Author Topic: Seneca's Roulette v2 (And the Winner Is...)  (Read 28857 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 1)
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
Sent!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
Sent yo...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
I don't really know Seneca and his band lists are kind of untelling. Can't wait to see the pre 90's submissions by everyone, but I really have no idea where to go with mine.
Should be interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
I don't really know Seneca and his band lists are kind of untelling. Can't wait to see the pre 90's submissions by everyone, but I really have no idea where to go with mine.
Should be interesting.

I think some of my pics will be something that others may surprised about.  I want to give Seneca other bands that some may not listen to here at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
Hopefully not the Flock of Seagulls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2015, 06:39:22 PM »
I don't mind a few songs from them but never owned their albums.  I do have plenty others that will make you cringe. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2015, 06:42:17 PM »
A lot of their first album would translate very easily to a classic rock format. Wait, did I say that?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
A lot of their first album would translate very easily to a classic rock format. Wait, did I say that?? :lol

Lol. Just delete that comment and we will pretend it didn't happen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2015, 06:46:56 PM »
 :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

*Peter Griffin voice*   "Holy Crap!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »
Who's Peter Griffin? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Don't you joke with me Mr.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2015, 06:53:21 PM »
Don't you joke with me Mr.
:lol
Seriously, I don't know!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2015, 06:56:48 PM »
You'd have to be blind not to know who he is! :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtVXI8kROY

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
You'd have to be blind not to know who he is! :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtVXI8kROY

Dude, I have never watched ONE episode of Family Guy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2015, 07:11:05 PM »
You are so old.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
I haven't watched much Family Guy at all, but I did watch when Peter and some chicken had a 10 minute battle. That was funny stuff

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »
In mentality you bugger!! :lol

March 68. :getoffmylawn:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »
In mentality you bugger!! :lol

March 68. :getoffmylawn:

Now THAT is old! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
:biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:55:08 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
I'm loving the old folk banter  :lol

Should be interesting.

Hopefully my tastes will be a little clearer as we get through the first couple rounds, but I'd encourage everyone to not overthink it all that much. I'd honestly prefer it if everyone just sends their personal favorites without too much thought for how I may or may not like it. For the older guys, I'm hoping for a glimpse into your pasts. In fact, thinking on that, I'm reminded of one of lonestar's old lists in which he detailed the most influential albums in his life and how they related to particular events in his life, though often not entirely for musical reasons. And while I'm likely never going to connect with Tales from Topographic Oceans in the same way or to the same degree as lonestar, I really did enjoy giving it a listen after going through the list. So yeah- go with your gut. I'll really appreciate it.

Looks like only Elite, Dr. DTVT (if he's still in) and jingle.boy (who I think already has a song picked out) are missing at this point.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:31 AM »
I talked to Chad, I believe he sent you an email.

RJ.......yup. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2015, 06:13:01 AM »
pre-90's music only? I didn't read that part and almost sent a 2014 song. I'm so fucked in this roulette :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »

Yeah we've exhanged a couple emails the past few days. He mentioned not wanting to come into the thread itself for fear of having to deal with used catheters and depends diapers.

pre-90's music only? I didn't read that part and almost sent a 2014 song. I'm so fucked in this roulette :lol

:loser:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:57 AM »
Yeah we've exhanged a couple emails the past few days. He mentioned not wanting to come into the thread itself for fear of having to deal with used catheters and depends diapers.

I'm pretty sure he deals with those things everyday, so I don't see a reason not to come into the thread...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »
It "Depends".

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »
I've got 10 songs now and a whole day to play with them. Gotta love the holidays!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2015, 07:57:59 AM »
Great first round, team. There probably aren’t going to be this many 8s in future rounds. And I’ll be very happy if anyone can get me another song as spectacular as the winner this round. On the flip side, I enjoyed all of these songs. Even the ones that scored lowest. So here are your results...

Elite Wishbone Ash - Sometime World    
Oh that’s rich. He says he’s fucked in this roulette, but right now I’m the one who’s feeling fucked. In the most fantastic way imaginable. This was the first song that I listened to, and what a great song to open up the roulette! Seriously- I couldn’t be more pleased right now. I’ve already listened to the full album Argus. Great great stuff. The guitar work is spell-binding, the bass is just what it needs to be and the vocals are a great match. Lyrics are real nice, too. I feel both at peace and excited. The only downside to this submission is that you can only go downhill from here.  9.5

kingshmegland Jon Butcher - Send me Somebody
This here is a pretty straightforward tune, but really enjoyable nonetheless. It’s interesting that you mentioned this is his last album before moving into the blues, because there are definitely moments in the song that I can hear that beginning to seep in. It’s got a great groove to it and I love the guitar tone. Also- best chorus of the round and it’s not even close. Overall a really strong song which could easily have been my favorite of the round if not for Elite’s sensational pick. Also, really cool and funny story about you running into him in the mall. Thanks!  8

lonestar Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
I’ve got the blues now and evidently so did Robin Trower. I can feel it in the vocals, the emotive (albeit simple) guitar work, the lyrics, and the excellent atmosphere. I get the sense that if I were to strip away the first three components the fourth would still make for a nice ambient piece. My favorite thing about the song may be the slow pace with which it moves. There’s a patience here that lets the music swell, all the while keeping my attention. Very solid song to kick things off.  8

TAC UFO - Rock Bottom (live)
You’ve come out swinging- that’s for sure. At just over 11 minutes, this is easily the longest song of the round. It’s an unrelentingly fun, wild, and astonishingly impressive ride. As you mentioned when you sent the song, the Schekner guitar solo is not to be taken lightly. My one difficulty in judging this song was the length. While there aren’t any bad parts, I wonder if it could have been shrunk just a touch. That’s a minor qualm though and I think the music is more than satisfying enough to get a pass. With such a great start, Where do we go? Where do we go from here?  8

jingle.boy Slade - My oh My
So I’ve heard of Slade, and quite like Quiet Riot’s cover of their “Cum on Feel the Noize”, but never checked ‘em out. That’s going to change, if you could be so kind as to direct me to your favorite Slade album. As for this particular song- I’m really digging it. Simply put, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. In part because of the uplifting vocals and lyrics, in part because of the nice piano intro, and in part because of the very full sound when it starts to take off. Thanks for mixing things up with a ballad! 8

Scorpion Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
I’ve listened to Judas Priest before on Spotify several times, but never really invested the time to check them out more fully. I left them off the banned list precisely because I was hoping someone would get me something better to prompt a stronger reaction in me, so thanks for fulfilling that wish. Assuming you’re familiar with more than just this song, how would you rank your top 3-5 Judas Priest albums? About the song, I can understand why it would be considered a classic. And about the guitar solo, you’re right on point- great stuff. Though I’d probably rate TAC’s guitar solo offering from this round a bit higher, this is a close second. Very good start. 7.5

jjrock88 Saxon - Power and the Glory 
A minute and a half into the song the questions are posed: can you feel the power? Can you feel the glory? And to that, I answer yes. Apart from Iron Maiden I’ve never really delved into NWOBHM bands, though you’ve got me starting to question why. My one complaint with this song is the kind of dirty-sounding production. Overall, nice introduction to the band- I’m now going to look into checking out more. Which album would you suggest I try first?  7.5

LieLowTheWantedMan Can - Paperhouse
While you might not always send my favorite songs, you’re always introducing me to really interesting stuff. So thanks for that- I really do appreciate it. This song is no different. It’s astonishing to me that this album was released almost 45 years ago, the sound is not dated in the slightest. I’m not crazy about the gibberish vocals, but they’re certainly not unpleasant or inappropriate within the context of the song. I checked out a couple other tracks from Tago Mago and they were, once again, interesting. Kind of a lot for me to swallow, but still a fun and worthwhile meal. 7.5

Dr. DTVT Van Halen- Hot for Teacher
You’re right- this is a fun song. Paired with a fun video, no less. And I’m really enjoying EVH’s guitar work. But I’d be lying if I said this song didn’t still leave a little something to be desired. Not exactly sure what that something is, but I suspect it might have to do with the way the vocals are delivered. Regardless, it’s the difference between a 7.5 and a 7.

Nekov Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays - Ozark
This is a really pleasant instrumental that I enjoy. I’ve been playing the piano for about 10 years now and I really enjoy piano-centric music. My only issue with this song may be that it’s a touch too playful and more bouncy than what I typically go for. It’s up-tempo and festive- definitely appropriate for the holiday season. Unfortunately, I’ve never been all that wild about festive music. Still, that this should be my least favorite song of the round, despite still enjoying it, is a testament to how strong a batch of songs this was. 6.5

Send round 2 whenever you're ready!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 2)
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »
Wow! :D I didn't expect that! And I didn't even tell you to listen to the full album :lol

Argus is one of my favourites, there should be a write-up about it in my first Top 50 thread. The whole album is indeed something unique, with those fantastic guitar and bass lines, vocal harmonies and song-writing. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
Yeah after hearing how awesome the song was I almost immediately went to check out the full album. It did not disappoint  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
Very cool to see all the song selections.  Man some memories here.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
As I feared, at least three bands I wanted to send were sent by others.  :lol

I'm gonna have to dig deep by the end of this thing. Dammit TAC, I was so gonna send Rock Bottom next. *shakes fist*

EDIT- Sent next round as to beat you to the punch...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
Wow! :D I didn't expect that! And I didn't even tell you to listen to the full album :lol

Argus is one of my favourites, there should be a write-up about it in my first Top 50 thread. The whole album is indeed something unique, with those fantastic guitar and bass lines, vocal harmonies and song-writing. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Argus is awesome. The roots of Iron Maiden.