Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440719 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2170 on: August 28, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
I can assure you that most of their lessons are not like that. :lol

I imagine that was either a choice or it was the only way to be able to fit it in.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2171 on: August 28, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
I can assure you that most of their lessons are not like that. :lol

Exactly! Still it was such a cool moment.

I imagine that was either a choice or it was the only way to be able to fit it in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: August 28, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
Wasn't trying to shit on the moment, just thought it looked odd.  BUt of course, if the guy enjoyed it and Conner was happy to do it, then all the merrier.  I will say, I would have been like King and just astonished to see that as you are approaching the venue.  Maybe I catch some lessons on the NYC streets this weekend  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2173 on: August 28, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »
I was! Hey, it's Conner! My wife goes over running to take pictures I'm like hey hey hey! Don't go over there and bug him kid paid for it. LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
Yea true, I wouldn't want to take any thing away from the guys experience.  Must be awesome to get a one on one with a musician you really like. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: August 31, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
So last year when I finally realized I was going to Progpower was when I first listened to Haken, I dug the Earthrise and Endless Knot videos on youtube and being their newest release, got Affinity and really liked it.  I listened to some other songs I knew they'd be playing from following setlist.fm and while I really had a good time, but I never came back to listen to their older albums.  Knowing I was going to see them this fall, I finally got around to listening to Haken some more.  Over the last week or two, I've started really loving Visions.  Not totally crazy about the title track, but the rest of the album is simply amazing.  I've also got the Mountain now, which is also really good, but I've been sinking my teeth into Visions that I haven't given the Mountain enough attention to really digest yet.  Regardless, I'm really excited to see them Saturday, just about a full year after seeing them the first time.  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2176 on: August 31, 2017, 10:38:22 PM »
I saw on social media they were advertising doing music lessons with members of the band... is that how they are seriously doing them? lol just seems odd
Link to this? I'd be up for a lesson if they're still offering this.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: September 01, 2017, 06:35:20 AM »
I saw on social media they were advertising doing music lessons with members of the band... is that how they are seriously doing them? lol just seems odd

Not sure how to link to a facebook post but it's on their wall from August 19th and it reads:

TOUR LESSONS! Slots are filling up fast for this tour so be sure to get in touch with your instrumentalist of choice if you'd like a lesson in your city. Tour dates: www.hakenmusic.com/tour
Charlie Griffiths - Guitarist: charlie@hakenmusic.com
Diego Tejeida - d'Tej: diego@hakenmusic.com
Ray Hearne: ray@hakenmusic.com
Conner Green: connergreenbass@gmail.com
Richard Henshall: rich@hakenmusic.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2178 on: September 01, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »

Not sure how to link to a facebook post but it's on their wall from August 19th and it reads:

TOUR LESSONS! Slots are filling up fast for this tour so be sure to get in touch with your instrumentalist of choice if you'd like a lesson in your city. Tour dates: www.hakenmusic.com/tour

Conner doesn't get a Haken email address :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2179 on: September 01, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »

awesome thanks
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2180 on: September 01, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Does any of you, Haken fans and, probably, guitarists, know what 8 string guitar tuning are Rich and Charlie using?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2181 on: September 02, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »
Drop E

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2182 on: September 05, 2017, 06:31:24 AM »
Saw my first Haken show in NYC Sunday night. Awesome show! And running into some of DTF's finest (Axe/Bill, Nick) is always a good thing!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2183 on: September 05, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
Saw my first Haken show in NYC Sunday night. Awesome show! And running into some of DTF's finest (Axe/Bill, Nick) is always a good thing!

Nice  :metal :metal was there as well and ran into Axeman at the end at the merch stand. 

Had a great time watching them.  Really good performance and atmosphere at the show.  It sucked it was pouring so I got there completely drenched.  I chilled in the back near the bar.  The venue was pretty full, I had never been there before but it was a nice spot.  I was most impressed by Ross.  I feel like he impressed me the most last time I saw them as well, but they played some different songs this time that used his vocals a bit more and in a bit different ways such as with As Death Embraces.  I've been really loving Visions lately, so was kind of bummed they only played the opening and closing track, but the song Visions live was very awesome.  I haven't really listened to Aquarius so the medley was pretty much new music for me which I thought was cool to see all together like that.   At the end I got to shake hands with Charlie and Connor, both chilled near the stage after the show to meet with fans and both seemed like cool chill dudes appreciating the fans.

Got lots of video footage from the back:
Haken Live in NYC with cramx3

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2184 on: September 05, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »

Nice  :metal :metal was there as well and ran into Axeman at the end at the merch stand. 

