Author Topic: My Top 20 DT Songs  (Read 1397 times)

Offline adamack

My Top 20 DT Songs
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
Narrowing 20 of my favorite DT songs down is hard enough, much less ranking them in order.

Therefore, I've decided to do something a bit different.

There are 4 songs which I consider to be tied at the #1 spot. These 4 songs have stood the test of time, as I still enjoy listening to them despite how many times I've played them.

These top 4 songs will be listed below, and underneath them I will list the remaining 16 in NO particular order, since it is too difficult. Here goes!

TOP 4 DT SONGS, TIED AT #1

Octavarium

My favorite of DT's epics. The flute/acoustic guitar section after the ambient intro is beautiful. I enjoy every part of this song, but Razor's Edge is far and away my favorite part. When the orchestra enters, playing the same recurring melody that the flute plays in the beginning, I get goosebumps every time. Then, JP plays one of the most bone-chilling solos ever recorded, IMO. Even JR mentioned it (I believe in the Score documentary) as a standout part.

This song has aged very well to me. I listened to it recently, and it was as amazing as ever. This song encompasses what DT is all about, and will likely remain a favorite to me forever.

Finally Free

This song contains everything I could ever want in one song. The intro is incredible, setting such a dark mood. JR's little solo piano piece is so haunting. This is a very rare case in which I absolutely love every single part of a song, almost equally. The chorus is one of my favorites. If I had to pick one standout moment, it would be near the end when the chorus occurs in the breakdown section accompanied only by acoustic guitar, and then it breaks out into the huge final chorus. MP is at his finest at the end, giving us a plethora of different drum patterns over the simple, yet dark rhythm guitar.

I have not gotten sick of this song at all, despite listening to it hundreds of times. On BTFW, this song was my favorite part by far. I literally had to hold back tears the first time I saw it on the DVD.

Breaking All Illusions

My favorite song on my second favorite DT album. This song truly embodies what DT is all about. The arrangement of the song is very atypical, which makes it very interesting. My favorite parts include the "Live in the moment..." section, the "Reaching out..." chorus section, JP's solo section, and the "Embrace the day" outro part.

JP's solo section is reminiscent of his solo section from Lines In The Sand, how it starts out very minimal and keeps building and building. Some of the melodies are a bit similar too. I'm a big fan of these kinds of sections in DT songs.

This song is so hopeful sounding. In my opinion, one of DT's most beautiful songs.

Home

This song started everything for me. Well, actually Metropolis was the first DT song I'd heard, but Home was the song that made DT click for me. I absolutely love the Egyptian/Indian scales and ethnic sounding keyboard patches used in this song. And the wah pedal is at its finest in the main rhythm section.

The standout section of this song is absolutely the chorus. If I had to choose one DT chorus as my all time favorite, this would probably have to be it. The background vocals are so trippy, and the harmonies are perfect. JP's solo is amazing! My favorite part of this song is at the end of JP's solo when his crescendo of notes blast into the final chorus, which sounds huge.

This song, along with Finally Free, are my 2 favorite songs from my favorite album of all time. I don't listen to Home as much as Finally Free anymore, but whenever I do listen to it, it is wonderful.

SONGS 5-15, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Voices: Awesome subject matter, great job by James. Tied with Octavarium solo as my favorite JP solo. Just insane.

In The Name Of God: Most epic ending to a DT song, aside from Octavarium. Final piano chord is chilling! Awesome unison solo section.

A Change Of Seasons: My favorite concept of any DT song. SO many different, and awesome parts. A classic.

Overture 1928: Favorite DT instrumental. Sets the tone for my favorite album.

The Great Debate: I don't know why, but this song has aged better than any other DT song. It has not gotten old. Main guitar rhythm section that comes in after the intro is so badass. Very interesting, and original lyrical concept.

On The Backs Of Angels: Liked it at first, but have grown to love it over time. JP's guitar intro section is awesome. Amazing chorus.

Fatal Tragedy: One of the most evil sounding DT songs. "Without love, without truth..." chorus section is my favorite part. Probably the most insane JP solo from a technical standpoint...it is a wish of mine to see him pull it off flawlessly live. Probably too hard though, because of that picking run into the sweep near the end.

Sacrificed Sons: Admittedly, this song does start off a bit slow. But the instrumental/orchestral section is SO good, that this song is still able to be on this list. Far and away my favorite instrumental section of any DT song. Contains my favorite riff ever: https://youtu.be/3nBpLzNwkZw?t=7m1s

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: This song would probably be tied with the other 4 as my favorite DT songs at #1, but it has not aged as well for some reason. I used to listen to it every day, and I think I just played it out. I am not a huge fan of the Goodnight Kiss part, but everything else is amazing. Losing Time/Grand Finale is definitely my favorite part.

Endless Sacrifice: Love the verses in the first part of this song ("Cold, lying in my bed..."). The chorus is great too. Also has an amazing instrumental section.

Surrender To Reason: One of my favorite choruses from DT12. The solo section after the first chorus is so beautiful. Also, great ending.

Space Dye Vest: Probably the darkest sounding DT song, and one of the most emotional piano pieces I've heard. The "never come near me again, do you really think I need you" line is so powerful.

Strange Deja Vu: Yet another song from SFaM. That makes 5 in my top 20! I love the "tonight I've been searching for it" part. Also love how this song changes mood into the fast bluesy-rock section.

The Root Of All Evil: I always listen to this song for one main part: https://youtu.be/RgAc7ekYmVA?t=7m18s  So awesome when that riff comes back at the end! Also love the chorus.

The Count Of Tuscany: Used to think this song was average. Once I was finally able to get past the cheesy lyrics, it became a favorite. The main riff that enters at around 4 minutes sets the adventurous tone of the song. And the ending, well, I'm sure most of us agree about how epic that is. Also, one of my favorite instrumental sections. JR's patches are so wild, but awesome.

The Ministry Of Lost Souls: One word: Polarizing. Many love it, more hate it. I love this song. The chord selection is just genius. JP's outro is, IMO, one of the most underrated JP moments. It is more of a melody than a "solo". But the note selection is genius, and is a reason he is among the greats.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Bridges In The Sky
Beneath The Surface
Misunderstood
These Walls
Outcry
Honor Thy Father

Thanks for reading! I'd like to see if anyone else has a similar top 20, or even a totally different top 20. So feel free to comment.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: My Top 20 DT Songs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
Great way to structure a list.  Takes a lot less time than a full review of the top 50.  Besides Home, I find it difficult to listen to independent songs from SFAM.  As a whole, one the best cds ever.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »
Not even an HM for a song off Images and Words  :'( 

Good to see some love for BAI and OTBOA .   Other than those and perhaps Fatal Tragedy I don't think any of the others would make my Top 20.    But then almost half of my Top 20 would come from I&W  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:49:00 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline adamack

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »
Great way to structure a list.  Takes a lot less time than a full review of the top 50.  Besides Home, I find it difficult to listen to independent songs from SFAM.  As a whole, one the best cds ever.

Thanks! I've always wanted to do a full top 50 as many others have, but it's too hard for me personally to put 50 DT songs in order, as my tastes change. Kudos to those who do it though, it's a lot of hard work.

And I know what you mean about listening to individual songs from SFAM. It's very much like a Pink Floyd release, in the sense that many of their albums are meant to be listened to as a whole.

Not even an HM for a song off Images and Words  :'( 

Good to see some love for BAI and OTBOA .   Other than those and perhaps Fatal Tragedy I don't think any of the others would make my Top 20.    But then almost half of my Top 20 would come from I&W  ;D

I&W.... :(

I do not mean any offense toward I&W when not listing any songs...it's still an amazing album.

