Poll

What's the 'status' of your passion for DT's music?

As strong as it ever was
58 (43%)
Starting to wane, but still very strong
35 (25.9%)
Significantly less than it used to be
29 (21.5%)
A shadow of what it once was
13 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: Where are you in your love for DT - starting to wane, or as strong as ever?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

So basically, what's the status of your love for the band? I got into them in 2000, and was obsessed with them for around 7 or 8 years. Recently my love for DT has begun to wane (absolutely no 'fault' of the band, they still make superb music, just my tastes have changed a bit), so the 2nd option in the poll gets my vote.

What about you, do you still like the band as much as you ever did or has your passion for their music lessened for whatever reason? If the latter, when were the peak years for you (I mean peak years of your love for the band, not the band's peak years, which is a separate discussion). Mine were 2003-2007, a period when I barely listened to any other band.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: :marriageanalogy:
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »
This seems like a marriage analogy thread.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Much less than it used to be. Not that I don't love seeing DT, and I still love their music, but I just don't follow them with nearly the fervor that I used to. Then again the same could be said for me and many bands. As the list of artists I listen to continues to increase, the time spent with each, even ones that used to dominate my musical landscape to some degree decreases. If they keep setlists static that certainly won't help. Up until this tour seeing DT was always a multi-stop, journey worthy, vacation time trek... whereas I fear in the future it'll just be a trip to Philly for the evening like seeing any other band.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline krands85

It took me a couple of years after I first heard them before I really fell in love with the band and then it was just ridiculous how often I listened to them. It's started to wane a little bit in the last year I guess. But really, the amount I used to listen to them was unsustainable! It was inevitable I'd have to tone things down a bit. I still play their music more than anyone else, but it's not quite at the same obsessive levels I was at in the 4 or 5 years beforehand.

I guess the fact I'm not that keen on the latest album has caused a bit of the slowdown as well. If I'd really liked DT12, I might still have been at similar levels to before! I don't see myself ever stopping enjoying their music though and I imagine they'll still be my favourite band for the foreseeable future.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I still consider them my favorite band, and I still wear my Majesty pendant necklace, but I'm in no way a fanboy. Systematic Chaos, BCSL, and A Dramatic Turn of Events are very weak albums, but they redeemed themselves with DT12. I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but only because I've found so many other great bands, but I still love Dream Theater, just like I still love Iced Earth, but Iced Earth has certainly pissed me off more.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
Right now a week from their Australian tour I would say as strong as ever, we have also been lucky with some recent releases.  :smiley:
Considering my other fave artists and time between their releases (Vai, Satriani, Aerosmith) DT fans are spoilt.

I must say when they skipped Australia for their last tour my love did wane a little...I think more so because a tour can awaken your passion for a band.

All in all they have had some strong releases, and don't look like slowing down anytime soon.  :smiley:

Offline erwinrafael

Isn't there an option for Strongest it has ever been?  :metal

Offline MiracleSleeper

Like others, DT is still my favorite band, but I don't have that same firey passion that I used to have for them when I first got into them.

Offline Sad Wings

Stronger than it was two years ago because of the latest album and live show on this tour, but way below the level it was from 2005 through 2007.  That was the height of my interest, which started to wayne after the release of Systematic Chaos.  During the Black Clouds era I could not have cared less about them.  A Dramatic Turn of Events was an improvement, but didn't make me want to go see them.  DT12 was better still, and then I saw the setlist back in January and got stoked.

With that said, they don't seem willing to really push themselves and stray outside of their comfort zone.  I could see them being content to churn out restatements of the I&W formula every two years.  That's certainly preferable to a Systematic Chaos every two years, but I don't see them ever reaching the heights they did during the 90's again.  So I voted for option 3.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
"Significantly less than it used to be", bordering on the last option.
I still love their older music just as much when I listen to it, and a lot of it is among my favourite music of all time, but I don't listen to them often these days, as I'm not that interested in the band as I used to be.
I feel like I mostly bought the last two DVDs out of fan obligation, and have only watched them once, and have barely listened to the last two albums since they came out.

