

I figured as much.  It only happened a handful of times, where he seemed to overstay his welcome on stage, but when you are standing there blocking fans for several minutes for watching one of the band members during an instrumental section, that is overdoing it a bit.  Like I said before, just a little distracting at times. Not a big deal.

Also, one of the friends I went with stayed after the show to get his albums signed, and said that one of the guys said they will start working on the next album in January, but wouldn't give any hints as to what direction they are going.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2282 on: September 25, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »

I figured as much.  It only happened a handful of times, where he seemed to overstay his welcome on stage, but when you are standing there blocking fans for several minutes for watching one of the band members during an instrumental section, that is overdoing it a bit.  Like I said before, just a little distracting at times. Not a big deal.

Also, one of the friends I went with stayed after the show to get his albums signed, and said that one of the guys said they will start working on the next album in January, but wouldn't give any hints as to what direction they are going.

The band very well may have a plan for the next album that they are keeping secret, but I find it just as, if not more likely that they may not know themselves. Affinity was far more collaborative than anything before it, and if that trend continues it's hard to judge where it will go unless they do have some strong preference already in mind.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: September 25, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
Forgive me if these kinds of things aren't allowed, but a friend on mine has created a Haken discord group if anyone is interested in joining. There was one already, but apparently it was run mostly by kids.

Offline LPMX

« Reply #2284 on: September 26, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »
I noticed him walking on stage in NYC, but it wasn't for too long nor was it really that distracting for me.  But if you haven't, you should check out the videos he's making on Haken's social media and youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKtyrA23LNo The sound and quality of these videos is really making me drool wanting a blu ray.

Haken have one of the best social media guy in the business. I really wish more bands produced content like that on their tour.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2285 on: September 26, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »

Haken have one of the best social media guy in the business. I really wish more bands produced content like that on their tour.

Indeed. Ray has done a ton on that front in staying connected and still does, but Simen pushes content quality to a new level.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2286 on: September 26, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
Yep, that video that cramx3 posted was very cool. :hat

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: September 27, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »

Indeed. Ray has done a ton on that front in staying connected and still does, but Simen pushes content quality to a new level.

+1
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2288 on: September 30, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
My little end of tour collection:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2289 on: September 30, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
My little end of tour collection:

:hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: October 01, 2017, 04:10:32 AM »
 :metal

Love the song Cock

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2291 on: October 01, 2017, 04:58:36 AM »
Me too. It's my favorite along with Atlas stoVe that they played a while ago as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2292 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:18 AM »
I'll be curious to see which of the two longer songs from Affinity (that got played all this tour, 1985 and The Architect) gets kept in the set list on the next tour.  Hopefully, it's 1985 since that is the better song and is shorter, thus taking up less time in the set.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2293 on: October 01, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
I know this is a big time bias on my part having seen them a ridiculous number of times in support of Affinity, I would be totally fine if for the next tour they play Bound By Gravity and nothing else, or just one shorter song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2294 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
I'd be fine with that, too - Bound by Gravity is one of the best songs on the record, IMO - but I doubt they won't not play The Endless Knot on the next tour. That song is too much of a crowd pleaser to stop playing already.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: October 01, 2017, 01:13:22 PM »
If there were to be a setlist staple from affinity, my vote goes to 1985.

Offline LPMX

« Reply #2296 on: October 02, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
If there were to be a setlist staple from affinity, my vote goes to 1985.
Same. I expect 1985 to be part of pretty much every setlists like Cockroach King since The Mountain's release.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2297 on: October 02, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
I also expect "1985" to be a live staple from Affinity, altough I would like "The Architect" to become a staple aswell, I really love that song and I hope to hear it live again in the future.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2298 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
I personally prefer TEK over 1985.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2299 on: October 03, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
I love TEK too, but there's no doubt that 1985 killed live. Really got the crowd going so I can easily see it becoming a staple in future shows.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2300 on: October 19, 2017, 12:51:58 AM »
I really really love Bound By Gravity. The lyrics are lovely and resonate with myself as a person.

I imagine an early morning, before dawn, when the dew appears. When all of life is waking up. Then as the song progresses, and gets heavy its when the Sun finally breaks the horizon and its rays shine brightly giving us all life. The ethereal force that gives us the beat in our hearts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2301 on: October 19, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »
Nice description.  :tup :tup

Bound by Gravity is such a great tune.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: April 09, 2018, 03:12:06 AM »
Haken just uploaded a new pic on their social media.

https://www.facebook.com/HakenOfficial/

It's the same color scheme as Affinity, so I don't know if it's a hint towards another studio album. Live release perhaps?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2303 on: April 09, 2018, 03:15:10 AM »
I can dig a full live album. Even if its studio, they'll play Bound By Gravity.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2304 on: April 09, 2018, 05:41:22 AM »
Thought the same thing. It's the Affinity Design, I think this might have something to do with a live release- which would be dope
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2305 on: April 09, 2018, 06:02:03 AM »
They’re just messing with us :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2306 on: April 09, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
They’re just tooling with us :lol

FTFY
any rock can be made to roll

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2307 on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:03 AM »
https://www.roooar.com/music_uk/cd-dvd-haken-l-1ve-22470.html
We can trust in this site? Apparently is a live CD and DVD from Amsterdan and Atlanta. The list of the songs is in the cover:

Amsterdan: Affinity.exe/initiate, in memorian, 1985, red giant, aquamedley
races(?), atlas stone, cockroach king, the architect, the endless knot, visions
Atlanta: falling back to earth, earthrise, pareidolia, chrystallised

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:53:24 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2308 on: April 12, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »
https://www.roooar.com/music_uk/cd-dvd-haken-l-1ve-22470.html
We can trust in this site? Apparently is a live CD and DVD. The list of the songs is in the cover.

If this isn't fake, it would be a dream come true :o

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2309 on: April 12, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
 I can make out a few tracks, but my picture is extremely blurry. Can someone post what the tracklist is if you have a better picture than I do?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude