Author Topic: What if...? A little game.  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
What if...? A little game.
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:25:55 AM »
OK, guys! Nothing extraordinary but I just wanted to launch a little game : What if...?

Over the years, we unfortunately lost a whole lot of incredible talents. Now, just imagine that was not the case and some of the greats were still alive. I wil begin by asking the first question : the person right after me answers it and then asks the second question (and so on). So, here it is :

What if Randy Rhoads had not died in that plane crash, what would have happened then?

B.Lee

PS : of course, this is all fictional, so no need to say it didn't happen because he died...I already know it.  ;)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: What if...? A little game.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:56 AM »
Bump! No one's interested?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:44:35 AM »
Pretty sure he was planning on going back to teaching.

What if Metallica had fired Lars in 1986?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
All right, I'll bite.

I would think that Randy Rhoads would still make a couple more albums with Ozzy before the inevitable Black Sabbath rumors and eventual reunion would occur.

Edit:  Dang, someone already answered.  Now would this firing be before or after Cliff Burton passed away?  I don't know what happened if Lars got fired.  I probably don't think Metallica would be the superstar, destroyer of worlds band status that they would be today if it happened.

What if Kurt Cobain didn't commit suicide in 1994?  Would Nirvana keep going in 1994 and beyond?  Would Dave Grohl still form a band of his own and have the success that Foo Fighters had?

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »
After Kurt's failed attempt at taking his own life, Courtney would have made Kurt sack his bandmates convincing him it was his idea. 

Kurt after a hiatus would have become a solo artist playing small pubs/clubs and not releasing  under his own name. 

He would have become a recluse a bit like J.D. Salinger.

He would have divorced Courtney whose band Hole would not be successful because she couldn't release their first album on the back of his death which is what happened with the release a week after Kurt died....Classy.

I think Dave would have first toured with Tom Petty, made music with other bands and then formed the Foo Fighters.  :smiley: 

Okay what would have happened if John Bonham had not passed away would Led Zeppelin have continued for years to come?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:07:34 AM »
Led Zeppelin almost certainly would've broken up anyway. That band was on its last leg already. The only difference I see is one more USA tour and maybe a halfhearted album before a complete break up. John Bonham spends the 80s in and out of rehab and Plant's solo career is more or less the same. A full scale reunion happens in the 00's, but this time with a complete tour and an actual album (in the vein of LZII and met with lukewarm reviews). The band continues with some tours here and there, but never reaches the legendary status of the older tours.

Edit: Looks like I read the rules wrong. Oops.

What if John Lennon never met Yoko?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:10:26 AM »
I think the Beatles would have disbanded anyway. The main two protagonists, Paul and John,  were not in tune anymore.
John's never meeting Yoko might have prevented his assassination. Somewhere down the road, the Beatles would have reunited but only for special events, not albums and long tours.

What if Jason Becker never had ALS?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
Holy fuck, that was my question when I read the OP..

He would have dominated the scene of hair metal, and then branched off to develop a whole new genre grouping together intricate instrumental work with the hard metal sound, and we would all be posting on the Jason Becker forums now.

What if Keith Moon had gone into rehab isntead of overdosing on horse tranquilizers?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Holy fuck, that was my question when I read the OP..

He would have dominated the scene of hair metal, and then branched off to develop a whole new genre grouping together intricate instrumental work with the hard metal sound, and we would all be posting on the Jason Becker forums now.

What if Keith Moon had gone into rehab isntead of overdosing on horse tranquilizers?

Amen. The guitar world was at his feet. He would be up there with Vai as the hired gun, and taking the guitar forward. Such as sad loss but what an awesome human being.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »

Not how he died, I recall he only did those once. But I would say it's hard (ba-dum, ching) to say. Seems like Pete might have been running out of creative steam by that point. Their output (studio and live) was slowing, but that was partially due to Keith. I don't imagine they would have continued much in to the 80s. Pete would still have did his solo work, and they would have gotten together for the (multiple) farewell tours they went on to do without Keith (and eventually John).

What if Syd Barrett got clean and sober in the 60s?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
Pink Floyd would have been a briefly lived, mostly British success, and faded away by 1970 or so.

What if Stevie Ray Vaughn hadn't gotten on that helicopter?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

Not how he died, I recall he only did those once.

You're right, I think the horse tranquilizers were the cause of his passing out at the Cow Palace show, where Pete asked an audience member to take over on drums.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 04:13:20 AM »
Pink Floyd would have been a briefly lived, mostly British success, and faded away by 1970 or so.

I guess he would have gone on releasing successful albums under his moniker and collaborating with other great artists, maybe going more mainstream still. At 60, he would still be touring with absolutely no desire to retire, for the pleasure of all his fans in the world.

What if Pantera had never turned into a thrash metal band and kept on doing glam metal?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 04:22:51 AM »

Same with Randy Rhoads and his flight - I'd love to have seen what he ended up doing.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au