Author Topic: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 2 - Chino (pg. 5)  (Read 29099 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 1 - Mister Gold (Entry #23)
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
I think that one would be in my Top 10.... that the same episode where Tom Cruise and John Travolta won't come out of the closet?  :smiley:

It will be interesting to see if The Facebook episode makes your Top 25, I think it is my fave. That and Gluten free Ebola is up there too.

Yup, that's the one! It would've been in my Top 10 as late as a year ago, I've loved it for ages, but it's lost some of its impact on me in recent months.

I don't think I've seen The Facebook, actually! So nope, it's not in my list.

I think the Facebook one is called 'You have 0 friends' or something like that....It is a great episode more so if you are surrounded by friends obsessed with facebook. :smiley:

Oh yeah, that episode! I took your comment about "The Facebook" to mean that that was the name of the episode! Nope, it's not in here, at least not for this go-around.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 1 - Mister Gold (My Wishing Tree)
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »

21. The Coon (Season 13, Episode 2)

A bit of a spoiler here, but every Mysterion episode is featured in my list. All three stories in which he has appeared in to date have added a huge depth to one of the show's most underrated characters, Kenny McCormick. Sure, we all love him for his ongoing death gag and muffled voice, but more often than not, Kenny is overshadowed by the other three boys in the main group because of this.

While we weren't originally supposed to know who Mysterion is when this episode first aired, which resulted in some good jokes about the speculation and revealing of his identity, I think the episode got a bit stronger once we knew Mysterion was Kenny. There have been hints at Kenny's heroic nature in preceding stories, like Cartman's Mom is Still a Slut and the South Park movie when he sacrificed himself for the sake of other people, but this is where we really see Kenny take matters into his own hands.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:01:20 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
I haven't seen The Jeffersons episode in a long time, but remember loving it. Also has one of the funnier Kenny deaths. :lol

I do thoroughly enjoy the Mysterion episodes. They breathed a lot of life into the series and I welcomed expanding on Kenny's character.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
I haven't seen The Jeffersons episode in a long time, but remember loving it. Also has one of the funnier Kenny deaths. :lol

It's fantastic! And yes, definitely one of my favorite Kenny deaths. I'm not entirely sure which death of his is my personal favorite.

I do thoroughly enjoy the Mysterion episodes. They breathed a lot of life into the series and I welcomed expanding on Kenny's character.

Completely agreed. They actually went so far as making Kenny my personal favorite character in the show. Gotta love that guy! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Jeffersons  :heart

Offline Mister Gold

• Human

20. Douche and Turd (Season 8, Episode 8)

Ah, politics. How I despise thee! Seriously, the title of this episode is so spot-on, it really hurts. :lol As someone who doesn't really adhere to any one political party, I relate strongly to Stan's plight in this episode. Both sides of the equation have their own pros and cons, but more often than not, your actual options are almost always going to be either a douche or a turd. It sucks.

The other brilliant thing about this episode is the satirization of PETA. That's really all I need to say there, except for this quote...

"Kill... meeee....."

:rollin :rollin
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline masterthes

Loving the countdown so far. Love the Mysterion saga, not as much as Imaginationland though

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Loving the countdown so far. Love the Mysterion saga, not as much as Imaginationland though

Thanks! Well, the Coon episode I've included so far is just the debut episode of him and Mysterion. It has little to do with the Cthulhu trilogy. As for my personal thoughts on it versus Imaginationland... well, both are featured here. That's all I'll say for now.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
"Kill... meeee....."

That "thing" and the song are what makes that episode.  I still sing the song every time there is an election.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
"Kill... meeee....."

That "thing" and the song are what makes that episode.  I still sing the song every time there is an election.

Exactly! :lol :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 1 - Mister Gold (General C. Lee)
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

19. The Red Badge of Gayness (Season 3, Episode 14)

I'll be honest. I'm not sure that this episode would be featured in my Top 25 list if it wasn't for my own connection to Charleston, South Carolina. :lol I think that some of the previous episodes on my list are funnier and probably stronger overall, but at the end of the day, The Red Badge of Gayness takes this spot. Aside from having both lived in and frequently visited Charleston before, I grew up with a pretty decent personal education on the American Civil War from my dad.

While there are plenty of other episodes that show Cartman's genius ability to manipulate others to fulfill his own selfish desires, I've always enjoyed this one because of its historical connections and satire. The idea of resurrecting the Civil War via drunken Confederate re-enactors is genius to me. I especially love the moment when Cartman and Co. invade Fort Sumter (which is located in Charleston) and reinforcements come to Cartman's aid via the South Carolina Militia. As someone who has interacted with a lot of rednecks and country boys, I can't help but picture a lot of familiar faces participating in such a charge.

Oh and this episode has one of my personal favorite Kenny deaths. It's simple, but hilariously effective. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
That's such a great episode. "Yes. This year, I've decided to fight for the glorious South"

BILLY!!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
That's such a great episode. "Yes. This year, I've decided to fight for the glorious South"

BILLY!!

"Alright, Cartman, we'll be your slaves if the South wins the war. But if the North wins, you're gonna be our slave!"

:lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
The Mysterion saga had a solid 2nd episode, and an AMAZING finale with the last two episodes. That said, The Coon is one of the worst episodes in recent years.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 1 - Mister Gold (Boom, baby!)
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »

18. About Last Night... (Season 12, Episode 12)

While Douche and Turd works as a brilliant political satire on how bad our choices generally are, I prefer About Last Night... because it focuses on satirizing rivalry between citizens' political beliefs. While I didn't get to vote for the first time until the 2012 election, I vividly remember the general state of minds that I would run into during the '08 election. While obviously a comedic exaggeration, this episode wasn't very far off from what all was going on at the time. I remember hearing the panic and the bewildering faith in Obama's victory.

This is only half of the episode. The other half is a brilliant parody of Ocean's Eleven, with Obama, McCain and other individuals (including Obama's then newly dead grandmother :lol ) aiming to steal the Hope Diamond via an escape tunnel hidden in the Oval Office.

"Boom, baby!" :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human

17. Fantastic Easter Special (Season 11, Episode 5)

Ah, memories. This episode was where it all started for me. I still remember seeing it for the first time in the spring of 2007 and laughing hysterically at what I was watching. As with the best things in life, this episode has only gotten better with time for me. Watching it as an adolescent middle schooler, I loved Fantastic Easter Special because it was a hilarious parody of The Da Vinci Code. Watching it as an adult though... well, it's even better.

Religion is just as sensitive and nuanced a subject as politics is. As someone who has gone on to visit multiple ends of the spectrum as to what I personally believe in since I first watched this episode, I actually understand the real meaning behind it now and have a much better appreciation for it too. The case has been made before that if Jesus were alive and well today, he'd probably be at odds with many iterations of the Church(es) that follow his teachings and Fantastic Easter Special shows that in spades, resurrecting the Jesus character from his death in Red Sleigh Down to take on the Catholic Church, Blade-style.

Quote of the Episode:
Sanctum Peter Cottium
Deus in re unium
hippitus hoppitus Deus Domine

In suus via torreum
Lepus in re sanctum
hippitus hoppitus Deus Domine
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Fantastic Easter Special is probably the first episode on this list that I haven't seen. Gotta give it a watch sometime.

About Last Night was great. :tup A funny little take on the campaign and all the ridiculousness surrounding the time.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Fantastic Easter Special is probably the first episode on this list that I haven't seen. Gotta give it a watch sometime.

About Last Night was great. :tup A funny little take on the campaign and all the ridiculousness surrounding the time.

Check it out, it's phenomenal! :tup

I was amazed that no one responded to my post on About Last Night. It was such a great episode. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 1 - Mister Gold (My Precious)
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »

16. The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (Season 6, Episode 13)

Unlike most kids of my generation, I vastly preferred Lord of the Rings over the Harry Potter series growing up. I still do. Thanks to the encouragement and support of my father, as well as the excitement I felt after watching the first film in Peter Jackson's adaptation, I was slowly working my way through Tolkien's literature in-between third and fourth grade. I spent many a lunch or dinner with my dad just chattering away with him about Tolkien's work, understanding it better and better with time and also just speculating what all they might keep in and what might be changed in the films.

Fittingly enough, in line with this episode, he also didn't really tell me much of anything about sex. :lol Whenever the subject came up as I got older, he'd just mumble his way through it and just repeat the rudimentary basics. I had a huge laugh thinking about it while watching this episode for the first time. This episode not only satirizes one of my all-time favorite stories, but it also acts as a great commentary on how parents struggle in properly communicating a subject such as sex to their children.

Quote of the Episode:
"We're playing Harry Potter!"
"HA!"
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline masterthes

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
Was hoping to see that one. Being a LOTR nerd, I absolutely loved this one

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
A really well done parody of TLotR. Awesome episode.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human

15. The Poor Kid (Season 15, Episode 14)

As I mentioned earlier in the countdown, all three Mysterion stories are featured in my list. This one was originally ranked a little higher in the list, but I took it down to Number 15 after recognizing that the Penn State jokes got old really fast. Aside from that though, this episode is yet another window into my favorite character on the show, Kenny McCormick.

