Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 2593 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ebola
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »
So do you guys think the two nurses will recover from Ebola?  I havent seen a whole lot of news about their recovery, but also haven't seen anything saying they are getting worse.  I am curious to see what happens here.  If they recover, but the one man died, is it because they were spotted quickly and able to receive treatment faster where as Duncan was first told to go home by the hospital leaving him with that extra time that made it too difficult to recover from?
Kind of curious abut this, myself. I suspect their chances are pretty good, but then I'm just some guy with pretty much zero medical knowledge. It was caught early on, so they've been receiving treatment the entire time. They're also no longer exposed to others with Ebola, which might also help their chances (and hinder people dying in tents in Liberia).  If they do survive prepare for the next wave of racial unrest. Shitbag's family is already claiming that the reason he's dead is because he's black and didn't receive the same treatment as others. God forbid the cute Vietnamses girl makes it and the black girl doesn't.

One, she is cute, isn't she?

Two, why does it have to be that "he didn't received treatment in time", implying that the hospital acted deficiently?   The dude flew from LIBERIA!  And as he was flying here to get treatment, he already had to know he was sick.   These women were being monitored from the moment their temp spiked one degree (which if I am not mistaken, is common anyway as part of the normal female cycle).  So this is hardly apples to apples, and hardly any reason to point at the hospital as any participant to this guy's death. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »
So do you guys think the two nurses will recover from Ebola?  I havent seen a whole lot of news about their recovery, but also haven't seen anything saying they are getting worse.  I am curious to see what happens here.  If they recover, but the one man died, is it because they were spotted quickly and able to receive treatment faster where as Duncan was first told to go home by the hospital leaving him with that extra time that made it too difficult to recover from?
Kind of curious abut this, myself. I suspect their chances are pretty good, but then I'm just some guy with pretty much zero medical knowledge. It was caught early on, so they've been receiving treatment the entire time. They're also no longer exposed to others with Ebola, which might also help their chances (and hinder people dying in tents in Liberia).  If they do survive prepare for the next wave of racial unrest. Shitbag's family is already claiming that the reason he's dead is because he's black and didn't receive the same treatment as others. God forbid the cute Vietnamses girl makes it and the black girl doesn't.

One, she is cute, isn't she?

Two, why does it have to be that "he didn't received treatment in time", implying that the hospital acted deficiently?   The dude flew from LIBERIA!  And as he was flying here to get treatment, he already had to know he was sick.   These women were being monitored from the moment their temp spiked one degree (which if I am not mistaken, is common anyway as part of the normal female cycle).  So this is hardly apples to apples, and hardly any reason to point at the hospital as any participant to this guy's death.

Right. But this is America, and if this family can find a lawyer (which they will) who is a big enough scum bag, they'll successful plead some sort of racism and probably reach a settlement.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »

Right. But this is America, and if this family can find a lawyer (which they will) who is a big enough scum bag, they'll successful plead some sort of racism and probably reach a settlement.

Well, they can try.  But I was referring to something more immediate.  Even a poster here laid out the scenario in a way that seemed to cast blame on the hospital ("they sent him home...").   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
I dont believe it has anyhting to do with race, but I can see Duncan's family having a legit lawsuit for the fact that the hospital sent him home the first time through, that was a major fail and could be the reason he died especially if the others are able to survive showing how if its caught early, you can survive with the proper treatment.

I did end up finding an article saying that the cute girl is in good spirits, but really no info as to whether or not she is recovering.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »

Well, they can try.  But I was referring to something more immediate.  Even a poster here laid out the scenario in a way that seemed to cast blame on the hospital ("they sent him home...").
Trying is all that's required. Sadly, Presby is taking a bath right now. Despite it being a good quality hospital it's an absolute ghost town. Even the doctors in the professional buildings are taking a pretty big hit with cancellations. The hospital will settle as a matter of survival. Also, it's not necessarily that he was black that people are balking about, but that he was uninsured. The consensus seems to be that if he had a BCBS card on him they'd have saved his life. While I do maintain that he killed himself by being an idiot, there probably is some validity to the claim that his lack of financial responsibility was a factor in the first discharge.

As for finding a lawyer, they're in a monumental buyer's market right now. They're interviewing scumbags by the hour looking for the one who promises the most for the least.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »

Trying is all that's required. Sadly, Presby is taking a bath right now. Despite it being a good quality hospital it's an absolute ghost town. Even the doctors in the professional buildings are taking a pretty big hit with cancellations. The hospital will settle as a matter of survival. Also, it's not necessarily that he was black that people are balking about, but that he was uninsured. The consensus seems to be that if he had a BCBS card on him they'd have saved his life. While I do maintain that he killed himself by being an idiot, there probably is some validity to the claim that his lack of financial responsibility was a factor in the first discharge.

As for finding a lawyer, they're in a monumental buyer's market right now. They're interviewing scumbags by the hour looking for the one who promises the most for the least.

Honestly, I'm not surprised, but it makes me very sad. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
IT'S IN NYC!!   IT'S IN NYC!!

Holy shit. I heard someone in NYC was diagnosed with ebola on the radio this morning. When I just went to the cafe at work, CNN was on. There was yellow tape, shaky cameras, fire trucks, ambulances, and cop cars everywhere. I thought someone blew up a building or something... Nope. Just footage of guys in hazmat suits. I know fear is what keeps people tuned in, but for fucks sake. They were covering it like a zombie outbreak was occurring.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:55:38 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:01 AM »
Yup, its the biggest news story out here and its getting people crazy, including myself honestly.  I am not scared of getting it as its not so easy to actually get, but I have to travel on Monday through Newark in terminal C where this guy came through and who knows how many more potential people are coming through on a daily basis and that just concerns me in general.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
The doctor measured his temp twice a day and called 911 when symptoms actually showed up, and gave A list of people he came in contact with along with authorities are going through places he went. You'll be fine, can't link it right now but there's an article on the guardian that explains it all

Edit: Here we go, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/24/ebola-patient-doctor-tracked-to-new-york-trains-taxis-and-the-high-line

Also the Nurse in Texas is now virus free.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:06:54 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
:corn
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »

Offline Lucien

• composer
    • my music
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Speaking of ebola jokes, here, have a senseless satire against every viewpoint towards Ebola. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jooG1yVwFDA
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves."

"The quantity of money becomes to an ever greater degree its sole effective quality. Just as it reduces everything to its abstract form, so it reduces itself in the course of its own movement to quantitative being. Excess and intemperance come to be its true norm."