Author Topic: Future MM's drumkit  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
Future MM's drumkit
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
As we saw on the MP period of DT, the drumkit was always something that you expect when an album came out.
With MM there's haven't been that much of a change, maybe that new blue tone he got to the kit and i think there were some cymbals changes.
Personally, i would like to see a mayor change in his drumkit, just for the fun of it, even though i can't imagine what he could do to come up with a awesome kit as cool as the one he has now.
what do you guys think?
Want to see a Mangini's siamese monster?  :biggrin:
or something crazy and completely different from the current kit?
Do you want him keep his drum kit?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Future MM's drumkit
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »
Aside from the color changes, he moved and/or changed some pieces to better fit the music.  I think this trend will definitely continue because that is the kind of player Mangini is.  But I am pretty sure he will keep the same basic setup.  He has taken years to develop it, and it both fits his playing and the music, so I would not expect a major change.

Interestingly, up close, it is not as huge as it looks from far away.  Given how many pieces there are, the entire kit is amazingly compact.  Unlike Portnoy's kits, Mangini can reach everything in the kit by only minimally moving his body.  Given that, and given that he is a relatively small guy, the kit reall isn't all that big.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
I think MM's kit looks bigger due to being on two levels. It makes it look like a house. But still doesn't look as big as MP's stupid siamese nonsense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
I think MM's kit looks bigger due to being on two levels. It makes it look like a house.

That, and the fact that he is a small dude makes it look bigger when he is playing it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Xenon

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
I am not a fan of that kind of "cage" setup so I would like that to change, but a purely aesthetic preference so I don't mind it too much.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »
Not a big fan of the "house" approach either. I think specifically if he got rid of the front top bar and just had stuff hanging from the sides, that would open up the kit more.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
I love his kit! 

-It isn't over the top

-It's practical

-It's symmetrical

-It has everything he needs

-It's got Mangini behind it

I can't ask for anything else

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:05 PM »

-It's got Mangini behind it

I can't ask for anything else
Exactly. Not sure what there is to even talk about.

Gee I wonder what JM's bass is gonna look like on the next tour..  :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »

Black?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:33:43 PM »

Black?

Actually there is quite a bit of variety in a drumkit that can be moved or changed or added / subtracted.

A Bass is 4 to 6 strings. That's about it.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
With my kit, I've always found the octobans so hard to place, because they get in the way of the hi-hat in some spots and if you put them too far to the left of you, they're hard to play/get to. Mangini has an interesting setup with the octobans (or cannon toms as Pearl calls them)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »
With my kit, I've always found the octobans so hard to place, because they get in the way of the hi-hat in some spots and if you put them too far to the left of you, they're hard to play/get to. Mangini has an interesting setup with the octobans (or cannon toms as Pearl calls them)
I have a great place for my couple of octobans so that I can always use them in fills comfortably:

However, since I'm always adding to my kit, I recently ordered another pair of octobans and an 8 inch tom. The tom will take the place of the octobans and now I gotta find a good place for them. Thinking about putting them immediately to the left of the hi-hat, in two rows instead of one.

MM's octoban setup is the best that I can imagine and he's also using them very resourcefully (probably because they're set up inventively). I bought them purely because I was inspired by MM and especially his Enigma Machine drum solo. This video is a funny testament to that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-Xh64f7u0

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
*snip*

Dayum that's nice. I miss being able to play drums. Unfortunately my current situation doesn't allow for that much noise.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
I would like for him to scale back, use a kit like the one he had with Steve Vai.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
The finish on those shells is really nice!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
I would like for him to scale back, use a kit like the one he had with Steve Vai.

That is a nice-sized kit, yeah.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
I would like for him to scale back

Yeah, man... I wish JP would get rid of his A and G string. Perhaps JR can switch to a 44 key keyboard. JM could cut his hair. JLB could scale back and forget about the room temperature water with honey.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
I would like for him to scale back

Yeah, man... I wish JP would get rid of his A and G string. Perhaps JR can switch to a 44 key keyboard. JM could cut his hair. JLB could scale back and forget about the room temperature water with honey.

Do not know what was the point of your comment, but ok. I was just expressing my opinion.

I'm also of the opinion that MP also had too many drums. My issue is not only with MM, but also with MP.

Sorry you could not add more than "Yeah, man...."..Seems like you scaled back on your words

Offline badger

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
big fan of MM, but I would like to see him drop the extra bass drums on each side. 
When did we all let you down?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
big fan of MM, but I would like to see him drop the extra bass drums on each side.

Yeah the two extra just look silly. The kit actually looks fairly reasonable if you take them out.

Offline badger

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
exactly

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
Who are you to even make that determination?  That's about as inappropriate a critique as I can possibly imagine.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »

But there's a purpose to having that many kicks. Here is his explanation:

"Starting with the bass drums: there are four acoustic bass drums, one 26″ diameter bass drum to the far left on a slave double pedal so I can reach it. Two 22″ diameter kick drums in the middle on regular single pedals and then an 18″ diameter bass drum to the right on a righty slave pedal. So the far right and left kick drums are set up on slave pedals from the double pedal so that they can be placed where I can reach them. The purpose of the four kick drums is firstly that the two 22″ kick drums are the main kick drums for double bass playing, although I don’t use them in a typical fashion. In other words, I’m not always leading with my right foot; sometimes I lead with the left foot depending on the part of the song. With the 26″ kick drum and 18″ kick drums being far left, I am able to reach them both from the same stool which means that I can play a song like “Fatal Tragedy” starting out with the big 26″ bass drum to the left and then I don’t have to get up to go to the two 22″ kick drums; likewise I can do the same for the 18″ kick.

I have two hi-hats, but they’re remote cable hats. They are wired on opposite sides that I step on with my feet. For example, the hi-hat pedal that I step on with my right foot is on the left side of the kit. This means that when I’m playing on that lefty hi-hat, which is essentially a darker hi-hat sound, my left foot has to become the main kick and that is where I would use the left 22″ kick drum as the main bass drum. When I step on the hi-hat with my left foot, that cable stretches all the way to my right and the hi-hat cymbals themselves are struck with my right hand. What that means is that I play kick drum with my right foot so the 22″ kick drum to the right becomes the main kick drum. The hi-hat to the right is a set of brighter cymbals.

Basically the pedals thus far are four acoustic kick drums and two remote hi-hats. There are two more pedals: one to the extreme left and extreme right. They’re both also slave pedals. On my far right foot is actually a righty double pedal where I’m playing slave such that the beater connects to an E Pro Pad. Pearl has an electronic drum set called E Pro, and I’m using one of the pads to my far right. Similarly, on the far left I have a lefty double pedal, a slave double pedal that stretches to another E Pro. These I use for triggering. For example, with the upcoming tour, I have a giant concert bass drum for one particular tune with the right foot and I have a cowbell assigned to that E Pro Pad on my far left foot. With the new album, those two trigger pedals are triggering anything from timpani to cowbells that are tuned exactly to the notes that Jordan (Rudess), John (Myung) and John (Petrucci) are playing.

By having 8 pedals (4 acoustic kicks, 2 electronic ones and 2 hi-hats) they are arranged such that I can adhere to Mike Portnoy’s original drum track – be it a 26″ kick drum or a 22″ kick drum or a small one because Mike grew from having just a regular double bass kick starting with 24″s, I believe. I think he started out with two 24″ kicks and then went to two 22″s. At one point he put an experimental kick to his right which was a small bass drum, and I chose to use an 18″ because on the new album I actually use that 18″ in the same beat where I use the 26″, for dynamics. So in a non-heavy metal kind of a structure, I can get away with dynamic on one bass drum by hitting a note softer or laying the beater into the head to get a slap, but with a heavy metal situation, especially Dream Theater, I have to exaggerate everything. In other words, the dynamics kind of get lost and you really have to hit those drums. Having an 18″ bass drum do subordinate notes while the 26″ bass drum fires off the huge downbeat is the way that I get dynamics. That’s an entire overview of the pedal scenario."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »
Who are you to even make that determination?  That's about as inappropriate a critique as I can possibly imagine.
Exactly.

Offline badger

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »
Who are you to even make that determination?  That's about as inappropriate a critique as I can possibly imagine

Not sure who you are referring to

I would think something personal against a band member is more inappropriate. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »
Who are you to even make that determination?  That's about as inappropriate a critique as I can possibly imagine

You, Kowtow, and anyone else who made a similarly ridiculous comment about what Mangini should do with the equipment he (read: not you) plays.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 08:21:49 AM »
I agree but(!), is what they said any different to someone saying "I wish JP would switch that damn chorus effect off!"

Just asking the question.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »
Not necessarily.  As I listener, I may not like a particular sound in the context of a song.  Arguably, there is at least a reason to voice that because it impacts my enjoyment of the product the band is putting out.  But to say "I wish JP would ditch the black chorus pedal and get a red one" or "I wish JP would make sure his pedalboard is smaller because the sight of a big pedal board makes me crazy" is just silly and, quite frankly, none of our business.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
I agree but(!), is what they said any different to someone saying "I wish JP would switch that damn chorus effect off!"

Just asking the question.

I think this is a more appropriate analogy:

You can argue that you don't like the sound of JP's chorus effect, or you don't like Mike's octobans, but arguing that he should remove parts of his kit, thus limiting his musical vocabulary, just because it would look more slick is a bit extreme. A pointless boundary. You might not like JP's chorus effect, but you wouldn't want him to throw half his pedal rig out of the window. Every part of Mike's kit has its own purpose, just like every one of hits has. He assembled his kit to play DT as it's the most comfortable and suitable for him. He also has to have everything MP had to faithfully reproduce some of the songs (and MM's kit is still a hundred times more economical that MP's siamese monsters, even with the small kick drums on the sides which work as triggers). It's not like he just stacks shit up randomly just for the heck of it.

Offline badger

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
where did I say what he should do? 

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

Every part of Mike's kit has its own purpose, just like every one of hits has. He assembled his kit to play DT as it's the most comfortable and suitable for him. He also has to have everything MP had to faithfully reproduce some of the songs (and MM's kit is still a hundred times more economical that MP's siamese monsters, even with the small kick drums on the sides which work as triggers). It's not like he just stacks shit up randomly just for the heck of it.

I agree with you completely. Just for the record, incase anyone was confused and misconstrued what I said, I was being sarcastic. What you said was partially my point.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »

You, Kowtow, and anyone else who made a similarly ridiculous comment about what Mangini should do with the equipment he (read: not you) plays.

Because it's a fucking discussion forum ? You might as well post in every thread that our opinion doesn't change anything.

It's not like we're here to discuss Mangini's kit and send him our findings and demand he act upon them....

Like with every thread it's all personal opinion.  ::)

...Plus i was commenting on my own personal tastes as a musician about another person's drum set up. It wasn't even anything to do with Mike himself.