Author Topic: Writers Unite!  (Read 8308 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Writers Unite!
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »
I would be up for it any other time. I've never done a nano, but would a site like that work outside the "camp dates?" As in, could we set up our own group on there whenever we wanted?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2015, 12:59:23 AM »
I think not, although they have another date for July. But I can let you come in if you just want to chat and give some moral support ;D .

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2015, 01:13:45 AM »
I would consider that, and if I do get any progress I could post it.

Sacul, care to share a little about your fantasy world, either on here or as a private message? I'm in the midst of developing my own, like 8-10 years in the making. I find that I continually go more and more in depth the further along I get. At first I just made a map, then as I wrote I wanted more, so I expanded about 10x. Then I realized I wanted history for it, so while I was making Bries history points I was like "well shit, I need languages to explain how things were named." Ive created the barebones of one language (very basic), and have gone into much more depth with history than I was planning too. All this planning will pay off in the end, but its a little overwhelming now, especially since I've basically stopped all "actual writing" while this is an ongoing process.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
I am currently working on the first book in a six-part fantasy book series. It's a story that has been with me for many years, and has evolved from a bunch of goofy child-friendly short stories into a massive, serious, and quite complex story. I'm predicting that I'll end up with maybe 800 pages or more per book, with the first one containing maybe 70 chapters or so. It will probably take most of my life to finish, but it's great fun.

I generally enjoy writing.  I write and record music, and lyrics are an important part of that.  I like the idea of knowing exactly what I'm talking about, but wording it in a way that shrouds it in mystery for anyone but me.  oooooh.

Also, this. This is pretty much exactly how I write my song lyrics. I write all the lyrics for the music that I do for my own solo stuff, and I am also so far the "main lyrical contributor" of the band I'm in.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
Sacul, care to share a little about your fantasy world, either on here or as a private message? I'm in the midst of developing my own, like 8-10 years in the making. I find that I continually go more and more in depth the further along I get. At first I just made a map, then as I wrote I wanted more, so I expanded about 10x. Then I realized I wanted history for it, so while I was making Bries history points I was like "well shit, I need languages to explain how things were named." Ive created the barebones of one language (very basic), and have gone into much more depth with history than I was planning too. All this planning will pay off in the end, but its a little overwhelming now, especially since I've basically stopped all "actual writing" while this is an ongoing process.
Yeez, that's really impressive. I just hope you manage to pour it all into a novel someday ;D .

My world has gone trough some serious transformations on the last year or so, because I wanted to do something really different to what has been done out there. But this is how it looks like now. The technology level is similar to Steampunk, with machines and inventions from the 18th-19th century, fueled with Crystal Refractors, a rare, expensive, but extremely efficient source of energy. There are big cities, trains, proto-cars, flying boats, and lots of crazy stuff. But isn't victorian, nor it has any of its stylistic features. There are still kings, and the social system is pretty much feudal, because capitalism was never created nor big merchants have powerful positions (with a few exceptions).

Thus, the division from countryside and city is huge - nobles that feed into self-indulgence, and rural people, who aren't exactly poor, but fear cities, for they seem from other world. Religion isn't as widespread as in usually fantasy, and there are 4 main religions, but there's also a huge amount of atheists, mainly citizens.

And the Diggers. A quite selective Guild that looks for refractors on old ruins, and keep these safe from raiders and fortune-seekers. Although independent, they're associated with the Academy, the main center for science and magic. 'Cause just kings and Queens can afford the Refractors, the Academy produces and sells expensive imitations, intended for the high society, and cheap ones,for those small rural towns that understand the value of this technology on the long term.

I'm still not sure about the magic system. By one hand, I could perfectly manage a world without magic at all, but on the other, there's some great stuff magic allows me to do. What I wrote for the last NaNo was something like in Avatar (the animated series), which people who can use nature elements, but more than the 4 basics, and can only manage those around them - they can't "channel" nor create fire for instance. But can move fire from a hearth or a candle.

And that's the short version - I could go on and on :lol .

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
That's interesting, I would definitely check that out.

in my world, magic is fairly unimportant (at this time). It is controlled by gemstones that are tied into a persons life force, and someone can only use one type of magic (eg: ruby for attacking magic). Initially, magic was more widespread but was then harnessed to try to minimize the worldwide affect, so only those who go to a "college" can learn to use magic, but they must stay at the college too because it acts as the main defensive point from a bad part of the world. So magic is basically nonexistent outside of the college, aside from magical items which are exported out. I think having it that way gives me a potential plot arc in the future, since releasing magic would be a world changing event.

One idea I have been kicking around lately, is to get someone on board with me to be co-creators of this world. There's so much work to be done with the histories of all the people and all the corners of the land, that I think it would be nice to have someone to split it with. Not to mention, the world I've created is so big i could easily never write in certain parts because my characters just don't get there, so to have another author on board to flesh those areas out and write in them is intriguing. The problem with this, however, is im not one to easily give up credit for something I've spent nearly half my life working on. That may sound petty, but a big part of me wants to ask people to come on board with me, but the smaller part that doesn't want to give up my world is much more stubborn.  :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »
Thanks! At some pointI thought something similar: what if someday, somebody discovers a source of magic? Will he use it to rule? To spread justice around the world? Or what if she just studied and experimented with it? What if somehow lots of people gain these magic powers from one day to other? It should be intereting to write something like that :P .

And about your fantasy world, I get that feeling. You want to share it and let people play with it, but at the same time keep a part for yourself, because of all the efforts you put in and how much it means to you. If you join us in April and/or July, I'd be pleased to work on some characters or whatever you need.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
Unfortunately I haven't got much actual writing done since my last post in this thread, due to some various events including the laptop I use crapping out on me (thankfully I use a backup service, and the harddrive was salvageable anyway).

I have done a lot of work developing my world though... I wish I was a better cartographer :lol. I've got a set of maps right now that I'm fairly comfortable with but they're not extremely detailed. I've also written some more historical information mostly for my own benefit.

Recently I started reworking the whole beginning of the novel though, since it was pretty bad and confusing. The overall structure of the story I had envisioned has had a few changes, too.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:44 AM »
Are you guys okay with showing your fantasy maps? I always think that is really interesting to see how people have formed their worlds, and fictional geography has always fascinated me. If you prefer to keep them to yourselves that's fine too, and I can understand that.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2015, 03:22:03 AM »
After the death of my mother, I've taken a few months off to grieve, to provide support to my family, and to generally sort things out. 

After having a really cool/weird dream involving Dean Koontz and Stephen King, I woke with two paragraphs for my fifth novel, Proximity.  I know the general plot and a few sub-plots, but that's about it.  The characters and the main theme pretty much write themselves.

"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2015, 03:30:33 AM »
Are you guys okay with showing your fantasy maps? I always think that is really interesting to see how people have formed their worlds, and fictional geography has always fascinated me. If you prefer to keep them to yourselves that's fine too, and I can understand that.

I will post mine when i get a chance.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
I have a nice map on paper, but don't know how to digitalise it :lol . So guys, are you up to Camp NaNo? I've already set a private cabin for us DTFers, so if you wanna join, please post (or send me in a PM) your Camp NaNo usernames so I can add you ;D.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Let's write something this April...
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »
So, you tell me your username on the site, and I'll send you an invitation to join. I hope to gather some people from here - it'd be nuts :hat .

Blackavar
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
I have a nice map on paper, but don't know how to digitalise it :lol . So guys, are you up to Camp NaNo? I've already set a private cabin for us DTFers, so if you wanna join, please post (or send me in a PM) your Camp NaNo usernames so I can add you ;D.

Come on guys, this will be fun!
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2015, 11:45:02 PM »
Join us, whether you're finishing your thesis, or writing an extensive review for an obscure prog blog, or if you just want to write a cheesy 20-page poem for your gf - anything counts :coolio !

