Author Topic: What do you 'feel' DT lacks?  (Read 10548 times)

Offline MiracleSleeper

What do you 'feel' DT lacks?
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
I'm worried this thread is going to turn into a war zone, but I hope I'm wrong.... Remember this all opinions and personal preference, nothing objective here!

Anyway, as for me... despite DT being my favorite band, the only thing (imo) I've always felt was that they lacked the more 'emotional' side of song writing. Now, when I refer to being "emotional" I'm talking in regards to the type of music that really moves you emotionally, and effects you on an inner, personal level. So as I said, this is more of a subjective criticism than an objective one, because I'm sure plenty of fans are able to internally connect to their music. I definitely feel as though the band creates extremely passionate, vibrant music, but when I'm in an upset mood, or I really need a song to go to, to reflect on some of my issues, I've unfortunately rarely listened to a DT song.

I feel there are a few exceptions though, where DT does capture that inner core of songwriting:

-Space Dye Vest
-Trial of Tears
-Take Away My Pain
-Another Day

And one other thing I'd like to note is that "emotional" doesn't necessarily refer to "sad". Metallica (my original favorite band) I feel wrote so many emotional songs in the 80's that were at the same time heavy as fudge. I can put on, let's say, "Ride the Lightning" and I just 'feel' so many powerful emotions radiating from it. DT has managed to succeed at this several times, but not 'too' often for me.

ps: Go easy on me guys!  :P

Offline Xenon

Re: What do you 'feel' DT lacks?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
I don't feel the lack of emotion. At least for me DT12 is the more emotional record they did in the last decade.
 But lately I think they lack groove, experimentation, and good production.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
I think as long as DT write and play music they like and enjoy, than I don't think they lack anything.  All bands are different and have different styles, so if I want to hear something that DT doesn't really do, I'll listen to something else.  The last thing I want DT to do is write and play something that's forced.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
A great audio production from start to finish.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Nameless One

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:21:23 PM »
Rhythm Guitarist! He can even sing Back-up!

A dedicated Rhythm guitar player, JP will still play all Leads.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

In all my time listening to DT, I have never ever thought once that they needed a rhythm guitarist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »

In all my time listening to DT, I have never ever thought once that they needed a rhythm guitarist.

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »
Need a rhythm guitarist?

JP + Two Extra Mechanical Arms = Problem Solved

I may have to draw what that would look like later, lol.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:41:48 PM »

Likewise. JR fills out the rest of the sonic space perfectly, and the last thing they need is more guitars.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
Since the departure of Portnoy, I think they've lacked a strong background/harmony vocalist.

Maybe they could bring in Charlie Dominicci to fulfill the role. Or maybe someone who could do backups wherever needed, such as vocals, guitar, percussion, keyboards, etc.

Maybe even a female musician to do all of those things. DT has a lot of song parts where the point of view is supposed to be that of a woman. Maybe this would solve that problem...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Xenon

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
Since the departure of Portnoy, I think they've lacked a strong background/harmony vocalist.

Maybe they could bring in Charlie Dominicci to fulfill the role. Or maybe someone who could do backups wherever needed, such as vocals, guitar, percussion, keyboards, etc.

Maybe even a female musician to do all of those things. DT has a lot of song parts where the point of view is supposed to be that of a woman. Maybe this would solve that problem...
bring theresa back  :lol
Even though, I like that idea, I think JP could do that since he's IMO a better singer than MP. But It seems that their vision of music right now is staying true to the records.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
They lack an adequate amount of James LaBrie lyrics. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
Need a rhythm guitarist?

Try to include him playing a four-necked guitar if you can.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
They lack an adequate amount of James LaBrie lyrics.
amen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
Need a rhythm guitarist?

Try to include him playing a four-necked guitar if you can.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »

Was Portnoy a strong backgroung/harmony vocalist?

EVERYONE SURVIVED

ROAR
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline adastra

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »
Tough question!
I have two things that makes DT less DT nowadays :P

1. Portnoy, but let's not talk about that subject :D I've tried several years to get over it.

2. When I started listening DT in 2000 my first reactions were something like "DOES THIS KIND OF MUSIC EXIST?!?!" . I felt that again when I heard SDOIT , And again when I heard Octavarium.  and again when I heard The Count Of Tuscany :P    But yeah, I haven't felt like it with ADTOE and DT12.  I would say that the 2 new albums didn't bring anything new and interesting to the table... Except the orchestral section on IT.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »
Tough question!
I have two things that makes DT less DT nowadays :P

1. Portnoy, but let's not talk about that subject :D I've tried several years to get over it.

2. When I started listening DT in 2000 my first reactions were something like "DOES THIS KIND OF MUSIC EXIST?!?!" . I felt that again when I heard SDOIT , And again when I heard Octavarium.  and again when I heard The Count Of Tuscany :P    But yeah, I haven't felt like it with ADTOE and DT12.  I would say that the 2 new albums didn't bring anything new and interesting to the table... Except the orchestral section on IT.
I would say that happens when you listen to a band for many years without a great musical change. You get used to them.
But maybe that's just me. Anyway I do find fresh things in dt12

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 02:29:09 AM »
Recognition.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 04:09:02 AM »
JP going back to his I&W/Awake style of playing. He used to do some really interesting stuff back in those days.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 04:18:58 AM »
IMO, the lack of emotion is due to nothing but keyboard. Jordan is awesome musician but he lacks of writing intense, atmospheric and emotional passages. Actually this is the thing I miss since KM has left the band. I guess, Jordan is so technical musician for me which is not bad but also not my cup of tea.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 04:31:29 AM »
IMO, the lack of emotion is due to nothing but keyboard. Jordan is awesome musician but he lacks of writing intense, atmospheric and emotional passages. Actually this is the thing I miss since KM has left the band. I guess, Jordan is so technical musician for me which is not bad but also not my cup of tea.

SDOIT alone has more atmospheric and emotional playing from JR than anything KM ever did.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 04:36:08 AM »
To me, not.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 04:39:04 AM »
Regardless, to say that JR lacks atmospheric or emotional passages is so ridiculously wrong, and ignorant of his incredible contribution to the band through the years.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 04:39:37 AM »
OK.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 05:08:30 AM »
I think JR does a really good job with the atmospheric stuff, but it's easy to overlook it cause his solos are often noisy messes. Sure, he has some wonderfully emotional solos, but they are the exceptions, not the norm, since, more often than not, his solos are just noisefests where he sounds like he is trying to bend notes into submission, and it's a shame, cause they often detract from the many good contributions he adds to the DT mix.

Offline efx

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 05:32:01 AM »
I'm in agreement with KevShmev. I'm staying out of the emotional aspect argument of things since that's just purely subjective but there's two sides to JR to me.

You have the textural aspect and different sounds that he uses which I think is amazing and fits the songs perfectly. His chord work is also cool. But the solos rarely grab me and while he's been a lot better on ADTOE and DT I still think KM's solos stick in my head better. KM also wrote great lyrics which is another feather in his cap.

In the end DS is my favorite anyways so :P

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 07:09:07 AM »
Kevin Moore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 07:17:59 AM »
As far as JR being atmospheric, I think what he does on TCOT is fantastic.

I think as long as DT write and play music they like and enjoy, than I don't think they lack anything.  All bands are different and have different styles, so if I want to hear something that DT doesn't really do, I'll listen to something else.  The last thing I want DT to do is write and play something that's forced.
I agree. I'm not sure they are lacking anything. These last two albums have been rally strong for such a variety of reasons.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
Saying they "lack" anything seems to be missing the point.  Every musician "lacks" something.  That's why there are so many acts/bands/artists.  Anything "lacking" from DT is something I wouldn't be going to DT for anyway, I would be getting it from someone else.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
Saying they "lack" anything seems to be missing the point.  Every musician "lacks" something.  That's why there are so many acts/bands/artists.  Anything "lacking" from DT is something I wouldn't be going to DT for anyway, I would be getting it from someone else.

THIS.

Altough some naked chicks on the album covers wouldn't hurt anyone.

Just sayin'...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
This guy gets it.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »

I used to think they needed a rhythm guitarist, but overtime that opinion changed to "JP needs to overdub less". I think it could really help the music breathe more if he didn't layer the guitars so much in certain parts. He's insanely talented and has a thick live sound, but he's still only 1 guitarist. I'd like it if he kept his sound a bit more "grounded" next time around. ...It's funny I say that, because some of their best musical moments have been really big and full in sound.

EDIT: JP mentioned in an interview recently that he enjoys the dynamic of guitar/keyboard interaction over 2 guitars. This is exactly what I feel DT lacks (only a bit though). I'd like if JP focused more on interacting with JR and creating more soundscapes together, as opposed to playing "individually". I hope that came across right xD
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
I used to think they needed a rhythm guitarist, but overtime that opinion changed to "JP needs to overdub less". I think it could really help the music breathe more if he didn't layer the guitars so much in certain parts. He's insanely talented and has a thick live sound, but he's still only 1 guitarist. I'd like it if he kept his sound a bit more "grounded" next time around. ...It's funny I say that, because some of their best musical moments have been really big and full in sound.

I don't know if I'd say JP overdubs too much, but I'd certainly agree that less guitar overdubs is a much better option for DT than ever bringing in a second guitarist.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
I think JR does a really good job with the atmospheric stuff, but it's easy to overlook it cause his solos are often noisy messes. Sure, he has some wonderfully emotional solos, but they are the exceptions, not the norm, since, more often than not, his solos are just noisefests where he sounds like he is trying to bend notes into submission, and it's a shame, cause they often detract from the many good contributions he adds to the DT mix.
Agreed, and I'll go further and say that this is the worst thing about DT right now. JR's solos often amount to mindless scribbling and frittering between a few key notes, without rhyme or reason. It is a shame, because we all know he is a true virtuoso capable of true elan and beauty.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges