Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437334 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2065 on: July 13, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
Yeah it really has some great parts. I really love the "Snow is falling all around me" as well. My critique is that it just doesn't feel as one coherent song to me.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2066 on: July 13, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
Yeah it really has some great parts. I really love the "Snow is falling all around me" as well. My critique is that it just doesn't feel as one coherent song to me.

True, but then again most epics don't feel like a coherent song. Even ACOS suffers from this imo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2067 on: July 13, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
It doesn't seem any less coherent to me than most other epics of similar length; the structure of it is fine.

For me, it just lacks any super amazing parts. The whole song ranges from solid to good, but when a song is that long, it has to be pretty freaking great for me to want to listen to it many times, and Crystallised just doesn't pass the sniff test for me in that regard.

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #2068 on: July 13, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
I haven't been around for a LONG time, but I seem to remember someone on this forum bringing up Haken when they were writing/releasing Aquarius.  Am I remembering this correctly?  I thought a friend/relative might have brought them up either here or in the Musicians forum.  Does anyone else remember this?

Sorry if I'm way out of the loop.  I've been away for awhile.

Favorite song is probably The Architect
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2069 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »
I'm guessing that might have been ariich. His brother was the original keyboardist in Haken (and plays with Rich now in Nova Collective), though he left before Aquarius was recorded.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2070 on: July 14, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »
I'm guessing that might have been ariich. His brother was the original keyboardist in Haken (and plays with Rich now in Nova Collective), though he left before Aquarius was recorded.
Sup. :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2071 on: July 14, 2017, 03:49:24 AM »
I do agree that the outro section in Crystallised, while good, feels a bit out of place. I have no problem with the rest of the song though. And I still like the outro, so it doesn't "hurt" it much at all.

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #2072 on: July 14, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »

Thank you.  I couldn't place who that was, but thought that it was in relation to the keyboardist.
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #2073 on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2074 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »
Sup. :hat

Sup Rich. What've you been up to? Finally getting around to all that sexing that was promised for later?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2075 on: July 15, 2017, 07:15:48 AM »
Should be interesting to see what the set list is on the tour this fall, their first big one in the U.S.

I would be stunned if Falling Back to Earth wasn't back in the set list.  They have to know how wildly popular that song is among their fans, and with them playing to many fans who are seeing them for the first time in various cities, not playing that would be...odd.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2076 on: July 15, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
Yea I'm hoping it's more of a "Greatest Hits" set list with no focus on any one album in particular.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2077 on: July 15, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »
Given that they have to keep the Shattered Fortress stuff rehearsed, and that they already threw in some new stuff for the 10th Anniversary tour, I doubt that they'll change up the set too much.

As for Falling Back to Earth specifically, I was happily surprised they left that out. Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning song and I love seeing it, but they played it at every show on both US tours so far, as well as in at least one set on all three cruises they've participated in. And it of course is lengthier and I'm glad to have fresh stuff in.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2078 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »
Right, but they are playing a lot of new cities and areas this time around.  Bring the heavyweights!! :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: July 26, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
Finally just purchased my ticket for the NYC show.  Kind of forgot to scoop that up.  Maybe the cheapest of the ~25 concert tickets bought this year  :metal :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2080 on: July 26, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »
Personally, I'd be very disappointed if they didn't play FBTE.  One of their best all time on the best album, imo.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2081 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
If it was up to me, they'd do 2 songs from each album, plus maybe something from the EP if there's still time. My picks:

The Point Of No Return
Celestial Elixir
Nocturnal Conspiracy
Visions
Atlas Stone
Falling Back To Earth
The Endless Knot
Darkest Light
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2082 on: July 26, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
Let me ask this...and I mean this respectfully.

I've twice now tried to listen to The Mountain. I get to the first track with singing, and I need to turn it off. Is that pretty much reminiscent of what Haken is about vocally?

Or can you guys recommend songs to check out? I hear so much positive commentary about Haken, and I'm always told to check out The Mountain, but...

Let me know what other tunes?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2083 on: July 26, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
Ross' voice is an acquired taste, but some people just don't like him.  I think he has a good voice but it doesn't do it for me on every song.  I'm mostly into Haken for the music.  It would be difficult for me to recommend you songs Samsara.  All I can say is try to stick with it and see if some of his vocals grow on you.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2084 on: July 26, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
I don't know, maybe try Affinity instead. Could be that the song Initiate would be more for you. Not sure though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2085 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
Its going to be like some people with Rush.  I know people who recognize that there is some amazing stuff going on there....but can't get past Geddy's vocals. 

