Author Topic: A Joining of Vision and Reflection  (Read 689 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
A Joining of Vision and Reflection
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
I've been playing around with this idea for the last few weeks.
Imagine the band going back and re-visiting each phase of their career, but putting a "modern spin" on at least some of it.
Now in MY version of this idea, there are no personnel changes-I'm staying with the current LaBrie/Mangini/Myung/Petrucci/Rudess version-but for each show or tour I'm pretending that the next album doesn't exist.
Each show will be an "evening with," with no opening act or DT opening for another band.
Each set will be within the length of a regular recording CD, or just under 80 minutes, so each show will be as if it was being packaged and sold as a double live CD.
Any and all participation is more than welcome.
You can critique my selections, make substitutions, change the length of the sets, bring in guest singers and musicians (former members) ad covers, solos, or even "newer" songs to each show as YOU see fit.
I just hope this is something we can all have fun with.
I will probably ad a new one about every day, depending on what kind of participation I get.

The first show-at least my version of it-will consist almost entirely of their first two albums, with a few "bonuses," and I changed the order of the original track-listings to break up the monotony.

A Joining of Vision and Reflection-

Set 1:
1) Eve
2) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
3) The Killing Hand
4) Another Won
5) Guitar Solo
6) Afterlife
7) Status Seeker
8) Keyboard Solo
9) Light Fuse and Get Away
10) YtseJam
11) Drum Solo
12) Only a Matter of Time
13) A Fortune in Lies

I originally have "Perfect Strangers" after "Staus Seeker" and "To Live Forever" at the very end, instead of the keyboard and guitar solos, so take your pick...

Set 2:
1) Under a Glass Moon
2) Take the Time (Done in the "Chaos in Motion" style)
3) Wait for sleep (I would like this song done as a "full band" arrangement, similar to the "Live in Tokyo" version, but with the piano remaining as the lead instrument.)
4) Another Day (This is one of the rare times I would want there to be a guest musician. On sax, of course. Preferably Jay Beckenstein.)
5) Surrounded (Again, done in the "Chaos in Motion" style. I just can't get enough of that Petrucci solo/jam!)
6) Learning to live (Done in the "Live scenes From New York" style. I originally had 5 & 6 reversed, but I decided it sounded better this way. Besides most people like "Learning" at the end of the show, anyway.)
7) Pull Me Under (I know there's not a lot of difference, but I like the "Budokan" version of this song.)

Encore: "Luna Park" style version of...
  ...what else?... 8) Metropolis

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:55:59 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...