Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440186 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1750 on: March 18, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
except maybe Visions being the best album

wat

Hey, I'm not saying Visions is the best but I bloody love it and think it is only a hair behind The Mountain and Affinity. Visions doesn't seem to get anywhere near as much love as I think it deserves.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1751 on: March 18, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
I need to ask..

How is Haken pronounced?

Like Taken?

Like Hack'n?

Like Hawk en?

Its been bugging me lately..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1752 on: March 18, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
I need to ask..

How is Haken pronounced?

Like Taken?

Like Hack'n?

Like Hawk en?

Check the thread title  :lol

I'm assuming at some point it was titled Haken v. like Bacon then was updated to like Baconisions, v. The Bacontain  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1753 on: March 18, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
visions is just kinda bland tbh. it's not bad but it's flavorless compared to their other stuff

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: March 18, 2017, 03:54:25 PM »
I need to ask..

How is Haken pronounced?

Like Taken?

Like Hack'n?

Like Hawk en?

Check the thread title  :lol

I'm assuming at some point it was titled Haken v. like Bacon then was updated to like Baconisions, v. The Bacontain  :tup

Fuck me.. that didn't even register.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1755 on: March 18, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
Is it really like bacon? :lol I always thought thread title meant Haken is good as bacon. It seems like I've been pronouncing it wrong the whole time...   
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: March 18, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
I have been pronouncing it Hack-en

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1757 on: March 18, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
Yep, definitely pronounced like bacon. I'm pretty sure they have a t-shirt which even has a picture of Kevin Bacon on it  :lol or did I imagine that?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1758 on: March 18, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
At first I thought it was "Haa-ken" like the company that makes the Continuum (the cool synth-pad thing that Jordan Rudess first used on Octavarium), but after I became a fan, the band were quick to point out, on Facebook, that their name is pronounced like Bacon, but with a K.

For the longest time I was also mispronouncing Anathema - it's Uh-NATH-eh-ma, not Anna-THE-ma.

And regarding Visions, I'm on the train that loves it too. Something about the conceptual feel of the album where the title track's various themes are woven throughout the whole album, so that when you get to the end, it feels VERY cohesive. That closing epic is just truly amazing, though, especially the last part!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1759 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
And regarding Visions, I'm on the train that loves it too. Something about the conceptual feel of the album where the title track's various themes are woven throughout the whole album, so that when you get to the end, it feels VERY cohesive. That closing epic is just truly amazing, though, especially the last part!

-Marc.

Yep, I totally agree with this. It's the closing epic which really sells this album for me, it's like a perfect example of a prog epic, I truly love it  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1760 on: March 18, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
I have to admit that most of Visions is a blur for me.  Every time I try to listen to it, it just moves along with nothing really grabbing me.  It all sounds like well-played prog, but the hooks are not there for me on that one.  Same goes for the first album, too, except for that amazing instrumental section in Celestial Elixir.  I think almost all of their best songs are from the last two albums:

The Path/Atlas Stone
In Memoriam
Because It's There
Falling Back to Earth
Pareidolia
The Architect
Earthrise
Bound by Gravity

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1761 on: March 18, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »
Yep, definitely pronounced like bacon. I'm pretty sure they have a t-shirt which even has a picture of Kevin Bacon on it  :lol or did I imagine that?

That depends, can your imagination think up something quite this sexy?

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1762 on: March 18, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
6 degrees of Kevin Haken.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1763 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:12 AM »
I'm surprised by the lack of love for Visions. I think a lot of it is just down to the fact they've released more albums since, so people have something to compare it to. When it was newly-released, there was a ton of love for it. But then, I should be used to this. (Many of) You lot always seem to hate the great albums.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1764 on: March 19, 2017, 02:33:50 AM »
i've been following haken since their demo days & i felt visions was a bit of a disappointment on release. i've hardly ever revisited it since the mountain was released, and i still come back to aquarius occasionally

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1765 on: March 19, 2017, 02:35:07 AM »
I'm surprised by the lack of love for Visions. I think a lot of it is just down to the fact they've released more albums since, so people have something to compare it to. When it was newly-released, there was a ton of love for it. But then, I should be used to this. (Many of) You lot always seem to hate the great albums.
Yeah, I never liked Visions that much :lol. It has some great songs on it though, I love Shapeshifter, Nocturnal Conspiracy and Insomnia

I'm also not a huge Haken fan, but I think Aquarius and The Mountain are better in almost every aspect so it's more likely for me to put those ones on if I happen to listen to them
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1766 on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:23 AM »
I'll join the bandwagon too, never been able to get into Visions at all. I think everything they've been doing since then ranges from good to great though, especially Affinity.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1767 on: March 19, 2017, 03:08:31 AM »
I really do love all their albums and I'd rank The Mountain>Affinity>Visions>Aquarius>Restoration. Visions is quite a bit better than Aquarius for me, I guess Aquarius feels like the debut that it is and Visions feels more refined. As I've said before though, I love the title track and it is the main highlight. The rest of the album is pretty solid but it's the climax of the album that seals the deal for me. If I wasn't a fan of the title track though (and I can understand why some of you aren't) the album would end up ranking lower I guess.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:13 AM »
I'd rank Visions last of their albums. Not that there's anything wrong with the album, there's just no track that grabs me like their other albums do.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1769 on: March 19, 2017, 05:54:33 AM »
I'd rank Visions last of their albums. Not that there's anything wrong with the album, there's just no track that grabs me like their other albums do.

This.

Although the title track is amazing. I love when they play it live as last song and after they finish, the whole crowd goes OOOH-OOH-OOH-OOOOH-OOOH-OOOOOH and just continues to sing the melody! That always gives me goosebumps.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1770 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »
I never understood the pronounciation confusion. Why would it be pronounced any other way than Taken but with an H? Or why would any other way to say it be your first assumption?

Also, I think Visions is a fantastic album even though I rank it last among their full length releases.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1771 on: March 19, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
I never understood the pronounciation confusion. Why would it be pronounced any other way than Taken but with an H? Or why would any other way to say it be your first assumption?

When I saw the band's name in the font they used on Aquarius/Visions, I imagined a Scandinavian Black Metal band spelled Haah-Ken.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1772 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »
I don't think I've got through Visions entirely more than once. I just really don't like a single song except for Nocturnal Conspiracy.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1773 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:44 AM »
The first three songs on Visions are as fantastic as any of the band's other amazing songs. After that, the album starts to lose me and even with the title track doesn't pick up that much. But the first three tracks alone make the album better than Affinity overall.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1774 on: March 19, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
I always loved Premonition, fantastic intro. I don't really like the first half of Nocturnal Conspiracy. Some of the weakest Haken moments for me. Insomnia, Deathless and the 3-part suite in the middle are great though. Visions the song just blows me away.
Also I have to say, I never really liked the snare drum sound on Visions.

With Affinity they have taken their music to a whole other level. The keyboard sounds are amazing, Ray is just on fire, the melodies are great (Architect, wow). I love all Haken albums but I think Affinity is my favorite.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1775 on: March 19, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »

I did think it was pronounced "Har-ken" at first, because it made me think of the sea monster, the kraken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1776 on: March 19, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
I think The Mountain has higher highs than Affinity, but Affinity is far more consistent.  The Mountain has three songs I can do without (Cockroach King, As Death Embraces, Somebody), while Affinity really only has one skipper (Initiate), not counting the intro track 1.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1777 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »
while Affinity really only has one skipper (Initiate)

a.k.a the second best song on the album

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: March 19, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
while Affinity really only has one skipper (Initiate)

a.k.a the best song on the album

FTFM
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1779 on: March 19, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
I think The Mountain has higher highs than Affinity, but Affinity is far more consistent.  The Mountain has three songs I can do without (Cockroach King, As Death Embraces, Somebody), while Affinity really only has one skipper (Initiate), not counting the intro track 1.

Wow that's weird :D Cockroach King???

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1780 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Holy crap, I love this band.

They have been on non-stop rotation in my life for the past month or so.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »

In full agreement with Kev on CK and Initiate. For the record ;)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Still playing this stuff non-stop. As of now, my two favorite songs are Visions and The Architect.....but gonna keep spinning them before I come up with actual rankings. Just in awe at how ridiculously great this band is. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1783 on: March 19, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »

In full agreement with Kev on CK and Initiate. For the record ;)

*high five* :hat

I feel like I've addressed this 384 times already :lol. but musically it is great, but vocally it is not, IMO.  The vocals are way too cartoonish, and in a cringe-worthy way.  I get that it's a song most fans love, but it's not for me.  Those kind of harmonies I often do not like when Spock's Beard and Neal Morse do them (and I a huge fan of both of them). They often just sound silly.  And they were inspired originally by Gentle Giant, who I think sucks swap water.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1784 on: March 19, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »
Still playing this stuff non-stop. As of now, my two favorite songs are Visions and The Architect.....but gonna keep spinning them before I come up with actual rankings. Just in awe at how ridiculously great this band is.

Welcome aboard the Haken train! (Not sure if we serve bacon yet, but...)