Author Topic: A Curious Question v. What would you have done?  (Read 7380 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: A Curious Question v. What would you have done?
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
I would probably at least communicate with them instead of ignore them.  If it turned out it really was someone who needed help, and I found out later that they took a turn for the worse, I would feel awful.

Yeah, that's what I would probably do too. I find that making conversation with people that I run into seems to cheer them up/brighten up their day most of the time, so if a stranger came to my door and asked for help, I'd start by talking with them and try to decide whether to let them in based on how that goes.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
I guess my feeling is almost everyone has a cell phone so its pretty easy to make a phone call for help. I personally would not walk up to an unlit house in the dark and ring the bell. That's just me. I have a phone. I have AAA.
In all likelihood he was not looking for help, he was soliciting some kind of service.
At the end of the day as Podar said, its not a requirement to answer your door. I chose not to.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
I guess my feeling is almost everyone has a cell phone so its pretty easy to make a phone call for help. I personally would not walk up to an unlit house in the dark and ring the bell. That's just me. I have a phone. I have AAA.
What if you had spotty service, or your phone was dead?  Or something had happened to your phone?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
What if you had spotty service, or your phone was dead?  Or something had happened to your phone?

Yeah. For example, I ran into trouble a few years back when I had appendicitis on Valentine's Day. My mom and I figured something might be wrong, since I had woken up in pain, so she told me to call her by 9 or 10 am after my first class if the pain continued. But when it came time for me to call her, I discovered that my phone had died already, even though I had spent the whole night charging it.

It took several hours for me to find someone who would let me borrow their phone and by then, I had to wait until 5 pm for my mom to come and get me. It ended up being a close call, since my appendix was apparently really close to erupting when I had surgery that night. I only made it in time because someone ended up lending me their phone.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
I don't have to worry about answering the door, because my dog is going to be barking so loudly that whoever is at the door is not going to want to stick around for long.  Even if I did open the door, my dog will still bark at unannounced visitors and thus cause some unneeded headaches that is not worthwhile.  It's for the best, honestly.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »

I had to once ring the doorbells of most of the houses on my street (most of whose inhabitants I don't know) because UPS had misdelivered a package. I guess your house would have been the "why the f**k doesn't he answer; the lights are on." house.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »

I had to once ring the doorbells of most of the houses on my street (most of whose inhabitants I don't know) because UPS had misdelivered a package. I guess your house would have been the "why the f**k doesn't he answer; the lights are on." house.
I guess so, and I don't give a fuck. It will work out without me answering my front door. Not my problem. Leave a note and I'll get back to ya.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
I will quote myself, since you didn't respond to it before and you mentioned the phone thing again :p

The problem with this assumption is that cell phones die all the time, or people forget them, or whatever. I've locked my keys in my car twice. Both times, I also locked my phone in there. Both times, I had to borrow someone else's phone to call State Farm roadside assistance. Luckily it was daytime and in one case I was at the store so I just used theirs, but if I had been in a residential neighborhood I would've had to count on someone's kindness/willingness to open the door.

And like hef said, if you don't have reception that's another issue as well.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
I blame A Clockwork Orange for this whole thing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
I also feel like mentioning to all those who want to paint me as a guy who has no desire to help a person in need of help that I don’t live in a cabin in the woods where a poor soul in need would have to walk miles to the nearest house. A 5 minute walk down the street brings you to convenience stores, fast food, supermarkets, etc…
All the help you need!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2014, 04:54:32 AM »
I also feel like mentioning to all those who want to paint me as a guy who has no desire to help a person in need of help that I don’t live in a cabin in the woods where a poor soul in need would have to walk miles to the nearest house. A 5 minute walk down the street brings you to convenience stores, fast food, supermarkets, etc…
All the help you need!
OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »
Dats srite!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »
So its 7:30pm and pitch black out and faint knock comes on the door. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is this thread  :lol

Well, my neighbor who is a good friend, will occasionally come over to return something or whatever, so I thought it was him and opened the door.

There stands a super creepy looking dude who called himself "brian". Said he was working to unite people in effort to save creek water or some shit. He's got a clipboard he wants me to look at "his goals" and I'm like no thanks, shut the door and turn off the light fairly abruptly.

WTF people. Pitch black out and coming to my front door with this stuff. Geez

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »
I thought of this thread the other night! There was a friendly knock at my door and I assumed it was my neighbor across the hall who I talk to a lot (we live in a secure building so you rarely get knocks without a buzz from downstairs first). I was in my underwear, so I yelled "Hold on a sec!" and grabbed my robe. Well, turns out it wasn't my neighbor, it was some dude. I had already spoken so he knew I was home, so I opened the door a little. He was trying to get me to talk about who I was voting for and sign a pledge. I told him I'd rather not discuss it and had filled out most of my ballot already so there was no need to sign a pledge. He then revealed he had a neighborhood quota to reach. I told him sorry, but I did not feel comfortable signing it. He looked surprised but thanked me and went on his way. I'm tired of being overly nice to people. It was at least 8PM, he somehow got into my secure building, and I was in my goddamn underwear. Bastard.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2014, 04:42:30 AM »
What an asshole.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »
I thought of this thread the other night! There was a friendly knock at my door and I assumed it was my neighbor across the hall who I talk to a lot (we live in a secure building so you rarely get knocks without a buzz from downstairs first). I was in my underwear, so I yelled "Hold on a sec!" and grabbed my robe. Well, turns out it wasn't my neighbor, it was some dude. I had already spoken so he knew I was home, so I opened the door a little. He was trying to get me to talk about who I was voting for and sign a pledge. I told him I'd rather not discuss it and had filled out most of my ballot already so there was no need to sign a pledge. He then revealed he had a neighborhood quota to reach. I told him sorry, but I did not feel comfortable signing it. He looked surprised but thanked me and went on his way. I'm tired of being overly nice to people. It was at least 8PM, he somehow got into my secure building, and I was in my goddamn underwear. Bastard.

Sounds like the start of a pron movie.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
Thanks to those who helped confirm why I don't answer for door for strangers ringing my bell and standing in the pitch back of my porch. 99 out of a 100 times its some asshole not worth answering the door for.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »

Sounds like the start of a pron movie.
bow chicka bow wow!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »
Thanks to those who helped confirm why I don't answer for door for strangers ringing my bell and standing in the pitch back of my porch. 99 out of a 100[citation needed] times its some asshole not worth answering the door for.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2014, 06:55:52 AM »
Thanks to those who helped confirm why I don't answer for door for strangers ringing my bell and standing in the pitch back of my porch. 99 out of a 100[citation needed] times its some asshole not worth answering the door for.

Maybe put a light on the porch?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »

I have one but I'm not putting on so I can just ignore the person standing in dark.  Just want him to keep moving on.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »

I have one but I'm not putting on so I can just ignore the person standing in dark.  Just want him to keep moving on.

You can ignore a person with the porch light on just as easily as when it is off.  Keeping it on is safer as it allows you to actually see who is on the porch, as well as let them know they can be seen too.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2014, 01:08:02 PM »

You can ignore a person with the porch light on just as easily as when it is off.  Keeping it on is safer as it allows you to actually see who is on the porch, as well as let them know they can be seen too.
I guess my point is, the light was already off when he rang so I'm not at that point going to flip it on so the dude thinks I'm answering the door.

"Here ya go dude, here's some light for ya while ya stand there for nothing cause I ain't answering. Enjoy your light, then get the fuck out."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
"Here ya go dude, here's some light for ya while ya stand there for nothing cause I ain't answering. Enjoy your light, then get the fuck out."
I don't know, I'd do that if I had a porch and a light :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
I don't know, I'd do that if I had a porch and a light :lol
It would be delightfully evil! :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2014, 06:35:58 PM »
Okay, since other people are sharing stories now, here's a weird one.

We'd just moved into our new house a few months earlier.  The doorbell rings at 10:00 at night.  I glance at my wife, tell her to grab the phone and be ready to dial 911.

It's my neighbor, the weird dude who lives next door.  We'd met right we moved in.  Not scary or anything, but he's obviously foreign-born, speaks English but heavily accented, and just has a different way about him.  It's night time and cold (first snow of the year) so I open the front door but leave the storm door closed.  He yells through it "Excuse me!  Do you have seventy-five dollars?"

I'm thinking "what the fuck...?"  But this is my neighbor, literally lives 50 feet from me, and if he's knocking on my door 10:00 at night asking for money, maybe he's in some kind of trouble or there's some kind of emergency.

I check my wallet.  As usual, pretty much nothing.  :(  "Sorry man, no I don't."

"Well, in that case, you better move your car.  It's snowing.  If the plows come and you're on the street, you'll get a $75 ticket."  He turns and starts walking away.

I take a second to process all this, then push the door open and yell "Thanks!" at him.  He waves, and he wanders back over to his house.  Interesting way to educate your neighbors, but it worked.  I got my shoes and coat on and moved the car onto the driveway.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
Haha

Now that guy's a cool dude.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Several years ago, I lived in one of the most dangerous areas of Oklahoma City (yes, OKC has dangerous areas). The rougher part was the back of the complex. I lived up front, next to the major street, but I still kept to myself and made sure not to start shit with anyone, even accidentally.

Parking was sparse because some of the tenants would live five or six to an apartment for cheaper rent. Because of this, some people were often forced to park alongside the wooden fence that surrounded the complex. Said fence had a very obvious "no parking, violators will be towed" sign.

One night, probably around 10 or 11, the tow truck was making his rounds. Sure enough, someone was parked next to the fence, so their car was in the process of being hooked up to the truck. One of the tenants thought he would be a Good Samaritan, so he started knocking on random doors, trying to find the owner so he could warn them. He knocked on the wrong door and was promptly shot in the face.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2014, 11:15:59 PM »
Damn! :omg:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »
'murica

(someone was going to say it, might as well get it out of the way)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2014, 06:09:38 AM »
Okay, since other people are sharing stories now, here's a weird one.

We'd just moved into our new house a few months earlier.  The doorbell rings at 10:00 at night.  I glance at my wife, tell her to grab the phone and be ready to dial 911.

It's my neighbor, the weird dude who lives next door.  We'd met right we moved in.  Not scary or anything, but he's obviously foreign-born, speaks English but heavily accented, and just has a different way about him.  It's night time and cold (first snow of the year) so I open the front door but leave the storm door closed.  He yells through it "Excuse me!  Do you have seventy-five dollars?"

I'm thinking "what the fuck...?"  But this is my neighbor, literally lives 50 feet from me, and if he's knocking on my door 10:00 at night asking for money, maybe he's in some kind of trouble or there's some kind of emergency.

I check my wallet.  As usual, pretty much nothing.  :(  "Sorry man, no I don't."

"Well, in that case, you better move your car.  It's snowing.  If the plows come and you're on the street, you'll get a $75 ticket."  He turns and starts walking away.

I take a second to process all this, then push the door open and yell "Thanks!" at him.  He waves, and he wanders back over to his house.  Interesting way to educate your neighbors, but it worked.  I got my shoes and coat on and moved the car onto the driveway.
That's bizarre.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »
Well, its about 7:30pm, pitch black out and pouring rain out and some creepy ass dude just rang my doorbell claiming that my windows were leaky and wanted to know if I was interested in getting them replaced.

WTF

In retrospect, I should have just not answered the door. I dumbly assumed it was my neighbor though.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »
Here's an interesting perspective.  If there was not a lot of people wanting you to offer some sort of service, every time you hear a doorbell ring, would you be more inclined to answer the door?  I always think that there's always someone wanting to lend their "services" every time they ring the doorbell so I just keep ignoring it and let my dog bark loudly until they get scared and leave.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
My wife works for a security company so we now have one of those doorbells that you can talk to the person from anywhere you are. Just got installed this week so I don't know how to use it yet. We get all the latest security gadgets for free.