Author Topic: Mangini during Space Dye Vest on dvd  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Images and Scenes

Mangini during Space Dye Vest on dvd
« on: October 09, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
This may sound petty, but I was kind of bothered by how Mike Mangini acted on stage during space dye vest on the breaking the fourth wall dvd..

We've waited years for a live version of the song, and yeah, while the song doesn't require much from Mike, I don't think it was the right time or place for him to clown around and look bored.

There's plenty of time for humour on stage, but during Space Dye Vest is not one of those times.

Anyway, yeah I know I sound like a petty person, and I ususally wouldn't be bothered by such a seemingly minor thing. But man, I can't expalin it, it's just the way I feel. 
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mangini during Space Dye Vest on dvd
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
He seemed to be communicating to JM during those parts.  I can see how you would form your opinion on it, but I really don't think there's anything there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
I was actually wondering why he didn't do the two hand stick twirling thing like he usually does, in addition to the one hand back and forth thing.

I actually, believe it or not, totally noticed when I saw this live at the California shows, how perfect he acted during this song. More than just playing the part right, he was moving his hands, arms, and styx the exact right way and making the right face. I did notice it was less perfect on the DVD and I noticed him smile once just a tad outta place.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »
Smiling during a song like this is outta place?  Should be have sat there looking all mopey and sad like Moore probably was when he wrote the song?  ???

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
Agree with the OP, I even noticed that during the show itself. His "lol, I'll do a big clock pendulum thing" was rather out of place.
Then again, as many have pointed out before, DT doesn't really seem to "get" SDV, so it's not all that surprising.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
...I...just, don't...

I think he was quite funny. I have nothing else to contribute...
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
While yes, we have been waiting to hear Space-Dye Vest for a while, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, regardless of what the song is about, I don't think the band should get all solemn and depressing while performing it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
Smiling during a song like this is outta place?  Should be have sat there looking all mopey and sad like Moore probably was when he wrote the song?  ???

Noooooo I was just saying his body language wasn't as flawless as when I saw them live. One of the smiles seemed a little out of place. I would never have started this thread but I'm just commenting to say actually I noticed this minor detail also.  :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
For all we know, JLB clowns around when he's not singing, but because he's offstage no one can see him. MM has to sit there all the while.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 03:31:08 PM »
When you're on stage in front of an audience, it's pretty important to be self aware with how you're acting in front of that audience.  Imagine if JLB stood on stage during an instrumental section looking bored as hell. How would that come across to an audience? Same thing with Mangini. He doesn't have to look all mopey on stage, but maybe concentrated and immersed in the music. Clowning around just makes it look like he's bored and isn't really interested in the song. On top of that it ruins the somber mood of the song. I'm sure that's not what he was trying to do and I'm sure he really likes the song, but that's still how it came off.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
Maybe he was just happy that he's playing such an amazing song live.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »
So I didnt notice anything when I first watched it and I go back and look wondering what he could have possibly done annnnnndddd....

it's a mountain out of a molehill.  At one point he rests his head on his hands which he has propped against his drums.  He has a subtle goofy look on his face and he looks over at JM. 

Thats it. 

He looks like he is kinda lost in the moment and taking in his surroundings with a slightly awkward grin.

Thats all. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
Some people will look for anything to bitch about...  ::)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
When you're on stage in front of an audience, it's pretty important to be self aware with how you're acting in front of that audience.  Imagine if JLB stood on stage during an instrumental section looking bored as hell. How would that come across to an audience? Same thing with Mangini. He doesn't have to look all mopey on stage, but maybe concentrated and immersed in the music. Clowning around just makes it look like he's bored and isn't really interested in the song. On top of that it ruins the somber mood of the song. I'm sure that's not what he was trying to do and I'm sure he really likes the song, but that's still how it came off.

He could always ride across stage on a scooter.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
it's a mountain out of a molehill.

Maybe to you.
SDV has a very special status in the discography, for two reasons: 1) it was KM's parting song and 2) it is a song that draws its appeal from the atmosphere it creates. Maybe you don't connect with that, but for a lot of us it made this song *very* special.
So, seeing MM goof around during the song just begs the question: why play the song in the first place? Just for completion sake?
I used to say "play SDV! Play Eve!", but now I actually don't want them to play Eve, because how they perform SDV.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »
If I was going to pick on MM for anything during this song, it's him trying NOT to goof around during the song.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
Well that's ironic.  Part of what I love about the new DVD is Mangini on SDV.  Does he look a little bored in the first part ?  Maybe he does but I'm not sure how he's supposed to act in that virtually drumless part.  But when they come back in for the new, updated part Mangini is dynamic and awesome.  I guess we all see things differently but Mangini looks fine in the early part and fantastic in the later part to me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
Why is that a fuggin' problem? Why could anything Mangini does bother someone?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
it's a mountain out of a molehill.

Maybe to you.
SDV has a very special status in the discography, for two reasons: 1) it was KM's parting song and 2) it is a song that draws its appeal from the atmosphere it creates. Maybe you don't connect with that, but for a lot of us it made this song *very* special.

I agree completely.  I would hate for them to play that song, which I personally connect with and love, and have one of the members goofing around and making an ass out of himself and a mockery of the song. 

Mangini didn't do anything close to that.

Hence:  mountain....molehill

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »

OMFG CALM DOWN BABY

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »

He could always ride across stage on a scooter.

Maybe he could shoot t-shirts, out of an air cannon, to the crowd during an instrumental section.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:26:15 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
This is an issue?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
This is an issue?

ITS VERY SERIOUS.

DT IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

SPACE DYE VEST IS VERY VERY VERY SERIOUS.

IT'S A SONG ABOUT A VEST FFS.

A FUCKING VEST

MANGINI SHOULD BE CRYING INTO HIS HANDS NOT SMILING.

A FUCKING VEST

Mangini was not in the band when they wrote that song so he has no VESTED interest. :neverusethis:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »
Thanks guys.

Now, MM will never be open again.

He was just smiling and learning to pretend.

Thanks a lot.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »
This is an issue?

ITS VERY SERIOUS.

DT IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

SPACE DYE VEST IS VERY VERY VERY SERIOUS.

IT'S A SONG ABOUT A VEST FFS.

A FUCKING VEST

MANGINI SHOULD BE CRYING INTO HIS HANDS NOT SMILING.

A FUCKING VEST

Mangini was not in the band when they wrote that song so he has no VESTED interest. :neverusethis:

:rollin

This post is legendary. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »
One more joke guys, and there truly will be Space Die Vests handed out. And a lot of blood in the shape of a heart.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
I'd rather an 'out of place smile' or whatever in a song than to encourage the the audience to sing "eat my ass and balls" as a lyric to a song. There, I said it. :P

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
Ooooooh

And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend

ooooohhh and you can eat my ass and balls.

Ooooh and I'll have no more dreams to defend.

ooooooh and you eat my ass and balls....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tuto

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »

Agreed

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »
Wait... this is a serious thread?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
Wait... this is a serious thread?

Little bit of both it would seem.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
I didn't even notice what MM was doing to be honest.  Or I didn't find it a big enough deal to remember it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »
Supposing that he acted strangely... I will forgive him because of what he did in the other half of the song as soon as the drums kick in  :hefdaddy