Author Topic: Seneca's Roulette v2 (And the Winner Is...)  (Read 28864 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 4)
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »
Trust me.  I've been pushing the Disney agenda for a while.  If we do, you know we'll hook up. :eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2015, 04:58:31 AM »
Trust me.  I've been pushing the Disney agenda for a while.  If we do, you know we'll hook up. :eyebrows:
Four more weeks!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2015, 05:01:57 AM »
Great time with your kids and their age right now.  To be honest, I always loved going no matter what the age.  I've been to Disney World 6 times and Disney Land once.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »
Disney World is awesome. Not gonna tell you how many times we've been.

Looking at finally hitting Disneyland this summer. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »
That Aerosmith roller coaster is the best ride ever!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2015, 10:38:12 AM »
I enjoyed that ride a lot! The long line... Not so much
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
I'd like to post the results now. I do have to run to work in a few minutes though, so I don't have time to share a lot of my thoughts. Here's the abridged version:

TAC Fields of the Nephelim - Endemoniada
GREAT submission! You've consistently sent one of the top 2 or 3 songs, in any given round, but this time you take the crown unchallenged. It's a little odd and it does take a little while to get going- as you mentioned- but it all works so well regardless. A+ song here, keep it up...  9

LieLowTheWantedMan Van der Graaf Generator - The Sleepwalkers
The title of this song is so very appropriate :lol And you've done it this time- I'm hooked and I want more. Easily your best submission of the roulette thus far. It is a bit long, but It doesn't bore me in the slightest. I can understand why this is one of your favorite vocalists and, yes, he does sound a bit (or very) insane.  8.5

Dr. DTVT Fates Warning - Exodus
Arch is an odd duck. I can totally understand why many people might not like his vocals. In fact, wasn't he fired or somehow pushed out of the band? Or was that unrelated to his vocals? Anyways, that's not really the point. I enjoyed this song a lot. Not the longest, but definitely the most epic song of the round (and perhaps the whole roulette). Unusual vocals and all, I found no cracks in this, very strong, song.  :tup 8.5

kingshmegland Asia - Wildest Dreams
I get that these are some heavy hitters in the world of progressive rock, but I don't really hear it here. Much more straightforward AOR-sounding rock. But don't let that get you down, because that is not a negative at all. In fact, I really enjoy it. Even reminds me a little bit of Journey, which I know a lot of folks will gag at, but once again- not a bad thing. Journey is one of my favorite bands and this is one of my favorite songs of the round. I'll be checking out the rest of the album as soon as I get out of the heat of this moment.  8

jingle.boy Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression Part 2
Without a doubt one of the largest omissions from my pre-90s music library, as I've known for a while. Not sure why I never took the time to check them out, but I will now. As you said- a very keyboard driven song. And the keyboards really deliver the goods, here. Guitarist ain't no slouch either. And the drumming! Very nice... 8

Scorpion and Nekov Ozric Tentacles and Frank Zappa - The Domes of G’ba and Night School respectively
I'm only using one writeup here because I'm likely to say many of the same things about these songs anyways. Both instrumentals, which are typically hit or miss with me (more often miss, actually). Here, both are quite strong and deserve future exploration on my part. The Tentacles song is much more psychedelic, but they're both unique in their own way. The propulsive rhythms in the Zappa song, along with the keys, are really great. Love that cover artwork, btw, Scorp. 7.5

Elite Bruce Springsteen - New York City Serenade
I decided to accept this song, even though Springsteen is on my banned list, because I'd never heard the song and it sounded quite a bit different than the more stripped back Nebraska (my most listened-to album from him). Anyways, this song... I was really wowed with the first few minutes. The piano intro, then the guitar, then the soulful vocals... I was eating it up without question. As the song wore on though, it began to lose some of that appeal. In fact, it kind of peaked for me about 5-6 minutes in. At which point I began to wonder if the 10 minute track length was necessary or excessive.  7

jjrock88 Metal Church - Badlands
I've got nothing bad to say about this song. It's a pretty straight forward heavy metal song, I suppose with some thrash elements? Maybe some NWoBHM sprinkled in? The vocals are good enough, but I wouldn't call them extraordinary. That's kind of a trend with this song, to be honest. I do legitimately enjoy it, but I'd be lying if I said it grabbed my in any way. 7

lonestar Demon - Touching the Ice
From Thrash/NWoBHM (I'm imagining something like Metal Church ^^) to this? That's quite the shift! I definitely hear the Pink Floyd influence there. It has that atmospheric and dreamy quality to it that I tend to enjoy. Unfortunately it's also the most forgettable song of the round for me, even after several tries.  :sadpanda: 6.5

Standings:
TAC  33.5
Elite  33
Scorpion  31.5
kingshmegland  31
jingle.boy  31
Dr. DTVT  30.5
Nekov  30
LieLowTheWantedMan  29.5
lonestar  29
jjrock88  29

So we're at the half-way point now. Elite has lost his early lead and I have it on good authority that he may be running out of choices  :lol... TAC, with consistency as his mantra, has taken the lead. LieLow is no longer in last place. Speaking of which, only a measly four and a half points separates first from last. A couple really good rounds in a row and anyone can win this. Keep 'em coming!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Half-time)
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
I thought you might like that. A Pink Floyd/Opeth/Porcupine Tree mashup from the 80's.
It's really a great album. Their next album,Elizium, is even more Floydish.

I really have no idea what to send. Seneca doesn't seem to be very impressed with 80's Rock/NWOBHM.

Thought about sending a Metal Church and old FW too. Now I don't know what to do.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
I really have no idea what to send. Seneca doesn't seem to be very impressed with 80's Rock/NWOBHM.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal with that is... jjrock's submissions, in particular, always seem to evoke the same response from me. I've enjoyed all of those songs, I really have. And it hurts to consistently rate it in the bottom half, because of that. But they also never really blow me away. Apart from Saxon, I haven't felt too compelled to check out much of the rest.  :-\

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal with that is... jjrock's submissions, in particular, always seem to evoke the same response from me. I've enjoyed all of those songs, I really have. And it hurts to consistently rate it in the bottom half, because of that. But they also never really blow me away. Apart from Saxon, I haven't felt too compelled to check out much of the rest.  :-\

Yeah unfortunately it will have to continue lol.

There is a zero percent chance that I will send anything other then 80s Rock/NWOBHM lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »
By all means, keep them coming! I'm sure something more will stick.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
And this is where Istart rrunning out of bands. Gonna have to dig deep man.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
:D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
Ok, guess i didn't have to dig that deep. Sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
Glad you like Asia.  The self titled album is awesome and yes, I did not send "Heat Of The Moment". :lol

Alright, I just sent a song from a band no one will send besides myself.  I'd bet on that.  Enjoy!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
sent!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Sent, let's see if I can get a high score this round...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »
I am so stuck!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »
I am so wasted!

That's my skull!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2015, 04:10:17 AM »
Will send after work.

...and sent!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:32:34 AM by TAC »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
Way to go Hamilton!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2015, 06:28:11 AM »
I'm torn between a couple of early 80's songs, but I have no confidence in either for the next round. Really digging for material here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:53:56 AM by TAC »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »
Really digging for material here.

Me too  :smiley:

I've received all the submissions now and will listen for the next couple days... Results will be posted no later than Saturday.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2015, 11:21:04 AM »
As promised, results. I realize that this is the longest I've taken to post them so far, but I also realize that its still in line with my goal of max-1 week per round. Not to toot my own horn, but I feel pretty good about that  :smiley:  Anyways, plenty of good stuff this round, along with a couple misses.

Nekov  Casiopea - Galactic Funk
The Japanese really know how to have a good time on stage! Whether you know it or not, you took quite a risk with this submission. I've never listened to much on the funk side of things and that's because I don't typically like that style of music. In this case, another instrumental from you (3rd one in 5 rounds). As I've said with each one of those, I'm not usually crazy about instrumentals. This follows that trend, unfortunately. It does a few things that I enjoy. And it's pretty fun, particularly live. The solos are all pleasant enough. Still, the way they are arranged feels kind of formulaic and predictable.  6

kingshmegland  The Fixx - Deeper and Deeper
Again, not a huge fan of this, although I enjoyed it a little more than Nekov's. It may have been pushing the envelope at its time, in terms of technology, but listening to it now it sounds a bit dated in my ears. And yes- it is quirky. But not in a way that I really enjoy. Some of the instrumental bits sound like they could have been taken straight out of an old arcade game. Not a terrible thing, but I don't really enjoy it that much... The chorus is probably my favorite part of the song, though repetitive. I might check out another one of their hits, since I imagine this could be very hit-or-miss, but you've missed on this one.  6.5

Scorpion  Praying Mantis - Thirty Pieces of Silver
Right away, this sounds like another jjrock song. But it sounds like one of the better jjrock songs that have been submitted. Oh wait, this is someone else. Another step up from the lowest two songs, for a number of reasons. I'm more comfortable with this than the funk-leaning instrumental from Nekov and it's a lot more focused than The Fixx. There's nothing here that I would trim at just under 4 minutes. The vocalist is not awe-inspiring, but he doesn't really need to be. The guitar solo is pleasant, as well. Once again, not awe-inspiring. Just solid, from start to finish.  7

jingle.boy  Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
I think the shortest song I've received in the entire roulette. And one that I've heard of before, at that. It's a psychedelic one too, and also not exactly what I would have expected from you given what I know about your music tastes. At the end of the day though, sending a short song is usually not going to be the best way to make up ground. Because the average ceiling for short songs tends to be pretty low imo, and to break through that ceiling I'm going to need something really extraordinary. Of course, short songs also tend to not score as low as a less-appealing long song. Anyways, I'm rambling.  7.5

LieLowTheWantedMan  Gang of Four - Damaged Goods
As you mentioned, this is a really stripped back song. The raw texture of it reminds me a bit of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, but this particular song doesn't feel dark enough to be a song on that album. I noticed it's also labeled as 'Dance-punk', which seems fitting. My experimentation with post-punk has never been all that thorough, but I seem to find almost all of it fitting for dance. Especially The Cure's Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. Obviously this is a lot more stark and even empty when compared to that synth-heavy album, but I couldn't help but make the comparison when I saw the sub-genre label. All of this is just to say that this song sounds familiar and reminds me of a lot of music that I enjoy quite a bit. I'll be checking out more, brotha. 8

jjrock88  W.A.S.P. - Wild Child
I think this is probably my favorite song that you've sent since Saxon in the first round. I've listened to Denim and Leather a few times since then, btw, and am quite thankful for the submission. As for this song... First of all- I think that this is a pretty stupid music video. But that's all part of the fun. I enjoy the singer quite a bit. The chorus is perfectly catchy and there's a palpable sense of energy that I can't escape. Not much else to say... Just a really solid song. 8

Elite  Television - Marquee Moon
Another long one from you. It also happens to be another really good one. The vocalist has a sort of whiny/wailing quality to his voice that I really like. The repetitive little guitar lick might be a touch annoying at times, but that's a very minor complaint. You know the one I'm talking about, I expect. I also really enjoy the instrumental section that starts to take off around the 5 minute mark. The guitars are engaging but never overdone. The rhythm section does a really good job of keeping it all moving along, as well. And when the vocals finally reenter, with the song coming to a close, I feel completely satisfied. Not as strong as your submissions from the first two rounds, but better than the last couple. 8

TAC  Shooting Star - Last Chance
Another really good one from you. More melodic, I guess AOR. But still a bit unique, particularly with the strings. They add a really nice touch to an otherwise strong song. I think the vocalist is kind of pedestrian, to be honest, just in the sense that he doesn't really stand out in the song. But that's more of a testament to the strong keyboard work, the economical guitar, and the rhythm section also being really strong. Also, quite the motivational tune. You've sold me on another band, thank you! 8

lonestar  Pat Benatar - Hell is For Children
I've heard a few of her hits before, but this is a new one. What always struck me in those few select songs was the power of Benatar's voice. I get that here as well. Also enjoy the distinct dynamic shift between verses and the uber-catchy chorus. Then, of course, the larger shift at the 3 minute mark. All building up to a really effective climax with the guitar solo. Speaking of climax- she really is beautiful. I'll be exploring her more thoroughly when we wrap this roulette up. Thanks! 8.5

Dr. DTVT  Queensryche - Take Hold of the Flame
Musically, I'm not sure I like this as much as most of the songs on Empire or O:M, but it's still a good one. So what elevates it above the other 9 songs from this round? Geoff Tate...  :hefdaddy  Yes, I understand that he's known to be an asshat, particularly in recent times, but I don't hold that against him. He really is a breathtaking vocalist. I'll pick up this album as soon as I get a chance.  8.5

Standings:
TAC  41.5
Elite  41
Dr. DTVT  39
Scorpion  38.5
jingle.boy  38.5
LieLowTheWantedMan  37.5
kingshmegland  37.5
lonestar  37.5
jjrock88  37
Nekov  36

Nekov and kingshmegland take the biggest drops, DTVT jumps up a little and the middle remains very close.

Something to consider in these final rounds... A little clue that might get you the inside track. I've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan, Neil Young and early Tim Buckley recently. Obviously, if you don't have a lot of folk singer-songwriters at your disposal that's fine, but it certainly wouldn't hurt...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 6)
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
sent

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
Awesome choice of tune Lonestar!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »
Totally. Little known fact, that's the only song she has played at every single live performance ever.

And yes, she is soooooooooooooooo hot.

And sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »
Rat Farts.

Alright, I've got something up your sleeve then.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
Up my sleeve? That should be interesting

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
Take Hold Of The Flame is great, but it's probably like my 5th favorite song on Warning. It is such a strong album.

Trying to find something folksy. This is going to be tough.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2015, 06:05:31 PM »
Take Hold is an awesome tune, what a performance by Geoff!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »

whoa, whoa, whoa!  Get a room, you two.  You can't be doing that out in public.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2015, 04:28:26 AM »

whoa, whoa, whoa!  Get a room, you two.  You can't be doing that out in public.

Never.  I'm all for public flogging.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:05 AM »
And Sent!