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2015, 12:44:02 AM »
kenny0491. I'll try my hardest to participate.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
Cool (I sent you a PM, please check it). Anyone else? :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
What even is Camp Nano?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Let's write something this April...
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Hey guys, considering Camp Nano is near (starts in April), I was wondering if you'd like to participate on it with me. It works like this: there are these cabins, which are small groups (either public, random or criteria generated, or private) of 12 mates who can chat, pretty much like this thread, but only its members can see what's posted. Unlike NaNoWriMo, you can set your own goal, be it finish revision of a draft, or starting a brand new project - it doesn't even need to be a novel.
It's also a way to encourage writing while waiting for NaNoWrimo. Because I really want to return to writing (something I've barely done this year), I thought this was a nice opportunity for us DTF writers to encourage each other, and give us tips and that kind of stuff  :)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
 There are still spots for everyone  ;) .

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2015, 01:41:17 AM »
Sacul, what's happened to ya man? Missing ya in the NaNo, our cabin is falling way behind it's goal, and a miracle has happened because I'm way ahead of schedule! Get your ass writing!  :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »
Starting a video games list along with this NaNo hasn't helped :lol . But I should get in the pace again soon.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
Started the first draft of my third novel yesterday. Already over three thousand words in. Waiting for replies to queries for the second novel, which I finished last month. I've sent out abbout twenty queries and I've only received five or so rejection e-mails. Waiting to see if I get more replies before sending out more queries. In the meantime, I'm just gonna keep writing this new one.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2015, 09:31:06 AM »
Felt like sharing the map I have made for my fantasy series. It's still very much unfinished, as I have a lot left to name and some adjustments to make, but overall I think it turned out pretty well. The series I'm writing takes places mostly on the middle continent and small parts of the western one, but the story never goes to the east.

Thousands of years of backstory/history/mythology existing all over as this has been a world I have lived with for many years, as it usually is with fantasy writers and their worlds.

I'm also still interested to see you guys' worlds, if anyone would like.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
I love maps in general, but I especially love when a book series provides you with a map.   :metal    I used to draw up maps for my eventual fantasy novel but I think I threw them all away.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I have outline a map too, but don't know how to digitalize it. How did you do yours?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2015, 10:24:44 AM »
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I have outline a map too, but don't know how to digitalize it. How did you do yours?

Thanks! Just MS Paint, and lots of time.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how Campaign Cartographer works these days, and mapped out one of the main countries. It's still pretty much unfinished, but I wanted to share it with you ;D .

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »
Looks good, is it easy? What about price?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:08 AM »
Nice, maps are always cool.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2015, 06:59:04 AM »
I wrote 400+ words for the 16th chapter of the first book in my series. It's not very much, but I consider it a win since I haven't written anything at all in quite some time. People are about to die.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
Sorry for spamming this thread, but I tried for fun to make a wikia page for the world of my story. I made a page about something random and thought it turned out pretty cool, so I thought I'd share it with you guys:

https://the-rain.wikia.com/wiki/Arregda%27s_Wall

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
Looks good, is it easy? What about price?
It's fairly easy to use, and it actually has lots of options htat make it *very* customizable. The strongest point is that the "drawing" is done by vectors, like Adobe's Illustrator. And the program includes lots of symbols for mountains, vegetation, roads, rivers, signs, castles, etc. Its really complete. Just see this cool demo.

But it can be a bit expensive. They sell a bundle that includes it along with the City Designer and the Dungeon Designer add-ons, for £69. But you cant get the Campaign Cartographer just for £30. I think its worth it, specially if you love making maps. Just looks at this wonderful creations:

I'm a total noob as you can see :lol .

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
Sorry for spamming this thread, but I tried for fun to make a wikia page for the world of my story. I made a page about something random and thought it turned out pretty cool, so I thought I'd share it with you guys:

https://the-rain.wikia.com/wiki/Arregda%27s_Wall
It looks really nice, specially with the map showing the location of the wall. I might try making a wikia sometime in the future. Once I'm somehow done with worldbuilding ;D .

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2015, 06:16:17 AM »
Phew! Just finished the 16th chapter. My biggest one so far, more than 9'700 words. And also biggest in terms of what happens in it. Now it's just on to the next one.