Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440203 times)

Offline Estiui

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1715 on: February 07, 2017, 02:42:21 AM »
So, is The Mountain the only release without instrumental versions now? How cool would be having instrumental versions of every Haken release? Damn, that album is just too perfect...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1716 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:15 AM »
Does Restoration have instrumental versions? I don't remember.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1717 on: February 07, 2017, 04:29:03 AM »
Does Restoration have instrumental versions? I don't remember.

True, I think Restoration does not have them either.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1718 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if, eventually, The Mountain and even possibly Restoration get this reissue treatment, with the instrumental versions included.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1719 on: February 07, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »
They both are already under the control of Inside Out Music. I don't see a reissue happening soon.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1720 on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:39 PM »
Ah! Aquarius is finally on Spotify. *Dances naked*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1721 on: February 07, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
They both are already under the control of Inside Out Music. I don't see a reissue happening soon.

That, and The Mountain is such a vocal centric album.  So many songs would be incomplete or have a lot of empty space in them because of all the a cappella sections.

Restoration wouldn't be as bad. You'd only have to cut out that a cappella section in the middle of Crystallised(Starting at 9:16)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:21:31 AM by Metropolaris »

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1722 on: February 09, 2017, 06:39:43 AM »
Just seen the back cover of the Aquarius CD reissue on Amazon, and track 7 is listed as "Celestial", without "Elixir". Is it a typo or have they actually changed the song title 7 years on?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1723 on: February 09, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
I don't have my reissues in from Germany yet, but yesterday they introduced it as Celestial Elixir.

On the US tour I got to see it a couple of times, but Hen didn't have a keyboard along, so some parts were slightly different. Not a problem on the boat, finally got it in its full glory.

Also worth noting we got the premier of Lapse.

Also worth noting Bill and I beat Ray in soccer, so he has brought shame to his country.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1724 on: February 09, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
Also worth noting Bill and I beat Ray in soccer, so he has brought shame to his country.
Yeah Ireland sucks at football. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: February 10, 2017, 12:29:19 AM »
I'm waiting for the reissues to arrive, since I don't have the original versions on CD.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #1726 on: February 11, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
Already had Visions before the re-issue :>

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1727 on: February 12, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Anyone know why their albums aren't available as digital copies from Amazon and the like? I only buy downloads.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1728 on: February 12, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
Anyone know why their albums aren't available as digital copies from Amazon and the like? I only buy downloads.

Yes, they are available in Amazon.

Here's Affinity, but the others are available as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Affinity-Haken/dp/B01CA6IH6A/ref=sr_1_2_twi_mus_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486938107&sr=8-2&keywords=haken

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1729 on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »

Yes, they are available in Amazon.

Here's Affinity, but the others are available as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Affinity-Haken/dp/B01CA6IH6A/ref=sr_1_2_twi_mus_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486938107&sr=8-2&keywords=haken

Cool. I've been checking Amazon for a long time but I see they just came out with these re-issues last week. Nice!

I think The Mountain was available all along but the first two weren't available for download. I'm not a fan of Affinity but I've only heard it once. I'll be buying the first three definitely. Thanks.

Edit: Wow the bass sounds a lot more present on Aquarius. Very nice.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:29:57 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1730 on: February 14, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
Got my copies of the remasters on vinyl yesterday and listened to them today.

They sound great. Very well mastered. There was some concern in this thread about side 2 of Visions running long but it's not a problem at all. That album is sequenced unfortunately, since Mind's Eye-Shapshifter have to be on the same side, but it works out fine. Deathless is a mostly quiet track so it isn't affected by running toward the inner edge of the record. No compromise in sound quality.

The remaster is good. They didn't do a lot to it, but I think that's a good thing. They were able to maintain the spirit of the originals while evening out the edges. Small details like bass presence and cymbals are fixed up. That's all these albums needed.

Also, it's funny revisiting these albums now. They've changed quite a bit since Visions. Forgot how manic some of their songs were, structure-wise.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1731 on: February 15, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
Just seen the back cover of the Aquarius CD reissue on Amazon, and track 7 is listed as "Celestial", without "Elixir". Is it a typo or have they actually changed the song title 7 years on?

From what I've seen the CD is misprinted. The vinyl is correct.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1732 on: February 19, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
I have no idea why it took me this long to buy Affinity. It's great. 1985 is such a fun song and I love the whole thing about that song.

I'll be playing this a lot now. Not too much to get tired of it. But I don't usually do that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1733 on: March 03, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
Ok. I think I am officially hooked.

I am not the biggest fan of Ross's voice (too.. clean?) but still.. I think I am officially on the bandwagon.

