Author Topic: Obfuscation's "This derphead again?" v.3 Roulette ITS ALL OVER!!!  (Read 19019 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Obfuscation's "This derphead again?" v.3 Start of another roulette
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
And a bump for good luck  :P
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
You'll need it. I was wondering, do you always send classical music on roulettes? Not complaining though (I love that stuff), just curious about your choices.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
You'll need it. I was wondering, do you always send classical music on roulettes? Not complaining though (I love that stuff), just curious about your choices.

It's my favorite music. For specific themes, I'll send other music if it's easier, but in general classical music is what I send the most now, and specific composers are virtually never banned by anyone, so I can always send.  :P

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 01:56:27 AM »
Sorry for a delay right away by my work schedule was changed today but I'll post results in the next 8 hours or so, so you won't have to wait like 2 days or anything.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Don't worry, I just hope I did barely well on this one :lol .

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »
Sorry for a delay right away by my work schedule was changed today but I'll post results in the next 8 hours or so, so you won't have to wait like 2 days or anything.

20 hours later....
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

20 hours later....

I know. I should be ashamed but I just had a hectic work week and still do but I'm actually written the results right now so give me a couple of more minutes.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »
Tyrias - Billy Clyro: Spanish Radio

So I've been neglecting rock quite a bit since nothing really has grabbed my attention for quite some time in the rock realm and this song started off kinda like that. But while listening to the song go on and hearing how it sounded like it was growing into something bigger and leading up to something, it started to grab my attention. If nobody has noticed, I like songs that do that and in which the climax pays off and is actually good. The climax of this song is at the end and is actually good and I like it. Only thing I didn't like was how short it was and felt.Everything else of the song was good, vocals and instruments(and liked that it had trumpets in it for some reason). But the song prior to the beginning was just okay to me that without the ending, I probably listen to this song or maybe better worded, looked forward to listening again.
Score: 7/10

Lucien - Lucien: Zephyros

So first time I have ever gotten someone to send me their own work in a roulette which is actually nice. Seeing as it was from you, I knew it couldn't be anything else but a classic piece. It was quite good as well which I'm happy to say. It reminded of lots of other classical pieces I have heard whether in a game or movie which is good. This song obviously has a 1st and 2nd half to it with me preferring the 1st. It starts off nice and slow and build to a epic, frantic sounding section with a nice fast melody played by quite a couple of instruments. The 2nd half continues the sound and atmosphere of the 1st but to a as good extent as the 1st half. Still quite a good piece and look forward to hearing more from you. P.S. The soundcard version sounded pretty cool too.
Score: 8/10

sneakyblueberry - Gatherer: Pretty Much

So even though my bands list doesn't really show it, I have listened to quite a few hardcore bands and music. Its really a hit or miss for me genre but when I find a band or song that works for me, I enjoy the heck out of it. This song has all the right things going for it in sound with the instruments and vocals fitting together quite nicely. Most of the song, for instance the intro and slower sections I feel are really good but the weakest part of the song is the chorus. It just really doesn't do much for me when it comes up which kinda sucks cause the rest of the song is pretty good while the ending I find as well to be okay though.

adace - Celtic Fantasy Music - Druidic Dreams

So another song influence and only really classical instruments being used. This one as well I got a huge vibe of mostly fantasy video games and movies I have seen before. This one was really good even though if you pay attention to each section separately, you notice how simple they are but man do they meld and work just great together. The drums and string section when playing have a sound that makes it feel like you're in the world where this type of music would be played in. I also like how while the song seems to be mostly upbeat and have a happy tone to it, has a melancholy feeling to it in certain parts which I like. Overall, good song.
Score: 9/10

Sacul - David Maxim Micic - Where is Now?

You caught a lucky break that I didn't buy this album off of bandcamp a month ago and that the song you picked wasn't one of the ones I had heard before because man, this song was awesome. The intro right away is great and another song that is influenced by classical music especially with sections that heavily feature the classical piano and violin. The guitar in this is just great and sounds good with an awesome guitar solo at the end. Have to give a shoutout to that bass to that when it takes the spotlight, man it sounds nice. Am really glad that this song feature vocals instead of just being an instrumental song but with the vocals being used as instruments since they don't say any lyrics but sound great. That scatting/doo-wop vocal part just fits in good with the song. It has the perfect length for it and liked how it sounds and reminds me of lots of other bands and artists I like but has its won sound. I could say lots more about this song but want to make this too long so I will just say that I enjoyed it.
Score: 10/10

LordCost - The Ocean: Firmament

Another guy who caught a lucky break with this song since I have listened quite a bit to The Ocean but not really this song since its not on their last album which most of my listening to them has come from. What can I besides all the pros and cons it has is that for me its a solid song. Like the guitar riff and chorus that it breaks into even though I don't think the vocals are bad but not the greatest thing ever in certain parts. I will just say for me the vocals are the weakest thing about this song. Everything else is just really good. Especially that break it has halfway in in which I really liked the drum work in it while the mood the guitar set up. Then it breaks loose and kicks off with a good guitar solo with great rhythm work from the drum and bass and probably the best vocal part as well. So yeah, a solid song.

Scorpion - Caladan Brood: Wild Autumn Wind

So Scorpion sent in my opinion the most interesting and hardest song for me to rate this round. Not because of the genre it was but because I had a hard time determining how much I liked it. The first time listening the mistake I made(if you see it that way) was listening to this song at night while laying before going to sleep. I didn't make it to the end before I feel asleep. But now I will that's because of how relaxing this song actually is depending on how you look at it. Some might not think that cause of vocals but I'm used to vocals like this even though for me they are a hit and miss for me lots of times in Black Metal but in this song, they just work. The atmosphere this song is just amazing for me with being epic among many other adjective that can be used to describe it. Also besides being another song heavily influenced by classical music and all, halfway it changes a bit while still in the same mood at first but feels like its coming to an end but done almost perfectly. Has guitar solos kicking in for it in the final act and some instruments like the drums kick it up a notch and in come the decent clean vocals. I mean this song is just awesome and am glad it last 13 minutes instead of 7.  :metal

Nekov -  Autumn Moonlight: Ghost

So Nekov went after my enjoyment of post-rock music which I'm always glad to see people do since I really do like that type of music. He sent me a band I don't think many people at all have ever heard of as well. The negative of post-rock is how samey many bands can sound like and even songs do. This one started off like that first which had me a bit worried and hoping to see something happen to make it good. Don't get me wrong, the beginning is god but its something I've heard be done many times already I feel like. Then comes the heavy part which was actually something heavier than I was expecting and is good. Also like how it wasn't really short to give it the feeling that it was just thrown in for the hell of it but actually given its moment. Then when it goes back to the melody introduced in the intro, its actually been infected by the energy brought in by the heavy section and impacted by it. This causes it to become a good song for me cause even though its also something that's been done before, it sounds really good in this song and leads to a good ending. I like it.

So the results.

Tyrias: 7
Lucien: 8
sneakyblueberry: 7
adace: 9
Sacul: 10
LordCost: 8
Scorpion: 10
Nekov: 8

So for round 2 the theme is Pop. Send me a pop song whether it be a recent one since I haven't really kept with any lately or one from a couple of year or decades back that you think is good of course and has upbeat sound to it. Throwing somewhat of a oddball here right now for me just to see what I get so yeah. Let's do it. Also I promise not to lie anymore about when I will post results but am expecting to have this round done before Thanksgiving. Yay!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 03:19:54 AM »
I like the song I sent more than both songs that got a ten from you this round, but oh well. Different strokes I guess ::). Anyway, sent some poppy tune.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 05:34:26 AM »

20 hours later....

I know. I should be ashamed but I just had a hectic work week and still do but I'm actually written the results right now so give me a couple of more minutes.
[/quote

Just razzin ya dude.  In case you hadn't noticed, that's what I do - especially in Roulette threads!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »
Sacul - David Maxim Micic - Where is Now?

:eek Yeah the song's pretty amazing, but so does that album and the rest of David's work. I hope you consider buying the record now ;) . Btw, the pop song has to be just pop, or could it be mixed with another genres like metal or electronica?

Edit: Sent.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:53:14 AM by Sacul »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
Glad you liked that song and I totally get what you are saying about post rock. It's difficult to find bands that go out of the norm and these guys do  :smiley:

Sent round 2
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lucien

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
Does it have to be super popular, or can it simply be really really pop influenced?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2014, 12:13:14 PM »
I sent of that last kind. I hope it counts.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
I'm waiting to send because I don't know what it counts.. it's already difficult if it's the second alternative  :(

I have your same thoughts about Firmament (apart that I don't dislike the vocalist), the best way to describe it it's that's a solid song, I would have rate it as you do!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:12:25 PM by LordCost »

Offline adace

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »
Glad you liked it. Sent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 11:07:53 PM »
For any of you having questions about the Pop category, it doesn't have to be popular or just strictly a Pop song. As long as it has some pop influence in it, its fine by me. It can be mixed with any genre as well.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »

20 hours later....

[/quote

Just razzin ya dude.  In case you hadn't noticed, that's what I do - especially in Roulette threads!

Yeah I know but I promised everybody here 2 times of when I would post results to end up not doing it. I also want to keep a good pace going and not worry people about me taking forever to get through rounds like in other roulettes, cough cough.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2014, 05:00:39 AM »
Fuck yeah Caladan Brood! \m/

Sent round 2.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Obfuscation, your inbox is full and I can't send you the song

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
^ This.  Can we just use the email doodadee thing there?

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
Sorry for full inbox situation. You can send me your picks now. And yes you can use my email as well.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2014, 05:33:50 AM »
So this' been quiet....

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
I know of another that's been too silent lately.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »
Sorry. Results will be poster tomorrow for sure just that had a busier holiday weekend than I thought and haven't been able to get on but will be able to tomorrow.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 12:11:41 AM »
Tyrias - Awolnation: Wake Up

So I'm familiar with who this is and like some of his songs that I listen to but they've really been only his most popular ones. I also heard some others that I found to be sorta on the average side. Don't ever remember hearing this song but am glad it was sent cause I dig it. I like the beat it has which I think goes great with the vocal melodies that are littered throughout this song. As I hope most of you have noticed, I'm a big fan of choruses and this one has a good one and I like it. But nowhere being the best or catchiest that I have heard. So overall a good song on my opinion but nothing really that grabs at me and gets stuck with me.

Nekov - Florence & the Machine: No Light, No Light

Another artist that I'm somewhat familiar with and have like some of the popular songs I've heard from them but never heard this one. First of all, she does have a great voice and I like it. Also the music she sings with is perfect for her voice which this song shows. The beat and melody this has, especially in the chorus of this song is just great because of her voice and how layered it is and everything. This is a chorus that'll get stuck in my head which usually end up being the pop songs I tend to like the most. Every other part of the song is good but the star of it is the chorus like I've been saying a million times. Also, weird video but not the weirdest I've ever seen by far.

Sacul - Destiny Potato: Love Song

So poppy metal bands are always a hit or miss with me because I feel like lots of them are just a bit boring for me and I feel like they have more potential than they usually show. Also lots of the ones I've heard just song similar to each other or very generic rock bands with just heavy guitar tones. This song almost right away took those worries away. As the song kept going on and I was getting used to the hook and melody that would pop up in it, the more things kept on popping up until the blast beat section came up and grabbed me by surprise and at first I would've said that wouldn't work that great in a song like this but, damn does it sound awesome in a song like this. Then in the mellow section, I think the star is the bass even though its a really simple bass riff but it just has an awesome tone and cool sounding riff and I usually think that the bass deserves more love in music. But yeah, I just enjoyed this song and will be listening to it many more times of course.

adace - CHVRCHES: The Mother We Share

So after hearing and seeing this band's name almost everywhere last year it seemed like, I never actually checked them out. I should have a long time ago. I tend to like synthpop music fairly easily but for me to really say a like a band or song from this genre, it has to be really good or not to samey from everything else out there.
This song does that mostly with its chorus which is easily memorable from the first listen and a good one at it. The one thing that helps the chorus set apart is the singer's vocals which are great for this type of music. I also like the somewhat melancholic sound the song has while at the same time sounding like a somewhat happy song. Wish it was a bit longer though.

Scorpion - Nightingale: The One

Music like this is usually not my cup of tea but of course I was willing to give this one a chance. Also seeing that Dan Swano was part of this and I've liked quite a few things he has worked on, made me optimistic. The more times I listened to it, I felt like I liked it more and more but still just came to the conclusion that at most for me, its an okay song. There's really nothing that stands out for me for the song besides the keyboards cause they are the loudest thing or I guess more noticeable thing from the song but just how simple and repetitive they were really didn't make the song that much of an enjoyable experience. Everything else from vocals, drums, guitars, and bass I just thought were okay and yeah. Just an okay song that I probably won't listen to after this is done.
Score: 6/10

Lucien - Duran Duran: New Moon on Monday

I think just about everybody here as heard of Duran Duran at least once like I have but in my case, I never sought out to listen to them. Like you said Lucien in your message, this is a song that will make you feel warm inside. The whole song pretty much feels like a chorus since I guess it because of how many times its repeated but that okay cause I like it and the vocals are great in it. Pretty repetitive song but its not one that gets old which I guess speaks testament to how people keep on talking about them and listening to them after so many years since it just sound like timeless beat and vocals. That being said, I also don't usually listen to or check out old pop bands but do see myself checking out more Duran Duran.

sneakyblueberry - Tears for Fears: Head Over Heels

So look at that. Another 80s band after another which wasn't what I was expecting at all. So I prefer the more rockish and synthy sound of this song to the Duran Duran one but I feel like I prefer the Duran Duran vocals after its said and done. But that doesn't mean the vocals in this song are great or catchy cause they are. This has more of a bigger and more epic feel and sound to it which I like. Especially the part before the outro that leads to a cool guitar riff and another guitar solo which I think is pretty cool. I mean this song has many things going on for it and that it just sound like a song that evolves throughout which is another thing I'm always a fan of. So after all is said and done, I think I prefer this song a bit more over the Duran Duran which I just felt it was inevitable for me to make the comparison between the two.

LordCost - Fjokra: Slyrex

So this song I honestly wouldn't consider pop but since you did mostly cause of the first part and all, I let you choose since I mean, you choose the songs you send. I have to say though, this is an interesting song. First off, the singer in this is pretty damn good so in that category the song is solid. This song also has many different moments and moods in it which are pretty interesting and give the song a atmosphere that I dig in some moments. For example, that part before the ending climax of the song really helped it feel much more epic. Even though it feels like lots of ideas mixed and pasted together, they actually work pretty good together. I just find the first half of the song to be a bit okayish for me in not being a bad boring song, but not being the best either. The star of this is the 2nd half like I already mentioned. But honestly, not really a pop song for me but did like it.

Results:
Tyrias: 7+7=14
Lucien: 8+8=16
sneakyblueberry: 7+9=16
adace: 9+8=17
Sacul: 10+9=19
LordCost: 8+7=15
Scorpion: 10+6=16
Nekov: 8+8=16

So for the third round. Send me a song that would feel right at home being played at the end of the world.

Also for anybody worrying about there being long moments between results. Don't worry, each round should be done at least in a week or earlier. I won't let this die down and just stop. I will try as best as I can to post them up quicker.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »
Sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:49 AM »
 :D

Yeah, that chorus is catchy as hell. Will send something later today

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
Great you liked Destiny Potato  ;D - you should check their debut, it's one of the best (and funniest) albums of this year.

Btw, what kind of world's end are we talking about? A zombie apocalypse? The Earth being slowly consumed by the Sun or a black hole? Or something epic like a huge asteroid that destroys everything? 'Cause I can either send you something epic or melancholic/sad.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
Great you liked Destiny Potato  ;D - you should check their debut, it's one of the best (and funniest) albums of this year.

Btw, what kind of world's end are we talking about? A zombie apocalypse? The Earth being slowly consumed by the Sun or a black hole? Or something epic like a huge asteroid that destroys everything? 'Cause I can either send you something epic or melancholic/sad.

I will check it out.

Whatever you think it is because it seems like you got the idea. It can be all of that at once for all we know.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
Opinions on classical/neoclassical music?

Offline Lucien

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »
Opinions on classical/neoclassical music?

It's funny cause I actually didn't send any this round  :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought it was more pop than other songs I considered to be more rock than pop. In order to avoid rock I went to experimental :\ Other kind of songs that came in my mind were Italian pop songs or something related to the disco or rap (which are the most popular genres in my country now), but it was very risky

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
Sent

Offline LordCost

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
Sent a song that fits certainly with the theme  ;)