Mysterion isn't just Kenny's vehicle to fight crime; it's his way of protecting his little sister. As an older brother myself, I really find that relatable. It was wonderful to see that protective aspect through one of my favorite characters. Aside from Mysterion/Kenny himself, the episode also does a hilarious job at satirizing agnostics.

Oh and this episode has quite possibly the most random, yet hilarious Kenny death ever.

Quote of the Episode:
"It was like some sort of Agnostic angel..."
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Love this one. My favorite part is the scene in the basement when they hose down the kid with Dr. Pepper (an agnostic drink, neither Soda nor Cola  :lol). The 'fundamental agnosticism' was also hilarious. Definitely one of the best episodes of the last few years.

I was still in Middle School (or maybe just starting High School) when this episode came out. I remember learning so many new Yo Mamma jokes from this episode.  :lol How far I've come since then...

Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Love this one. My favorite part is the scene in the basement when they hose down the kid with Dr. Pepper (an agnostic drink, neither Soda nor Cola  :lol). The 'fundamental agnosticism' was also hilarious. Definitely one of the best episodes of the last few years.

I was still in Middle School (or maybe just starting High School) when this episode came out. I remember learning so many new Yo Mamma jokes from this episode.  :lol How far I've come since then...

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. :lol As I said before though, I really enjoyed the random Kenny death at the end of the episode. It's so priceless. :rollin

I think I was in my first or second year of community college when I first saw it. It wasn't too long ago for me. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The Top 25 South Park Episodes Thread v. 1 - Mister Gold (Japan)
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »

14. Chinpokomon (Season 3, Episode 11)

This is my dad's favorite episode and it's not hard to see why it's awesome. This is a hilarious and spot-on presentation of what kids of the late 90's/early 00's were like with the sudden rise of Pokemon. To kids, it was strange, wild and lovable. To the parents, it was just strange.

My dad and I both agree that the best part of the episode though is the live action Japanese receptionist girl you see in the commercials through out the episode. Having lived in Japan for five years, I can confirm that plenty of Japanese commercials are like that.

Quote of the Episode:
"That's sweet, Dad. Now let me tell you how the real world works..."
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
Chinpokomon might be in my top 8.

"I spoke with Mr. Hirohito this morning, and he assured me that I have a very large penis. He said it was mammoth, dinosauric, and absolutely dwarfed his penis, which, he assured me, was nearly microscopic in size. My penis, he said, was most likely one of the biggest on the planet. I applaud Mr. Hirohito in his honesty."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
Chinpokomon might be in my top 8.

"I spoke with Mr. Hirohito this morning, and he assured me that I have a very large penis. He said it was mammoth, dinosauric, and absolutely dwarfed his penis, which, he assured me, was nearly microscopic in size. My penis, he said, was most likely one of the biggest on the planet. I applaud Mr. Hirohito in his honesty."

I like it a lot, but I prefer Good Times with Weapons when it comes to South Park-meets-Anime.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline masterthes

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
Love Chinpokomon. That was when the show was really hitting it's stride

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »
Gonna echo the praise for this episode. Their take on Pokemon's popularity was both hilarious and insightful. :lol Which can be said for a lot of South Park episodes.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »
*snip*

That's my favorite Pokemon!  :lol

I love this episode. "Chinpokomon figures are SO yesterday. Nobody plays with them anymore. It is now all about the Chinpokomon video game, with its special controller". Kyle's attempts to keep up with the fad while not understanding why others like it is the highlight of the episode. As one who loved (and still loves) Pokemon, this episode is among South Park's most memorable.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
I love the "You Americans have very big penis" parts

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »
I watched Seasons 1 through 15 about six months back. I'd only periodically watched the show, so most of it was new to me.

Of the ones mentioned so far, the Jeffersons, the LOTR one, and the Scientology one were also in my favourites.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
I watched Seasons 1 through 15 about six months back. I'd only periodically watched the show, so most of it was new to me.

Of the ones mentioned so far, the Jeffersons, the LOTR one, and the Scientology one were also in my favourites.

Out of curiosity since you were fairly new to the show and just went through it all, what is your opinion on the quality of the show as it went from season 1 through 15?  I wonder if its different than someone who has watched since episode 1.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
Must bomb the harbor.

so small