Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440654 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1995 on: June 04, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
The 10th Anniversary tour also makes sense since a lot of fans (especially outside of Europe) are getting to see them live for the first time. I've been following them since the beginning but they're only coming to Denver now, so I'm looking forward to a more "career spanning" setlist. After this I assume we're going to hear music from the first two albums less.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1996 on: June 04, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »
I honestly have no idea if they have been to St. Louis before, but it's pretty sweet that they are coming here this year now that they finally clicked with me.  :hat

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #1997 on: June 04, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
Is that a legit thing being discussed within the band?  If so, that would suck to see them become like Spock's, where the albums become less frequent because it is their hobby on the side, rather than their main gig/job.  Hopefully, the tour this year will go well, and you have to think that over half of the band playing on that Shattered Fortress thing could give them more exposure.
I believe they are looking to make Haken a full-time thing in the future. Pretty sure it was said in an interview, although I can't remember which one.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1998 on: June 05, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
Sorry for the confusion Kev, never meant to imply that Haken plans to become vastly less active, just that they currently can't support themselves on Haken and all have to rely on full time jobs.

Haken is one of the only bands I can think of that I could reasonably watch as a fan legitimately change from part time band to main gig, and I really hope they pull that off.

They've been on the rise in general, are getting a boost from The Shattered Fortress, and are using the 10th anniversary to keep things going. I really hope it all translates to them being able to continue to do it more full time in the future.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: June 05, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
I did not know these guys were not full timers.  I guess it makes sense given the musical field they are in, but they seem to have definitely been on a rise of late so that thought never even crossed my mind.  Having said that, I was thinking it would be cool if they were the opener for a DT tour in the states.  I think DT shows could benefit from an up and coming prog metal band opening and allowing DT to have 2 hour rotating setlists again and Haken would get a lot more exposure from a fan base that would more likely be into them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2000 on: June 05, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
I did not know these guys were not full timers.  I guess it makes sense given the musical field they are in, but they seem to have definitely been on a rise of late so that thought never even crossed my mind.  Having said that, I was thinking it would be cool if they were the opener for a DT tour in the states.  I think DT shows could benefit from an up and coming prog metal band opening and allowing DT to have 2 hour rotating setlists again and Haken would get a lot more exposure from a fan base that would more likely be into them.

Just because DT would move to a two hour set I don't think that automatically means they will rotate sets. And I would have to assume that if DT took an opener again Haken would have to be on the list of candidates.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »

Just because DT would move to a two hour set I don't think that automatically means they will rotate sets. And I would have to assume that if DT took an opener again Haken would have to be on the list of candidates.

Totally, wasn't really trying to tie this into a DT discussion, just thinking they could benefit (and I think DT too) from such a scenario.   I just think there is so much overlap and even more so potential overlap between fan bases that it makes a lot of sense (in my mind).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2002 on: June 05, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »
Is that a legit thing being discussed within the band?  If so, that would suck to see them become like Spock's, where the albums become less frequent because it is their hobby on the side, rather than their main gig/job.  Hopefully, the tour this year will go well, and you have to think that over half of the band playing on that Shattered Fortress thing could give them more exposure.
I believe they are looking to make Haken a full-time thing in the future. Pretty sure it was said in an interview, although I can't remember which one.

Gotcha.

Sorry for the confusion Kev, never meant to imply that Haken plans to become vastly less active, just that they currently can't support themselves on Haken and all have to rely on full time jobs.

Haken is one of the only bands I can think of that I could reasonably watch as a fan legitimately change from part time band to main gig, and I really hope they pull that off.

They've been on the rise in general, are getting a boost from The Shattered Fortress, and are using the 10th anniversary to keep things going. I really hope it all translates to them being able to continue to do it more full time in the future.

It's all good.  I was not aware that they were still working full time jobs and doing the band thing on the side, in essence.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2003 on: June 05, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
Kev, when I had dinner with Haken (Thanks to Nick!)We takes. About their aspirations of making Haken a full time job and what they did for work when not touring and recording.   

Hen was a blast to talk to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2004 on: June 05, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »
Um, what?  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: June 05, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »
We talked.  Come on man.  I know you speak Kingenese. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2006 on: June 06, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
Kinda sad that this is the state of the music business nowadays for artists of this style.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2007 on: June 06, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Eh, I don't think Haken's style was ever going to be marketable to a large audience. If anything, the internet has helped them reach an audience that might be unaware of them otherwise.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: June 06, 2017, 06:39:05 PM »
Live shows is what helps build an audience.   Now they are playing all over the world and that builds their fanbase.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2009 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
Live shows is what helps build an audience.   Now they are playing all over the world and that builds their fanbase.

Definitely, I never would have started listening to Periphery or Leprous if I haven't heard them supporting Devin Townsend in both cases.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: June 07, 2017, 12:20:27 AM »
Eh, I don't think Haken's style was ever going to be marketable to a large audience. If anything, the internet has helped them reach an audience that might be unaware of them otherwise.

It was thanks to DTF that I became aware of them, so yeah that is true :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2011 on: June 07, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »

It was thanks to DTF that I became aware of them, so yeah that is true :lol
Same here. And as Jake mentioned Leprous - I probably would never have listened to them if they didn't do a tour with Haken a few years back.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2012 on: June 07, 2017, 07:11:06 AM »

I don't disagree at all. I just think it's sad that in spite of the internet and a heightened amount of touring they aren't even at the point where the band can be their full-time job yet. It's depressing to think about the fact that, unless the music industry changes significantly, DT will be the last prog-metal band to really "make it" to the degree in which they did.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2013 on: June 08, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
Agree, it makes me kind of sad that this kinds of bands can't get a proper income out of their music while al those lousy R&B and hiphop artist are making millions out of their nonsense.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2014 on: June 08, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
Agree, it makes me kind of sad that this kinds of bands can't get a proper income out of their music while al those lousy R&B and hiphop artist are making millions out of their nonsense.

So because you don't like a style of music it's automatically nonsense?
kay.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2015 on: June 08, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »

kay.

He didn't say ALL R&B and hip hop....he said LOUSY R&B and hip hop.    Are you saying lousy R&B and hip hop don't exist?   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2016 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:12 PM »

kay.

He didn't say that.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2017 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
Well usually when people talk about a music style they tend to categorize it as a whole, so that's the way I took it.  :natalieportman:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: June 09, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
I think Mark from Epica said in an interview recently that you don't play this music to make money.  It's a sad reality because us, fans, love it and would love for our bands to be able to live off it (comfortably).

Getting out to a concert is the best way to support a band.  Hope Haken gets lots of love on their second trek around the US.

I've been catching Delain concerts for awhile now and watched them go from opener at small show to opener at bigger show to headlining small show.  If you keep touring, the fan base will grow, but you need to be able to tour consistently (Delain just announced another NA tour) and if you can't keep the band consistent because you can't survive then you can't keep touring either.  I got to think this second go around is big for Haken.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2019 on: June 09, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
I think Mark from Epica said in an interview recently that you don't play this music to make money.  It's a sad reality because us, fans, love it and would love for our bands to be able to live off it (comfortably).

Getting out to a concert is the best way to support a band.  Hope Haken gets lots of love on their second trek around the US.

I've been catching Delain concerts for awhile now and watched them go from opener at small show to opener at bigger show to headlining small show.  If you keep touring, the fan base will grow, but you need to be able to tour consistently (Delain just announced another NA tour) and if you can't keep the band consistent because you can't survive then you can't keep touring either.  I got to think this second go around is big for Haken.

It's not only attending concerts but the fans buying merch is crucial for a band to survive financially when touring. The tshirts and hoodies have a higher profit margin than a concert ticket or even the fee they get when they play live. I once bought a Fates Warning contract on Ebay...$500 bucks is what they charged the promoter to play...and this was when they were touring with Parallels or Inside Out I believe, which was when the band was more commercially successful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2020 on: June 10, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »
That is all true. but sadly I never buy merchandise at concerts. I bought plenty of concert t's my first few years as a concert goer, but I literally have not bought one since seeing Pink Floyd in 1994. :eek :eek  I was, however, thisclose to buying one at the Devin Townsend show last month, but the only shirts he had that I liked were all too small, otherwise I would have bought my first one in 23 years.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2021 on: June 14, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »

kay.

Never too late for a reaction ;)

First of all, I'm nog a big fan of that style of music and I think it gets too much attention on commercial radio.
Calling it nonsense might be a bridge too far but it's just an opinion.

I'm just a bit frustrated by the lack of attention and airtime for extremely talented bands like Haken (it's their topic..). Sure, it ain't for the masses but I feel commercial radio has a duty to ''educate' people musically.

DT for example will never be mainstream (and I'm happy with that) but they have a bunch songs (like Our New World) that are perfectly fitted for mainstream public.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2022 on: June 14, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
Eh, like anything else, commercial radio is a business, which means they need to make money, and they aren't going to do that by trying to educate the masses with a bunch of unknown artists that aren't going to appeal to them anyway.  This is why if you turn on your local classic rock FM station, you'll hear Black Dog, Hotel California and You Shook Me All Night Long all played 11 times a day.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: June 17, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »
What's your favorite Haken song?

Me:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7niXACtPE

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2024 on: June 17, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »
Probably Aquarium. Or Celestial elixir. :heart

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #2025 on: June 17, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
Haken are so talented, and they're all lovely people. I do hope it won't be too long before they can make a living solely off the band. I can only imagine how busy they must be, balancing full time jobs with writing, recording, and touring.

My favourite Haken song is probably Crystallised. :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2026 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »
A few weeks ago, I would have said Crystallized.   But recently, I've been getting more and more into Bound By Gravity.   Now I think that's taken over the #1 spot with a bullet.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2027 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
My favorite is Somebody.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #2028 on: June 18, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
Visions is great, love all their albums, Cockroach King Rules !!!!!  :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2029 on: June 19, 2017, 03:58:13 AM »
Usually I would say Pareidolia, but it has to be Bound By Gravity right now.