I do have to say.. the riff at about 5min in on Celestial Elixir is so fucking pretty... it's kinda what pulled me in.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1734 on: March 03, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »
This is seriously one of those bands that I absolutely love every....single....note.  So rare that happens.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1735 on: March 03, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
I had not listened to one note of Haken until last week. Now I cannot stop, I just roll through the discography over and over. I can't believe I missed out on this awesomeness for so long.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1736 on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
What did it for me was seeing a proshot / recording of Celestial Elixir. Just seeing them pull this shit off live is awesome.

I actually listened to the debut and the second album a lot as background music a few years back, but never really digested it.

I gave them another try when Affinity came out.  But NOW Its finally happening.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1737 on: March 03, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »
Most of the first two albums still leave me hollow, but the bulk of the Mountain is pretty great, and Affinity is their best record yet. I think they are on the verge of making their first great record.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1738 on: March 04, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »
Most of the first two albums still leave me hollow, but the bulk of the Mountain Affinity is pretty great, and Affinity The Mountain is their best record yet. I think they are on the verge of making their first great record.
Agreed. The debut I just don't care for much of and Visions feels waaay too DT-like at times. I like it, but it has less of a personality than The Mountain and Affinity and I don't have much desire to go back and listen to it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1739 on: March 04, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
I've been listening to the first two albums a lot lately because of the remasters. Their sound has definitely changed for the better. Even listening to Affinity after the two albums, an album I wasn't crazy about, I at least prefer them going in that direction. A lot of songs on the first two albums are pretty bloated. Like Streams really doesn't need to be 11 minutes.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: March 04, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
It was pretty awesome on the cruise, I've met the guys from Haken each time I've seen them, to the point now where Ray and Richard recognised me and my friend :lol

Spent quite a bit of time drinking with Ray, singing karaoke with Ray and watching Portnoy with Ray  :rollin

On the last night we got absolutely hammered and we met outside the ship the next morning... looking pretty rough.

Pic related.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: March 04, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1742 on: March 04, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
Most of the first two albums still leave me hollow, but the bulk of the Mountain Affinity is pretty great, and Affinity The Mountain is their best record yet. I think they are on the verge of making their first great record.
Agreed. The debut I just don't care for much of and Visions feels waaay too DT-like at times. I like it, but it has less of a personality than The Mountain and Affinity and I don't have much desire to go back and listen to it.

I know what you mean. It's sounds like well-played prog, but the hooks aren't there, and it doesn't help that the singer's voice is always such an obstacle for me to get over.

I've been listening to the first two albums a lot lately because of the remasters. Their sound has definitely changed for the better. Even listening to Affinity after the two albums, an album I wasn't crazy about, I at least prefer them going in that direction. A lot of songs on the first two albums are pretty bloated. Like Streams really doesn't need to be 11 minutes.

Very true. I still think Celestial Elixir is pretty great, largely because that instrumental section in the middle is stellar (with the rest of the song being just good), but just about every other song on Aquarius feels like work to get through.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1743 on: March 04, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »
The second half of Drowning in the Flood is a top 3 all time Haken moment for me. 

That key change on the repeat.....GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1744 on: March 05, 2017, 02:35:25 AM »
The second half of Drowning in the Flood is a top 3 all time Haken moment for me. 

That key change on the repeat.....GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!!
Fuck yes. Best song on the album, though CE is also great.

I still love Visions, but yeah I agree that those two albums were still their formative years. The Mountain and Affinity are where they've really found their style and hit their stride.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1745 on: March 06, 2017, 03:17:31 AM »
Most of the first two albums still leave me hollow, but the bulk of the Mountain is pretty great, and Affinity is their best record yet. I think they are on the verge of making their first great record.

To me, The Mountain is the best album ever made. I think it is way more than a great record, to be honest.

And so are the others, they're all great albums, with a lot of variety and great melodies and sections.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: March 06, 2017, 04:48:08 AM »
I agree that they took a big step up from the first two with The Mountain. I prefer Aquarius over Visions (and CE is my favourite Haken track), I can't find anything on Visions that grabs me like the other albums do.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: March 18, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »
So...... back in the day ariich posted "Snow" on the forums, and I listened to it and loved it.

I remember when Aquarius was getting ready to drop and I was like "I'll get that".

But for whatever reason I never did.

Haken was a band that I knew that I would love if I gave a chance.

But for whatever reason I never did.

Finally, last Saturday, I signed up for Spottily. I thought of some bands that I wanted to check out but haven't purchased any of their stuff yet. (I don't illegally download music or mess with youtube). I put a shuffle on Haken to see what I've been missing... and holy shit. Shame on me.

I've been listening to it all non-stop. I'm not ready to rank anything.... except maybe Visions being the best album.... but damn, I missed out on a band that ariich gave us ground floor access to!

Better late than never I suppose! 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1748 on: March 18, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
except maybe Visions being the best album

wat

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1749 on: March 18, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
Told you, DoC! :P

Better late than never man, welcome to the club.

I be am boner inducing.