Author Topic: DT should rework their old demos like Haken did  (Read 4698 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
DT should rework their old demos like Haken did
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
I thought this today and I found this as a really good idea. DT has really good demo material from the Majesty era and if they do a little or a little more rework for them, that could be more than awesome. Haken did really good work with their Restoration EP. I also think that this would be perfect time for DT to do this, I actually don't need a new album next year but this could be very different for them.

So, this is a wish for DT members (James, you at least find this some day ;) )

What is your opinion fellow forumers? Happy Halloween!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: DT should rework their old demos like Haken did
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
I would be quite thrilled if for the next tour or three they re-worked an old demo and just played it for the tour. Another Won was a hands down highlight of the Octavarium tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
I would be quite thrilled if for the next tour or three they re-worked an old demo and just played it for the tour. Another Won was a hands down highlight of the Octavarium tour.

Exactly.

Another Won, Your Majesty, Two Far, A Vision and Vital Star would work really well in their current setlist if they did a little rework for them.

And maybe Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing This Song Song too... :D

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:33:18 AM by YtseJamittaja »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
I really don't see that happening without Portnoy. He was the one who cherished DT's history more than anyone, cataloging every little bit. These days, they really seem to be more focused on looking forward than back.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
I really don't see that happening without Portnoy. He was the one who cherished DT's history more than anyone, cataloging every little bit. These days, they really seem to be more focused on looking forward than back.
This.

Also, I don't think the songs are good enough to have them re-recorded. They are 50+ men that are more than halfway through with their music career, and as TGP suggests they are way more interested in looking forward than backward. Also, the songs sound like they were written by 18 year old guys because hey, they were written by 18 year old guys  :lol

The closest we came to hearing a remake of old material was WDADRU, but that probably was a Portnoy thing (like most DT-archives related stuff).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
I agree, I'm not sure that JP or JM care all that much about the old demos, and I can't imagine the other 3 members caring much about them at all.  So, all of that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
I do love Another Won, and I do think it's a pretty well written song with great energy, but hey, we have it on Score, and that's more than we could ask for.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »
I agree with the above sentiments. MP was the one who enjoyed digging in the archives, and the new DT has made a point out of saying that they look forward, not backward.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
I would be more interested in seeing reworked songs from WDADU (I think Afterlife and The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun could be improved greatly by the involvement of a more experienced hand), but I don't think even that is likely. You have to remember, only JP and JMX were even around back then, while with Haken much of the current lineup was there for the demos.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »
I'm totally in for the reworked Majesty demos and the re-recorded WDADU, NOTE for NOTE (yes, I really LOVE these songs and its arrangements).

And all FII unreleased tracks (minus that Metropolis 2, plus Take Away My Pain - original arrangement) re-recorded note for note too.

All of this would be nice as a bonus disc in a new cd or in a "DT special box set for fans that already have it all released before". But honestly I always prefer new music by DT than any re-recordings.

But... like most of us, I don't see that happening without MP. Even with MP, I think my whishlist is a big task!  :biggrin:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
I would love to see them rework several of their old songs from WDaDU on back to the first Majesty demo just to see what they could do. I wouldn't want them to release it as a stand alone album, but if they were bonus tracks on the second CD of a deluxe version of their next album or B-sides to a single (like what Maiden did with Charlotte the Harlot '88 and Prowler '88), that would be cool. It would especially be nice to have completed versions of The School Song, Cry For Freedom and Resurrection of Ernie, which I think are 3 really cool songs that I wish they had completed (or in the case of CFF, that they had recorded a complete version of the song).

That said, I don't imagine it ever happening for the reasons others have already mentioned. Even if MP were still in the band, the chances of him convincing the rest of the band to do it would be pretty slim. After they did the WDaDR show in LA, I asked him if they'd do all the Majesty demos in 2006, and he told me that when he came up with the proposition of doing all of WDaDU for the 15th anniversary, he promised the rest of the guys that they wouldn't have to do all the Majesty demos in 2006.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
And all FII unreleased tracks (minus that Metropolis 2, plus Take Away My Pain - original arrangement) re-recorded note for note too.

I think they sound just fine on the Cleaning Out The Closet CD. They all sound polished and well mixed, without that muddy wet fart sound that plagues the FII demos, and most demos. So I'm more than happy with just that.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »
I would love to see a tour devoted entirely to the pre WDADU stuff on a tour in 2015 (20 years, for those who don't math)
If they had Another Won, Two Far etc. and maybe Chris' version of afterlife? I would love to see that. (If i'm correct, there aren't any demos of that, are there?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
I would love to see them rework several of their old songs from WDaDU on back to the first Majesty demo just to see what they could do. I wouldn't want them to release it as a stand alone album, but if they were bonus tracks on the second CD of a deluxe version of their next album or B-sides to a single (like what Maiden did with Charlotte the Harlot '88 and Prowler '88), that would be cool.

This would be my thoughts exactly.

If they can spend a week or two recording some covers for a bonus CD (Black Clouds) then I don't see why they couldn't do something simple like this.  The songs don't have to be meticulously sweated over every little note like new material does so it really shouldn't be much of a chore at all.  But the issue really is, as has been said, do the guys even remotely want to go to the archives.

And it's not just re-recording them, it's also re-working them, which could actually be exciting to go back and change things a little here and there to make them seem more modern and fresh.  Look what they did with A Change of Seasons... totally new intro and some INSANE key/guitar unisons that are still my favourite that I'll never hear again, but they tweaked the old version to give us the final version.

I'd love something like this to happen.  It doesn't have to be every song either, maybe 2-3 as bonus tracks for the final few albums they put out before they retire.  If they break it up into smaller chunks each album it wouldn't feel like a chore at all.

