Author Topic: JP's solo in Breaking All Illusions-Heard it somewhere?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Virtualman64

JP's solo in Breaking All Illusions-Heard it somewhere?
« on: October 26, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
Ok,I keep thinking I've heard the beginning of this solo before,starting at about 6:10,and is slightly repeated again at about 8:29.After much research I'm thinking it sounds similar to a Neal Schon solo but,I can't place it.I'm thinking it might be from Send Her My Love from Frontiers at about 2:50 of course the beats per minute are a little faster in it.See what you guys think,or maybe someone else can place it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: JP's solo in Breaking All Illusions-Heard it somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
It definitely has a lot of Neal Schon influence but it's not the same solo.  This isn't surprising since JP has written a lot of NS inspired material over the years.  It's one of the many reasons I really like JP's playing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
I hear some Andy Timmons in there, but you can hear something like that in JP's Lost without you too.

Offline adamack

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »
I mentioned something about this in my Top 20 thread. It is possible that you're hearing inflections of the Lines In The Sand solo in Breaking All Illusions.

Check out these parts, when each solo begins to climax:

LITS: https://youtu.be/5yhQyceJ37w?t=6m55s

BAI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA01aIVzNcE&feature=youtu.be&t=8m9s

The melodies aren't the same, but the songs are in the same key, and the entire structure of each solo is very similar. Each solo starts off very minimalist, with JP playing lightly over stripped down instruments, and building the solo up into a powerful climax.

If you listen to the entire solos of LITS (https://youtu.be/5yhQyceJ37w?t=6m8s) and BAI (https://youtu.be/pA01aIVzNcE?t=7m11s) you will notice how they have a very similar structure.

Is it possible that Lines In The Sand is what you're recalling familiarity to?

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
At least that's what I always have to thinkg about when I listen to BAI. I'm always about to burst out into singing "In the stream of consciousness"  ;D

Offline adamack

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
At least that's what I always have to thinkg about when I listen to BAI. I'm always about to burst out into singing "In the stream of consciousness"  ;D

Great to know someone else thinks so too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
Ok,I keep thinking I've heard the beginning of this solo before,starting at about 6:10,and is slightly repeated again at about 8:29.After much research I'm thinking it sounds similar to a Neal Schon solo but,I can't place it.I'm thinking it might be from Send Her My Love from Frontiers at about 2:50 of course the beats per minute are a little faster in it.See what you guys think,or maybe someone else can place it.

I've always thought I've heard it before too ever since I first heard it.  I could never place it, but I don't think Send Her My Love is it.  Amazing solo though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
JP said he was going for a Gilmour type feel. Any similarities to any Floyd songs? I'm not really familiar enough.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »
It reminded me of LiTS as soon as I heard it.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
JP said he was going for a Gilmour type feel. Any similarities to any Floyd songs? I'm not really familiar enough.
The only one that came to mind is the solo in "Mother" but to a very limited extent, more in the way it's played than in the notes I think. In general I think JP is totally crazy about that solo... Even if rather simple one.
From Rome, with love.