Author Topic: Greatest piece of music of *ALL* times  (Read 5645 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Greatest piece of music of *ALL* times
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
There, I asked. What do you think is the best composition of all times?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Sorry for being so specific.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »
Probably something from 300-500 years ago or the 70s.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jammindude

Re: Greatest piece of music of *ALL* times
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
Supper's Ready is #1
Cygnus X-1 - Book 2: Hemispheres is #2
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
Pachelbel's Canon in D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

EDIT - Serious answer, though? If I had to pick a SINGLE PIECE of music, I would say "The Whirlwind" by Transatlantic. It's long, it's epic, it's got ups and downs, lots of musical and lyrical themes, it's an emotional roller coaster with wonderful performances by every band member. It's not my FAVORITE TA album (that would be BAF, at least my edit of it), but as a single piece of music, it's just astonishing.

I'd also rank pieces like DT's "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", Rush's "2112" and Yes' "Awaken" and "Gates Of Delerium" (especially for the closing "Soon" section) up there as well.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:16:40 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, the song. Beethoven's Moolinght sonata would be at #2 though, it touches me so hard when I play it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »
Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring or Firebird. Either way, he wins.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
Status Seeker.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 01:48:04 PM »
Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring or Firebird. Either way, he wins.

Thumbs up for Stravinsky! He and Holst are two of my favorite 20th century classical composers.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_considered_the_best

From that list, I would choose Beatles' A Day in the Life, Hotel California or American Pie.
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is a good suggestion too.

In the prog world, I would suggest The Carpet Crawlers.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
All things considered, Rhapsody in Blue.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Lucien

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »

:tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
Beethoven's 5th. Has there ever been a more metal riff?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_considered_the_best

From that list, I would choose Beatles' A Day in the Life, Hotel California or American Pie.
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is a good suggestion too.

In the prog world, I would suggest The Carpet Crawlers.

I love your 3 non prog picks Rumbo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »

Echoes.

/thread
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »
Pelagial.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
Raw Dog
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
He and Holst are two of my favorite 20th century classical composers.

Jupiter
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
For me, it would be definitely Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

There hasn't been a greater musical achievement of such magnitude ever since IMO.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
I farted earlier. It brought tears to my eyes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »

There hasn't been a greater musical achievement of such magnitude ever since IMO.

Obviously this whole thread is of extremely personal opinion, but, I have to ask, isn't there the danger of confusing quantity with quality?
I kinda suspect the same thing happening with the poster who suggested Whirlwind, which is also over an hour of audio. Are those two pieces of constant high quality, or is it just easy to blend out the weak parts and remember the strong ones? If the piece is long enough, there's bound to be enough sections you will like.
When I suggested for example A Day in the Life or Hotel California, I thought those two songs shine because there are no bad parts. They aren't crazy long, but in that time frame they deliver salvo after salvo of awesomeness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
I farted earlier. It brought tears to my eyes.

Yeah, mine too. ;D

My favorite song of all time is Dream Theater's Learning To Live, but I'd accept Stairway To Heaven as the correct answer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
I'll third on either of the Stravinsky pieces.

The other candidate for me is John Coltrane's A Love Supreme (big shock, I know).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »

Obviously this whole thread is of extremely personal opinion, but, I have to ask, isn't there the danger of confusing quantity with quality?
I kinda suspect the same thing happening with the poster who suggested Whirlwind, which is also over an hour of audio. Are those two pieces of constant high quality, or is it just easy to blend out the weak parts and remember the strong ones? If the piece is long enough, there's bound to be enough sections you will like (and both last over an hour).
When I suggested for example A Day in the Life or Hotel California, I thought those two songs shine because there are no bad parts. They aren't crazy long, but in that time frame they deliver salvo after salvo of awesomeness.
I get what you mean, and your examples illustrate quite nicely your point. I do think that being able to pack a lot of awesomeness in a short period of time is a work of genius, and there have been really few groups of musicians that have achieved such a feat.

That being said, I had the chance of witnessing the 9th performed by a local orchestra a couple of months ago and it was one of the most mesmerzing musical experiences I've ever lived. There are no dull moments in any of the four movements whatsoever, and I don't think the 9th can be compared to The Whirlwind in any way but by their length.

I mean, the 9th (as well as most of Beethoven's work and most of the greats from the past) has stood the test of time and will continue to be a reference to a whole period in music history and the masterpiece work of one of the most gifted musicians that ever lived. I think The Whirlwind is a great album (not better than Bridge Across Forever if we jump to the prog wagon), but I don't think that it will be remembered in 50 years as one of the albums that defined a generation/period/anything.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »
Dream Theater's Meta-Album
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »

I kinda suspect the same thing happening with the poster who suggested Whirlwind, which is also over an hour of audio. Are those two pieces of constant high quality, or is it just easy to blend out the weak parts and remember the strong ones? If the piece is long enough, there's bound to be enough sections you will like (and both last over an hour).
I get what you mean, and your examples illustrate quite nicely your point. I do think that being able to pack a lot of awesomeness in a short period of time is a work of genius, and there have been really few groups of musicians that have achieved such a feat.

That being said, I had the chance of witnessing the 9th performed by a local orchestra a couple of months ago and it was one of the most mesmerzing musical experiences I've ever lived. There are no dull moments in any of the four movements whatsoever, and I don't think the 9th can be compared to The Whirlwind in any way but by their length.

I mean, the 9th (as well as most of Beethoven's work and most of the greats from the past) has stood the test of time and will continue to be a reference to a whole period in music history and the masterpiece work of one of the most gifted musicians that ever lived. I think The Whirlwind is a great album (not better than Bridge Across Forever if we jump to the prog wagon), but I don't think that it will be remembered in 50 years as one of the albums that defined a generation/period/anything.

Yeah, the biggest impetus for my post was of course the Whirlwind suggestion. I think Beethoven's 9th clearly stood the test of time.
I've just seen a lot of times over the years on this forum that people equate longwinded pieces with good music.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
I'm honestly not sure what song(s) I would rank as the greatest piece of music of all time. I'd really have to think hard on that one...

I will say though that the earlier mentioning of Awaken by Yes is definitely a good pick. Don't know if I'd go for it myself, but that's actually a really smart contender.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »

I kinda suspect the same thing happening with the poster who suggested Whirlwind, which is also over an hour of audio. Are those two pieces of constant high quality, or is it just easy to blend out the weak parts and remember the strong ones? If the piece is long enough, there's bound to be enough sections you will like.
I used to make the same argument about A Change of Seasons / Six Degrees and Blind Faith / Lines in the Sand years ago.

I'm quite the sucker for buying into the colossal reputation that certain albums have. Most, of course, just become good/great albums that don't have any huge lasting impact. A few painful cases have crashed and burned under the weight of my anticipation and spectacularly failed to deliver on their mythos - the two biggest ones were The Wall and Sgt Peppers.

I never had greater expectations for a piece of music than Beethoven's 9th. I kid you not, when I bought it, I didn't dare listen to it for nine months. It just sat there waiting amongst my other music until I could muster up the balls to put it on.

And it didn't disappoint me at all. Looking back, I guess I should find that incredible, but it's just that good, from start to finish, which isn't something I'd say about many of Beethoven's works. In fact, the Moonlight Sonata has an amazing first movement, a brief bridge of a second, and then a jarring third that, to me, actually detracts from the impact of the first.

Offline Grizz

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »
Others that come to mind:

John Butler's Ocean, a song which he wrote more than 15 years ago and constantly adapts live. It's still getting better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUPA_JDHUw

Charles Mingus' The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (four tracks, but it's all one suite)

Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto

And as ever, I stand by the opinion that all four songs on Side B of Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home could be the best song ever made, depending on the day of the week.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »
Yeah, the biggest impetus for my post was of course the Whirlwind suggestion. I think Beethoven's 9th clearly stood the test of time.
I've just seen a lot of times over the years on this forum that people equate longwinded pieces with good music.
Agreed. To me, The Whirlwind isn't any more special than other epics I've heard, it's a lesser epic to me even. It's only distinction is it's length.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
Another one of my favorite pieces of music is called Future by Quentin Doyen. It's beautiful.

https://musescore.com/user/99717/scores/216606

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »

:tup  Gershwin is great and this track is perfect!  :smiley: