Author Topic: The Latest Album Is Starting To Grow On Me!  (Read 2837 times)

Offline MiracleSleeper

The Latest Album Is Starting To Grow On Me!
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
I was very disappointed when "Dream Theater" was first released. I felt none of the songs had that special "kick" that I was looking for. But now... by the grace of Gawd... I'm starting to really dig the songs!  :metal

Offline JiM-Xtreme

Re: The Latest Album Is Starting To Grow On Me!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
I still don't think it's anything special as an album, but for me there are definitely moments of sheer brilliance sprinkled throughout. I'm sure I'd put Looking Glass up in my top 15-20, maybe higher. I also get a kick out of Enigma Machine whenever I hear it... still don't really care for The Enemy Inside. A year down the line, the album's still a mixed bag for me.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »
by the grace of Gawd...

EVERYONE SURVIVED
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
Illumination Theory and The Bigger Picture are worth the price of the album. Both are fantastic pieces of music that belong up there with all-time DT classics.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
by the grace of Gawd...

EVERYONE SURVIVED
HRAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

I hate that section so much, yet strangely enough, I love it due to its comical genius lol.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
by the grace of Gawd...

EVERYONE SURVIVED
HRAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

I hate that section so much, yet strangely enough, I love it due to its comical genius lol.

It's ROAAAAAAAAAR acutally  :rollin :lol :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »

It's ROAAAAAAAAAR acutally  :rollin :lol :rollin

I always thought it was Kevin MOOOOAAAR!!!, but there ya go!

I must admit, I don't listen to DT12 very often, but when I am listening to it, I keep thinking how great the songs are.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
Good songs but still wish that they used a different snare drum though :(

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
I found it strange that this album has the most entries in my top 50, but it is ranked eighth in terms of DT albums.

Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
I found it strange that this album has the most entries in my top 50, but it is ranked eighth in terms of DT albums.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
by the grace of Gawd...

EVERYONE SURVIVED

*inhales deeply*

roar c:

The album continues to grow on me as well but it still lands in the middle of the pack in terms of DT albums.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
The album continues to grow on me as well but it still lands in the middle of the pack in terms of DT albums.
Exactly my sentiments.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
by the grace of Gawd...

EVERYONE SURVIVED
HRAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

This sums up exactly how I feel about that section! I fucking love/hate it! :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »

I suppose that just shows it's consistently average. Which isn't a bad thing, average get's taken out of context these days.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Yeah, it's the only DT album - besides SFAM - that I always listen to in its entirety and don't habitually skip songs.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Yeah, it's the only DT album - besides SFAM - that I always listen to in its entirety and don't habitually skip songs.

I find DT12 the easiest album to sit through. Although, it's tied for first in my case. :P

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

DT12 lies near the middle of my rankings for DT, but I think that speaks less about the album itself and more about the rest of DT's amazing output.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »
HD version wins but the snare stops it from being a top tier album for me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
Agree. The snare still bothers me.

I mean, the intro to The Bigger Picture's snare hits sound so dry, upfront and artificial that it takes away from the whole thing. It's a real shame, because that's one of the best songs they've done ever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
It doesn't work *at all* on Along For The Ride. It's a really gentle song and then this big booming muddy boingy sounding snare thumps all over it.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

DT12 lies near the middle of my rankings for DT, but I think that speaks less about the album itself and more about the rest of DT's amazing output.

Well, yes of course. Any DT album is pretty great in terms of general music, DT12 was in my top 3 albums of 2013. Heck even WDADU is pretty good prog rock/metal in my book. DT12 isn't bad or mediocre by all means, just "not as good."

Which brings up another point, that it's kind of a shame that whatever DT does now will always be compared to their previous output. I guess that's what an amazing discography does for a band lasting as long as Dream Theater, though.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
Well, yes of course. Any DT album is pretty great in terms of general music, DT12 was in my top 3 albums of 2013. Heck even WDADU is pretty good prog rock/metal in my book. DT12 isn't bad or mediocre by all means, just "not as good."

Which brings up another point, that it's kind of a shame that whatever DT does now will always be compared to their previous output. I guess that's what an amazing discography does for a band lasting as long as Dream Theater, though.

Yeah, but let's face it, wherever there is greatness, this will always happen. "It's a good Iron Maiden album, but not as good as their stuff in the 80s," "It's a good Pixar movie, but not as good as Toy Story," etc. Honestly, I don't always agree with these things. Frankly, I think Iron Maiden has a few albums recently that are as good as the best stuff they did in the 80s.
But yeah, it would be nice if things could just be judged based on their own merits a little more often.
That being said, DT12's merits are phenomenal. I loved it from the moment I heard it, but the more I hear, the more little nuances I pick up and the more I grow to like it and appreciate it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »

Yeah, but let's face it, wherever there is greatness, this will always happen. "It's a good Iron Maiden album, but not as good as their stuff in the 80s," "It's a good Pixar movie, but not as good as Toy Story," etc. Honestly, I don't always agree with these things. Frankly, I think Iron Maiden has a few albums recently that are as good as the best stuff they did in the 80s.
But yeah, it would be nice if things could just be judged based on their own merits a little more often.
That being said, DT12's merits are phenomenal. I loved it from the moment I heard it, but the more I hear, the more little nuances I pick up and the more I grow to like it and appreciate it.
Off-topic... but did you make your avi? It's phenomenal.

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I made it. I used this old program called Jasc Animation Shop, which has some cool morphing effects on it.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
It's a great album, but maybe in the next DVD you get that superb great drum sound as in BTFW so I'd enjoy more the live versions of The Bigger Picture, behind The Veil and Surrender To Reason (that is, if they play it on the next tour and a DVD will be shot, but I hope highly so as the whole band is on fire at the moment especially LaBrie and Mangini).  :metal

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »

That's true it can really be applied to anything. I agree, it's basic nature to compare to past greatness in an effort to recreate the feeling that past greatness gave us. But the more I listen to DT12 the more I see it for itself, which definitely makes it a better album when you drop the comparisons.

It actually gave me a funny thought, imagine DT12 as their debut and WDADU was their 12th album  :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

That's true it can really be applied to anything. I agree, it's basic nature to compare to past greatness in an effort to recreate the feeling that past greatness gave us. But the more I listen to DT12 the more I see it for itself, which definitely makes it a better album when you drop the comparisons.

It actually gave me a funny thought, imagine DT12 as their debut and WDADU was their 12th album  :lol

For me, that would mean their debut is better than every album they release until SDOIT. :P

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

Wasn't that the subject of a thread somewhere on here?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
Agree. The snare still bothers me.

I mean, the intro to The Bigger Picture's snare hits sound so dry, upfront and artificial that it takes away from the whole thing. It's a real shame, because that's one of the best songs they've done ever.

Yeah, the very first snare hit sounding completely different is bothersome, but as a whole, the snare sound doesn't bother me. It's a little too "thick", but it could be worse.

The snare on A Change of Seasons is really weak to me, and I think it sounds worse than on DT12.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
by the grace of Gawd...

EVERYONE SURVIVED
RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, FANATIC OBSESSIONS

Seriously tho, I dig this album to death. Among my favorites

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:56 AM »
"The Latest Album Is Starting To Grow On Me!"

== >> IT'S ABOUT FUCK :censored TIME!! :corn :metal :lol
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 06:42:12 AM »
Illumination Theory and The Bigger Picture are worth the price of the album. Both are fantastic pieces of music that belong up there with all-time DT classics.

This is pretty much how I feel. I still don't have all that much affinity for the rest of the album, and rarely listen to it, but those two songs are excellent.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
I love the album,it's one of the few DT albums I can listen to all the way through without skipping any tracks,But,that's just me.