Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440554 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1015 on: April 30, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
there are many albums where the epic isn't the best song, like octavarium

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1016 on: April 30, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »
no u
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1017 on: April 30, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1018 on: April 30, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
yes, this is the reaction i was hoping to get
(i'm not kidding tho)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: April 30, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Were playing too.  Everybody has their personal favorites.

BUT STILL!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1020 on: April 30, 2016, 04:37:22 PM »
I will say this, These Walls offers the best 7-minute chunk of music on the album, but Octavarium is still the better song.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1021 on: April 30, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
These Walls, Sacrificed Sons and The Root of All Evil are all miles ahead of Octavarium

Also Affinity is amazing. Contrary to other people, I'm really loving The Architect, definitely in my Top 3 on the album, along with 1985 and either Earthrise or Bound by Gravity, depending on how I'm feeling from day to day. But really, the whole album (aside from Lapse, which I have trouble remembering much about, sadly) is just stunning. Not sure if it's as good as The Mountain, but it's definitely a worthy follow-up.

Tentative ranking:

1. 1985
2. The Architect
3. Bound by Gravity
4. Earthrise
5. The Endless Knot
6. Red Giant
7. Initiate
8. Lapse
9. affinity.exe

I guess the middle ground might be subject to change, both the Top 2 and the bottom are pretty much locked in.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: April 30, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
This album is just phenomenal.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1023 on: April 30, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
Sacrificed Sons and The Root of All Evil are all miles ahead of Octavarium

TROAE isn't miles ahead for me, but overall I agree with this statement.

For me, it's kinda refreshing that for once the best song in the album isn't the epic.

Wait The Architect isn't the fan favorite here? I love it! Easily my favorite, got better with every listen for me too.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1024 on: April 30, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
After 3 or 4 more spins today, I'm liking it more and more.   And Initiate (which I was extremely lukewarm on at first) is quickly becoming a favorite.

Still not feeling The Architect.   I love parts of it.  I'm sure it will continue to grow on me. 

The strength of the mellower tracks are what's really impressing me.  Lapse, Red Giant, and Bound By Gravity are just GORGEOUS pieces of music.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #1025 on: May 01, 2016, 12:59:18 AM »
Didn't expect to be alone in saying this, but The Architect is now God-Tier for me, along the likes of Visions, Celestial Elixir, FBTE. Like every epic, it feels "meh" on the first few spins. But when it clicks? Sweet baby Jesus! Also, PHENOMENAL ending. Everything from the guitar solo reprise of Initiate's chorus to the end is just  :omg:

A prediction of how the beginning and end of setlists are going to look like:

0. affinity.exe
1. Initiate
12. The Architect
---
13. Bound By Gravity

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1026 on: May 01, 2016, 02:36:34 AM »
A prediction of how the beginning and end of setlists are going to look like:

0. affinity.exe
1. Initiate
12. The Architect
---
13. Bound By Gravity

The beginning seems pretty obvious, but please DON'T end with Bound by Gravity. I'd say more, don't play it  :-[

I'd love to hear something like:

0. affinity.exe
1. Initiate
2. 1985
3. Drowning in the Flood
4. Portals
5. The Endless Knot
6. Crystallised
7. Atlas Stone
8. Pareidolia
9. Earthrise
10. The Architect
11. Falling Back to Earth
12. Visions/Celestial Elixir

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1027 on: May 01, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
The beginning seems pretty obvious, but please DON'T end with Bound by Gravity. I'd say more, don't play it  :-[

.... I love Bound by Gravity  :blush

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1028 on: May 01, 2016, 06:36:31 AM »
Checked out some of the new songs online, and I suspect my experience with this will be the same as always with Haken: my lack of fondness for the singer is making it difficult to grab me at first, but I will eventually come around to liking some of it.  The music definitely sounds really good in that songs I listened to.

I honestly hate Cockroach King.

Looks like I am not alone.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1029 on: May 01, 2016, 07:44:47 AM »
Checked out some of the new songs online, and I suspect my experience with this will be the same as always with Haken: my lack of fondness for the singer is making it difficult to grab me at first, but I will eventually come around to liking some of it.  The music definitely sounds really good in that songs I listened to.

There is a complete instrumental version of the record included in this double CD version if you dig the music.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1030 on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
I appreciate the link :), but instrumental music of a CD that normally has vocals doesn't really interest me.

Plus, I don't like Haken that much to spend that kind of money on a double CD.

Plus part II, I don't buy CDs anymore (except on special occasions).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: May 01, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
I appreciate the link :), but instrumental music of a CD that normally has vocals doesn't really interest me.

You mean like the $11.88 I spent on it? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1032 on: May 01, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »

.... I love Bound by Gravity  :blush

Most of us do.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1033 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »

You mean like the $11.88 I spent on it? :lol

Exactly. :lol

Fine, remove that from my post and my other two points still stand.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: May 01, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
 :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1035 on: May 01, 2016, 11:15:49 AM »
I'd happily buy the two-disc version if it wasn't a stupid digipak. Jewel case for me, baby!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1036 on: May 01, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
I ended up preordering the digipak because I didn't know a jewel case existed :-[

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1037 on: May 01, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
This is such a great album! Though the music isn't nearly as emotional as The Mountain's, which I felt would be the case, the songwriting is more mature and concise and is their most musically genius album yet. I'm not sure if I can put it above The Mountain yet, but time will tell.

If I had to rate the songs it would probably be:

Excellent:
1. 1985
2. The Architect
3. Lapse

Great:
4. The Endless Knot
5. Bound By Gravity
6. Affinity.exe/Initiate

Good:
7. Earthrise
8. Red Giant

Not a stinker on the album, at least on first impressions. Also the first Haken album where I don't feel urged to skip any songs :biggrin:
It took until 2016 for me to actually like and appreciate The Mountain as much as I do, but Affinity I enjoyed from the first listen.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:22:30 PM by Nearmyth »
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1038 on: May 01, 2016, 05:59:16 PM »
Yeah, that's a good way to put it, The Mountain definitely feels more emotional. I think that there are definitely moments here which reach as high or higher than The Mountain, though, but I'd still rate The Mountain higher.

I agree with the sentiment that the "epics" aren't necessarily the best songs here this go around. While 1985 and The Architect are amazing, I find myself coming back to Earthrise, The Endless Knot, and Bound by Gravity the most.

And ariich, despite Nick's interception here's your high five returned kind of late! *\o Earthrise definitely stands as my favorite.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1039 on: May 01, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
I dunno... Early days still, but I think this is better than The Mountain and more emotional, too. It just keeps getting better
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1040 on: May 02, 2016, 05:19:52 AM »
I dunno... Early days still, but I think this is better than The Mountain and more emotional, too. It just keeps getting better

I love The Mountain, but I appreciate that Affinity seems to be a little smaller in scale.

Offline Cordez

« Reply #1041 on: May 02, 2016, 06:06:18 AM »
10:17 of The Architect sounds like it was taken straight from an Opeth song.

Yeah it sounds like its directly taken from Drapery Falls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1042 on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:22 AM »
I am absolutely blown away by how great this album is. I dare to say I am more blown away than by The Astonishing (there I said it, now you are allowed to slaughter me). The Mountain needed some time, and in the end kicked DT12 from the throne of the album of the year 2013. Affinity had the Aquarius Effect on me: I am so speechless. There is just so much going on! The Architect, MY GAWD. 1985 is one hell of beast as well. I love the Dubstep-Metal part in Endless Knot, as well as the part that sounds like a snippet out of a House-Set right before the beat drops (I don't like House dough).

For anyone wanting to find out about reprises and things to discover in Affinity, stop reading here:
Has anyone noticed the two Initiate reprises in the album? The chorus comes again at the end of The Architect, and the first rhythm pattern can be found at the end of Bound By Gravity before the coda I think. Also, I noticed the "Shifting frame by frame" reference from 1985 in Endless Knot.
BTW, "frame by frame" - King Crimson anyone? Together with the Neal Jack & Me guitars in the verse? Cool reference.

I can't believe that this has not been discussed more:

Has anyone decoded the Morse code at the end of Bound by Gravity yet? Which by the way is a phenomenal way to end the album.

