Author Topic: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 3 Results! Send Round 4  (Read 4644 times)

Offline Zyzzyva17

Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 3 Results! Send Round 4
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
Hello, and welcome to my roulette. The rules are as follows (read them well):

7-10 participants, 8 rounds, no elimination

Each round will last about a week, and will have a theme, which will not be revealed until the start of the round. Try to get your song to me in the first few days of the round. (I’d prefer Youtube links if possible)

I would prefer songs under 15 minutes, but I will certainly allow exceptions, within reason.

IMPORTANT: For every song you submit, tell me what instrument (including vocals) you like best in the song, either for composition, performance, or both. I will listen especially for that instrument, but will also listen to the song holistically.

Scoring will be out of 20 points: 5 for theme, 5 for the listed instrument, 10 for overall.

More about the instrument rule: you are required, at some point in the roulette, to include the following instruments as your choice:
-Drums or percussion
-Piano (NOT keyboard)
-Vocals (either lead vocals or harmonies; specify which)
-Any instrument not typically found in a rock band

You may repeat an instrument as many times as you want as long as the requirements are met.

For one round, and one round only, you may elect to ignore the theme and have the instrument count as 10 points. You are not required to take this option.

And now, the moment you’ve been waiting for:

BANNED LIST

Andromeda
Ayreon
Between the Buried and Me
Billy Joel
Boston
Chicago
Dream Theater
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Flying Colors
Haken
Jordan Rudess (solo)
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Liquid Tension Experiment
Muse
Opeth
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Rush
Spock’s Beard
Steven Wilson (solo)
Symphony X
Tool
Transatlantic
Yes

Bands I have listened to a bit and didn’t love (you can technically submit these, but they’re more a guideline for what I haven’t particularly liked):

Devin Townsend Project (all of DTP, nothing beforehand)
Genesis (The Lamb, Foxtrot)
Radiohead (OK Computer, In Rainbows)

First round will start as soon as I have enough participants.

Current scores (will update as necessary):
Dr. DTVT – 46
Sacul – 44
Tyrias – 44
Evermind – 43
Tom Bombadil – 40
mikemangioy – 36
senecadawg2 – 35
GentlemanofDread – 27
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:22:45 PM by Zyzzyva17 »
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Tyrias

Re: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
So, who's up now? Seneca or you?  :huh:
Anyway, if it turns out it's your turn, I'd like to play. In contrast to senecas roulette, I actually have lots of music to send for this one :lol.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
Yaay I love roulettes. Can I participate?
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
So, who's up now? Seneca or you?  :huh:
Anyway, if it turns out it's your turn, I'd like to play. In contrast to senecas roulette, I actually have lots of music to send for this one :lol.

Well I only started mine because the people ahead of me on the list were dragging their feet. But now that he's started his I guess I'll step back. Especially since one responded to mine  :lol

And I'm not exactly sure why, since I didn't have trouble getting 10ish people for my first one.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
Probably because the average roulette playing age is pretty young, so pre-90s stuff is a pretty significant handicap for most of us.

Though my not playing has more to do with an overabundance of real-world obligations (much to my dismay :P).

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »
I am so in.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm in, although you not liking Genesis is a little scary

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
I'm game.  Looks like I can break out a lot of stuff, and I got an awesome piano song if you don't mind harsh vocals...

If you want youtube videos, you can't grade on sound quality.  A lot of the songs I have sent in the past don't come from official videos and sound like crap compared to the real deal.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »
Seeing as I don't really like Devin Townsend too, I feel I should participate in this one.

What are you opinion on the live records? Can we send them, or only studio versions will do?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
@DTVT: Harsh vocals are fine, but I would stay away from full-on death metal. Think early BTBAM vs. late BTBAM as to where I draw the line. As for sound quality, I won't take production into account, but I may consider sonic choices (eg. snare drum sound), that should be evident even in lower quality. And even then I won't take it into account unless it's particularly bothersome.

@Evermind: I'll accept official live releases, but nothing unofficial. Still, err on the side of studio if you can.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
I want to play on this :coolio .

Offline Zyzzyva17

Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 1 Started
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
Okay, so I have enough people to start, but I will still accept up to 3 more if they express interest and get me a song within this round. So without further ado...

ROUND 1: First Impressions

The 5 theme points for this round will be based entirely on my first listen. The 10 overall points will take subsequent listens into account. So choose a song that leaves a good first impression.

Round ends October 19th.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »
Sent :hat .

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Sent

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
Sent

You forgot to specify an instrument. Please let me know.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
Sent.  Also, get your asses in here jingle and lonestar.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »
Sent.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
Sent

You forgot to specify an instrument. Please let me know.

I don't get it, what do I have to do?

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
IMPORTANT: For every song you submit, tell me what instrument (including vocals) you like best in the song, either for composition, performance, or both. I will listen especially for that instrument, but will also listen to the song holistically.

It counts for 5 of 20 total points. Look back at the rules for more specifications on this aspect of the roulette.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »
Looks like there's still time for me to get in on this, am I right?

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

It counts for 5 of 20 total points. Look back at the rules for more specifications on this aspect of the roulette.

Ok, thanks, I'll send you a PM right away.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
Looks like there's still time for me to get in on this, am I right?

Certainly!

Offline Zyzzyva17

Re: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread - v. Round 1 Started
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »
So, Tyrias and Tom Bombadil are the only ones left to submit. There's no rush, just wanted to let you guys know.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
Somehow I completely missed the Round 1 post. Anyway I've sent now.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't home yesterday (at least not except to sleep :lol), but I'm gonna send in a few minutes.

Also, since your list is mostly prog, I've decided not to send anything I consider prog. We'll see how that goes :lol.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
Ok, since I have everyone, I'll probably have the results ready earlier than I initially said. I'm guessing Friday, but don't hold me to that. In general, the rounds may be less than a week, but never more.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
Sent.  Also, get your asses in here jingle and lonestar.

I'm following, but being in two already, my travel schedule, and my own upcoming soon, I'll pass on this one.  Gotta take a break once and a while.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 01:08:32 PM »
Hey Zyzzyva, I'm going to be without internet until Sunday evening, so if you do get the results posted as early as Friday there might be a slight delay on my end. Sorry about that.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
Hey Zyzzyva, I'm going to be without internet until Sunday evening, so if you do get the results posted as early as Friday there might be a slight delay on my end. Sorry about that.

Ok, that's fine. You'll still be well in the acceptable time range for song submission. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
ROUND 1 RESULTS

Before we start, I want to say that I am intentionally being a harsh critic to provide more variation in the scoring. With one exception, I liked everything I received.

Sacul: David Maxim Micic – Where Is Now?
Theme (first impression): Liked the opening, and especially liked the vocal and guitar solos. My one gripe upon first listen is that it stayed in the same feel for a good bit of the song. 4/5
Instrument (lead vocals): A great performance from both vocalists, but on the other hand, the vocals take mostly a supporting role in this song (except for the scat solo, which is amazing). 4/5
Overall: There are some spectacular moments in the song, which make the rest of the song seem bland in comparison. But then I have to look at the song as a whole, and as a whole, this is some good stuff. 8/10
Total: 16/20

mikemangioy: Voyager – Hyperventilating
Theme (first impression): I admit I liked the main riff. Too bad the verse and chorus didn’t do much for me. 2/5
Instrument (guitar): The song does in a way revolve around the guitar, and it plays its role well. At the same time, there isn’t anything "special" about the guitar part. 3/5
Overall: I don’t know anything about the band, but it felt like “the single” to me, as in I imagine it as a more mainstream song on an album that is normally heavier and/or more complex. But that’s just what it felt like; I could be completely wrong. And it’s still a solid song. 6/10
Total: 11/20

Dr. DTVT: Pyramid Theorem – Another Day Slips By
Theme (first impression): It takes a while to really get going, but when it does, man, that’s something. It feels like it’ll grow on me after a few listens, which unfortunately is not the best for this theme. On the first listen, I didn’t get a sense of the scope of the song until the very end. 3/5
Instrument (guitar): Yeah, that solo was pretty great. And the guitar in the rest of the song is really a driving force, displaying both beauty and power. 5/5
Overall: And I was right about this song growing on me. Beautiful and powerful are really the right words to describe it. The part before the guitar solo is definitely the weakest link of the song, sacrificing the emotion of the rest of the song for the purposes of adding a technically difficult section. Everything else is superb. 9/10
Total: 17/20

Evermind: Evergrey – King of Errors
Theme (first impression): I’ll ignore the suspicious resemblance to several of the songs on Operation: Mindcrime. I liked the song, but it didn’t wow me. It’s a good start to an album, and it leaves me wanting more, but not quite in the good way. 3/5
Instrument (lead vocals): I like his voice, but I don’t consider it a particularly impressive performance. The vocal lines are fairly mundane, and he doesn’t do much special with them. 2/5
Overall: It’s epic, I’ll give it that. But it doesn’t have any real high points. I’d be interested to see what the rest of the album is like, because I think they could definitely go a step up from this song. 5/10
Total: 10/20

senecadawg2: Anathema – One Last Goodbye
Theme (first impression): I got chills at some point. I could really feel the emotion. The song sets the mood early on, but after that, it doesn’t go anywhere. This makes thematic sense, but it’s not the best for the first impression theme. 3/5
Instrument (lead vocals): Not my favorite voice, but a great delivery. I love the way the vocal line gets progressively more intense. 4/5
Overall: I wasn’t sure if this song was going to grow on me or get old fast, but luckily it was the former. Still not something I could listen to over and over, but great for when the mood is right. 7/10
Total: 14/20

GentlemanofDread: Coheed and Cambria – The Afterman
Theme (first impression): This didn’t do much for me. Felt too subdued, not really anything to grasp onto. 1/5
Instrument (acoustic guitar): First of all, I know what you’re referring to, and it sounds more like clean electric guitar than acoustic. I’m probably wrong, though. Anyway, it’s a nice little riff-like thing, but it’s literally the only thing that happens in that instrument part. 2/5
Overall: Still not doing much for me. Not a fan of the vocals, and it feels like it’s going to build to a nice big chorus, but then it doesn’t. The production is tight, but good production does not always a good song make. 2/10
Total: 5/20

Tom Bombadil: Wings Denied – Generation Y
Theme (first impression): I was a bit nervous after the heavy intro, but once it got into the groove, I really liked it. Not my favorite song of the round, but it left the best first impression. 5/5
Instrument (lead vocals): I really like both the vocal line and its delivery. I especially like the mini-screams at the beginnings of phrases. On the other hand, I wouldn’t call the vocals a standout performance in the context of the song. They’re good, but the instruments that got top score in this round felt more like a centerpiece of the song, in one way or another. 4/5
Overall: I really liked what I heard on first listen, but it didn’t continue to grow on me on later listens. It didn’t get any worse in my mind. It’s just that it is a bit one-dimensional as a song, so there wasn’t much more to appreciate. 6/10
Total: 15/20

Tyrias: The Tallest Man on Earth – Where Do My Bluebird Fly (Live on KEXP)
Theme (first impression): Love the guitar. Didn’t like the voice, at least not on first listen. It’s a nice song in every other respect. 3/5
Instrument (acoustic guitar): That is some sweet guitar playing. It makes the song sound layered even though at its heart it’s just basic chords. I don’t know if the original version is also just guitar, but the guitar playing manages to capture the feeling of several instruments. 5/5
Overall: Well, this was the oddball of the round (as you intended). I got used to the vocals, though I’m still not the biggest fan. The songwriting and guitar more than make up for it, though. 7/10
Total: 15/20

Results after Round 1:
Dr. DTVT – 17
Sacul – 16
Tom Bombadil – 15
Tyrias – 15
senecadawg2 – 14
mikemangioy – 11
Evermind – 10
GentlemanofDread – 5

ROUND 2: Let’s Dance

For this round, send me a song that makes me want to dance. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a song I can dance to, but it should get me energized and up on my feet. (Note that I don’t actually dance, but it was the best way to convey what I wanted from this round.)

One more note: Please make the title of your PM “Round 2 – username” for ease of organization (obviously, replace the 2 with the round number in future rounds).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zyzzyva17’s Roulette Thread v. Round 1 Results, send Round 2
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Alright, now your tastes are becoming clearer to me. I dunno about that instrument thing though, because somethimes the song is a fine blend of everything, like this one, and I don't know what to put in as an instrument. Well, 10/20 ain't that bad. At least I'm not the last.

The next theme is kinda difficult for me. I'll see what I can do.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »
I would have given you more than 10 for Evergrey, Evermind.

And I would have trashed Coheed and Cambria too.  I like you letters 2.0

Also, sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
I would have given you more than 10 for Evergrey, Evermind.

I bet you wrote this only to do this "Evergrey, Evermind" sequence.

Oh well, nevermind.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
Great that you liked it!

Also, I knew what to send the second I saw the Theme for round 2. The song I'm sending is so ridiculously danceable, I can't listen to it while I'm on the street because I start jumping around and people look at me like I'm totally crazy :lol.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »