Author Topic: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)  (Read 37603 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »
I didn't hate Flash but I've become so numb to the whole "I can't tell the truth to the person I love because it might put them in danger." motivation that the episode was a bit disappointing to me. Both Flash and Arrow have pursued that to death, IMO. Oh, and it never turns out good for them either. If circumstance proved them right, then it would make more sense.

Also, I may be a little butt hurt because I thought the chemistry between Barry and Patty was enjoyable to watch.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
Yeah, it's become a bit of a tired trope. I mean it's always present and it's an important aspect, but it's not something that needs so much focus after a certain amount of exposition. There is only so much "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR LOVED ONES IF THEY FIND OUT" that you can show the viewer. We know. Bad things happen. Villains targeting them, using them as collateral...yaddayaddayadda.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:29 AM »
Anybody see the Legends of Tomorrow pilot? I loved the concept, but the execution could have been a bit better. Way more fun then either Flash or Arrow, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »
Yeah, it's become a bit of a tired trope. I mean it's always present and it's an important aspect, but it's not something that needs so much focus after a certain amount of exposition. There is only so much "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR LOVED ONES IF THEY FIND OUT" that you can show the viewer. We know. Bad things happen. Villains targeting them, using them as collateral...yaddayaddayadda.  :lol

Of course, those bad things also happen when the loved ones DON'T find out.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
True boo, true. You right, you right.

Those superheroes are just fucked. So are the villains though...Hmmm... SUPERHERO STORIES ARE ACTUALLY ABOUT VIOLENT ORGIES!!

I dunno. /toomuchcoffee

I thought Legends of Tomorrow was pretty mediocre for an opening and was way more into Flash at the end of the first episode. But I thought it kicked the shit out of Arrow, but I think most things do. I probably won't watch another episode until the first season is over and I'm seeing what the majority reactions are. I'd check it out no matter the reactions but I feel like this could turn to shit halfway through. I'm usually pretty harsh but also spot on with what my own feelings will be for a show and that goes double for superhero shows. I hope they turn it into something with a little bit of depth and explore the characters more than they have in their respective shows (or just at all) but I'm not holding my breath.

RIP DTP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
I thought the first ep. of Legends of Tomorrow was pretty good.  To be fair, they had a lot of exposition to cover to introduce the concept and all the characters.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
Yeah I'm definitely being too hard on it for what it is and all the things they need to cover...that's just usually how I am with TV shows though given how back-logged I am. Netflix and Hulu have spoiled me as well so I'm much more prone to wait for a show to end it's season before I catch it unless it's just really got me by the balls and my entire attention.

RIP DTP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
That new Flash episode was amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline masterthes

« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »
Barry was an idiot to Patty. I understand why he did it, but personally I would rather take the risk in possibly losing Patty than being alone. I have grown tired of this whole to be a superhero is to be alone cliche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
Except anyone he loves in his life goes away. He's afraid she would get hurt or killed. That is a normal response in a not so normal situation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
Barry was an idiot to Patty. I understand why he did it, but personally I would rather take the risk in possibly losing Patty than being alone. I have grown tired of this whole to be a superhero is to be alone cliche

Wow. That's like the epitome of selfishness. You'd rather your loved one be in constant danger and possibly die than be alone; whatever floats your hypothetical boat. I mean I suppose I'm glad super powers don't exist and lucky for your significant other. *shrug*

I think they focus a bit too much on it but it doesn't mean it's not a fact. If you're fucking around with a bunch of murderous people and you've got collateral, i.e. family, friends, loved ones, they're going to be targeted. That isn't something that is exclusive to the fantasy world. Anyone screwing around or involved with truly murderous criminals, let alone the mafia or drug cartels, etc. is going to have their family or friends threatened at some point or worse. Very real issue. It's just an issue that is focused on a bit too much in superhero stories but it doesn't make that undeniable fact any less true. It's a fact of life.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:48:27 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
The way I look at it, they should respect their loved-ones enough to tell them the truth and let them decide if the risk is worth it. It's even worse with Patty who is a fucking cop, for crying out loud. She already has a dangerous life. She's a big girl.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »
Or that.

RIP DTP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:35 AM »
How stupid is Barry... he has the balls enough to lie to Patty and let her go, but then when she calls BARRY, and THE FLASH shows up before she even hangs up the phone, what does he think she's going to think.  His response when she told him "there's someone with a gun" should've been "you're a cop, handle it".

Good episode, but honestly, the Barry/Patty story arc was getting on my nerves.  Let's just lose the whole love-life sub plots for ALL superheroes, k?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »
enjoyed Flash again this week (although Barry sure was an idiot).  Cisco meeting up with his doppelganger was pretty funny.  Can't wait for Velocity 9 . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »
jingle.kids and I were laughing to the point my stomach hurt at how hilariously bad The Flash was!  I sure hope that Meta-human detector "app" was free, because it sure as shit didn't work.  Also, how long was "Bartholomew" knocked out for?  And how did Jay trip over his shoe laces, and get such a huge gash in his shoulder - WHILE WEARING A LEATHER JACKET!?!?  And yes, Barry was a total idiot - acting like every difference on Earth-2 was such a shock, and doing a shit-ass job at trying to be Barry-2.

The main story arc had so much promise, but execution was so, SO, bad.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »
I sure hope that Meta-human detector "app" was free, because it sure as shit didn't work.

why did it only work one time for Barry, and no other time when anyone was close to Barry or Cisco?  :lol

And yes, Barry was a total idiot - acting like every difference on Earth-2 was such a shock, and doing a shit-ass job at trying to be Barry-2.

he completely forgot/abandoned his entire plan for becoming Barry-2 almost as soon as he came up with it!  The only thing I can think of is that he was so distracted with Iris as his wife and his mom being alive that it kind of became his "perfect" world and messed with his mind/distracted him from the mission.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:47 AM »
^^ This! Barry acted like a total doofus throughout the entire episode!

Rest was cool, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2016, 02:24:11 AM »
It's getting to the point where I go in expecting these kinds of annoyances with each episode of The Flash.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »
jingle, this may not be the show for you lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »
jingle, this may not be the show for you lol

Normally I love it.  This last one was exceptionally bad - even worse than Snart + Dad (what a goddamn waste of Michael Ironside).  When he froze a laser beam - :lolpalm:.  Since when does light freeze?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
the show is about a man that can run so fast he can time travel, and THAT is what you choose to question
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
It annoys me how much they talk about their super secret stuff in public, especially at the coffee shop or the police station. There's tons of people around and they nonchalantly talk about Barry being the Flash and all other sorts of things and there is no fucking way other people aren't overhearing it.

Also Barry will run around in public without his Flash costume on and it's equally stupid because there's no way other people aren't observing that shit. Like in a recent episode where he flashed into an outdoor restaurant area full of people to a date with Patty.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2016, 05:30:39 AM »
Like in a recent episode where he flashed into an outdoor restaurant area full of people to a date with Patty.

I thought the exact same thing... but wasn't that the dream sequence?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2016, 05:58:54 AM »
Was it? I don't even remember.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
The Arrow island flashbacks are getting reeeeaaalllyyy Lost-y. That needs to stop.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2016, 05:18:50 AM »
The Arrow island flashbacks are getting reeeeaaalllyyy Lost-y. That needs to stop.
The Arrow flashbacks in general need to stop.  It seems like half of every episode is flashback, in every season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2016, 06:43:40 AM »
They're still doing that?? Damn, I thought they were annoying in S02E01.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »
The Arrow flashbacks in general need to stop.  It seems like half of every episode is flashback, in every season.
I agree, it was cool in the first 2 season because they served a purpose! Now they're just shoving them in because it's the established way to tell the story in the episode.

They really need to stop.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
I agree, it was cool in the first 2 season because they served a purpose! Now they're just shoving them in because it's the established way to tell the story in the episode.

They really need to stop.
I was of the understanding that the show is planned to last 5 seasons and that the flashbacks in each season cover a year of his time away. So in that sense, they all serve a purpose.

Now, the flashback stuff in season 3 I wasn't so keen on and it made that a weaker season. Otherwise I'm totally fine with it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
What I was trying to say with that is that they helped further the storytelling in a better way. You see Oliver's survival in the island and his initial training to become the Green Arrow and then his relationship with Slade is explored and why he attacks Star City. Ever since they showed he left the island before the beginning of the show, it has lessen their impact (imo) and they haven't been that good since season 2 anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: February 29, 2016, 10:04:02 AM »
I am officially done with Legends of Tomorrow, BTW.