Poll

How many of these do you think fit well together as one composition?

Wait for Sleep + Learning to Live
20 (11%)
A Mind Beside Itself
15 (8.2%)
The Mirror + Lie
20 (11%)
Hell's Kitchen + Lines in the Sand
14 (7.7%)
Scene Two (Overture 1928 + Strange Deja Vu)
26 (14.3%)
Scene Three (Through My Words + Fatal Tragedy)
25 (13.7%)
Scene Seven (The Dance of Eternity + One Last Time)
10 (5.5%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
28 (15.4%)
Vacant + Stream of Conciousness
24 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: How many of these do you think fit well together as one composition?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Enigmachine

I probably should specify that I know some of these aren't songs as defined by the band. What I mean is that it would make more sense for when you are on an iPod or something to listen to the tracks together as one rather than how they are split on the albums they appear on. For example, I would consider Vacant and Stream of Conciousness (at least ideally, as DT have played the songs seperately) a single entity as to me, Vacant seems like a prelude to SoC and both are enhanced when they are together. It sort of reminds me of how Starless by King Crimson is structured due to both having a quiet beginning with vocals and then a long instrumental part is introduced with a repeat of the main theme from the beginning somewhere in there.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:24:38 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: How many of these would you consider songs?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Six Degrees.

Offline mikeyd23

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
Six Degrees only.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
I would say that all of those groupings are meant to be listened together.

But the only one that I would consider one song is Six Degrees.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
Went with Mirror+Lie and Scenes 2&3, they are the obvious choices. Going against the flow with regards to SDOIT, yeah, it's technically a song, but there are concept albums more cohesive.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »
For me, SDOIT is the only song. I think just seguing one into another, or having a common theme is not enough. Partially I would say the songs are the ones considered songs by the majority of people.

And I would consider ITPOE a single song too... or at least I did for my top 50.

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »

And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »

This.  Not sure why there is even any confusion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline Enigmachine

Re: How many of these do you think fit well together as one composition?
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
I think I'll change the topic name to avoid confusion with what the poll is asking. I've said that I know that most of these aren't songs, but I'm asking if you would rather listen to these tracks combined rather than seperated and if the whole feels complete and cohesive.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
I have listened to all of those individually, as well as coupled together.  I don't think they HAVE to go together, but they certainly complement each other and work well together.

But I certainly have no problem listening to Wait For Sleep OR Learning To Live, or Hell's Kitchen OR Lines in the Sand.  They don't HAVE to be listened to together for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
Hef is right again.

The only ones that are a little weird to listen to individually are the ones that don't have an intro or outro of their own. Like I would not very often listen to O28 or SDV on its own, and I would never listen to Through My Words as a standalone piece, because what's the point? But with Hell's Kitchen or Learning to Live or Vacant, sure, I'll listen to those and any songs comparable to those on their own.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
How do I change the topic name?

Quote from: hefdaddy42
I have listened to all of those individually, as well as coupled together.  I don't think they HAVE to go together, but they certainly complement each other and work well together.

But I certainly have no problem listening to Wait For Sleep OR Learning To Live, or Hell's Kitchen OR Lines in the Sand.  They don't HAVE to be listened to together for me.

I don't really mean this as a be-all end-all decision for how you must listen to the songs, but I'm just seeing how everyone prefers to look at and interpret Dream Theater's music, albeit in a kind of superficial way. Personally, I consider all of the choices to be a cohesive entity apart from HK + LitS simply because there is no repeating themes and no explicit grouping like there is with the SfaM scenes but I wouldn't see it as unreasonable to consider them linked.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
How do I change the topic name?
Use the "Modify" function on your original post.

Quote from: hefdaddy42

I don't really mean this as a be-all end-all decision for how you must listen to the songs, but I'm just seeing how everyone prefers to look at and interpret Dream Theater's music, albeit in a kind of superficial way. Personally, I consider all of the choices to be a cohesive entity apart from HK + LitS simply because there is no repeating themes and no explicit grouping like there is with the SfaM scenes but I wouldn't see it as unreasonable to consider them linked.
Sure.   :tup

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »
 Thank you, the topic name is now closer to what I meant.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
The only ones that are a little weird to listen to individually are the ones that don't have an intro or outro of their own. Like I would not very often listen to O28 or SDV on its own, and I would never listen to Through My Words as a standalone piece, because what's the point? But with Hell's Kitchen or Learning to Live or Vacant, sure, I'll listen to those and any songs comparable to those on their own.