Offline 425

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »

I think they sound just fine on the Cleaning Out The Closet CD. They all sound polished and well mixed, without that muddy wet fart sound that plagues the FII demos, and most demos. So I'm more than happy with just that.

But how accessible is Cleaning Out the Closet? I just checked eBay—there are two copies listed currently, one for $90 Buy It Now, and the other an auction starting at $65 with a Buy It Now option at $85. I think most people can't really justify spending enough money to buy a good seven or eight albums on a few unreleased tracks (side note, this is the first I've actually heard of the COTC versions being different from the FIID versions). If they'd do some form of re-release of that material, sure, but saying "we already have COTC" isn't really adequate in my opinion because anyone who wasn't in the fan club back when that CD came out would have to pay an arm and a leg to get it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »
Of the 6 Majesty demo songs, 4 are easily in my bottom 10 songs in DT's history. 

With that said, I am glad I have a live version of Your Majesty with James on vocals (since I got the first edition of the Lifting Shadows book).

I would especially like to hear them do something with A Vision.  I love the version with Charlie

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
I would love to see a tour devoted entirely to the pre WDADU stuff on a tour in 2015 (20 years, for those who don't math)
Really?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
Really?

The tour is called Stuck in the Past.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
None of the pre-IaW era stuff is worth revisiting imo. If it wasn't even good enough for WDADU, then it's beyond all hope.
It's the same when I look through older stuff I've done, whether it's music or graphics or whatever. It's better and quicker to just start from scratch than to salvage something that's more work than its worth. You can't polish a turd etc.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 04:39:36 AM »
Really?

I was referring to his math ability.

Although I don't see a large market for the tour idea, either.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 06:58:42 AM »
Really?

I was referring to his math ability.

Although I don't see a large market for the tour idea, either.
I know it won't happen for that exact reason. I would love it though.
Also, as people breezed over this, do you know if there is a recording of Chris' version of afterlife?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 07:03:48 AM »
Not sure.  Not that I know of (or would be interested to have).

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
or would be interested to have
No? I would love to have it. I would never listen to it, because his vocals are the only thing I hate more than myself, but it would be quite a cool thing to own.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
No? I would love to have it. I would never listen to it, because his vocals are the only thing I hate more than myself, but it would be quite a cool thing to own.
If you would never listen to it, why would you want it?

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »
I highlighted "It would be quite a cool thing to own"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 07:39:26 AM »
And I highlighted WHY

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »
do you know if there is a recording of Chris' version of afterlife?

All I have heard is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHay50qt10

So terrible vocals.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:08:27 AM by YtseJamittaja »

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
I would love to see them rework several of their old songs from WDaDU on back to the first Majesty demo just to see what they could do. I wouldn't want them to release it as a stand alone album, but if they were bonus tracks on the second CD of a deluxe version of their next album or B-sides to a single (like what Maiden did with Charlotte the Harlot '88 and Prowler '88), that would be cool.

This would be my thoughts exactly.

If they can spend a week or two recording some covers for a bonus CD (Black Clouds) then I don't see why they couldn't do something simple like this.  The songs don't have to be meticulously sweated over every little note like new material does so it really shouldn't be much of a chore at all.  But the issue really is, as has been said, do the guys even remotely want to go to the archives.

And it's not just re-recording them, it's also re-working them, which could actually be exciting to go back and change things a little here and there to make them seem more modern and fresh.  Look what they did with A Change of Seasons... totally new intro and some INSANE key/guitar unisons that are still my favourite that I'll never hear again, but they tweaked the old version to give us the final version.

I'd love something like this to happen.  It doesn't have to be every song either, maybe 2-3 as bonus tracks for the final few albums they put out before they retire.  If they break it up into smaller chunks each album it wouldn't feel like a chore at all.

That was and is my idea of what they should do. I'd be very into this.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
I say, since they're using backing tracks now, bust out Dont Look Past Me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
I had never listened to the demos before the Score show, and Another Won was a real treat for me. I went back and listened to the demos, and then never did again, because, well, I didn't enjoy them.

I think resurrecting another one (ha) for the next tour might be a good idea. But there are so many great songs in their catalog now, many of which deserve a spot on the next tour, it just isn't worth it to replace one with an old demo. And I don't think the songs themselves are good enough to warrant an album/EP release. Though a bonus disc type release isn't a bad idea.

Anyone (Scotty?) have any idea how long it took them to get Another Won up and running for that tour?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
This.

Also, I don't think the songs are good enough to have them re-recorded. They are 50+ men that are more than halfway through with their music career, and as TGP suggests they are way more interested in looking forward than backward. Also, the songs sound like they were written by 18 year old guys because hey, they were written by 18 year old guys  :lol

The closest we came to hearing a remake of old material was WDADRU, but that probably was a Portnoy thing (like most DT-archives related stuff).
While this is a perfectly good argument against simply re-recording the old demos, what the OP is suggesting is completely reworking them in line with the way the band is now. That's what Haken did with their Restoration EP, and the songs are completely different.

I think it's a really cool idea, but I agree with most people that DT are unlikely to be interested.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »

Its cool to own things

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
I've started to re-read Lifting Shadows, and this time, I'm actually listening to DT's chronilogical discography as I do it, including old demos, bootlegs, etc. And I have to say, upon my most recent listen of the Majesty Demos, I do admit, I think it would be awesome to hear some of those songs in a much more polished quality, with James on the vocals.
Another Won was a pleasant example, from Score, but man, if we could have something like that for, A Vision, I think it would be amazing. Again, not even gonna bother keeping my fingers crossed for something like that, but I do think that it would be really enjoyable.