Haken is just like that. 

Though, I can't imagine any Yes fan not digging it....because Ross (to my ears) is the 21st Century Jon Anderson. 

I will say that you really need to hear The Mountain all the way through.  And ESPECIALLY Falling Back to Earth. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2086 on: July 27, 2017, 03:18:29 AM »
I actually think that the singer on the Affinity album is a dead ringer for the other Yes vocalist, Trevor Horn on quite a few songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: July 27, 2017, 06:56:53 AM »
Yea, it seems Ross's voice is kind of divisive.  My first listen I wasn't totally digging it, but I kept coming back and eventually started to really enjoy it. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2088 on: July 27, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
Its going to be like some people with Rush.  I know people who recognize that there is some amazing stuff going on there....but can't get past Geddy's vocals. 

Haken is just like that. 

Though, I can't imagine any Yes fan not digging it....because Ross (to my ears) is the 21st Century Jon Anderson. 

I will say that you really need to hear The Mountain all the way through.  And ESPECIALLY Falling Back to Earth.

Good post dude.   :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: July 27, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »
I've never had an issue with Ross vocals, but I can understand that it's an acquired taste. I had a harder time with Geddy though (at least on the earliest albums).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2090 on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »
I've been relistening to Restoration and I must say I found new appreciation for Crystallized. The melody starting at about 4:20 and the entire "passages of time" section is so beautiful.

One of my favorite Haken epics.  :tup

I've never had an issue with Ross vocals, but I can understand that it's an acquired taste. I had a harder time with Geddy though (at least on the earliest albums).

True.  Geddy was a lot more raw and rough around the edges in the early days, but still loved it.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2091 on: July 27, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
Let me ask this...and I mean this respectfully.

I've twice now tried to listen to The Mountain. I get to the first track with singing, and I need to turn it off. Is that pretty much reminiscent of what Haken is about vocally?

Or can you guys recommend songs to check out? I hear so much positive commentary about Haken, and I'm always told to check out The Mountain, but...

Let me know what other tunes?
I've had the same problem with them when I was getting into their music so I know what You mean. But, I'm more into Haken because of music which is almost always, outstanding. I enjoy his vocals now, in some songs his voice is too sweet for me but as I said, music wins ;) You should try Affinity in my opinion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2092 on: July 27, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
All one has to do is read this thread to see what a MOUNTAIN Jennings' vocals were for me to overcome. :lol :lol

It took some time. but I mostly enjoy his voice now. There is still a moment there and a moment there that makes me wince a little, but I can overlook them now since everything else about the band is so good. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2093 on: July 27, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
I loved Ross' vicals from the first moment I heard it, and I still do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2094 on: July 27, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
His voice never bothered me.  It was the weird keyboard patches from the first 2 albums that bothered me. Glad they've got away from that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2095 on: July 27, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »
His voice never bothered me.  It was the weird keyboard patches from the first 2 albums that bothered me. Glad they've got away from that.
This.

Ross's voice has never outright bothered me, though he's only very seldom amazed me. I'd say he's just an alright vocalist though I think he has gotten better with each release.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2096 on: July 28, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
When Affinity first came out, I was crazy about it.  Maybe I listened to it too much.  For some reason, it just hasn't aged well for me.  Don't get me wrong.  Still a great album, but as far as aging goes, I think The Mountain has done a better job of that.  Anybody else?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2097 on: July 29, 2017, 12:55:00 AM »
Apparently there's new stuff coming next friday.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2098 on: July 29, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »
Just the opposite for me.  Affinity was just "really way above average....but not as good as The Mountain" for me.   But it has aged phenomenally for me.   The Mountain is personal for me on a lyrical level, so it will probably never be topped for that reason.   But Affinity is a huge musical leap forward.   I consider it to be musically superior to The Mountain, and Bound by Gravity is the greatest album closer they have ever done.   It may even be creeping into my all time top 10 songs by anybody. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2099 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
I haven't listened to Affinity since January probably, but that's because it made up like 80% of my music last year and I've been exploring new bands lately. Should give it a spin sometime soon to see how well it aged for me.