Author Topic: First Post! Figured it could be interesting to discuss some JR solos.  (Read 1382 times)

Offline DarkMaster

So the first thing that popped into my head after joining was a conversation I had a while ago where someone told me that Rudess "hasn't written a solo in years that I actually care about." From the perspective of someone that only has very basic technique for keyboards, and really cares most about drumming, I think a lot of the solos that people would call "un-musical" are actually pretty sweet. The one that seems to get a lot of hate is the solo in Constant Motion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbwBsAGCMLE), but I always thought it was super energetic and atmospheric, especially when it hits that double time section. So... what Rudess solos are your favorite, and which ones sound kind of irksome to you?
"Where has Marco come from? Why is Marco here? Where do we go when we die?" - JLB

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: First Post! Figured it could be interesting to discuss some JR solos.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
Hey there, welcome to the forum! Just a quick warning, might not wanna post official content here even if it's just youtube. Excerpts and small bits are alright, and anything unofficial. It's just album versions of songs and official live DVDs we don't share links to in respect to the band.

Anyway, I for one completely agree with you. Although I've always been a fan of JRs crazy solos. That constant motion one always stood out to me, it's just ferociously furious and intense. I also like the one where he duels off with JP in A Rite of Passage before bebot. (Although bebot is cool enough to deserve a mention too :P). It was nice to see another intense solo like this in Enigma Machine more recently. Also, I think Blind Faith has some of the best JR moments.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:47:30 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline DarkMaster

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
Ah, got it. Trust me, I won't be that guy on the forum. But yeah, his solos seem to split the fans pretty evenly between love and hate. It doesn't make sense to me to compare him to Kevin Moore. It's apples and oranges.
"Where has Marco come from? Why is Marco here? Where do we go when we die?" - JLB

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
I love your username.

It reminds me of someone... who is the best them!!!  :metal :metal :metal
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
My general take on his solos has been that it's actually mostly the sounds he uses that turn them into mush. They're usually over-laden with effects and reverb, and so all that fast stuff he plays just runs together. I mean, when you see him do it live it's more entertaining because he gets into it so much, but on record most of them are pretty awful.
It's weird; I don't think he crafts solos very much.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
My general take on his solos has been that it's actually mostly the sounds he uses that turn them into mush. They're usually over-laden with effects and reverb, and so all that fast stuff he plays just runs together. I mean, when you see him do it live it's more entertaining because he gets into it so much, but on record most of them are pretty awful.
It's weird; I don't think he crafts solos very much.

I agree that the sound choice has something to do with it. The solos on SFaM and SDoIT are awesome and it has a lot to do with that amazing lead sound. ToT is when it started to go downhill which is coincidentally (or not) when he changed his main lead sound. The only real memorable keyboard solo since then is the great Octavarium solo which he used a different sound on.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
Someone else said it good years ago, when they said most of his solos sound like he is trying to bend too many notes into submission.  As gifted and talented as Rudess is, soloing is the one chink in his armor.  He has some great ones - Home, Octavarium, Beneath the Surface - but the vast majority of them are just blurs of notes coming at you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
So the first thing that popped into my head after joining was a conversation I had a while ago where someone told me that Rudess "hasn't written a solo in years that I actually care about." From the perspective of someone that only has very basic technique for keyboards, and really cares most about drumming, I think a lot of the solos that people would call "un-musical" are actually pretty sweet. The one that seems to get a lot of hate is the solo in Constant Motion but I always thought it was super energetic and atmospheric, especially when it hits that double time section. So... what Rudess solos are your favorite, and which ones sound kind of irksome to you?

I've always loved the Constant Motion solo. The whole song has a Metallica vibe, and that keyboard solo has always felt like an AJFA style Metallica solo to me, but on keyboard, with the note choice, and the articulations that emulate whammy bar dives and pick tapping etc. That solo is very well constructed.
My favourite lead sound will always be the classic Kurz though. The way he makes it wail in Honor Thy Father is awesomely metal. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
The double-time section in the Constant Motion solo will always have the sad infamy for me in that it was the first time in a Dream Theater song where I thought "this is absolutely awful". To this day, when it comes around, and it's usually while I'm working so it's not that I specifically expect it, I lose my focus at work and click the skip button.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
Had me confused there for a mo - there is already a long standing member called "The Dark Master"
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DarkMaster

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »
Had me confused there for a mo - there is already a long standing member called "The Dark Master"

My username is my own, now.....

I will not fiiiiiight for yoooooooou

..... Forget it

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
My favorite JR solo is the Home solo.

Offline adamack

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
My favorite JR solo moment from the BTFW DVD has got to be his back-and-fourth solo section in The Shattered Fortress.

I've always been way more attracted to the sound of a guitar solo than that of a lead keyboard, but that solo is near the level of a great JP solo to me.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
The double-time section in the Constant Motion solo will always have the sad infamy for me in that it was the first time in a Dream Theater song where I thought "this is absolutely awful". To this day, when it comes around, and it's usually while I'm working so it's not that I specifically expect it, I lose my focus at work and click the skip button.

:omg: So clearly what you're trying to tell us, is that you just don't like things that are good..?   Haha... Sorry, just winding you up. :P

But I must strongly disagree. Part of what blows my mind is how technically impressive both the guitar and keyboard solos are in that song, and I connect with that 'intense' energy, that 'fury' of notes really make for quite the adrenalin pumping song. It's fast, but it's still got feeling. It's also one of the most intense parts of the song, and I can't understand how someone could possibly get bored in this section but I guess different strokes and whatnot.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
JR has a lot of amazing solos that are very musical, even in the newer songs. Blind Faith is his best instrumental work, but among the newer songs, off the top of my head:

Along For The Ride (it was composed like a song. amazing)
Illumination Theory (especially the fast piano parts. the circus solo is also good :p )
Breaking All Illusions (his solos during the breaks were gold)
Behind the Veil (too short but still good)
Bridges in the Sky
Beneath the Surface

Offline Skeever

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:55 PM »
Rudess has a couple great solos -

Blind Faith - everything about this is amazing
Octavarium - another great classic proggy one

Unfortunately, those are the only two that are very memorable. Rudess is a talent, but I've never liked his approach to soloing. His solos sounds too shreddy.