I think I'm turning into rumby.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
:lol

But yeah, that's where I'm at. I very rarely feel the desire these days to put on a DT album, even though is still enjoy the old albums.

I really, thoroughly, enjoyed the latest live DVD, but in terms of album output, it's been a slow decline ever since Octavarium. There's a bit of piqued interest when a new album comes out, but DT12 for example I was done with before they took down the free stream.

In summary: They used to be my absolute favorite band for a *very* long time, but at this point I have both moved on musically, and DT has stopped pushing themselves. I honestly have very little expectations for DT13. Maybe for the better, I still might be pleasantly surprised.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
I still love their older music just as much when I listen to it, and a lot of it is among my favourite music of all time, but I don't listen to them often these days, as I'm not that interested in the band as I used to be.
Pretty much this. I still consider I&W and Awake to be two of the greatest albums of all time, but as a whole I don't really listen to them that much, and other than TCOT, there isn't a single song on the last four albums I would consider "great". So they're definitely burning out a little for me.

Offline Zyzzyva17

I still love DT just as much as I used to, but in the time since I discovered them, I have also discovered other bands I like just as much, so DT gets a smaller percentage of my total love. Still went with the first option.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I feel like I mostly bought the last two DVDs out of fan obligation, and have only watched them once, and have barely listened to the last two albums since they came out.
This is where I am, except I'm not buying any DVDs.

Offline erwinrafael

As usual, the vocal comments and the poll results are telling different stories.  ;D

Offline adastra

"Significantly less than it used to be"

I still love DT, but ADTOE and DT12 have been let-downs for me.  I Still listen to DT pretty much, but mainly the older stuff.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
My interest in them went down a little during Systematic Chaos. Then back up for Black Clouds. Been kind of on a steady decline for a while now. I just don't find them as interesting musically as I used to. Also, they had a real chance after Octavarium at taking the spot of favorite band, but then it just waned. Awake is still my favorite album of all time. But I don't really care when they release a new album anymore. I'll still listen, but I don't drown in anticipation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm the opposite to many of the above -  I was obsessed with the band in the early to mid 90's and gradually lost interest following Awake as each album impressed less and less .  Train of Thought was the last straw for me in terms of the band losing the balance between melody and musicianship that made I&W  #2 on my all time list.

I kept checking out the new albums but it wasn't until ADTOE that the old connection I had with the band resurfaced to some extent and even more so with DT12.  So although I'm nowhere near the fanboidom I exhibited in the early 90's , I'm the most interested in new material that I have been in a very long time.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
"Significantly less than it used to be"

Definitely not as obsessed as I was during the first years as a fan (2007-2010). I still enjoy listening to the some of the albums, but not as frequently as before. I buy the DVDs and albums as they come out though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
Like I often says, I remember that I was litteraly frightened when I discovered BC&SL.
+ another disappointment with the Progressive Nation evenings, thanks to Mike Portnoy...

But thankfully I was totally reassured by ADTOE and DT 12.  :tup :metal
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Significantly less than it used to be. I used to be huge fan from about 2010 to early 2013, but I really didn't like DT12 that much and ADTOE hasn't aged too well for me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Not listening to them 24/7 =/= not liking them

There's so much music out there. So much. It's nearly impossible to be able to crunch out the time to dedicate yourself to it, especially as you try and expand your tastes. Just because I haven't been in the mood to put on a DT album in a while, doesn't mean I won't enjoy it if I do decide to. Not to mention that right around this time, interest in the band isn't at its exact peak since DT12 came out over a year ago now and at this point, all that's left is the wait for any possible info regarding the next record they decide to pump out, in which case, interest is revitalized and people get hyped.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
'Starting to wane' - I loved a lot of there older stuff but these last 2 albums have not been as great as they should have been, IMO they are starting to go downhill a bit, I'm not sure if that's because of my ears being used to a different Dream Theater or if the last 2 albums weren't the greatest, either way I'm not a big a fan as I used to be.  :-[

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I voted "As strong as it ever was".

