Author Topic: What do you 'feel' DT lacks?  (Read 10551 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: What do you 'feel' DT lacks?
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
Other than Myung, they all lack restraint. Rudess tries too hard to sound like a 70s prog keyboardist...or a Nintendo 64 game.

Along for the Ride, The Looking Glass, Surrender to Reason, The Bigger Picture.

Yep, all songs showing that Rudess has no restraint.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Other than Myung, they all lack restraint. Rudess tries too hard to sound like a 70s prog keyboardist...or a Nintendo 64 game.

To be honest, most of those songs support DerekTheater opinion.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »

JR better leave the band and for DT to not have any more keyboardists if you want more restraint than the way he played those songs. Geez.

Or maybe this is another one of I wish DT still has Kevin Moore posts.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
IŽd say:

1) better bass production (turn it up!);
2) better drum production;
3) better stage presence.

The thing about bass production is that JM's bass is low if you use the traditional earphones, but now that I have shifted to in-ear headphones, which is the fastest-growing earphone type today, the bass is actually loud. I am currently listening to TLG and JM is louder than JR. In TBP, JM is just as loud as JP. Maybe they are now mixing amd engineerring based on these new listening devices.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2014, 10:34:08 PM »
IŽd say:

The thing about bass production is that JM's bass is low if you use the traditional earphones, but now that I have shifted to in-ear headphones, which is the fastest-growing earphone type today, the bass is actually loud. I am currently listening to TLG and JM is louder than JR. In TBP, JM is just as loud as JP. Maybe they are now mixing amd engineerring based on these new listening devices.

are you listening to the CD master or the HDTracks one?

i find it more likely they are reducing the very bottom to make the CD louder (it's one of the tricks to the superloud trend – fat bass waves make limiters pump too much when you push them that hard) but are leaving it alone when they take the limiter off (or reduce it) for the HDTracks releases.

also i'm sure in-earphones have their own particular frequency response that perhaps reproduces bass better than the usual headphones and earbuds.

Offline adamack

« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
IŽd say:

also i'm sure in-earphones have their own particular frequency response that perhaps reproduces bass better than the usual headphones and earbuds.

This is a wild guess, but I think that the frequency output of in-ear headphones may be the same as traditional headphones. But the suction created by the design of the earbud greatly accentuates the bass, as it "traps" the bass directly into your ear canal.

The reason I believe this may be true is this: If you have traditional headphones on, and you press them tight against your ears, the bass (particularly the sub frequencies) become much more apparent. So this makes be believe that most headphone types contain these frequencies, but it's the design aspect of the in-ear ones which provide the bass boost.

In any case, I know exactly what you guys mean...whenever I use my in-ear headphones, the bass is insane! It's almost overkill.

The interesting thing is that the design tends to cause the sub bass frequencies to be accentuated, rather than the audible low-mids of the bass. So it produces somewhat of a bass-heavy hip-hop type mix, regardless of what you're listening to.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
I listen to the HD tracks mix. I also have the mp3s. Anyway, I think the DT12 bass is ok if you use in-ear headphones. I also noticed that a lot of earphones today have some sort of bass booster, so I am not sure if that was somehowbtaken into consideration when they mixed the record.

The in-ear headphones I use is just a standard Moonrock and the bass already sounds great. But then I tried this Bose in-ear while I was in the shop, and, wow, I was in awe. The salesman almost got me to buy it, good thing I reminded myself that the Bose in-ear costs one week salary.  :lol

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2014, 03:36:37 AM »
I think they lack more concise song-through format songs. Meaning that other than the epics, the songs follow a formula. Nowadays in an under 10 minute song you get:
Intro
Verse
Prechorus
Chorus
Verse variation
Prechorus Variation
Chorus Variation
Solo section
Chorus x 2 or 4
Outro.

Whereas in the past, a song like Take the Time, The Killing Hand, Metropolis, Beyond This Life, New Millennium, you'd get more parts, and bigger variation between. New Millennium has a vast difference in verses for example. I still like the songs they release now for the most part, regardless of formula a good song is a good song. But I do miss having songs like Take The Time.

Speaking of which, more funky groovy songs would be nice. I'm black. I REQUIRE MORE FUNKY BASS FOR SUSTENANCE.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2014, 04:44:01 AM »

Not his point about restraint, which is the one that erwinrafael was specifically responding to.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2014, 07:11:28 AM »
DT lack enough cowbell.
There must be more.
Listen to the Chile 2005 official bootleg and you'll be fine.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
Haven't read the whole thread and I apologize in advance if somebody else has said this but I think DT lacks a bit of inspiration and getting out the box when writing. Now, this has been going on since MP was in the band was more noticeable in Black Clouds, ADTOE and DT12.  What I love about SDOIT Disc 1 is that no song follows a specific formula or structure. Every song sounds different and yet sound like DT. Same with Falling Into Infinity. I guess DT12 broke a bit of that formula but you could still hear it.

As far as the concert themselves, DT has tried almost everything and everytime the production seems to increase (more lighting, more props, better screens, etc...). I love this but it would be cool if they kind a step it down (at least for once) and get a more raw live setting (kind of like Fates Warning or Evergrey; check out their latest DVDs by the way)...Still Life and LIve in Athens are live albums that get me excited when I hear them. I can feel the energy from the audience. The last two DT DVDs, I hardly feel that. I could feel it in Once in a Livetime and even in Scenes from a Memory, but LALP and BTFW not so much.

I hope my post makes sense.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

JR better leave the band and for DT to not have any more keyboardists if you want more restraint than the way he played those songs. Geez.

Or maybe this is another one of I wish DT still has Kevin Moore posts.

Grow up. I've liked this band for years, but no one is above reproach. Did I say I hated JR? No. I just don't think Dream Theater should try to sound like Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
1) Outside producer. Need I say more oh drums and vocals?

2) Corporate. They have their own private niche so they don't step out of the box like they used to. They were one of the first to revive the double album in prog, long epic songs..etc.. now everyone thinks that's what they always must do.

3) C'mon!! orchestral stuff again? Technology made keyboards sound awesome and very orchestra like in the studio.. do they really need to release another live album with them again? What about just flutes or a brass band?

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
Thank GOD someone agrees with me about the orchestra!

I don't have "Breaking the Fourth Wall" yet, but I HAVE heard the new version of "Strange Deja Vu," and I thought the orchestra and choir were just an annoying distraction from the BAND playing the SONG!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
Dynamics in their studio recordings. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »
The problem is that DT, other than in IT, used the orchestra as filler strings. So, I agree ) and many others do) that the orchestra has little more importance than being a really expensive keyboard patch.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
As for what I'd like to see musically, I'd like to see:

- Longer, more progressive songs (which in general they do, I'm just worried that they'll continue with the ~6 min songs again after the success of the s/t. As good as that release was, they've made that point now and it'd be nice to get more proggy again!  :metal )
- More use of jazzier sounds and/or other influences mixed in with the metal sound (perhaps some flute sounds would be cool?)
- Crazier Jordan Rudess stuff. I don't mean AROP solo wank, I mean unique and varied work like on his recent LMR release - WAY better than anything he's contributed to DT in the last 10 years.
- Better choruses/lyrics in general. On the recent albums, it feels the choruses try too hard to be anthemic/epic. I'd love to see deeper, more thought out lyrics again like those up to 6DOIT, dripping in metaphors and where you have to dig deep to find the meanings.

As for in general, I'd like to see more/better crowd interaction live and better thought out "jibba jabba" (as some call it round here  :P ) rather than seemingly random talking to the crowd that happens right now haha.

Probably sounds really picky, I am in general VERY happy with the band atm and the last 2 albums are the best they've released in a while. I can't think of many bands 25+ years into their career that are as consistently good and put as much effort in as DT.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2014, 07:12:29 AM »
A DVD showing all the process of composition and rehearsal in studio - since the pop up of the first idea till how the musicians add to the idea and the rough material becomes a song. That would be something!

Offline adamack

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
The problem is that DT, other than in IT, used the orchestra as filler strings. So, I agree ) and many others do) that the orchestra has little more importance than being a really expensive keyboard patch.

I don't know why people have a problem with the orchestra.

I mean, It would be one thing if the orchestra was dominating the band and sounded too loud. Then, it would just be distracting and ruin the songs.

But as you said, they use the orchestra more as filler.

It is more environmental, and more in the background.

My point is, that even if the orchestra is inaudible by itself, it still provides an atmosphere that cannot be duplicated by even the best keyboard patches.

There are some amazing patches these days, but they would sound more restricted and partitioned being fed through JR's speakers than an orchestra which can use its own space in the spectrum.

Why not create a grander, broader dynamic with a real orchestra, so that at the very least, the fans at the show can experience a bigger, fuller mix? And in turn, give JR a little more room to focus on his lead parts.

Just my thoughts. To each his own though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:40 PM »
Please do not share links to illicitly spread officially released material.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Xenon

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »

Not his point about restraint, which is the one that erwinrafael was specifically responding to.
I was refering to him sounding like a 70s keyboardist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
Yes, but that wasn't his point.  He was specifically talking about restraint.  So you responded to a point he wasn't making.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
Yes, I was talking about restraint.  :P Especially with the video game comment coming up.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
My bad then, I missunderstood what you said. Sorry.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
My bad then, I missunderstood what you said. Sorry.

Cool beans.  ;)

I wish JR would do more piano than synths. I like how he did this in TLG in the BTFW version. My favorite solo parts by JR are also with the piano sound (BAI, IT, and especially Blind Faith. And I love Haken's piano riff in Atlas Stone.  :lol

That's it. I want more piano to gonwith more cowbell!

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
Yes, I was talking about restraint.  :P Especially with the video game comment coming up.

It was more of a joke than anything, but you can't tell me you haven't listened to Rudess and been reminded of Mario Kart.  :laugh:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

It was more of a joke than anything, but you can't tell me you haven't listened to Rudess and been reminded of Mario Kart.  :laugh:

Well, there are songs like that, but those are balanced by songs where he is restrained. i also think it's a DT thing, not just JR, because they have done that vid game thing even back in Metropolis Pt. 1.  :P

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:11 AM »
"What do you 'feel' DT lacks?"

== >> A great, "real" producer/mixer (both ??) for their studio releases.
Nothing else comes to my mind.
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
I like his restrainment in DT12.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »

For me, saying what i think DT lacks would end being more about changes that fit my present personal tastes than anything so, to be fair, i will agree with you about the production since it's a thing that would not appeal only to me.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »

Are you trying to say that JPs beard isn't a "real" producer?

Come on now...  :lol

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
Aside from better production, I really want them to experiment a little more. JR should give something like Animal Collective a listen. Maybe they can inspire some new keyboard sounds so we aren't stuck with the same casio keyboard solos over and over again.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »

Whereas in the past, a song like Take the Time, The Killing Hand, Metropolis, Beyond This Life, New Millennium, you'd get more parts, and bigger variation between. New Millennium has a vast difference in verses for example. I still like the songs they release now for the most part, regardless of formula a good song is a good song. But I do miss having songs like Take The Time.

Well, DT is still less formulaic than most bands with their songwriting structure (although I guess that's besides the point). In fairness, I think there are still plenty of songs that vary and build on a previous section in ways that New Millennium/Take The Time did. For example, Lost Not Forgotten, Breaking all Illusions and On The Backs Of Angels all come to mind as having second verses that are substantially different to their first verse. With DT12 this occurs more in the instrumentation getting a lot busier the second time around.

I wish JR would do more piano than synths. I like how he did this in TLG in the BTFW version. My favorite solo parts by JR are also with the piano sound (BAI, IT, and especially Blind Faith.

YES I love JR in TLG on BTFW. In fact, I never noticed all that crazy piano work in the song if it's even in the studio version. But I would like to see more stuff like this and the piano breakdown from OTBOA before the guitar solo comes to mind aswell. We need more piano from JR, that's what DTs lacking atm!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:46:05 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:47 PM »

Well, DT is still less formulaic than most bands with their songwriting structure (although I guess that's besides the point). In fairness, I think there are still plenty of songs that vary and build on a previous section in ways that New Millennium/Take The Time did. For example, Lost Not Forgotten, Breaking all Illusions and On The Backs Of Angels all come to mind as having second verses that are substantially different to their first verse. With DT12 this occurs more in the instrumentation getting a lot busier the second time around.

DT12 also has a lot of these, it's just subtle. For example, TBP indeed has verse-chorus-verse, but the music in the second verse is not the same as the first verse. :p And then the chorus does not play after the instrumentals because the section after the instrumental is again different! And then there is that last third of the song which has two distinct musical movements. The transitions are actually subtle that the listener often does not notice that the only repeating section in TBP is the first chorus (and it repeated only once!).

Behind The Veil also has these subtle changes. The only repeating sections in BTV are the pre-chorus (twice) and the chorus (thrice). The verses are different. Of course there is the main riff, but it is THE main riff, so it has to be repeating all over the song. Hehehe.

Surrender to Reason has only one repeating section, the chorus, and it only repeats after the instrumental (and the second chorus is different, with "restless angels..."

I think people just do not notice these because the songs are short and to the point. But there's a lot of variety within the songs, just like their previous songs.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
I very much noticed these things. And I prefer Dream Theater's short songs for the most part. I just think they could use more of it. Also, I miss the funky-groovier elements of certain songs. They still have this, I'd just like to see it get played up more often.