Author Topic: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 3 Results! Send Round 4  (Read 4643 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 1 Results, send Round 2
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 07:09:02 PM »
Glad you liked it. I'll send later tonight. Got a good one for this round.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
Sent

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
Any news?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:01 AM »
Let's go Letters2.0.  There's a waiting list 18 people deep.

Snip snip.  Chop chop.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
I am very sorry. I will have the results by the end of today.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »

:lol :lol

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
Point taken. I'll get round 3 done by Saturday or Sunday, and then I'll be back to one week or less rounds.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
Point taken. I'll get round 3 done by Saturday or Sunday, and then I'll be back to one week or less rounds.

No need to rush it if you've been busy - people understand being busy for a week or two that slows things down.  Just be cognizant that 2+ weeks between rounds can be a downer for everyone - current players, and future organizers.  Keeping people abreast of what's going on never hurts.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

GentlemanofDread: System 7 – Quest (Moon Mix)
Theme (dance): The beat is catchy, but the song is also pretty low-energy. It didn’t make me want to dance all that much. 2/5
Instrument (synth): The synth part provides some nice variation in an otherwise very repetitive song. I'm a fan of the different figures that the synth plays. 3/5
Overall: I got bored really quickly. Which is unfortunate, because the song is almost 7 minutes long. There just isn’t enough going on to really keep my attention. 1/10
Total: 6/20

Dr. DTVT: Ben Folds Five – One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
Theme (dance): The song is very high-energy, but not quite in a dancing way. It still made me dance, though. 4/5
Instrument (piano): My god, that piano playing is tasty. I don’t know what else to say. 5/5
Overall: Again, you sent my favorite song of the round. It's a single-feel song (as opposed to a song with a range of emotions), but that doesn’t detract from the fact that it is awesome. 9/10
Total: 18/20

Tyrias: Caravan Palace – Jolie Coquine
Theme (dance): It definitely has a very dancing feel, but it’s more of a “tap your toes, bop your head” dance than a “jumping around on the street” dance, as you described it. 4/5
Instrument (violin): I really liked the violin line. It establishes the feel right at the beginning, and it is integral to that feel throughout the song. 4/5
Overall: Unfortunately, the vocals get annoying after a while, and the song as a whole doesn’t pack the same impact as its beginning. It’s still a fun little ditty. 5/10
Total: 13/20

Sacul: Infected Mushroom – Becoming Insane (Radio Mix)
Theme (dance): You win for the theme this round. I could not stop moving to the beat, which is both energizing and catchy. 5/5
Instrument (guitar): I don’t know if the guitars are real or synthesized, but either way, I didn’t really like the guitar tone. It sounded too processed. The riff itself was okay, but nothing special. 2/5
Overall: This is a really fun song. It’s a bit weird, and it’s probably not something I would listen to all that often, but I enjoyed it. 6/10
Total:  13/20

Tom Bombadil: David Bowie – Sound and Vision
Theme (dance): While it wasn’t the most dance-inspiring song in this round, it still has a nice groove going on. 3/5
Instrument (bass): And the bass is probably the biggest contributor to said groove. Props to both the bass line itself and the execution. 4/5
Overall: Nothing that truly stood out to me about this song. But at the same time, nothing I particularly disliked. It was just ok. 3/10
Total: 10/20

Evermind: Star One – Human See, Human Do
Theme (dance): This takes a different direction to the theme. It’s not a dance song in any sense, but it made me want to get up and dance because it’s so driving. 4/5
Instrument (keyboard): I really like the use of the keyboards in this song, but it does feel a bit like “typical” prog metal keyboards. 4/5
Overall: This song has a great feel to it. It suffers a bit from some of the clichés that I recognize from Ayreon, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. 8/10
Total: 16/20

senecadawg2: Kayo Dot – The Manifold Curiosity
Theme (dance): I’m afraid this is not what I was looking for with this theme. At no point in the 14 minutes of this song did I do anything resembling dancing. 1/5
Instrument (clarinet): I liked the clarinet solo section, but more because of the increase in energy than because of the clarinet itself. I still thought it was a nice solo. 3/5
Overall: I liked the buildups, but unfortunately, the culminations of the buildups were disappointing to me. In all, the song was a bit too ambient for too long (except for the last minute, surprisingly). 3/10
Total: 7/20

mikemangioy: Destrage – Jades Place
Theme (dance): Perfect mix of heavy and groovy. I was definitely moving around to this song. 5/5
Instrument (drums): The drums are a big contributor to the dance feel, but the drum part itself isn’t that interesting. 3/5
Overall: This is exactly the kind of song that I don’t normally listen to, but should. Meaning that I don’t listen to a lot of heavy but danceable music, but I normally do like that type of music. The vocals were a bit off-putting (voice and lyrics both), but everything else was solid. 7/10
Total: 15/20

Results after Round 2:
Dr. DTVT – 35
Sacul – 29
Tyrias – 28
Evermind – 26
mikemangioy – 26
Tom Bombadil – 23
senecadawg2 – 21
GentlemanofDread – 11

ROUND 3: What’s In a Name?

