Author Topic: Obfuscation's "This derphead again?" v.3 Roulette ITS ALL OVER!!!  (Read 19016 times)

Offline Tyrias

Re: Obfuscation's "This derphead again?" v.3 Start of another roulette
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
Ok, I've learned my lesson, no more short simple songs for you :lol. Will send something great in a few moments.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
Sent.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »
Stoked you like the Tears for Fears.  Songs From the Big Chair is a classic album, and is pretty proggy in places - for a pop album anyways. 

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »
Opinions on classical/neoclassical music?

Always willing to give it a listen since I've heard some that sound awesome to my ears but also others that just fall flat.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline adace

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
Sent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2014, 01:37:15 AM »
Don't worry guys. I will have the results in tomorrow.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
 :tup

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2014, 12:23:47 AM »
I have half the write-ups done and just need the rest to finish cause I was interrupted by people at my house so I will finish them in the morning. Sorry for the small delay.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
No problems dude :tup . Btw, I think the "Start of another roulette" is a bit confusing now that we're on round three.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2014, 03:26:02 AM »
So...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
I hope everything's ok, dude.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »
So I apologize for these several days of delay and silence. That's what unexpected events in life do to you. Had to deal with some family issues and internet issues but now all is solved and well and should actually go more smoother and faster than the start of this roulette actually. So once I apologize and this shall be my last excuse for anything in this roulette. Anyways, results time. Also some write-ups towards the end are shorter and less detailed cause of what was previously mentioned.

Lucien - Rush: The Garden

Well obviously I didn't listen to the Clockwork Angels album after my last roulette since I never listened to this song and surprised to see a Rush song submitted this round. While ultimately I wouldn't consider this song as fitting in a end of the world category, I put it more into the end of someone's life or memories. That's influenced by the lyrics of the song and how I interpret them. Musically speaking, it does fit the sound of closing something out or the end of something as well so musically it fits the bill. Not as drastic or I guess earth shattering of a song to represent the end of the world but can represent the end of something in other ways. Plus I liked it.
Score: 7/10

Nekov - Angra: Fireworks

Maybe its just me and how this song was sent after Lucien's submission so I listened to it after the Rush one but they ended up sounding very similar to each other in almost every way that I thought I ended up listening to another Rush song lol. So to keep this short and seeing how I mentioned they were both very similar sounding to me, almost everything I said about the Rush song can be said about this one. The only thing that brings the score of this one down a notch is that the sound or atmosphere of it doesn't really portray the end of the world or anything like that to me. In actuality, it sounds really upbeat to me in many moments.
Score: 6/10

Scorpion - Swallow the Sun: The Morning Never Came

So this song really does fit in quite a bit into sounding like a song that should be played at the end of the world in my opinion of course. Even the name of the band can cause the end of the world with the song title being the result of that. I guess why the sound and atmosphere of this song really works is because it falls into the genre of Doom Metal which is really almost what the whole genre is about. Impending doom. Since the song really doesn't change much though, the 9 minutes can actually feel pretty long if you keep listening to the song. And the vocals are alright. Overall it fits the theme and everything and is pretty good but just doesn't convey a hopeless picture in my mind.
Score: 8/10

sneakyblueberry - Spook the Horses: Paper Harbours, Hanging Skies

So first off, the band's sound regarding guitar tine and the guitar riffs iu this song fit the theme that I picked for this round which is a given seeing as this is a post-metal band and this genre usually has that. What usually doesn't do it for me though are the vocals which I can see why people use them for music like this or some people think it fits the theme but I usually feel like they're the weakest link of the music. I think this song would've been better without the vocals because from the part where the song slows down and then picks up again, there are no vocals but it just works with the instruments alone. But it also has an atmosphere signifying the end of something for me which is what I was looking for.

LordCost - Soundgarden: 4th of July

Of course I've heard of Soundgarden like a million times in my life but I never really took the time to go and listen to most of their music. Now I want to. This song has that feeling of everything having coming to ann end or having no hope at all and just giving up on just about everything and waiting for the end to come. What's also great is how a song like this has a good somewhat catchy chorus. I can also somewhat see the lyrics being about the end of the world although I really think they're about something else.
Score: 9/10

Tyrias - Clint Mansell: Death is the Road to Awe

So this as you described it, "somewhere between neo-classical/post-rock/soundtrack ", is defitnetly a song that fits for the end of the world. This just oozes with that feeling all the way towards the end to the short climaxes that it has. I just feel that there are certain parts of this that could've been trimmed down a bit but maybe those sections woould work better if this was being played as the soundtrack of a movie. Anyway just a minor complaint and also wish the climaxes were a bit longer.
Score: 9.5/10

Sacul - Ulver: Son of Man

You caught a lucky break that I haven't gone through all of Ulver's discovgraphy since I have it all after my last roulette. And this is just making me want to go listen to it all now. This song has a bleak and dark atmosphere but the way it sounds and is composed gives it off more of a mass feeling which makes perfect sense since this album was made for that. But I can also see it fitting and giving the sound of the theme. The sound and production of it is excellent and the vocals really do fit the sound of the song as well.

adace - Max Richter: The Nature of Daylight

Right off the bat this song reminded of Godspeed You! Black Emeperor which of course is perfect for this round but banned since they are also one of my favorite bands of all time. So its safe to say that I was really expecting to like this song if it kept going that way. I like hwo the whole song is just strings and they sound great and are played great. The first problem I came upon was the video from the link and the title of the song. Watching the video at first with the song name right next to me was giving me not a feeling of the end of the world but more like the beginning or the new start of one after so much had happened. But I decided not to watch the video and just listen to the music( I even read this poem or what somewhat wrote in the comments and it actually helped) and more towards the end of the song I start to get that feeling of culmination. The sorrowful sound and playing of the violin really helped that and I just thought this was a beautiful song at the end of it all.
Score: 10/10

Scores
Tyrias: 14+9.5=23.5
Lucien: 16+7=23
sneakyblueberry: 16
adace: 17+10+27
Sacul: 19+9=28
LordCost: 15+9=24
Scorpion: 16+8=24
Nekov: 16+6=22

So for round 4 I'm going with send me the song you think has the best groove(whatever it may be that you consider groove to be) in your opinion. Let's get groovy baby!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
No problems dude - life before entertainment, always :tup . And yeah, Ulver's awesome. Will send later.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Nice to hear you got through those issues  :smiley: Don't worry about the delays

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Thank you for understanding guys but from here on out, I don't expect there to be anymore delays so you guys won't have to worry about that either.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »
Don't know if it's "groovy", but sent a really fun song.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
I already responded to your message so please read it as soon as you can.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
Read and sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
Regarding the song being upbeat, I was aiming at what you might want to feel before the end of the world

Sent

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2014, 09:17:36 PM »
Makes sense and I should'be taken that into consideration.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2014, 02:47:09 AM »
js my scores 24 :)

groovy hmmmm.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 12:46:38 AM »
Still waiting for Lucien, Scorpion, and adace.

Offline adace

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 04:31:31 AM »
Sent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
Just 2 more.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
So, how is this coming along?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
So, how is this coming along?
This. By the way, the "Start of another roulette" is a bit confusing, dude.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Re: Obfuscation's "This derphead again?" v.3 Round 4 results
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
Will make changes to the thread.

Sacul - Nine Inch Nails: Mr. Self Destruct

So I'm somewhat familiar with certain NIN songs and mostly the Ghosts album but need to listen to all their stuff more still. Now the groove in this song is really intresting since its really mostly done by some weird metallic sound and then some synths that pop in once in a while. The most important thing is that it works. Also the vocal melodies really fit and go with the groove. The small break in the middle song gives you a breather while still having that groove being played by a bassline quietly in the background and I quite frankly think it works. Maybe I also need to listen to this song in the context of the album cause for me and I don't know why, it just sounds and feels like the ending to a longer song actually. Also wish that ending with the weird sound effect was a bit shorter.

Nekov - I Mother Earth: Juicy

Holy bass slapping. Why is bass slapping so groovy? Also the rhythm being played by the drums just adds more groove to the song and keeps it going during the chorus where there is no bass slapping obviously. And then the break this song has with just the vocals and the bass is awesome and sounds great which leads into some pretty damn nice guitar solos. All in all, awesome groovy song though I feel like I heard other songs similar sounding to this one by some other bands but this one is one of the best ones.

Tyrais - Rammstein: Mein Teil

Ah good all Rammstein. I like them but have not heard maybe even 25% of their catalog so its something I need to work on. And yes I 've seen videos of their live shows and think they are awesome and wish I could've gone to the Live at Nimes one. Also songs in other launguages don't bother so don't worry about that. AAT forst I was kinda meh about this song cause it didn't do much for me and still think the chorus is just okay at most currently. Also regarding the groove of the song, it takes a while to grow on me and only really with the synth part is that it works.
Score: 6/10

LordCost - Twelve Foot Ninja - Clarion

So when this song first started, I didn't know what to expect and then all the instruments kicked in. What a bad ass, groovy riff in my opinion. Only thing is that I don't have much to say about this one besides that right now. I just think its a really good riff with a good amount of groove in it.

sneakyblueberry - Earth, Wind, & Fire: Serpentine Fire

The grooviness is just oozing out of this song right from the start. Every thing in this song is just great and adds to the groove from the drums, bass, percussion, and trumpets. Even the vocals with the way they sing in this song. I like how they even strip down certain sections of the song with just the percussion at parts and it still just has an undeniable groove to it. The most impressive thing as well of this 10/10 score I will give it is that I rearely listen to music of thie time era or certain genres cause they're usually a miss with me but not this one.

Score: 10/10

adace - TREPALIUM: Heic Noenum Pax

So first of all, this is a pretty cool song with grreat instrument playing and a good riff. The main problem I have with it is that it pales in comparison to lots of other songs I got in this round in the groove factor. If this song was submitted in some other round or something, it would've gotten a higher score but since I was looking for groove, this song doesn't have much in my opinion. I may be wrong though but it just doesn't for me.

Score: 5/10

Scorpion - Sigh: Ecstatic Transformation

I'm a fan of Sigh but have only listened to their last album and Hangman's Hymns. Been meaning to check this album out since what seems like forever and this pushing me even more to do so. Although I felt at times that it might've been just a tab bit long and should've had more going on for it but all said and done, I enjoyed it.

Score: 7/10

Lucien - Brain Bennett: Voyage

When this started I literally thought, "Who the hell turned on my PSone. But besides that, onto the song. Took quite a bit to get started and get into the main theme or groove of the song you can say but its a 7 minute song. The funkyness of the song gave it that groove though. With it being an instrumental song and not relying on vocals to help it, at first it felt a bit simple and not much going on for it. But as the song kept on going it made subtle changes to keep the song from going stale which it felt it would at times.

Scores
Tyrias: 23.5+6=29.5
Lucien: 23+8=31
sneakyblueberry: 24+10=34
adace: 27+5=32
Sacul: 28+8=36
LordCost: 24+8=32
Scorpion: 24+7=31
Nekov: 22+9=31

Round 5 will be and I was going to save this for the end but fuck it, I'ma do it now. The theme will be epic which I know some of you were hoping for an epic round so there you go. Send away!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
Cool. With epic, you just mean long songs with lots of parts/sections, right?

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2014, 01:35:41 AM »
Cool. With epic, you just mean long songs with lots of parts/sections, right?

Nope. Can be a short song that sound epic to you as well. So length isn't the most important factor in this but will not hurt you in any way as long as the song is good of course.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2014, 08:39:01 AM »
Awesome! I still need to do one hell of a job to reach the first place... Speaking of which, could you post the results in order so it's easier to identify who's winning this?  ::)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
Can I repeat an artist? Will send soon though.

Edit: Never mind, sent.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:59:46 AM by Sacul »

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »
Sure I will put them in order next time. Also yes artists can be repeated.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »
Sent

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »
scent
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin