Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440289 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2135 on: August 19, 2017, 02:49:02 AM »
To be fair, the backing vocals were never Haken's strongest asset when playing live.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2136 on: August 19, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
That falsetto is fucking painful to listen to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2137 on: August 19, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
On the backing vocals, I'm not going to defend them, as they are not exactly great in this, but I will say I've seen Haken a lot and they are never mixed this high in the audience mix. Typically they are quite a bit more buried and just adding the extra layer, not out front like that.

Edit: Also worth noting it's quite difficult to play drums and deliver those type of vocals.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2138 on: August 19, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
I respect them for trying.

lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: August 19, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »
I just wonder why Ray is singing falsetto at all, he could sing other melody in his own register, could sound better at least  :\
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2140 on: August 19, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
I just wonder why Ray is singing falsetto at all, he could sing other melody in his own register, could sound better at least  :\
I think it might be Conner rather than Ray. Ray normally sings in a normal register. He's actually got a pretty good tenor voice.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: August 20, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
I think it might be Conner rather than Ray. Ray normally sings in a normal register. He's actually got a pretty good tenor voice.

Oh really? I was almost 100% sure I saw only Ray sang to the mic in the chorus but I could be wrong. Interesting that they don't use backing track like many bands nowadays. They don't use click?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2142 on: August 20, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

Oh really? I was almost 100% sure I saw only Ray sang to the mic in the chorus but I could be wrong. Interesting that they don't use backing track like many bands nowadays. They don't use click?

They are too closely associated with Portnoy to use a click.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2143 on: August 20, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
As a Haken-noob, to me there is definitely a moment where the lead singer sings in a not-so-good falsetto, since it is the only vocal line that seems to sync up with what he is doing on stage.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2144 on: August 20, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »

They all play to a click now. They went from no click, to Ray only click, to full click. Just because you use a click doesn't mean you have to using backing vocal tracks.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2145 on: August 23, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
I'm seeing them in Toronto tomorrow!!! Anyone else?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
https://youtu.be/aLSmk1p9Fi0

A short interview with Hen and Charlie, and then a live clip of 1985 in full.

Love the glasses and how you can see the people who caught them wearing them from the stage  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2147 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
I have a question about their current setlist. Some sources say there´s an Aquarius Medley halfwat through the set, but I´ve seen reports where they played three songs off Visions instead: The Mind's Eye, Portals and Shapeshifter. I barely know Visions and dont know Aquaruis, and would liek to hear the songs they´ll play before the show tomorrow. Do you guys know what exactly they´re playing?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2148 on: August 23, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
I would check setlist.fm tomorrow because tonight's the first show of the NA leg.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2149 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
I would check setlist.fm tomorrow because tonight's the first show of the NA leg.

Will do. Thanks!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2150 on: August 23, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »
HAKEN, The Shelter, Detroit, MI, USA

1. Premonition
2. Nocturnal Conspiracy
3. In Memoriam
4. 1985
5. Red Giant
6. Aquarius Medley
7. Cockroach King
8. The Architect
9. The Endless Knot

encore

10.Visions
----------------
That's a hell of a setlist for me. I regret that I don't live in USA... They were in Poland in 2015 I think... or 2016... Anyway, I couldn't attend.... :(

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2151 on: August 24, 2017, 04:01:56 AM »
HAKEN, The Shelter, Detroit, MI, USA

1. Premonition
2. Nocturnal Conspiracy
3. In Memoriam
4. 1985
5. Red Giant
6. Aquarius Medley
7. Cockroach King
8. The Architect
9. The Endless Knot

encore

10.Visions
----------------
That's a hell of a setlist for me. I regret that I don't live in USA... They were in Poland in 2015 I think... or 2016... Anyway, I couldn't attend.... :(

I saw that!!! Really cool, but it´s a shame they took out Atlas Stone. That´s ok though, should be a great show tonight. I love that they added Premonition as the first song of the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2152 on: August 24, 2017, 06:31:38 AM »
Interesting set list.  If that holds up for this tour. one of the friends going with me is going to be annoyed as heck, since he is a monster fan of Falling Back to Earth and a solid/good fan of most of their other stuff. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2153 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:01 AM »
I think the most likely changes we'll see as shows push off is them rotating around the songs from Visions to keep everything practiced for ProgPower when they perform the album in full.

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #2154 on: August 24, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »
When I saw them in London earlier this year, Atlas Stone wasn't on the setlist, but it was still completely kickass :D

Offline LPMX

« Reply #2155 on: August 25, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »
Just heard from the promoter of their show in Québec City saying that the Nova Collective wouldn't be playing here because of visa issues (not Richard Henshall fortunately!). I'm guessing it'll be the same for the show in Montréal. That's a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing them play.  :tdwn

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2156 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Nova Collective weren't at the show in Toronto.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2157 on: August 25, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
Yeah I thought this was known - unfortunately the visa situation was really complicated for Pete. Dan and Matt don't need visas, being Americans themselves. As half the band is American, US customs wouldn't treat them as an overseas band, and so wouldn't do a band visa. Hen is on the Haken one, so he's fine, which just left Pete. He would therefore have had to apply for an individual visa, which probably would have taken too long and might not have been successful anyway.

Such a shame it didn't work out. Stupid American immigration systems.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2158 on: August 25, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »
Yeah I thought this was known - unfortunately the visa situation was really complicated for Pete. Dan and Matt don't need visas, being Americans themselves. As half the band is American, US customs wouldn't treat them as an overseas band, and so wouldn't do a band visa. Hen is on the Haken one, so he's fine, which just left Pete. He would therefore have had to apply for an individual visa, which probably would have taken too long and might not have been successful anyway.

Such a shame it didn't work out. Stupid American immigration systems.

And remember Hen was screwed when they played RoSfest a few years ago as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2159 on: August 25, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
I took this one right after the concert. Richard was quite nice!!

Soon after that I met Ross too, he was heading for their bus, and I just said "great show, man, thanks so much!!" and got a high five.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: August 25, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
 :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: August 27, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
Haken tonight!!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
Just talked to Diego on the street next to the venue. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: August 28, 2017, 12:10:39 AM »
That's cool :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: August 28, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »
Here is a very cool moment with Conner having a bass lesson with a young fan behind the venue last night.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: August 28, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
I saw on social media they were advertising doing music lessons with members of the band... is that how they are seriously doing them? lol just seems odd

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2166 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »
I saw on social media they were advertising doing music lessons with members of the band... is that how they are seriously doing them? lol just seems odd

That guy might've been the only one, haha.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: August 28, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
Yeah but it depends on timing.   maybe it was sound check for the other bands and they couldn't go on stage. you know sometimes somebody can't show up to the gig to the later and that's all they can do

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: August 28, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »
Yea, I mean, whatever works.  I'm just thinking if I paid for it, I'd be kind of bummed to get my lesson in the street  :lol but then again, maybe that's what they agreed upon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: August 28, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
The kid was enjoying every minute. At least what I saw.  I parked behind the venue and was blown away to see this.