Author Topic: A Nightmare to Remember  (Read 10684 times)

Offline Xenon

Re: A Nightmare to Remember
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
If Mikael Akerfeldt had done vocals for "day afeter day..." I would like it, but portnoy is not a the best singer and a worst growler. I don't know what was going on in his mind thinking that was a good idea.
As some of you pointed out, the song drags after the beautiful agony part.
nothing that MP does in this song counts as growling.
Exactly.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »
Why do people get all tangled up on semantics.  When it gets to Mike section the song drags.  Before that it is a damn good song.  Most agree with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
What if the song ended with the solos, unison and normal ending fade out? Makes it 11 minutes and 5 seconds.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
While the criticism of MP's contributions may be warranted, its probably the last time DT ever tried something 'new' on an album.  Sure it may have fallen flat for a lot of people, but I'd rather hear DT take risks like that than rest on their laurels - which they're certainly guilty of on the last two albums, imo.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
While the criticism of MP's contributions may be warranted, its probably the last time DT ever tried something 'new' on an album.  Sure it may have fallen flat for a lot of people, but I'd rather hear DT take risks like that than rest on their laurels - which they're certainly guilty of on the last two albums, imo.

I'd rather them play it a bit safe than try and fail at something new, ruining a song in the process.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »

I'd rather them play it a bit safe than try and fail at something new, ruining a song in the process.

Well by god count your lucky stars cos playing it safe is what they do best.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »

As long they don't map out older songs of theirs to make new ones I'm good.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »

I can't tell if this is a reference to the sampling thread or the Thiago Campos thing but either way I lol'd.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »

I can't tell if this is a reference to the sampling thread or the Thiago Campos thing but either way I lol'd.

Thiago of course, but he wasn't wrong... Mostly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
Great song, and the second half doesn't drag it down imo. My only complaints with the song are that the lyrics in the second half of the growl section don't fit the delivery, and that MP held back on doing full on growls.

What I've always loved about this song is how well JR fits the heaviness, adding something unique to the song with the theramin and creepy halloween type sounds. It gives it an awesome mood. I love what he does with the middle section too, with the Rhodes kind of sound.
And I love the vocals too. JLB is sounding great, and the harmonies are among my favourite from DT, both in the heavy sections and the soft section.
But let's not forget about JP! I like how he blends the bluesy rock leads over that awesome metal riffing.

I'd probably give it an 8.5/10.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »

This notion of DT playing safe in the last two albums is really overblown.  It lacks context. In the context of DT having a run of 5 albums in a heavy and very metal direction, releasing ADTOE that reverses the trend towards a heavy sound was not a safe choice at all. It was a gamble that the fanbase that they developed during the heavy riff-driven era would accept a turn towards a less heavy more melodic musical direction.

DT12 is also not safe in the context that DT relies heavily on instrumental virtuosity to carry their songs. We are so used to them doing long songs filled with instrumentals, like ANTR. Releasing an album full of songs that are to the point and cuts down on excess instrumentals is NOT safe in this context.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
I apreciate something new, but you gotta do it well. If you gonna do it poorly like that, don't do it.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »
Love it from start to finish.

One of DT best songs.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »
One of DT's worst songs.  The lyrics are far too literal, the subject isn't interesting, and the riffs are boring. 

Strangely, I think one of the overblown criticisms is MP's vocals.  If you were to like the rest of the song, I don't see how this could seem out of place.  I still don't like the lyrics during that part and I think just letting James do the different vocals they originally planned on might have sounded cooler but this is far from their biggest problem. 

I do have to admit the beautiful agony part is kind of cool. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »
What's wrong with being literal?  It's telling a story and I'm fine with that.  It's much better than DARK MASTER!!!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 11:48:37 PM »
I fell in love with this song watching the drummer auditions and I thoroughly enjoy it all the way through every time I listen to it. For a while, I listened to it every night while drifting into sleep, as I mentioned in my very first post here on DTF.

The "Day after day" section gets a big thumbs up from me, it successfully pushes the energy levels over the top in an already immensely energetic song. Props to Mike for trying something new with the blast beats as well, too bad he didn't follow it up properly and opted not to do it in the live renditions. I only wish Jordan's Rhodes in the middle of the song were mixed louder.

I hope it will get an official release one day, it would be interesting to hear it with the alternate vocal melodies. (If anyone missed this, check it out, really neato: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2352022.aspx).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline adastra

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 11:56:48 PM »
I fell in love with this song watching the drummer auditions and I thoroughly enjoy it all the way through every time I listen to it. For a while, I listened to it every night while drifting into sleep, as I mentioned in my very first post here on DTF.

The "Day after day" section gets a big thumbs up from me, it successfully pushes the energy levels over the top in an already immensely energetic song. Props to Mike for trying something new with the blast beats as well, too bad he didn't follow it up properly and opted not to do it in the live renditions. I only wish Jordan's Rhodes in the middle of the song were mixed louder.

I hope it will get an official release one day, it would be interesting to hear it with the alternate vocal melodies. (If anyone missed this, check it out, really neato: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2352022.aspx).

Yeah big thumbs up to Portnoy for trying something new!  :heart
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »

This notion of DT playing safe in the last two albums is really overblown.  It lacks context. In the context of DT having a run of 5 albums in a heavy and very metal direction, releasing ADTOE that reverses the trend towards a heavy sound was not a safe choice at all. It was a gamble that the fanbase that they developed during the heavy riff-driven era would accept a turn towards a less heavy more melodic musical direction.

DT12 is also not safe in the context that DT relies heavily on instrumental virtuosity to carry their songs. We are so used to them doing long songs filled with instrumentals, like ANTR. Releasing an album full of songs that are to the point and cuts down on excess instrumentals is NOT safe in this context.

Going back to a formula that has proven itself to work time and time again does not constitute risk. 

I would say there's probably the same amount of time spent on instrumental passages in the latest album as there is on Awake, so even that aspect could be considered a re-hash.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:48:32 AM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline adamack

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 12:41:31 AM »
If Mikael Akerfeldt had done vocals for "day afeter day..." I would like it, but portnoy is not a the best singer and a worst growler. I don't know what was going on in his mind thinking that was a good idea.
As some of you pointed out, the song drags after the beautiful agony part.

Oh man, Mikael would have made that sound amazing.

Offline adamack

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2014, 12:58:59 AM »

Wow, awesome stuff by MP in that link! Thanks for it. Love how he posted the different takes.

After hearing the "cookie monster" take and the take with James, I'm really glad they decided to go with the toned-down approach. Hearing the other takes shed some light on everything.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
The worst song on the album for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2014, 02:37:34 AM »
I like it a lot.

Only real downside is that it slightly overstays its welcome. The instrumental section towards the end goes on a bit.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:04 AM »
Now I think about it - I think the running order is pretty much worst to best for me :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 03:23:18 AM »
WOOHOO RANKING TIME!

1. The Count of Tuscany
2. Wither
3. The Shattered Fortress
4. A Nightmare to Remember
5. The Best of Times
6. A Rite of Passage

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adastra

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 04:09:34 AM »

Wow, awesome stuff by MP in that link! Thanks for it. Love how he posted the different takes.

After hearing the "cookie monster" take and the take with James, I'm really glad they decided to go with the toned-down approach. Hearing the other takes shed some light on everything.

Haven't heard that before o_O  MP sounds pretty good on that most BRUTAL take!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 04:32:43 AM »
You know, I'd probably go as far as saying that the MP vocal section is DT's worst moment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
You know, I'd probably go as far as saying that the MP vocal section is DT's worst moment.

You know, I'd probably go as far as saying that the MP vocal section is DT's most exaggerated and overblown criticism.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »
Any lyrical section meant to be dark and sound demonic ending with "everyone survived" is just...a bit ironic.

Not when taken in the context of the rest of the lyrics it isn't.
I have no idea how you could say such a thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 06:16:34 AM »
Yeah, that is true, but unlike Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, the experimentation wasn't that successful.

I mean, MP's blast beats sound like JLB trying to do growls or something.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2014, 06:27:34 AM »
That is basically MP jumping the shark.

Oh man, Mikael would have made that sound amazing.

Oh God no. Puleeze.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2014, 06:50:48 AM »
And another thing..on MP's Score Commentary, during the Innocence Faded outro, he talks about how this section is very Journeyish and that DT fans would never let them get away with playing a section like that again.
Now I thought that outro was universally loved, yet somehow MP thought DT would rather hear something like the Night After Night section??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Xenon

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »
All those takes with mp singing don't do anything for me. I think even James agressive, screamy vocals could have been better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
Any lyrical section meant to be dark and sound demonic ending with "everyone survived" is just...a bit ironic.

Not when taken in the context of the rest of the lyrics it isn't.
I have no idea how you could say such a thing.

I can say such a thing because the lyrics and tone make perfect sense, and anyone who simply focuses on the last line or two isn't paying attention to why that line is there and how its role in that section is quite different than what the line in isolation would otherwise imply.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:18:13 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lithium112

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
I can say such a think because the lyrics and tone make perfect sense, and anyone who simply focuses on the last line or two isn't paying attention to why that line is there and how its role in that section is quite different than what the line in isolation would otherwise imply.

Seriously, so much this. Sure, if you take that line alone, it sounds very positive, but when taken in the context of a child's recollection of a horrific tragedy ("No son should ever have to see his father such a mess" is pretty dark) this makes perfect sense.

I love this section, and especially live it was amazing to see. One of the highlights of that tour for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
I love this section, and especially live it was amazing to see.
Actually, I do too. Not a fan of the studio version, but that part was really cool live.