Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439385 times)

Offline Estiui

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1680 on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
I think Bound by Gravity is, by far, the weakest song in the album. It's just an OK song to me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1681 on: January 13, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »
I feel like "Bound by Gravity" is to Affinity, as "Space-Dye Vest" is to Awake, in a way.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1682 on: January 13, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
anyone know if there will be US-based vinyl available for the reissues? really want the color variants from InsideOut EU but its super expensive once you add the import shipping, so wondering if i can get something cheaper without missing out on something cool and limited  :mehlin
Try burningshed. Not sure if those are the colored ones, I assumed they all were but could be wrong. Anyway, it's $30 each including shipping which is pretty reasonable IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1683 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »
Supporting acts for the Haken tour confirmed:

- The Algorithm
- Next To None

Very weird line-up for a Haken show to be honest, but I bet the band is just friends with Portnoy and therefore made the connection with his son or something. I really really want to see The Algorithm so I might try and make it to this show even though I'm not dying to see Haken again.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1684 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:35 AM »
meh, i was hoping for some quality bands  :loser:

Now on a serious note, I have no idea who The Algorithm are and I don't really like Next To None. Their instrumentals are ok I guess, but I can't stand the teenage vocals

how come I like Spencer Sotelo then...? :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1685 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:47 AM »
You'll probably hate them lol (The Algorithm). It's one producer and a drummer IIRC, the producer is super cringy because he always turns knobs on the DJ booth like it is rocket science when really he is just adjusting the volume or something.

Their music is like extremely djent-y proggy electronic music, many would call them 'complex for the sake of complex'. I personally think they are awesome though, and their shows seem pretty sick.

Next To None sounds like an average metalcore band, but yeah, the vocals are pretty bad and are the single reason why I haven't put in the effort to listen to a full album despite the instrumentals being fine.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1686 on: January 23, 2017, 04:26:05 AM »
I don't know why you would make the assumption I wouldn't like them. I listen to a lot of electronic music and djent.  :biggrin: Definitely a weird combination though.
I checked out the songs "pointers" and "Trojans" and it's pretty dope to be honest. Must be very cool live, but god you were 100% right about the producer/guitarist guy. Definitely will check them out more after I'm finished with my exams.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1687 on: January 23, 2017, 05:03:30 AM »
Alright, cool! I don't know, for some reason I assumed you didn't like electronics in metal.

"Bouncing Dot" is my favourite song, though the new album "Brute Force" as a whole is probably stronger than the album that song is off (forgot the name even).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1688 on: January 23, 2017, 05:27:32 AM »
Alright, cool! I don't know, for some reason I assumed you didn't like electronics in metal.

Might be because I bashed the electronics in Periphery's Remain Indoors a lot back when the album was released. I still believe that those are trully horrendous electronics though.
Jake's electronic album is my favourite thing to spin when I'm studying something that doesn't require full concentration.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1689 on: January 23, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
This is one of those very rare instances where the US made out on touring... we got Thank You Scientist and Europe gets... not Thank You Scientist, to put it kindly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1690 on: January 23, 2017, 06:53:41 AM »
This is one of those very rare instances where the US made out on touring... we got Thank You Scientist and Europe gets... not Thank You Scientist, to put it kindly.

Yea, I'm still waiting to see Thank You, Scientist. Coheed and Cambria toured over here twice last year and TYS supported on neither  :censored

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1691 on: January 23, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »

Yea, I'm still waiting to see Thank You, Scientist. Coheed and Cambria toured over here twice last year and TYS supported on neither  :censored

meanwhile C&C never come to my country so don't complain  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1692 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »

meanwhile C&C never come to my country so don't complain  :lol

Fair point. Too easy to take these things for granted  :lol thanks for the reality check.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:59:19 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1693 on: January 31, 2017, 01:03:28 AM »
Isn't this cool, peaceful and goosebumps-giving?

https://www.facebook.com/RichHenshall/videos/700525333449293/

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: January 31, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
Haken is headlining the opening night at ProgPower USA in September?  I just noticed that.  Very cool!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1695 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
https://metalblade.com/novacollective/
Very interesting side project :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1696 on: January 31, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »
Haken is headlining the opening night at ProgPower USA in September?  I just noticed that.  Very cool!
With all of Visions live :o
https://bravewords.com/news/haken-streaming-remastered-version-of-streams-track-band-look-back-on-aquarius-in-new-video

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1697 on: February 01, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: February 01, 2017, 06:39:09 AM »
With all of Visions live :o
https://bravewords.com/news/haken-streaming-remastered-version-of-streams-track-band-look-back-on-aquarius-in-new-video

Woah, that remastered Streams sounds nice!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1699 on: February 01, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
It seems almost remixed, very good job!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1700 on: February 01, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
Yes, better than I expected. The "deadly" section in the middle seems to be held back by limitations of the mix, but the rest of the track is a clear improvement.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1701 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
Been listening to the remasters for a couple of weeks now. I won't say there isn't improvement, but overall I haven't been as taken by them as you guys are. Did some side by side comparisons and it's definitely better, but only marginally I thought, though it is of course louder.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1702 on: February 01, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
I'm just excited for the albums to be officially available again.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1703 on: February 01, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
I'm just excited for the albums to be officially available again.

Same! I'm probably going to pick up both albums on vinyl even though I own both on CD already :lol . I also thought the remaster of Streams improves on the original, it sounds a bit less cluttered and more open and clear. I especially heard the difference with the snare drum and the clearness of the vocals.

Offline me7

« Reply #1704 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »
Been listening to the remasters for a couple of weeks now. I won't say there isn't improvement, but overall I haven't been as taken by them as you guys are. Did some side by side comparisons and it's definitely better, but only marginally I thought, though it is of course louder.

How does the Visions remaster fare compared to Aquarius?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1705 on: February 03, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
I reviewed Haken's reissues with fresh ears, having only heard Affinity from them before. I already got some shit from a fellow staff member for criticizing Celestial Elixir, so this might be a controversial read. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1706 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »
I reviewed Haken's reissues with fresh ears, having only heard Affinity from them before. I already got some shit from a fellow staff member for criticizing Celestial Elixir, so this might be a controversial read. :lol

It's "Drowning in the Flood" not "Lost in the Flood" (just pointing out an oversight)......and I *LOVE* the ending of that track!!!   The key change over the harmony is literally my favorite moment on the entire album.

Just shocked.   Everyone carry on...  :metal

EDIT:  And you still haven't heard their best album....their masterpiece....IMO, the best prog rock album of the ENTIRE DECADE!!!!   I'm dying here!!!   :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline me7

« Reply #1707 on: February 03, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
And you still haven't heard their best album....their masterpiece....IMO, the best prog rock album of the ENTIRE DECADE!!!!   I'm dying here!!!   :lol

You should have read the review more thoroughly. He clearly stated that he had listened to Affinity ;)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1708 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
And you still haven't heard their best album....their masterpiece....IMO, the best prog rock album of the ENTIRE DECADE!!!!   I'm dying here!!!   :lol

You should have read the review more thoroughly. He clearly stated that he had listened to Affinity ;)

And you call yourself a disciple...

criticizing Celestial Elixir

Offline me7

« Reply #1709 on: February 03, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »
And you call yourself a disciple...
I, indeed, have strayed far from the path :blush

Anyway, I listened to the remastered Aquarius today and find it to be a mixed bag. I like how the low end is less boomy and makes bass lines easier to follow, but the added compression is really annoying at times.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1710 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »

How does the Visions remaster fare compared to Aquarius?

Sorry, missed this. I think the obvious thing with them being both remastered at the same time by the same person is that they end up sounding a little more like each other.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1711 on: February 03, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »

??? Why would you criticize their best song??

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1712 on: February 03, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
Waiting on the vinyl to listen to the remastered Aquarius, but my main problem was the drum sound. Is it better?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1713 on: February 04, 2017, 03:02:25 AM »
Having only listened to a couple of the songs so far, I'd say the drums is the biggest difference. In my opinion they are much better and clearer/cleaner now.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1714 on: February 04, 2017, 05:05:33 AM »
It's "Drowning in the Flood" not "Lost in the Flood" (just pointing out an oversight)......and I *LOVE* the ending of that track!!!   The key change over the harmony is literally my favorite moment on the entire album.
Whoopsie, thanks for pointing out that error!

??? Why would you criticize their best song??
That's the exact comment I got from the fellow writer. :P I don't like the circus sections, but the rest of the song is fine - more than fine actually, because that chorus = :hefdaddy