Author Topic: What do you 'feel' DT lacks?  (Read 10537 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What do you 'feel' DT lacks?
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
There is a funk/groove element that they have used only a couple of times (Take The Time, Lines in the Sand) that I really wish they would explore more often.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »
^ Bingo. Also the guitar in the middle of New Millennium's instrumental section, and briefly during Breaking All Illusions after the first chorus. Really give Myung a chance to shine along with Mangini.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
There is a funk/groove element that they have used only a couple of times (Take The Time, Lines in the Sand) that I really wish they would explore more often.

Agreed.

Offline majo

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
ideas
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
thoughts
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
You guys are tough!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »

Yeah, those two songs with funky elements are really good. I just find it funny that with only two songs that have funk elements that are LPs and one EP apart, some are saying that they miss the DT that used to have a funky sound. Really? A funky sound? With only two out of around thirty songs with a sprinkling of funk elements, we can already characterize DT's music then as funky?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2014, 07:04:53 PM »

Two of my instant favourites from the first listen for that reason. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

Yeah, those two songs with funky elements are really good. I just find it funny that with only two songs that have funk elements that are LPs and one EP apart, some are saying that they miss the DT that used to have a funky sound. Really? A funky sound? With only two out of around thirty songs with a sprinkling of funk elements, we can already characterize DT's music then as funky?

What's wrong with saying you would like them to explore that territory more often?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »

No.  Not sure what you are talking about.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:58 AM »
Hef, I think I have your answer.  Let me illustrate it by a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MFUIB6OMiA
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
Tower of Power is definitely funky.

DT is definitely NOT.

But they have shown that capability in the past, and I wish they would bring that around again more often than they do now (which is never).

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »
Discretion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Inventory
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
Honesty

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2014, 12:49:34 PM »
A thirteenth studio album.  :P

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
In my opinion DT could add two elements that would make their music even more interesting than it already is:

1) Other orchestral instruments than just strings. They obviously have a classical influence sometimes, and in their own words, like making "cinematic" music. But to be honest, the standard strings and choir approach is getting a little stale for me - I'd love if they could use a badass brass section or horns etc. For example, Haken has utilised this well on "The Mountain".

2) Some more "jazzy" rhythms and harmonies.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
Definitely. It's a great contrast to the more metal stuff, and I really like contrasts in music.

One other thing is bass. It has been mostly buried for too long. As a bass player that frustrates me quite a lot. Mixing bass isn't that hard, but it obviously won't be very audible if you turn it down to 2 while the guitar is at 11.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:50:27 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
ideas
thoughts
I want them to have their own thoughts, and ideas, and feelings, even when I hold them in my arms. It's our last chance. It's our last chance...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:20 AM »
ideas
thoughts
I want them to have their own thoughts, and ideas, and feelings, even when I hold them in my arms. It's our last chance. It's our last chance...
Well played, sir  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2014, 07:19:37 AM »
Definitely. It's a great contrast to the more metal stuff, and I really like contrasts in music.

One other thing is bass. It has been mostly buried for too long. As a bass player that frustrates me quite a lot. Mixing bass isn't that hard, but it obviously won't be very audible if you turn it down to 2 while the guitar is at 11.

Isn't the bass audible in the last album? Granted I use in-ear headphones, and the bass is louder than JR in songs like TLG.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
Isn't the bass audible in the last album? Granted I use in-ear headphones, and the bass is louder than JR in songs like TLG.
It's a little all over the place, really. It's relatively loud a lot of the time, sometimes it's completely lost. I don't really like how it sounds on that album though, which is the biggest issue with this particular release. It sounds a little guitar-ish, too trebly and too little of the nice frequencies. Then again, I find using effects on bass in metal to be completely pointless and counterproductive.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
I hear it throughout the album.  I am very happy with the bass sound.  They went for that specific "trebly" sound.  It punches through.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
It's a little all over the place, really. It's relatively loud a lot of the time, sometimes it's completely lost. I don't really like how it sounds on that album though, which is the biggest issue with this particular release. It sounds a little guitar-ish, too trebly and too little of the nice frequencies. Then again, I find using effects on bass in metal to be completely pointless and counterproductive.

OK, I understand that some would not like how the bass sounded. Personally, I would like a more round sound for the bass. I was responding to your comment about the bass being low in the mix, though, because you were commenting on how it is buried in the mix. I don't think it is low in the mix as it is really audible.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
A thirteenth studio album.  :P

LOL excellent!! :tup
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »
"What do you 'feel' DT lacks?"

== >> A great, "real" producer/mixer (both ??) for their studio releases.
Nothing else comes to my mind.

Are you trying to say that JPs beard isn't a "real" producer?

Come on now...  :lol

No, but I'm sure that he could have done a much better work on DT12. ;)
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
A solid producer. Besides the song: Beneath the Surface, the last 2 albums have been/seemed very formulaic.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »
Nothing against BTS, but I would have thought it seems more 'formulaic' than a good majority of the other ADTOE songs?

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:41 AM »
Enaggeee... POWAHHHH

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »
At least some of these things have already been said, but I would like to see more input from John Myung as BOTH a musician and a lyricist.
Also, I MIGHT want to see more lyrical contributions from James LaBrie, but his songwriting ideas have always been hit and miss with me.
If he wrote more things like "One Last Time," "Blind Faith," and "Sacrificed Sons" I would want to hear more of what he has to say.
But most of the rest of what he wrote just doesn't do it for me.

And I would like to see if Jordan Rudess and/or Mike Mangini have anything to say lyrically.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:30:12 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...