Author Topic: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)  (Read 37607 times)

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:15:25 AM »
Hey everyone, I just thought i'd make a topic to see if there's any fans of "DC Comics" here, I'm one of them :p.

Last night The Flash season premiere started and it was pretty good! and tomorrow the new season of Arrow is starting which I'm REALLY excited to see.

There's been lots of talking for upcoming DC TV Shows here's the list announced so far:

Arrow
The Flash
Gotham
Constantine
Supergirl
Teen Titans (or just "Titans")
Young Justice (Maybe. There's been rumors about it though)

What do you think of Arrow/Gotham/Flash so far?

The only thing that's bothering me is that it's on different networks which is kind of confusing for me lol

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:41:12 AM by ariich »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: DC TV Universe.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:42:03 AM »
I am a huge fan of Arrow. The second season was just brilliant. I'm very excited to see how The Flash turns out.

My impression of Gotham so far is that it seems to be confused on what it really wants to be. It has the makings to be a gritty crime drama but also can be quite as cheesy as Smallville. Let's see if it can keep up this thin line between realism and fantasy it's trying to produce.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »
I never started with Arrow, although I've heard it's really good.

I am interested in The Flash, but I missed it last night.

I have no interest whatsoever in Gotham, but I'm really looking forward to Constantine.

I am indifferent to Supergirl or any of the other things planned for the future.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:51:06 AM »
Just reviving this thread as I've finally caught up on Arrow and have been watching The Flash and Gotham as well.

I'm really enjoying all three so far. Arrow in particular is genuinely excellent, probably the best comic book TV show around. I've been really impressed with Gotham so far, bit of a slow build but some great stuff and nice ideas being introduced. The Flash has also been pretty enjoyable so far - definitely a bit lighter and cheesier than Arrow, but that's alright as I think it helps distinguish them a bit. It's also probably partly because it contains lots of different superpowers, whereas I think the Arrow and Batman universes are so engaging because they are much more gritty and "normal".

I do think DC is missing out a bit by not bringing the shows together in the way Marvel does. I mean, look at the Marvel TV/Movie thread here at DTF - it's really busy. Whereas this thread had 3 posts before it died. The Arrow/Flash crossover should help, but that seems to be the extent of it, and these have no relation to the movies. And it was a bit of a dick move of Warner to announce the actors that will be playing Justice League movie characters including The Flash only two weeks after The Flash TV show started. The movie isn't even due until 2018 so I've no idea why they couldn't have waited.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:42:36 AM »
To be fair, most of the Marvel posts is about the movies though. Agents of Shield is not very good at all (unfortunately) and the drop in viewers, which seems to continue going downwards which each episode just confirms that. DC is miles above Marvel with their TV universe, but they haven't really gotten their movie universe going yet, and so naturally people have more to talk about when it comes to Marvel, considering they are 8 or 9 movies into their universe.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »
Are all of these shows linked? I know Arrow and Flash are, but what about the others?

I don't really have a lot to contribute to this thread. I watch Arrow but I'm more than a month behind, and I've only seen two episodes of Gotham (wasn't impressed but I might go back and watch a couple more). I haven't started Constantine or Flash yet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:21:13 AM »
Agents of Shield is not very good at all (unfortunately) and the drop in viewers, which seems to continue going downwards which each episode just confirms that.
Nah, Agents of SHIELD is good. 

This thread is really misnamed.  There is a lot of DC on TV (and more coming), but none of them are connected other than Arrow and The Flash.  Other than that, there is no DC TV Universe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »
Agents of Shield is not very good at all (unfortunately) and the drop in viewers, which seems to continue going downwards which each episode just confirms that.
Nah, Agents of SHIELD is good. 

This thread is really misnamed.  There is a lot of DC on TV (and more coming), but none of them are connected other than Arrow and The Flash.  Other than that, there is no DC TV Universe.

True on all accounts.  Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been miles better than last years.  I'm so pissed that the ratings are dropping.  It's really coming together.

Gotham... I dropped it about a month ago.  There were just far too many poorly written moments in every single episode.  Plus, trying to stuff pretty much every single Batman universe character into a 1-hour episode every week, and properly develop a need to care about them... well, I just didn't care about any of them.  Cobblepot was the most interesting.

The episode's I haven't watched are still on the DVR, and maybe I'll go give it a shot again, but I'm just not feeling it.

Constantine... haven't tried.  Not enough disposable time in the week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »
I love Gotham! One of my favorite new shows!

Constantine is meh. Watched 2 episodes and don't know how much longer I will stay with it.

Never saw Arrow.

Had no clue The Flash was even a show? What network is it on?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Had no clue The Flash was even a show? What network is it on?

CW.  It's only about 6 episodes in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
Constantine is meh. Watched 2 episodes and don't know how much longer I will stay with it.
I felt the same way about the first 2.  I thought episodes 3 & 4 were much better.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
I felt the same way about the first 2.  I thought episodes 3 & 4 were much better.
I push forward a couple more.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »
 :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »
I don't really understand why people can be so judgemental about a show right at the start. Often it takes time for a show to establish itself and find its feet. It also takes time to introduce the characters and storylines, and so early episodes tend to require a fair amount of exposition which can sometimes be awkward.

Agents of SHIELD and Gotham are two shows I'm glad I've stuck with when the first couple of episodes didn't seem very exciting, because I'm enjoying them both a lot now.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: DC comics TV shows
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:57:37 AM »
Just bumping this thread (and renaming it for accuracy, as hef pointed out).

It's a bit annoying that here in the UK we're mostly pretty behind the US with these shows. Channel 5 has only just started the second part of Gotham s1, and I think we're two or three episodes behind on Arrow/Flash as well.

On Arrow/Flash, though, I'm really liking them. Arrow is still keeping up the excellent quality they've had from the start, and while I thought the Flash was a little too cheesy at the start, I think it's settled in really nicely. Yeah it's still that bit lighter than Arrow, but I think it's found its niche and is getting the balance pretty good. I've also really enjoyed the cross overs so far.

On which note, have people been following the news of another spinoff show that will star a team of heroes? Looks like it'll involve Brandon Routh's Atom, and apparently Caity Lotz is meant to be in it as well, so not sure how they're planning to bring her character back to life (unless something has happened in a recent episode that the UK hasn't caught up with yet!). Could be really fun though, I like the richness that these crossovers bring. (EDIT: Oh and although Supergirl is going to be on a different TV network, apparently they're talking about working together to also be in the same universe as Arrow/Flash).

As for Constantine, I thought the first season was solid. Not mind blowing, but it was definitely quite different to the others, and surprisingly full-on horror film style at times. I haven't seen any news either way about cancellation or renewal, but I'd be keen to see more.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »
sooooooooooooo much happened in the last episode of The Flash!  If our UK buddies are behind on the episodes, I feel like I shouldn't talk about it though.

I'll just say:

"I'm sorry, but you have been dead to me for centuries."  Yikes!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »
I'm only watching Constantine out of that list and the first season was fun. I think it needs a little more work at building the episodes and try to be a bit more unpredictable but they can think about that.

Regarding the other shows, I never cared for Green Arrow, the Flash doesn't appeal to me that much and Gotham is Batman without Batman, it might be a good cop show but to me it will always lack Batman and that makes it very unappealing.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
sooooooooooooo much happened in the last episode of The Flash!  If our UK buddies are behind on the episodes, I feel like I shouldn't talk about it though.
Don't worry about it too much, if I was that bothered I could avoid this thread. If they are really major spoilers then maybe put them in small text or something, but don't feel that you can't post them!

I never cared for Green Arrow
I never really knew anything about Green Arrow, but the TV show really is very good. Definitely has a lot in common with Batman, what with the lack of superpowers and everything.

I would recommend you checking out the first season, and if you're not digging it then fair enough, but I really think it's worth a try.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
the thing that grinds my gears about The Flash is the mixing of Barry Allen and Wally West characters, plots, enemies, etc.  The Flash is my favorite comic character of all time, so I am probably more sensitive to it than most.  I know that the TV shows tend to stray the most from the comics, so it was to be expected.  And I haven't followed the comics in probably 5 or 6 years, so who knows what they are doing now.  The transition of the Flash mantle from Barry to Wally was handled well in the comics with Barry dying a hero's death and Wally carrying on his name out of respect, shakily at first, but ultimately becoming every bit the hero his mentor was, more so than any other sidekick had done.  So when Wally was ingloriously dumped from the DC roster, I just lost interest.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »
having said that, I can get past it and I really do enjoy the show!
Winger would be better!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »

I'll just say:

"I'm sorry, but you have been dead to me for centuries."  Yikes!
My goodness, what a full episode!  Lots of stuff to like!

And also a small hope ruined for me.  But I shall live on.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
the thing that grinds my gears about The Flash is the mixing of Barry Allen and Wally West characters, plots, enemies, etc.  The Flash is my favorite comic character of all time, so I am probably more sensitive to it than most.  I know that the TV shows tend to stray the most from the comics, so it was to be expected.  And I haven't followed the comics in probably 5 or 6 years, so who knows what they are doing now.  The transition of the Flash mantle from Barry to Wally was handled well in the comics with Barry dying a hero's death and Wally carrying on his name out of respect, shakily at first, but ultimately becoming every bit the hero his mentor was, more so than any other sidekick had done.  So when Wally was ingloriously dumped from the DC roster, I just lost interest.
Interesting, didn't know any of that. I'm not a big comic reader (just Watchmen and Sandman, and a little bit of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) so aren't really clued in with how things work in the comics.

That said, what I like about these TV shows and movies (from both DC and Marvel) is how they use the source material but change things around and tell their own stories. I think they are very much separate stories based on mostly the same characters. And I think that works in their favour.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »
Ok so it turns out we're only actually just over a week behind in the UK (for Flash/Arrow) - in the US you had a gap of a couple of weeks that we didn't have here, so we've caught up a bit (unless we're about to have a gap too, which would suck [EDIT: Awesome, no gap!]).

Looking forward to next week in that case!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
if you've enjoyed the show up til this point, you'll really like it.  Lots of cool stuff!
Winger would be better!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 03:59:43 AM »
Still need to catch this week's Arrow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 05:03:13 AM »
I'm up to date with both shows and both are so strong.  CW is stepping up their game for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 05:03:51 AM »
I'm up to date with both shows and both are so strong.  CW is stepping up their game for sure.
What do you think of this team-up show that on the way?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 05:11:19 AM »
I like it.  Marvel has set the standard that should have been done years ago with the cross pollination of story lines. The one thing that I'm unsure of is the original Canary will be in it?  I can only assume through flashbacks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 05:13:01 AM »
What do you think of this team-up show that on the way?
I'm all for it. The way they've kept Arrow and The Flash as strong, distinct shows in their own right but with some great overlap has, I think, worked really well so far, so I'm looking forward to more of that. It'll depend on how good the characters are though. I'm already liking Ray Palmer so that's a good start, and if indeed Caity Lotz does return (somehow) as the original Black Canary then that could be great as I really liked her as well.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »
I agree, I am looking forward to it.  Hopefully they bring in Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, or Ambush Bug.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks WB/DC is dropping the ball by keeping the film universe separate from TV?  They are having great success with these TV shows; I think it is a real missed opportunity to recast these roles for the films.  Plus, the guy they cast as the Flash for the films looks as heroic as my big toe.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:42 AM »
There's a stigma that movies never use the TV actors for their movies.  Maybe there has been one but of the top of my head, I can't remember one.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 05:24:48 AM »
Yeah I think it's a bit silly. I mean, I get that the TV shows are including some of their big characters who they also want to make films of. And if they used the same actors, they'd have to tie the film into the TV show whereas they probably want to tell standalone stories in the movies. But still, I agree that they're missing a trick.

I also thought Stephen Amell was spot on when he said that WB was a bit dickish announcing who would be playing the Flash in the movies the same week as the TV show premiered. Hugely risked playing down the cast of the show. Fortunately the show seems to have proved itself, but it could have gone the other way.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 05:35:33 AM »
Yeah I think it's a bit silly. I mean, I get that the TV shows are including some of their big characters who they also want to make films of. And if they used the same actors, they'd have to tie the film into the TV show whereas they probably want to tell standalone stories in the movies. But still, I agree that they're missing a trick.
Yeah.  It seems they are desperate to have the same success with a shared universe that Marvel had had, but they are not following the examples of what Marvel has actually done to get there.  I get that they can't do an exact follow, because then it would just be seen as a ripoff, but it is kind of a ripoff, anyway.

I also thought Stephen Amell was spot on when he said that WB was a bit dickish announcing who would be playing the Flash in the movies the same week as the TV show premiered. Hugely risked playing down the cast of the show. Fortunately the show seems to have proved itself, but it could have gone the other way.
Yeah, he was exactly right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Can we also discuss the DC animated movies in here? I think it's by far the best DC has come up with in terms of translating the comics to a TV Screen. If you haven't watched any of them then there's tons of fun waiting for you!

I personally recommend Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and Justice League: War
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
Can we also discuss the DC animated movies in here? I think it's by far the best DC has come up with in terms of translating the comics to a TV Screen. If you haven't watched any of them then there's tons of fun waiting for you!

I personally recommend Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and Justice League: War
Are those straight adaptations of actual comic stories?