Author Topic: Ambient music with samples  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Ambient music with samples
« on: October 29, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »
Can you help me to find electronic/ambient band that use spoken samples from movies or something like that? I heard for one in someone's top albums list but I can't recall the name :-\
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Ambient music with samples
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:39:55 AM »
Burial - Untrue.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
Are you looking for a specific band? 'Cause I feel like "ambient band with samples" is going to turn up a lot of results.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
Burial - Untrue.
This. Any burial album/EP should be right up your alley.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »
I don't know/remember if you've listened to Kevin Moore's post-DT projects, but you should check out Chroma Key's You Go Now if you haven't - it's not ambient per se, but electronic-based, atmospheric music and includes a lot of samples.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
Thank you :tup
Are you looking for a specific band? 'Cause I feel like "ambient band with samples" is going to turn up a lot of results.
I don't know :D I heard one band that build music on samples and I can't remember it's name but all recommendations are welcome.
I don't know/remember if you've listened to Kevin Moore's post-DT projects, but you should check out Chroma Key's You Go Now if you haven't - it's not ambient per se, but electronic-based, atmospheric music and includes a lot of samples.
Yes, I did. And I love it. Also, great example for what I'm looking for is Space Dye-Vest. Ambient and atmospheric with samples. I don't know... I'm just sucker for samples in music even though some of them are very random :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »
I heard one band that build music on samples and I can't remember it's name but all recommendations are welcome.
DJ Shadow's Entroducing... is built almost entirely of samples. It features trip hop, electronic elements, and some hip-hop (but not rap ;)). Ulver's Perdition City also features lots of samples along with dark ambient, jazz, and trip hop - it isn't named Music to an Interior Film for nothing.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
I heard one band that build music on samples and I can't remember it's name but all recommendations are welcome.
DJ Shadow's Entroducing... is built almost entirely of samples. It features trip hop, electronic elements, and some hip-hop (but not rap ;)). Ulver's Perdition City also features lots of samples along with dark ambient, jazz, and trip hop - it isn't named Music to an Interior Film for nothing.
Just stared listening to Endtroducing and song Building steam with a grain of salt is what I was looking for. Thank you very much :) Will check rest of album later and that Ulver album, too.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
Thank you very much :) Will check rest of album later and that Ulver album, too.
You're welcomed, those are some amazing albums on their own. Btw, forgot to mention F♯ A♯ ∞, by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, truly masterpiece of post-rock an music in general. And don't forget about the Burial album ;) .

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
Thank you very much :) Will check rest of album later and that Ulver album, too.
You're welcomed, those are some amazing albums on their own. Btw, forgot to mention F♯ A♯ ∞, by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, truly masterpiece of post-rock an music in general. And don't forget about the Burial album ;) .
I like Godspeed You (well, what I heard so far). And Burial is kind of music I rarely listen to but I checked him on YT and I actually like it. Everything in this thread is gold :)

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
Why don't you try some Boards of Canada as well? Their debut (the masterpiece know as Music Has the Right to Children) would be a great start  ;)
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
Much of Kevin Moore's earlier work, as well as his Chroma Key project have many ambiance-driven music with tons of samples from old vintage movies, radio broadcasts, and much more. He has also done a few movie soundtracks that are completely ambiance, and while there's little sampling, it's there in bits and pieces. I'd start with Chroma Key though. Very soothing music with tons of sampling. The OSI project is more progressive rock than ambiance, but even they have some music that ambiance heavy that includes some sampling.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
Why don't you try some Boards of Canada as well? Their debut (the masterpiece know as Music Has the Right to Children) would be a great start  ;)
My friend is listening to them so I already heard some songs and I like it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:21:11 AM by Tomislav95 »