Author Topic: EQ fixing DT12  (Read 3333 times)

Offline erwinrafael

EQ fixing DT12
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
I am generally happy with DT12, but one of my problems with it is the muddy mix. Yesterday, I played around with the EQ and the mix I find best to my tastes is when I cut really sharply at the lower-mid range (around a 6 dB drop at the 250 Hz) and a slight cut at the midrange (around a 3 dB cut at 1 kHz). I did not adjust the bass, the upper mids and the treble. It really sounded very good to my ears, the clarity is greatly improved.

Which only means that JP is really just mixed too loudly. Maybe the loud lower-mid mix could have worked with their earlier heavier albums, but the songs in DT12 is really not fit for lower-mid heavy mix.

I am listening to HD Tracks and am using in-ears, so I don't know if the same EQ fix would work with the mp3s and a different listening equipment.

Offline lumpy33

Re: EQ fixing DT12
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:53:10 PM »
i'll have to try doing that.  i've thought that the mix for dt12 is a bit dark myself. 

what would you do with the mix for falling into infinity?  it sounds like the guitar was recorded under water or something.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:10 AM »
I have never thought that the production was muddy at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:51 AM »

I'm not as fussy over sound these days as most modern albums sound shit  (albums like VH 1 recorded in the 70's over a few days are miles ahead of most) but I really did notice how muddy DT12 was when I played it after Images and Words.   Chalk and cheese in terms of sonics.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:50:41 AM »

I'm not as fussy over sound these days as most modern albums sound shit  (albums like VH 1 recorded in the 70's over a few days are miles ahead of most) but I really did notice how muddy DT12 was when I played it after Images and Words.   Chalk and cheese in terms of sonics.

I agree if you compare it to I&W.  I don't think you even need to listen to know that's the case.  But as you said, by today's production standards, it's definitely worlds apart.  I still think it sounds good though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
what would you do with the mix for falling into infinity?  it sounds like the guitar was recorded under water or something.

are we listening to two different albums?

Offline Xenon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »

are we listening to two different albums?
FII is one of dt's best sounding albums to me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
I think this mix is not muddy at all (like Octavarium's mix). Every instrument is super clear and within its respective space. The problem is the excessive compression and the crappy snare sound.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
How could I do this using a program like Audacity? I don't really have a problem with the mix that much, but I'm curious as to how this sounds.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:48 PM »
??? 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »
I really hope lumpy isn't referring to the Peruvian Skies effect on the guitar. Because, that's intentional.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Not to mention that it is by far the best mixed, best sounding DT album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »

Naah, I disagree with you. It doesn't sound heavy enough where it should. BC&SL is the best mixed album IMO. (just the songs are too bad...)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Naah, I disagree with you. It doesn't sound heavy enough where it should. BC&SL is the best mixed album IMO. (just the songs are too bad...)
Wow.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »
I think this mix is not muddy at all (like Octavarium's mix). Every instrument is super clear and within its respective space. The problem is the excessive compression and the crappy snare sound.

The EQ adjustment to my ears really separated JP's guitars from JM's bass. Try it on TLG.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
I am generally happy with DT12, but one of my problems with it is the muddy mix. Yesterday, I played around with the EQ and the mix I find best to my tastes is when I cut really sharply at the lower-mid range (around a 6 dB drop at the 250 Hz) and a slight cut at the midrange (around a 3 dB cut at 1 kHz). I did not adjust the bass, the upper mids and the treble. It really sounded very good to my ears, the clarity is greatly improved.

Which only means that JP is really just mixed too loudly. Maybe the loud lower-mid mix could have worked with their earlier heavier albums, but the songs in DT12 is really not fit for lower-mid heavy mix.

I am listening to HD Tracks and am using in-ears, so I don't know if the same EQ fix would work with the mp3s and a different listening equipment.
This is honestly one of the biggest problems with DT sound since JP has stepped into the role of producer, and since he loves that role so much, I doubt it is going to change.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »

By far. Aside from slightly clipping off the bass drum in the mastering stage, the album sounds damn near perfect, especially compared to the last few DT albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
don't get me wrong, guys.  i think the mix for falling into infinity is excellent.  it's the guitar SOUND i've always found to be a bit too murky/low-endish on that record for my tastes.  i like a more crisp, compressed, almost mid-range sound that you can really hear the attack of and separation on faster rhythm crunch patterns.  new millennium is ass-kickingly great, but it would kick even more ass if the guitar sounded like it does on train of thought.  just my personal taste i guess.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

By far. Aside from slightly clipping off the bass drum in the mastering stage, the album sounds damn near perfect, especially compared to the last few DT albums.

Yep. FII is really the best sounding DT album. The instruments are just ridiculously crystal clear. I would say the best drum sound is still Awake, although the cymbals sound (specially those damn hi hats) in FII is tops.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »

Since we're talking bass drum, I recently had a chance to listen to the alternate SFAM mixes and the bass drum sounds very different, more natural with much less attack. I think it's closer to the actual bass drum sound and the clicky one we hear on SFAM (and a similar one on FII and Live Scenes) was tempered with in the studio (although I wouldn't do that for a live album, it seems very plausible). I've been to a couple of recording sessions and they always add some triggered bass drum effect to the raw signal (if it wasn't triggered to begin with).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline drod1985

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:32 AM »
don't get me wrong, guys.  i think the mix for falling into infinity is excellent.  it's the guitar SOUND i've always found to be a bit too murky/low-endish on that record for my tastes.  i like a more crisp, compressed, almost mid-range sound that you can really hear the attack of and separation on faster rhythm crunch patterns.  new millennium is ass-kickingly great, but it would kick even more ass if the guitar sounded like it does on train of thought.  just my personal taste i guess.

I agree with you 100%. There are some great songs in FII, but I'd enjoy them more if the guitar sounds were more articulate and defined.