Thing is, I was drawn into DT a bit later. SFaM was my first DT album, and I only really listened to metal before then.

So DT's heavier songs have always been more of a draw for me personally.

That is also a reason that my top 20 is probably a good bit different than most DT fans. I just love their heavier progressive songs.

I'm glad to hear that Fatal Tragedy would make your top 20 though. I always feel as if that song goes a bit unmentioned.

Just curious, what would your Top 20 look like if I&W were not included?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:00:46 PM by adamack »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
You've got your quotes in a bit of a mess there buddy  ;D   I assume that lower one was directed at me.

My Top 20??....excluding I&W and sticking to official releases......well I haven't put a great deal of thought into it but what I can tell you is that it wouldn't contain anything off ToT, SC,  BC&SL and there would be a big weighting towards the early years (Awake and less so FII/ WDADU) and the most recent (ADTOE/DT12).

I find it interesting how people define the "heaviness" of DT material.   I&W is often mentioned as very proggy and not heavy -  I really don't like most 70's style "prog rock" and yet it's close enough to my all time favourite album and I'd venture that there's some pretty heavy sounding stuff on that album.  Heavy, but melodic and all the "wankery" is well within the context of a well structured song , unlike plenty of the material in the post Awake/FII years.

I also see a few people on here (one in recent days) saying they don't like the heavier approach of recent albums , when to me the last couple of albums are more a return to the supposedly "less heavy" and song focused approach of Images and Words.  Confuses me a bit.

The vast majority of my DT listening is WDADU, I&W, Awake, ADTOE and DT12 with a few select songs from other albums and also stuff like Cleaning Out The Closet .  To narrow it down to a top 20 I'd need to do some focused listening on my Top 30 or so songs.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline adamack

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »
You've got your quotes in a bit of a mess there buddy  ;D   I assume that lower one was directed at me.

My Top 20??....excluding I&W and sticking to official releases......well I haven't put a great deal of thought into it but what I can tell you is that it wouldn't contain anything off ToT, SC,  BC&SL and there would be a big weighting towards the early years (Awake and less so FII/ WDADU) and the most recent (ADTOE/DT12).

I find it interesting how people define the "heaviness" of DT material.   I&W is often mentioned as very proggy and not heavy -  I really don't like most 70's style "prog rock" and yet it's close enough to my all time favourite album and I'd venture that there's some pretty heavy sounding stuff on that album.  Heavy, but melodic and all the "wankery" is well within the context of a well structured song , unlike plenty of the material in the post Awake/FII years.

I also see a few people on here (one in recent days) saying they don't like the heavier approach of recent albums , when to me the last couple of albums are more a return to the supposedly "less heavy" and song focused approach of Images and Words.  Confuses me a bit.

The vast majority of my DT listening is WDADU, I&W, Awake, ADTOE and DT12 with a few select songs from other albums and also stuff like Cleaning Out The Closet .  To narrow it down to a top 20 I'd need to do some focused listening on my Top 30 or so songs.

Whoops, fixed the quotes. Thanks for pointing that out...don't know how that happened!

You're right in that there are some heavy parts on I&W. The main riff to Pull Me Under that comes in after the intro is very heavy. Also, there are some heavy parts in Metropolis as well as Under A Glass Moon. Not to mention the riff behind the "Listening to the city..." section in Learning To Live.

I also agree that the "wankery" level increased after the FII era. This is ESPECIALLY true for Train Of Thought.

Good to hear that you like WDaDU...I really need to give that album more of a listen. I haven't listened to any songs from it in years.

I actually think that, contrary to what most people say, ADToE was a pretty heavy album. LNF, BITS, OTBoA, BMUBMD, and Outcry are all driven by some really heavy main riffs. I guess it's a comparison thing though, as you eluded to. It's not as heavy as their older stuff, like SDOiT, SC, SFaM, or even Octavarium. So it definitely is a bit toned down, when comparing it to other albums.