For this round, send me either an instrumental or a song whose title does not appear in the lyrics. The catch is that the music should be evocative of the title. In other words, theme points will be assigned on how well the song captures the emotion, idea, or other aspect of its title. Round ends Sunday, November 2.

Some additions/clarifications to the rules:

1. The rule about forgoing the theme for one round will only be in effect until Round 6. You will not be able to skip either of the last two themes, so keep that in mind if you plan to take advantage of this rule.

2. If you have not fulfilled any of the 4 required instruments in these first two rounds (this means GentlemanofDread), you must choose one of them for this next round. In addition, you must have at least 2 of the instrument requirements by the end of Round 5 (and all 4 by the end of Round 8, but that goes without saying). Of the eight of you, senecadawg2 is the only one to have already fulfilled two instrument requirements. Unfortunately, there’s no bonus for that.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 2 Results, time for Round 3
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 03:36:57 AM »
That was definitely an improvement from Round 1 results for me, nice. I'll send Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
Sent.  Wonder if I can go 3 for 3?

I don't think I've listened to the album I sent from in ten years.  I'm going to change that today - I forgot how awesome it was.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
Good call Doc on a great song from a great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
Sent.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2014, 03:29:44 AM »
Sent, went with simple and evocative tune this time.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »
Still waiting on mikemangioy to send a song. I'd like you to get it to me by noon tomorrow.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
Sorry man, I almost forgot about this  :-\
Sending my tune right away!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »
Results some time tomorrow morning. This was the best round yet.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »
ROUND 3 RESULTS

GentlemanofDread: Hiromi’s Sonicbloom – Time Difference
Theme (name): Well, there are definitely a lot of changing times in this piece. However, I didn’t feel so much of a time “difference”. To me, that phrase indicates several voices being displaced in time, and this song was very much in sync. Not a fault of the song, but not the best for the theme. 2/5
Instrument (piano): I can’t argue with that. I love how even though she’s playing this ridiculous music, she keeps that big smile on her face. 5/5
Overall: This is a significant improvement from your first two rounds. It’s dynamic, it’s impressive, and above all, it’s fun. Paradoxically, I’m a big of songs with jazz influence, but not as big a fan of pure jazz. I’m not sure where to place this, other than saying I really enjoyed it. 9/10

Dr. DTVT: Bozzio Levin Stevens – Chaos/Control
Theme (name): There were moments of both chaos and control, but the constant drum groove kept it mostly on the control side. Still, the changing feels throughout gave a feel of chaos that was brought into control as the feel went on. 3/5
Instrument (drums): The drums are technically impressive, but not the most memorable or distinctive drum part. I did really like the cymbal solo section. 3/5
Overall: The song as a whole is okay, but I didn’t think it was anything special (sorry, the streak has been broken). It goes on for a while, never really arriving anywhere, but just sort of being there. 5/10
Total: 11/20

senecadawg2: Agalloch – Into the Painted Grey
Theme (name): I completely see where the title is coming from. The song is definitely a shade of gray, in that it’s halfway between being very dark and very beautiful. The idea of painting just adds to that blurriness, a blurriness that is furthered by the “wall of sound” which goes throughout the song. 5/5
Instrument (drums): The problem with the drums here is that they’re mainly providing the wall of sound, and they aren’t really standing out in any way. As I said, the drums are effective at what they’re doing, but as a performance, it’s nothing all that interesting. 3/5
Overall: The song is a lot to take in, but once I did take it in, I was really moved by it. It really does convey the emotion that it’s title suggests. Unfortunately, it was a bit dense for my tastes. 6/10
Total: 14/20

Tyrias: Gojira – Explosia
Theme (name): The song is more of a constant intensity than having bursts or explosions, but it is still an explosively high intensity. 3/5
Instrument (drums): The drums in this song really complement the other instruments well, as well as being interesting in their own right. That one main rhythm is also quite cool. 5/5
Overall: I really liked this song. It is very heavy, but at the same is understandable and accessible. I also liked the emotion shift halfway through the song. 8/10

Sacul: 5inapsi5 – Summer’s End
Theme (name): The song has a longing feel, which I guess is the memories of the summer that is ending, and the wish that it wouldn’t end. Some of the later parts ruin that feel, but only briefly. 4/5
Instrument (piano): The piano beginning was my favorite part of the song. Part of that came from the sound effects, but the piano was definitely pretty. 4/5
Overall: Upon first listen, I was not expecting the more prog and metal sections. So much of this song is so beautiful, but those parts are…not as beautiful. This is a great example of a song that would be better if it stripped away the prog. It’s still quite an emotional and evocative song. 7/10
Total: 15/20

Tom Bombadil: Beyond the Bridge – Triumph of Irreality
Theme (name): I understand the triumph, but without any other context, I don’t get where irreality comes in. I say without context because I imagine this fits well into the context of an album, considering its abrupt ending. 3/5
Instrument (guitar): I kept thinking that I would have given a perfect instrument score to the keyboards. The guitar is great, but the keyboard is what really stood out to me. 4/5
Overall: Congratulations. You have received the first perfect overall score of my roulette. This song is really powerful and really fun all at the same time. It took me on a journey the whole way through, and because of that I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to whatever comes after the abrupt ending. 10/10
Total: 17/20

