Author Topic: Greatest piece of music of *ALL* times  (Read 5626 times)

Offline adastra

Re: Greatest piece of music of *ALL* times
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
Haha, kinda tough question :D
At the moment I'd say (tomorrow it might be different)  Henryk Gorecki's Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs .  So "simple" yet so effective!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 11:18:34 PM »
Partially the problem of this thread is that we will have to wait until the end of time before we can answer the question.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:27 AM »
I can understand some folks not liking The Whirlwind as a whole, and I can see where and why they'd think that, but for me, it's a near-masterpiece in its entirety. There isn't much I would change about it, and I've always loved every second of it all.

If I could count Bridge Across Forever as a single piece, or at least my edit of it which takes DWTD, SCP and BAF to make them flow into each other continuously (with SCP's ending restored fading into the intro of BAF), then I would make that my top. But as it stands, the album isn't really a single piece, although the three longer tracks all share movements and themes and is semi-conceptual in nature because of that.

At any rate, I know some will be quick to say "quantity over quality" in my suggesting of The Whirlwind, but I truly believe that it's quality lives up to and equals its quantity. Perhaps I just love the band and its member so much, and maybe I see it all through rose-colored glasses, but either way, it's just how I feel.

If I thought about it longer, too, I'd toss in a lot more songs into this, like a few by The Beatles (which are all shorter, mind you lol), a few classical pieces (like some of the aforementioned ones, as well as Dvorak's "New World Symphony"), and maybe some other more modern pieces by newer bands (with current favorites being the last two tracks on Flying Colors' latest).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 08:04:39 AM »
The thing about long pieces is that the whole really is greater than the sum of the parts. So even if none of the individual parts would qualify as your favorite music, the way it all comes together adds a whole other layer. The idea that individual tracks are contributing to greater themes and ideas makes them automatically more enticing to listen to, and if there is a strong connection throughout the album, then the album as a whole is more enticing. When I look at albums that I have obsessed over and listened to for days on end, the majority of them are some form of concept album for this very reason.

(The Whirlwind is my favorite album, if that says anything)
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Partially the problem of this thread is that we will have to wait until the end of time before we can answer the question.
Good thing we have time. :neverusethis:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
OBVI it's Never Gonna Give You Up. I don't know why this is even a question.

Fuck the classics.

Not really, I'm probably just not smart or snobby enough to get it.  :P *Sticks pinky higher in the air* NVM. I get it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »
Had to google and I think I found it guys:

Best Song Ever

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
John Cage's 4'33'' comes to mind.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »

:lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 2. It's epic in the true sense of the word. An 85-minute journey from darkness to light. The finale on its own contains just about every possible emotion and dynamic, and it ends with the single most overwhelmingly powerful moment in all of music, ever. If you're not moved to tears by it, you are simply not human.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
4:33 of pure silent bliss
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
Magic Johnson stands 4'33"
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
Had to google and I think I found it guys:

Best Song Ever

Tenacious D - Tribute (The Best Song In The World): https://youtu.be/2Jvgbe9Kx0U

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 03:20:04 AM »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 04:03:07 AM »
Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 for me. And Octavarium.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »
Astor Piazzolla's Adios Nonino probably.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline smegolas

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
I'd have to say something classical - I doubt any rock song will ever stand the test of time like the masters have.  Im partial to Mozart, perhaps the Overture to the Marriage of Figaro.

But - if we are talking rock, I nominate Bohemian Rapsody.  I would have to say that its the most original and awesome rock song of all time.  There is nothing else like it.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
I'd have to say something classical - I doubt any rock song will ever stand the test of time like the masters have.  Im partial to Mozart, perhaps the Overture to the Marriage of Figaro.

But - if we are talking rock, I nominate Bohemian Rapsody.  I would have to say that its the most original and awesome rock song of all time.  There is nothing else like it.

Eh. I don't understand this bias. :\

Obviously what someone heralds as one of the greatest pieces of music of all time is gonna be subjective, but there's no reason it can't come from any genre or any period in music history.

Regarding The Whirldwind earlier in the thread, personally, as a whole, it's far from being perfect. Now if you were to isolate Is It Really Happening?, then you'd have a good case. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »

Obviously what someone heralds as one of the greatest pieces of music of all time is gonna be subjective, but there's no reason it can't come from any genre or any period in music history.

I agree with this. I think classical music has a sort of reverence attached to it that, for the most part, is pretty unwarranted.
Back in the day, other than simplistic folk music, it simply was the only music in town. And it was still heavily encumbered by rules about what constitutes "proper music" and what not.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

Regarding The Whirldwind earlier in the thread, personally, as a whole, it's far from being perfect. Now if you were to isolate Is It Really Happening?, then you'd have a good case. :lol

No doubt that "Is It Really Happening?" is one of the greater moments the piece has to offer, but all of the build-up before it and the cathartic release after it really help to amplify the 11th movement's power. To me, it serves the purpose of climaxing before the closing movement, a strong tension and release, especially after an hour of music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
Totally agreed. The album itself is still quite good and in that regard, Is It Really Happening? is the perfect climax to it all. Even by itself, it's still one of the finest pieces prog has to offer. It has the tension, the build-up, the sheer raw soul and energy. It's really got it all.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Lady Brown might be the greatest rap song of all time.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
A Change of Seasons

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2014, 05:40:10 AM »

Several reasons why classical music is considered by some to contain the greatest music of all times:

- Just about every aspect of contemporary music was invented in classical music. Just about every chord progression that for instance Dream Theater uses has been used in classical music. Every rhythm and time signature change has been done by Stravinsky and Bartok, every phrasing done by Mozart and Beethoven. There is a reason why modern classical music is largely atonal: the possibilities of tonal music had simply been exhausted near the end of the 19th century: there was literally almost nothing to write that had not been done before. Every theme and harmony had been exploited.
- Connected to the previous point: classical music is huge. Classical music is simply all music that was written in close to 4 centuries in all the western world: this is a huge amount of pieces. Combine this with the fact that many classical composers had a far larger output than most modern artists, and that most classical composers were far ahead in terms of raw compositional skill compared to many contemporary musicians, the purely statistical chance of the greatest music being in classical music becomes quite big.
- Connected to the previous point: classical music is extremely varied, much more so than most contemporary music. Compare Debussy to Palestrina and you'll be hard pressed to find any similarities, yet they still exist under the same name. Compare pop to rock to funk to blues and you'll find that they all use rougly the same progressions, all use the minor pentatonic scale heavily, all play in 4/4, all use major/minor tonality, use roughly the same instruments etc. etc.
- It is the most sophisticated music ever written. Even most progressive music which is fairly complicated by contemporary standards is intellectually dull when compared to for example pieces like Bach's Kunst der Fuge. Only the best modern jazz comes close. Now, mere sophistication does not make great music of course, but at least it's an indication that classical composers were craftsmen of the highest degree, and indeed of a degree virtually unseen in contemporary music of any popularity. The best craftsmen tend to make the best products, think of this what you will.

Now, as you said, greatness is a very subjective term, but these are some reasons why some people (myself included) could consider classical music as containing the greatest music ever written.

I agree with this. I think classical music has a sort of reverence attached to it that, for the most part, is pretty unwarranted.
Back in the day, other than simplistic folk music, it simply was the only music in town. And it was still heavily encumbered by rules about what constitutes "proper music" and what not.

Your argument about classical music being the only music in town doesn't quite hold: just like today there were scores of composers in previous centuries. Therefore, what we call classical music now actually consists of the top 0.1-th percentile of the music that was made back in the day: it's not like what we are listening to now was the only music produced back then. Furthermore, J.S. Bach's music for instance was virtually unknown during his lifetime and wasn't performed again until almost a century after his death by rabid enthusiasts, at a time when contemporary music was flourishing. It was thus hardly the only music in town, in fact it had never been in town at all! The same is true for D. Scarlatti, Telemann etc.

About your argument that classical music was encumbered by rules, a lot of classical music was definitely not considered "proper music". Think of Stravinsky's audience wrecking the furniture during the first concert of the Sacre du Printemps, J.S. Bach being fired by churches because his music was "unlisteneable", Brahms being considered extremely old-fashioned, Mahler symphonies being rejected, etc. The fact is that many of these composers were so far ahead of their time that their music was hated: it was quite the opposite of "proper music". Of course some composers conformed to the rules of proper music, but this is fairly rare: our classical composers were mostly the trendsetters of the day. An average composer who simply went with the flow is often not remembered: like scientists composers are remembered because they invented something radically new and were great at it.

I'm wondering: how familiar are you with classical music, have you analyzed many pieces for example? The reason why I am asking is that I've never heard anyone who's seriously studied classical music saying its reverence is unwarranted. I'm not trying to have a dig at you, I'm genuinely interested in why you hold this opinion.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2014, 06:47:43 AM »
Just so you know, I'm not insinuating that classical music can't have some greatest-of-all-time compositions of its own.

Now, as you said, greatness is a very subjective term, but these are some reasons why some people (myself included) could consider classical music as containing the greatest music ever written.

That's fine. Genre bias is inevitable when you consider that you're always gonna prefer some style of music over another. Your original comment just seemed to come off as though other, more contemporary genres couldn't hope to match classical music's quality or some such, that's all.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »

Several reasons why classical music is considered by some to contain the greatest music of all times:

- Just about every aspect of contemporary music was invented in classical music. Just about every chord progression that for instance Dream Theater uses has been used in classical music. Every rhythm and time signature change has been done by Stravinsky and Bartok, every phrasing done by Mozart and Beethoven. There is a reason why modern classical music is largely atonal: the possibilities of tonal music had simply been exhausted near the end of the 19th century: there was literally almost nothing to write that had not been done before. Every theme and harmony had been exploited.
- Connected to the previous point: classical music is huge. Classical music is simply all music that was written in close to 4 centuries in all the western world: this is a huge amount of pieces. Combine this with the fact that many classical composers had a far larger output than most modern artists, and that most classical composers were far ahead in terms of raw compositional skill compared to many contemporary musicians, the purely statistical chance of the greatest music being in classical music becomes quite big.
- Connected to the previous point: classical music is extremely varied, much more so than most contemporary music. Compare Debussy to Palestrina and you'll be hard pressed to find any similarities, yet they still exist under the same name. Compare pop to rock to funk to blues and you'll find that they all use rougly the same progressions, all use the minor pentatonic scale heavily, all play in 4/4, all use major/minor tonality, use roughly the same instruments etc. etc.
- It is the most sophisticated music ever written. Even most progressive music which is fairly complicated by contemporary standards is intellectually dull when compared to for example pieces like Bach's Kunst der Fuge. Only the best modern jazz comes close. Now, mere sophistication does not make great music of course, but at least it's an indication that classical composers were craftsmen of the highest degree, and indeed of a degree virtually unseen in contemporary music of any popularity. The best craftsmen tend to make the best products, think of this what you will.

Your argument about classical music being the only music in town doesn't quite hold: just like today there were scores of composers in previous centuries. Therefore, what we call classical music now actually consists of the top 0.1-th percentile of the music that was made back in the day: it's not like what we are listening to now was the only music produced back then. Furthermore, J.S. Bach's music for instance was virtually unknown during his lifetime and wasn't performed again until almost a century after his death by rabid enthusiasts, at a time when contemporary music was flourishing. It was thus hardly the only music in town, in fact it had never been in town at all! The same is true for D. Scarlatti, Telemann etc.

About your argument that classical music was encumbered by rules, a lot of classical music was definitely not considered "proper music". Think of Stravinsky's audience wrecking the furniture during the first concert of the Sacre du Printemps, J.S. Bach being fired by churches because his music was "unlisteneable", Brahms being considered extremely old-fashioned, Mahler symphonies being rejected, etc. The fact is that many of these composers were so far ahead of their time that their music was hated: it was quite the opposite of "proper music". Of course some composers conformed to the rules of proper music, but this is fairly rare: our classical composers were mostly the trendsetters of the day. An average composer who simply went with the flow is often not remembered: like scientists composers are remembered because they invented something radically new and were great at it.

I'm wondering: how familiar are you with classical music, have you analyzed many pieces for example? The reason why I am asking is that I've never heard anyone who's seriously studied classical music saying its reverence is unwarranted. I'm not trying to have a dig at you, I'm genuinely interested in why you hold this opinion.

what he said.  and like i said its pretty tough to argue against how certain composers have remained revered over centuries.  i doubt people will be talking about light fuse and get away 200 years from now.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »

Very well said!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »
i doubt people will be talking about light fuse and get away 200 years from now.

Shots. Fucking. Fired.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »
This comes down to personal preference. I can't announce a composition to be the best ever. The whole idea kinda seems silly. Maybe I just don't want to consider one song the best. Music is the greatest invention of mankind though. And my favorite music is rock music. Rock will definitely earn its place next to Classical and Jazz.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »

You're right, great music will stand the test of time, be it from any genre. Also, "great music" is something that both Classical and Rock have in large amounts.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »

Rock music has only been around for 60 or so years, so saying that it 'won't stand the test of time' is a little silly if you ask me because we're still, relatively, in the beginning of it. Who knows what's going to happen. Plus with the internet, things don't just get lost anymore. Everything that's been released is going to be around for as long as there's an internet.

Also, most musicians, at least the ones I know, like to dig deep when searching for influences. If you really want to figure out why a person writes the music they do, you listen to what they listen to, and what the people they listen to listened to. You just keep digging.

Oh, and The Beatles.

Now, to get back on track here, the greatest piece of music of all time is 'Drought of Snow' by A Great Big Pile of Leaves. With 'Day of the Baphomets' by The Mars Volta in a close second.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »
Classical music is overhyped. Most of it was written to a certain standard with very few pushing boundaries (those being the ones we remember most today). Just like how music is written now. Paul McCartney had a quote around the time Sgt Pepper was made, something to the effect of: "pop is the classical music of now". Sure music is simpler now, but that has more to do with the way technology has evolved more than anything else. I don't see why other styles of music (rock, metal, electronic, country, you name it) won't be remembered the way Classical is.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2014, 11:14:53 PM »
Classical music is overhyped. Most of it was written to a certain standard with very few pushing boundaries (those being the ones we remember most today). Just like how music is written now. Paul McCartney had a quote around the time Sgt Pepper was made, something to the effect of: "pop is the classical music of now". Sure music is simpler now, but that has more to do with the way technology has evolved more than anything else. I don't see why other styles of music (rock, metal, electronic, country, you name it) won't be remembered the way Classical is.

This sentence is a paradox, I think. If technology has gotten better, why would music become simpler?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin