Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437306 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1400 on: May 29, 2016, 10:04:19 AM »
According to setlist.fm it already is. It has a lot of shows missing I guess so it might not be perfectly true.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1401 on: May 29, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
Interesting. I assumed that would be Celestial Elixir or Visions.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1402 on: May 29, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Interesting. I assumed that would be Celestial Elixir or Visions.

Celestial Elixir is one they don't play as much live. They keep this as a special song to whip out occasionally, like they did last Friday.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1403 on: May 29, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
OK, I didn't know that! I thought it was their typical closer (alternating with Visions).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1404 on: May 30, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
I've been living under a rock and totally forgot that Haken released an album. Holy Shit I am loving it :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. Affinity is easily the best Album of the year. After so many disappointing releases by all my other favorite bands, Haken saved the day and the year with something truly special. I can't decide which track is my favorite with so many stand outs. I've only given it a few spins and it is consistently great, not a single weak track in the bunch. Bravo Haken, Bravo!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1405 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:41 AM »
I like the album.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1406 on: June 01, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »
I've been living under a rock and totally forgot that Haken released an album. Holy Shit I am loving it :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. Affinity is easily the best Album of the year. After so many disappointing releases by all my other favorite bands, Haken saved the day and the year with something truly special. I can't decide which track is my favorite with so many stand outs. I've only given it a few spins and it is consistently great, not a single weak track in the bunch. Bravo Haken, Bravo!

Amen to that.  Honestly, the only part of this album I don't care for is the 20 or 30 sec growling section in "The Architect".  Not that I don't like growling vocals, but it just didn't quite do it for me they way they did it.  If they had been deeper like in "Streams", I could probably appreciate them more.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1407 on: June 01, 2016, 04:01:22 PM »
Yeah, I could see why people wouldn't like those growls, I don't think they're spectacular either on the original. Ross did them himself live though and it was pretty amazing, the dude can growl alright.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1408 on: June 01, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »
That entire instrumental part of The Architect really brings it down to me to be honest. It's a shame, because the first part and the outro could easily make it the best Haken song.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1409 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:43 AM »
Yeah, I agree, The Architect has some awesome parts, as the intro, the first vocal part, and the ending. However, all the middle part just is not as good, for me.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1410 on: June 02, 2016, 06:47:33 AM »
After a few more listens, The Architect turned out to be pretty awesome. Love the rhythmic theme in the instrumental part.

Also, seeing Haken this month! Woo!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1411 on: June 02, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »
Bought Affinity today. Listening now for the first time. Really impressed by it.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1412 on: June 02, 2016, 04:01:47 PM »
I just came from Haken's gig in Barcelona, what a concert!! It's a shame that concert halls are actually NOT prepared to host concerts, acoustics-wise.   :sad:

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1413 on: June 03, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
I've had the EP and 4 albums on shuffle for a few days now.  Nothing but Haken since the release of Affinity.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1414 on: June 06, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
Okay, a buddy of mine (who has a similar opinion to me on the band) burned me a copy of the new CD recently and I listened to it in the car for much of the last few days. 

The really good:

Earth rise (really good song)
Bound by Gravity (another really good one)
The beginning of The Architect (the first minute is killer)
The mix (everything sounds great)

The pretty good, and could be even better with more time:

1985 (vocal melodies are falling flat with me on this one, but musically it is quite good)
Red Giant (something about that herky jerky stuff they do is cool in this one)

The not so good:

Initiate (what a bland opening song, not counting the short intro tune)
The rest of The Architect (that first minute is so great, and then they cut it off and go into this DT-like unison stuff that ruined the cool vibe they had built up; the rest of the song is okay, but nothing has grabbed me)

Overall, sounds like a good, solid album.  I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.  A slight step back from The Mountain, which was mostly good, but a big step up over the first two albums, except for the stellar Celestial Elixir.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1415 on: June 06, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
Considering I only got The Mountain (my first Haken album) back in January, all of their albums still feel fresh and new to me. I seriously love all of their output. After giving Affinity a few listens I probably would have rated the albums:

1. The Mountain
2. Aquarius
3. Restoration
4. Affinity
5. Visions

Visions and Affinity (still the album I've listened to least) are growing on me big time and getting better with each listen. I do really love Aquarius though, something about it hits the sweet spot for me. I might have to just rate all their albums as a five way tie soon  :hefdaddy

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: June 06, 2016, 07:05:12 PM »
I listened to Affinity on a work trip today and it stunned me even harder after a few weeks of ignoring it (for fear of over-familiarity ruining it for me). This album is such a meisterwerk (after Visions), man. My album of the year if Devin Townsend doesn't beat it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1417 on: June 06, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
put restoration at the bottom and my ranking lines up with luke's exactly tbh

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1418 on: June 07, 2016, 02:33:06 AM »
put restoration at the bottom and my ranking lines up with luke's exactly tbh

I think Restoration will likely end at the bottom eventually. Visions is growing on me especially at the moment, more so than Affinity. I'll give it another month or two and I'll rank again.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1419 on: June 07, 2016, 02:59:58 AM »
Visions is the only Haken album I wouldn't call great or good, but just okay. I'm not a fan of the title track at all.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1420 on: June 08, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
Visions may not be great.  It may not even be good, but I think it's great.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1421 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I seriously don't understand what you're trying to say here? It's great, but not good? I'm confused.

In other news, Affinity still rules. It's definitely battling The Mountain for the top spot valiantly, though it doesn't quite reach The Mountain's lofty heights. I'd still consider both of them a tier above their first two albums (which are good, but I feel like I love them far less than most people do).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1422 on: June 08, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
Just finished another spin of Affinity. Even though I already loved it at release, it managed to grow on me even more. It has the maturity of The Mountain and moves me emotionally in the way Aquarius did. I never could decide whether I prefer Aquarius or The Mountain, Affinity is shaping up to become the best of both worlds.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: June 08, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I seriously don't understand what you're trying to say here? It's great, but not good? I'm confused.

I think he means that objectively it might not be good, but he still loves it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1424 on: June 08, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »
In the interest of not reviving the old "is there objectivity in music" discussion, I'll just step out of this politely if that is indeed what he meant.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: June 08, 2016, 04:44:18 PM »
Y'all are being insane about Visions anyway. It is unquestionable brilliance. I find it really strange when people are all over The Mountain and Aquarius but don't get Visions. It's mind-boggling.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1426 on: June 08, 2016, 05:01:56 PM »
It's hard for me to get past the first 3 tracks on Visions and Aquarius without getting tired. I think they really hit balancing and sequencing right with The Mountain, and refined it further on Affinity (though I think The Mountain flows better).
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1427 on: June 08, 2016, 05:04:01 PM »
I love a few tracks off Visions, Nocturnal Conspiracy and Shapeshifter mostly, but I never enjoyed the full album as much.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1428 on: June 08, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »
I love a few tracks off Visions, Nocturnal Conspiracy and Shapeshifter mostly, but I never enjoyed the full album as much.

Nocturnal Conspiracy has a killer first part, but I kinda nod off as it progresses.
They really hit the vibe of the song in the first part, it truly feels dreadful and menacing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1429 on: June 08, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
Visions is at time great, and at times alright. It's their only long song that I do not find to be stellar. I think The Architect, Crystallised, Falling Back to Earth, and Celestial Elixir are all superb, and Visions just falls short of all of them. It's a big part of the reason I find Visions as an album to be their only non-excellent release to date, which kills me, as I'm actually in the thanks for Visions.

That said, I still really enjoy the album, and it is not in any way bad, it just does not put me over the top as every other release has.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1430 on: June 08, 2016, 07:02:19 PM »
Sometimes I like being wrong.

I gave The Architect another shot on the way to work this morning...and it sounded really good.

Listened again a bit ago on the way home...and it sounded even better than really good.

I guess I just have to accept that my normal process with this band will always be, I am never wild over their stuff at first, usually because it always takes time to warm up to the vocals, but once I get used to and can deal with them, the good songs come off as really good.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1431 on: June 09, 2016, 03:08:04 AM »
Could we somehow do a top-10 Haken song ranking or something like that?

Edit: yes, we can. Vote!!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=47512.0

Edit2: you can explain here or there your particular order, if you want.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:29:43 AM by Estiui »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1432 on: June 09, 2016, 04:02:30 AM »
We do that every year with Elite's Haken survivor, but that's a different kind of list I guess.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1433 on: June 09, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
Just posted this in the 'Top 10 Haken songs' poll but wanted to post it here too:

So, I've listened through all the albums this afternoon, ranking the songs as I went along, and managed to make a top 10. Most of this came as much of a surprise to me, never really ranked individual songs. Usually just stick with attempting to rank the albums of bands. So anyway:

1. Aquarium
2. Visions
3. Celestial Elixir
4. Premonition
5. Cockroach King
6. The Path
7. Atlas Stone
8. Because It's There
9. Pareidolia
10. 1985

So that's

Aquarius - 2
Visions - 2
The Mountain - 5
Restoration - 0
Affinity - 1

Controversial comments to follow. After listening through I've realised that I really like both Aquarius and Visions, more so than Affinity at this point. The Mountain is my favourite, I think, because of the vocal delivery of the whole band. There are some great vocal harmonies that elevate this album above everything else they have done. Affinity still has room to grow as it still hasn't had as many listens as all the rest. However, I'm not feeling as strongly towards it as a lot of other people. I appreciate the feel/sound they were going for, I really like it and do feel it sounds fresh. Do I like as much as their other albums? No, not at this point. Restoration is a nice listen but it's my least favourite, but that's probably due to it being an EP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1434 on: June 09, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
Hmm, top 10 Haken songs you say...

In no particular order...

Eternal Rain*, Insomnia*, Celestial Elixir, Cockroach King, Falling Back to Earth, Pareidolia, Crystallised, 1985, The Endless Knot, The Architect

With both Eternal Rain and Insomnia, it was hard to pick one song from the respective albums, though I believe both deserve to be recognized aside from Celestial Elixir which is an easy choice. There are 3-4 tracks from both the first two albums that I could have chosen in place of Eternal Rain or Insomnia.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1