Had a great time watching them.  Really good performance and atmosphere at the show.  It sucked it was pouring so I got there completely drenched.  I chilled in the back near the bar.  The venue was pretty full, I had never been there before but it was a nice spot.  I was most impressed by Ross.  I feel like he impressed me the most last time I saw them as well, but they played some different songs this time that used his vocals a bit more and in a bit different ways such as with As Death Embraces.  I've been really loving Visions lately, so was kind of bummed they only played the opening and closing track, but the song Visions live was very awesome.  I haven't really listened to Aquarius so the medley was pretty much new music for me which I thought was cool to see all together like that.   At the end I got to shake hands with Charlie and Connor, both chilled near the stage after the show to meet with fans and both seemed like cool chill dudes appreciating the fans.

Got lots of video footage from the back:
Haken Live in NYC with cramx3
I posted your video on my Facebook page!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »
 :metal :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2186 on: September 05, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Howdy, friends and neighbors!

I am seeing Haken TONIGHT in Durham. Really excited to see them live.

Do they have an opening act?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2187 on: September 05, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
Howdy, friends and neighbors!

I am seeing Haken TONIGHT in Durham. Really excited to see them live.

Do they have an opening act?

Yes! Sithu Aye is the opening act and I would definitely recommend getting there in time for at least a chunk of his set. Really enjoyable instrumental prog rock/metal.
Photobucket sucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2188 on: September 05, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
Cool. Thanks, Bill!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2189 on: September 05, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention about the NYC show, I think they had some lighting issues.  At one point the back screen went to an error and then went completely black and the front stage lights were dark for awhile in the beginning of the set, it seems they eventually got things figured out, but you can even notice in my video how dark it is in the beginning but gets brighter and normal towards the end.

I always love when stuff like that happens, makes the experience unique.  Similar to last week when I saw Deep Purple and they came out and started playing without any lights on (like completely dark, not slightly dark like Haken)  :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2190 on: September 05, 2017, 03:41:19 PM »
Cool. Thanks, Bill!
I second what Bill said. The opener is pretty killer and worth catching

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2191 on: September 05, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »
Just got to the venue. Will report back later.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: September 05, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
Hell yeah Hef!! Enjoy!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: September 05, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
You are in for a good night of music  :yarr :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2194 on: September 05, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
OK, just got home.

In my professional medical opinion: holy fucking shit.  That show was hella awesome!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2195 on: September 06, 2017, 05:18:26 AM »
The song Visions live was just orgasmic, when I saw them earlier this year  :hefdaddy :metal :hefdaddy :metal

It's my favourite song of theirs and it just ended the night in the most triumphant way.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2196 on: September 06, 2017, 06:06:08 AM »
Yeah, that's how they ended the show last night.

Also, they were loud as hell.   :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2197 on: September 07, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
I suspect only Rich might have an insight for me, but did anyone else find it odd that for ProgPower they played all of Visions, The Architect, and nothing else?

They had a headline set and could have played as long as they liked, and unless I'm mistaken I don't think this set was even as long as their typical sets have been on this tour. Just seems odd not to have started with a few random songs from the tour, then play what they did.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2198 on: September 07, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »
Maybe they started late?  Seems there should be room for at least another song in that set. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2199 on: September 07, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
Maybe there were delays in setting up all the gear/sound, etc for all the bands and they had to start a little late? That's always an issue when you have a big festival with many bands coming in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
Maybe there were delays in setting up all the gear/sound, etc for all the bands and they had to start a little late? That's always an issue when you have a big festival with many bands coming in.

I kind of recall that being a problem at PP day 1 last year, there were some really large breaks between the bands at the end of the day. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2201 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
More than likely delays with stage set up. I've notices that the time between sets is usually 15min. Thats not a lot of time. Id like a 20 min. Between sets. That way you dont eat up band time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2202 on: September 07, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
No particular insight to offer I'm afraid.

I don't know what PPUSA is normally like, but for festival headliners here 1.5 hours is pretty normal, which is basically just time for Visions plus one more long song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2203 on: September 07, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
No particular insight to offer I'm afraid.

I don't know what PPUSA is normally like, but for festival headliners here 1.5 hours is pretty normal, which is basically just time for Visions plus one more long song.

For ProgPower headliners are scheduled for two hours, but they are also the only act that can go over without any grief. Typically they are very stringent on the lower acts but headliners have all the time they need.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2204 on: September 14, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Anyone in the US check out the merch stand? Wondering how much cash I should bring.