They have basically been my favpoite band since the moment I saw them. I have not been in love with everything they've done, and I can see where some of the criticisms are valid.
Maybe MP was onto something, but Mangini has really brought a new life and spirit to the band that I feel gives them a whole new dimension.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

"Starting to wane, but still very strong" Nothing compares to when you first discover a band, fall in love with their music and dive head first down the rabbit hole of discovering everything about them. For me, this was my relationship with DT when I discovered them in 2004 and my obsessive behavior probably lasted until 2008 or 2009. 

I still love the band and consider ADTOE and DT12 to be their best efforts in a long while, but really nothing compares to that first discovery of a band.

Online Sycsa

As strong as ever. I finally saw them live for the first time this summer and I still pretty much listen to DT every day. The last few releases (DT12 & BTFW, forget about LALP) are among my all-time favorites. Mangini's drumming inspires me like nothing else and I'm very much looking forward to their next studio album and tour. I think this is a golden age to be a DT fan.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Starting to wane, but still very strong

They're still my favorite band, but I think a combination of their recent albums, MP's leaving, the lack of rotating setlists and me getting older have all been contributing factors as to me losing some of the passion I used to have for DT.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

Significantly less than it used to be and close to 'moved completely on'...

As someone said earlier it's not the fault of the band (except for the production/sonic quality of last 2 albums) it's just that I have
been a huge fan since I&W and things change. The weird thing is I've felt an obligation to buy the most recent albums and I
don't feel that way with any other band. My purchases are driven by wanting to hear something. With DT it's been...support the band.
And while I'm not necessarlly trying to side with MP, as a fan I would have probably LOVED for them to take a good long break
and come back with a new direction and energy.

I believe the band is trying really hard to be the best DT 5.0 they can but I'm just not connecting with their music any longer.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I would say at this point the love is almost non-existent. I would say the peak was around 2007 for me. Not because Systematic Chaos as an album happened to be amazing or anything, but that was the time I got into the band, so naturally that's when I went through their back catalog and discovered all their albums. By 2009 and Black Clouds, it started to decrease. I found myself not returning as much as I wanted, and after the initial 10-15 listens of the album, it had little staying power. A Dramatic Turn of Events gave me back some glimmer of hope, and it had some of their best songs since 6DOIT imo. As a whole the album also faded a bit for me, but I thought it was a step in the right direction. DT12 was sadly a flat line for me, and basically killed off the hope I had left.

But with all this said, if DT announced tomorrow that they would come and play in my city, I would buy tickets in a heartbeat. I still really like their classic albums, and I can re-listen to Awake, Scenes, Six Degrees, Images or even Falling into Infinity at any time. I haven't had the chance to see them live, and the few times they have been to Sweden, they have only been to Stockholm, and I'm not feeling that big amount of love for them that I would drive for 5 hours to see them, but again, I haven't gone that far for any band. I would see them if they came to my city, and I will check out new albums just from curiosity and nostalgia alone, but my interest is a shadow of what it was.

Offline dparrott

Same.  I'm thankful that they are still making kick ass tunes this far into their career.  And James' studio voice still sounds great!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm gonna go with " almost the same place ". Not as hugely into them as I was when I first started and heard Train Of Thought, Scenes From A Memory and Octavarium for the first time but I still enjoy listening and always get new albums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Strong as ever.   :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline adamack

When I first got into DT, I had only heard a couple songs. Metropolis was one of them. I liked the song a lot, but the peak did not come until...

SFaM. That was the climax, which will likely never be met again.

From then on, my interest in DT came in waves.

I will listen to them avidly for 3-4 months, and then not even think about them for 3-4 months. Rinse and repeat this cycle.

So, if I had to make a graph out of this:

The graph would start pretty low, and quickly build to it's highest peak when SFaM came out. Then, it would be a series of peaks and valleys for the following 15 years, with none of the peaks ever reaching quite as high as the SFaM peak.

Though I certainly will not ever say that this peak cannot be beaten! DT always surprises me, and if their next album is a gem, anything is possible.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
It's still very strong, but it's "stable" at the moment. I have no doubt that the excitement will go up again when the new album cycle begins.

Offline erwinrafael