Evermind: David Gilmour – Red Sky at Night
Theme (name): I tried to ignore the album cover, which is obviously a blue sky, but the more I thought about the song, the more it seemed like a dark blue, a cool color rather than a warm color. It’s still very evocative of a night sky. 4/5
Instrument (saxophone): Like a wolf howling at the moon. Sorry, this theme has got me thinking metaphorically about everything. I love the emotion in the saxophone part. It really is the life of an otherwise dormant piece. 5/5
Overall: Despite the fact that Gilmour basically rewrote the intro to Shine On You Crazy Diamond, this is a great piece. It is poignant and would work great as an intro to something bigger…all kidding aside, it is also a nice emotion all by itself. 8/10
Total: 17/20

mikemangioy: Devin Townsend – Truth
Theme (name): I could think of a way that this song evoked truth, but anything I could really think of would be a stretch. 1/5
Instrument (vocals): As I’ve said, I don’t normally like Devin Townsend, but I do think he’s a great vocalist. The vocals in this song don’t have any words (as far as I can tell), but they’re still important and complement the rest of the song very nicely. 4/5
Overall: My biggest complaints with Devin Townsend are (1) the oversaturation of sound that is his production, and (2) too much of the same thing. I didn’t mind the first one in this song so much, because everything was still relatively clear to hear, but the second one got me. Maybe it’s because of the production, but even when the song moves on to a new idea, it still feels like the same thing throughout almost the whole song. But I still liked what I heard.  5/10
Total: 10/20

Results after Round 3:
Dr. DTVT – 46
Sacul – 44
Tyrias – 44
Evermind – 43
Tom Bombadil – 40
mikemangioy – 36
senecadawg2 – 35
GentlemanofDread – 27

ROUND 4: Striking a Chord

This round is all about harmony. Give me songs with interesting choices of chords. It could be a repeating chord progression, but it definitely does not have to be, and it might even be better if it isn’t, instead opting to change things up harmonically. Get songs to me by the end of Friday.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 3 Results! Send Round 4
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »
Well, you really can't go wrong with David Gilmour, can you? Man's a genius without a slightest doubt. I mean, I always thought he played guitar, but the melody and emotion he managed to pull out from sax on this piece are out of this world, really. The news he's going to release another solo album next year are warming my heart. And, funny thing, I considered sending Triumph of Irreality too. You should really check that Beyond The Bridge album, it's full or brilliance.

All in all, I think I've found the theme I will skip! Or maybe not. Need time to think about it, I'll send Wednesday.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
Ugh, I think I'mma skip this one.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
Glad you liked it. And its even better in the context of the album (which is a concept album, hence the abrupt ending). Definitely recommend checking out the whole album, its one of my favorites of all time.

Probably send something tomorrow. Gotta think about this one.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
I edited my semi-banned list to include the albums I already know from those bands. Anything else is possible fair game.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »
Just food for thought - not all of us are practicing musicians, and asking people to submit for themes that require a musicians skills to pick up on like this theme or the time signature one done in another roulette might be asking too much from them.  Yes, we can skip a theme, but what happens if we skip this one and then get really stuck on another one?

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
Just food for thought - not all of us are practicing musicians, and asking people to submit for themes that require a musicians skills to pick up on like this theme or the time signature one done in another roulette might be asking too much from them.  Yes, we can skip a theme, but what happens if we skip this one and then get really stuck on another one?

I see what you mean. It all depends on how far you're asking. With the time signature example, not everyone can identify a time signature or even tell if something is in an abnormal time signature. But people can recognize extremes, when the time is changing often enough to be unexpected, maybe even jarring. Likewise, people may not be able to identify chords, but they could probably recognize when the harmony in a song is sufficiently poignant or complex. I'm going less for what chords are being played from a musician's perspective, and more for what effect the harmony has on the feeling of the song. Maybe my wording in describing the theme wasn't the best. I can also say that this is my only theme that would cause an issue like this.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:07 AM »
Sent.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:50 AM »
Have you received all songs?

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »
I've been going through some unexpectedly stressful times, and I think it might be best to suspend this roulette. I feel bad letting you guys down like that, but at the same time, I have been having difficulty with getting rounds finished, and I don't want to drag on the roulette that much, in courtesy both to you guys and the people on the waiting list. Sorry about all that.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2014, 02:51:54 AM »
Aw. Here's hoping all will get better on your side.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 05:23:23 AM »
I've been going through some unexpectedly stressful times, and I think it might be best to suspend this roulette. I feel bad letting you guys down like that, but at the same time, I have been having difficulty with getting rounds finished, and I don't want to drag on the roulette that much, in courtesy both to you guys and the people on the waiting list. Sorry about all that.

Good on ya kid for being putting your priorities in the right place, and on being honest with the group.  I'll put you in the hiatus status.  When you're ready, simply say so, and you can slot yourself right back to the front of the line.

Hope life evens out for you in due time.