Author Topic: John Myung and Taurus pedals  (Read 2148 times)

Offline erwinrafael

John Myung and Taurus pedals
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:26:10 AM »
Because it was given mucn prominence in the BTFW cover, I became curious about the Taurus pedals. When I saw what that instrument is and how it sounded, I tried to catch its distinct sound in DT songs. The only thing I am quite sure are the sustained bass notes in TLG. What other songs featured the Taurus? I read online somewhere that he has been using them for quite some time now.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: John Myung and Taurus pedals
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:22:51 AM »
You can see him use the pedals in the chorus of BMUBMD on LALP, but I can't remember if they were featured in any other song.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYyuy3G6N-I

As well as being a great video it clearly shows JMX using the taurus pedals on the intro of Under a Glass Moon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYyuy3G6N-I

As well as being a great video it clearly shows JMX using the taurus pedals on the intro of Under a Glass Moon.

Not to distract from the topic, but MAN does Mangini go off in that video!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:43:13 AM »
Nice! I relistened to the studio versions of BMUBMD and UAGM, yes the Taurus is indeed there.  :metalI will relisten to other songs tonight. I think I heard it alao in the intro to LNF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
JM is INTO it! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:37 AM »
Not to distract from the topic, but MAN does Mangini go off in that video!

JM is INTO it! :metal

All this. No matter how many videos I see, these two always stun me with their ability.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
It's a shame that JMX is not into doing solos for shows, I mean, with the Taurus pedals and his jaming on top of that, a JMX solo would be as entertaining as a JP solo with JR keyboard on the back, just like they did on LALP.

Though is always has been sort of a background instrument (Taurus pedals) for the last years i think it would be fun (and interesting) to see more of it in a next album, an intro maybe, a verse (of course i mean an "only JM playing" kinda thing; i'm guessing that the Tpedals have been always present but not on a "easy to spot" level)   

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
I'd love to see him do a Taurus pedal solo some day ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:14 AM »
Just imagine the record breaking levels of overcompression necessary to have a Taurus Pedal section audible through cheap in-ears and crappy phone speakers! :omg:
:rollin

Greetings...
Nef

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
You can see JM play Taurus pedals during every The Enemy Inside chorus (especially last one) on BTFW very nicely and there is at least one more time I saw him play the pedals on BTFW but I'm not sure where.