Edit wingof war on reddit states Okay, first part of Affinity.exe is .- ..-. ..-. .. -. .. - -.-- which spells out... you guessed it, AFFINITY. After the other ambient noises kick in it's hard to hear. But it for sure starts with .... .- (which spells out HA so we can assume it spells out HAKEN).

Gravity is weird. I'll update as I go. It looks like the right channel is slowed down morse too.

>AFFINITY HAKEN *LM985 AFFINITY HAKEN *LM98 HAFFINITY HAKEN

Basically it keeps repeating HAKEN AFFINITY and LM98 (I think) on the left channel. Right channel looks like morse, but I can't find a pattern in it. Maybe someone better at listening can pick it out. I've only practiced enough to pick out words at about 7 wmp, so this was super challenging to pick up by ear.

* for unsure

This is VERY INTERESTING in my opinion! And it makes Affinity a lot more sympathetic. You can see so much love for details here. AWESOME. I would love to know what LM98 could mean.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: May 02, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »
I am absolutely blown away by how great this album is. I dare to say I am more blown away than by The Astonishing (there I said it, now you are allowed to slaughter me).

I MUCH prefer Affinity over TA, so you'll get no slaughter from me :P

We're talking Album Of The Year material right here.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1044 on: May 02, 2016, 08:15:47 AM »
I went on Amazon.com on Friday afternoon and bought the MP3 version - it was only available in the deluxe version (all songs with and without vocals) if you wanted MP3 but that was fine, it was $3.00 more than a regular album but I'm cool with that.  $3.00 for an instrumental version of the album -which I will listen to- is more than fair in my mind.  And a good way for them to make a little extra scratch, which I'm also OK with.

So, anyway, this is a band that I've really wanted to love but just never could seem to figure out what all of the hype was about.  Now, don't get me wrong here.  There is no doubt that this is an extremely talented group of musicians.  My biggest beef with them has been that I always felt like that quirky/complexity thing was being milked a little too much and the result was the albums are very, very dense and take a very long time to sink in.  Plus, for me at least, I need a little more emphasis on melody rather than complexity in order to connect with a piece of music on an emotional level.  I found that while I very much enjoyed listening to Aquarius, Visions, The Mountain and the Restoration EP, I never really connected with any of the songs and I am still hard pressed to name any tracks on any of those albums.  I rarely reach for them. 

Despite all of this, I still admire their skill and talent and enjoy their music enough that spending a few bucks on a download version of their album is the least I can do to support a good band that's putting out this kind of music.  And to my pleasant surprise, after two spins I've gotta say that this one is definitely going to be my favorite of the bunch.  The vocalist has improved with each release, and that's good because I've generally considered the vocals to be the weakest element with this band.  But with this new album I think they did a much better job of keeping the vocals more interesting, more melodic and less....I don't know...angular?  The melodies are smoother and they built some nice harmonies in a lot of places that I've really not heard a lot of on previous albums.

To me, the mark of a good musician is one who can play their instrument and not get distracted or upset by criticism.  The mark of a great musician is one who takes criticism as assistance and uses it to propel themselves forward.   I'd put Haken -and particularly Ross Jennings in the latter category. 

It's far too soon for me to rate it, but if my gut is right - and it usually is - this one's going to be my favorite of theirs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1045 on: May 02, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
the astonishing is incredibly meh so i'm already pretty sure i like this one more even after just one listen

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1046 on: May 02, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
You'd get slaughtered if you said The Astonishing is better :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: May 02, 2016, 10:15:30 AM »
Excellent:
1. 1985
2. The Architect
3. Lapse

Great:
4. The Endless Knot
5. Bound By Gravity
6. Affinity.exe/Initiate

Good:
7. Earthrise
8. Red Giant

"Earthrise" and RG are actually two of my favourites on the album right off the bat. The first part of E and the second part of RG in particular are up there with the band's finest moments.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1048 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »
the astonishing is incredibly meh so i'm already pretty sure i like this one more even after just one listen

Absolutely!  Just listened to it for the first time earlier.  Love it!

You'd get slaughtered if you said The Astonishing is better :lol

Yeah, because Affinity slaughters TA!  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1049 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »

Yeah, because Affinity slaughters TA!  :2metal:
I wouldn't say that myself because I love TA but Haken is probably more loved than DT on DTF :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...