Yeah, Through My Words is a nice little segue, but even though it is a separate song, it isn't something you would usually listen to by itself, just like any other segue from other bands (e.g. My Empty Room, Transcendence, etc.).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
Not that most people consider it as such, but technically, A Mind Beside Itself is one composition. If it were separate songs, then there would be no need for the title "A Mind Beside Itself" nor for the 3 parts to be labeled using roman numerals. Even when MP initially was going over the setlists with me for the tourography, whenever all 3 parts were played in sequence, he never spoke of "Erotomania, Voices and The Silent Man" but rather just of "A Mind Beside Itself".

That being said, most fans would consider Erotomania, Voices and The Silent Man as 3 separate songs, which is understandable. Each part is distinctly different from the other 2; each part is tracked separately on the CD; and as far as I can remember, the band never made reference to it being a 20-minute epic in the same way as they did when ACoS was released.

In any case, I did vote for AMBI (and SDoIT). But I wouldn't be surprised if only a few people agree with me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
SDOIT

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »
I agree with you, Scotty.  The connective tissue between the Silent Man chorus melody and the guitar solo in the middle of Erotomania does a great job of connecting it all together, and the flow is extremely good.  To me, while I often listen to them individually (cause I am not always having time for a 20-minute song, so it's easier to have them as is on the CD, as separate tracks), it's one piece of music.  Plus, The Silent Man lyrics clearly demonstrate the aftermath to what happened in Voices.

Offline adamack

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
The ones which stand out most to me are:

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Vacant/Stream of Consciousness

Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »
Not that most people consider it as such, but technically, A Mind Beside Itself is one composition. If it were separate songs, then there would be no need for the title "A Mind Beside Itself" nor for the 3 parts to be labeled using roman numerals. Even when MP initially was going over the setlists with me for the tourography, whenever all 3 parts were played in sequence, he never spoke of "Erotomania, Voices and The Silent Man" but rather just of "A Mind Beside Itself".
I understand all of that, and I wouldn't disagree, but it would make sense to refer to it as AMBI if all 3 were actually played.  But there were plenty of times when all three weren't played.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
As I'm not a fan of SDOIT and I don't find it cohesive at all, I would actually say none. Through My Words / Fatal Tragedy is the closest one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
I understand all of that, and I wouldn't disagree, but it would make sense to refer to it as AMBI if all 3 were actually played.  But there were plenty of times when all three weren't played.

just like there have been plenty of times when all eight sections of 6DOIT weren't played. :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

just like there have been plenty of times when all eight sections of 6DOIT weren't played. :biggrin:
Such insolence shall not be tolerated!

Or something.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »
The only one of these that is a song is SDOIT. Pretty much all of these groupings are intended to flow together in some way, so beyond that is getting into semantics. Call them suites, scenes, pairs, tagalong parasites, doesn't really matter. A rose by any other name still sounds as sweet. :biggrin:

Just like there have been plenty of times when only sections of ACOS were played. Those are just the logistics of having such damn long songs. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »
I think each of those sets fits well together as a single composition. The question is, which ones seem incomplete without each other, and to that, I would say Vacant and SOC, and Through my Words and Fatal Tragedy.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
LOL! You said exactly what I was going to! Great minds think alike!   :metal

Just like there have been plenty of times when only sections of ACOS were played. Those are just the logistics of having such damn long songs. :lol
Exactly. Which just furthers the point that AMBI is a song!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
Exactly. Which just furthers the point that AMBI is a song!   :biggrin:

It really doesn't. :lol
They play the songs individually. It's therefore one song!

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »

To be fair though, there have been times when they played parts of A Change of Seasons separately too. Just sayin'.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »

To be fair though, there have been times when they played parts of A Change of Seasons separately too. Just sayin'.

I did mention that only a few posts up! How they play their music live really isn't an indication of whether something is a song/suite/concept/hoe-down. It comes down to the logistics of playing long songs live, hence the fact that they haven't played songs like ACOS and 8V in so long.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »
I did mention that only a few posts up! How they play their music live really isn't an indication of whether something is a song/suite/concept/hoe-down. It comes down to the logistics of playing long songs live, hence the fact that they haven't played songs like ACOS and 8V in so long.
Ditto for AMBI.   :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »
Ditto for AMBI.   :biggrin:

Get over it, bud. It's a suite. :)

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
All I know is that Voices is a hell of a lot better by itself, without Erotomania before it, dragging it down.