Author Topic: A Curious Question v. What would you have done?  (Read 7381 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: A Curious Question v. What would you have done?
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2016, 06:15:53 AM »
It's kind of a shame that society has gotten to the point where not only are we afraid to open the door, but we won't even try to establish communication through it.
Yeah, I hear you. When I was a kid we have the door open when we went to bed in the Summer cause we had no air conditioning and we had a screen door.

While it’s not beyond the realm this person was in need of help my judgment was not to answer and ignore him.
First of all I have my wife and daughter home with me, which is different than if I was home alone.  So I had that on my mind in that moment.

Second, I don’t own a gun or any real form of protection at all so that makes me feel vulnerable.

I'm way late to responding to this, but I just recently bought three of these for my house because I too don't have a firearm. I have one behind the headboard of our bed, one on the back of the couch in the living room, and one upstairs in the bathroom.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Red-Pepper-Gel-Strength/dp/B002368VJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475237504&sr=8-1&keywords=home+defense+pepper+spray

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »
It's kind of a shame that society has gotten to the point where not only are we afraid to open the door, but we won't even try to establish communication through it.
Yeah, I hear you. When I was a kid we have the door open when we went to bed in the Summer cause we had no air conditioning and we had a screen door.

While it’s not beyond the realm this person was in need of help my judgment was not to answer and ignore him.
First of all I have my wife and daughter home with me, which is different than if I was home alone.  So I had that on my mind in that moment.

Second, I don’t own a gun or any real form of protection at all so that makes me feel vulnerable.

I'm way late to responding to this, but I just recently bought three of these for my house because I too don't have a firearm. I have one behind the headboard of our bed, one on the back of the couch in the living room, and one upstairs in the bathroom.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Red-Pepper-Gel-Strength/dp/B002368VJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475237504&sr=8-1&keywords=home+defense+pepper+spray
My wife just got her pistol permit this week after literally months of going through the process, which I probably don't need to tell you is not an easy one in Connecticut.
So I would imagine we will have a firearm in the house in the not too distant future.
So now she can protect me! :neverusethis:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »
The paranoia in this thread is both surprising and depressing. I can't imagine living life so terrified that a mere knock at the door is perceived as an unwarranted threat to life and limb. From my perspective, the likelihood of it being somebody looking to harm me is about 1/100th that of it being somebody seeking aid, and about 1/10,000th that of it just being some annoying missionary fuck. As I've been saying for 15 years now, we really have become a nation of pussies.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »
The paranoia in this thread is both surprising and depressing. I can't imagine living life so terrified that a mere knock at the door is perceived as an unwarranted threat to life and limb. From my perspective, the likelihood of it being somebody looking to harm me is about 1/100th that of it being somebody seeking aid, and about 1/10,000th that of it just being some annoying missionary fuck. As I've been saying for 15 years now, we really have become a nation of pussies.
Well, if you think I'm terrified whatever, I'm not. I don't really care who comes to my door, if I don't know who you are, I'm not interested.
And if you consider me a pussie, I won't sweat that either. I live according to my rules when it pertains to my personal space. The only opinion that matters in that respect is mine.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »
I think it's just being cautious.  Yes, the odds of a knock at the door being benign are much higher than it being someone who's there to hurt you and was stupid enough to knock and give you a warning, but there are definitely areas where any knock on the door must be met with caution.  I don't know anybody who would just stop by my house without calling first or having something pre-arranged.  Even if they're in the neighborhood and feel like dropping in, they'd still call first to make sure we're home, otherwise they're wasting their time anyway.

I'm not "terrified" by a knock at the door, but if I'm not expecting anyone, I don't just open it up, especially late at night.  I look through the window first at the very least.  Also, door-to-door people selling shit or wanting to convert me to their religion or whatever, fuck that.  I don't even answer the door.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »
Just ask this dude.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
Well, if you think I'm terrified whatever, I'm not. I don't really care who comes to my door, if I don't know who you are, I'm not interested.
And if you consider me a pussie, I won't sweat that either. I live according to my rules when it pertains to my personal space. The only opinion that matters in that respect is mine.
I certainly don't consider you a pussy, dude. It's just that while this sort of attitude was the exception when we were all young, it seems to be the norm now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
I think every generation gets a little tighter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »

The operative words being "from my perspective". I live in what is considered a "nice neighborhood". The lakeside houses across the street from me go for half a million and up, yet one would believe this was the ghetto with the level of crime we experience. Vandalism, break-ins, senior citizens violently mugged while walking their dogs, etc. One of the last break-ins ended with a neighbor being gunned down and killed in his driveway for trying to run to another neighbor's house.

So, you're not going to find me using words like "pussy" and "paranoid" in reference to people who have a heightened level of awareness, cautiousness,  and desire to protect themselves.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2016, 05:39:39 AM »

Agreed. If someone knocked at my door, I'd make sure to be as stealthy as possible to see if he had a gun or anything, then I'd have to settle for grabbing one of my swords since I don't have a gun YET. I'd answer it, though. I scared the last person who showed up at my door. Poor kid was just looking for my landlord. It's not everyday you knock on the door of someone wielding a sword.  :lol 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:28 AM »
To me, I see no need to label the cautious on this topic. This is not the same world I grew up in. Home invasions are out of control. Why risk a 1% chance of a problem? No thanks. I don't have to trust anyone, because I don't care why you are ringing my bell. I'm 100% not interested in what you want or have to say. If the person is in need of help its not like he is stranded on a desert island. 100's of houses all around with bells to ring. I don't care who finds me a bad person for not answering my door to strangers. Since their are as many phones around as people I'll assume the person ringing my bell has one. I don't want the person in question to sell me magazines, ask for my vote, want to groom my lawn, or any other litany of questions they might ask.
Don't care. Next house 50 ft ahead....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:53:07 AM by Tick »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
To me, I see no need to label the cautious on this topic. This is not the same world I grew up in. Home invasions are out of control. Why risk a 1% chance of a problem? No thanks. I don't have to trust anyone, because I don't care why you are ringing my bell. I'm 100% not interested in what you want or have to say. If the person is in need of help its not like he is stranded on a desert island. 100's of houses all around with bells to ring. I don't care who finds me a bad person for not answering my door to strangers. Since their are as many phones around as people I'll assume the person ringing my bell has one. I don't want the person in question to sell me magazines, ask for my vote, want to groom my lawn, or any other litany of questions they might ask.

Huh? Do you have any data backing this up? I find that hard to believe.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2016, 10:25:20 AM »
I just checked. https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Burglary is about the same as it was 50 years ago and Property Crime is as low as it's ever been. Rape is higher than it was in the 60s but still much lower than it's been for 30 years or so. Theft, vehicle and otherwise, also down .

Go figure.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »

Huh? Do you have any data backing this up? I find that hard to believe.
Fine, the world has always sucked but I feel like the world is a more dangerous place than when I was young on many levels. I feel its more dangerous for kids to walk around the streets. If I'm wrong statistically, I would question the accuracy and legitimacy of the statistics. The world is a slanted bunch of lies anyhow. In any event, that aside I stand my my post.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »
No offense, but that's the concerning part. I have nothing against people owning guns, but when people start to buy more of them and bring them into their homes based on emotional and completely subjective criteria, that's how I know the fear is taking over.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »
No offense, but that's the concerning part. I have nothing against people owning guns, but when people start to buy more of them and bring them into their homes based on emotional and completely subjective criteria, that's how I know the fear is taking over.
What's wrong with owning a gun if you choose? Its not about fear if you choose to have arms in case of an emergency. It could happen any day of any week. Anyone who has ever had an intruder in there home, and had no firearms surely at that moment wished they did.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »

Agreed. If someone knocked at my door, I'd make sure to be as stealthy as possible to see if he had a gun or anything, then I'd have to settle for grabbing one of my swords since I don't have a gun YET. I'd answer it, though. I scared the last person who showed up at my door. Poor kid was just looking for my landlord. It's not everyday you knock on the door of someone wielding a sword.  :lol
You might read up on what happened to Sean Taylor (Redskins safety). Displaying a weapon can escalate a situation that might normally have been peacefully resolved. Some guy sees you brandishing a sword and he might suddenly become very defensive himself. Consider using something smaller and keeping it out of sight when you answer the door. I'm a gun owner but in all likelihood it'll be Mr. Maglite as the first line of defense around here, and I can hold it out of view when opening a door. 
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
Interesting, as from what I have read, the statistical chances of "bad" things happening are far greater if you have a gun in the house than would ever happen from a home invasion.  That goes for having a pool too.  But I like my pool as I get to enjoy it every day for hours.....gun not so much.

I get that people think of it like insurance.  But my life insurance premiums don't actually increase my chance of death like a gun does.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:43:34 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
The beautiful thing is we all have the freedom to choose. I have never been a gun owner. I am still not. My wife wanted to learned how to shoot and get her permit. After going through months of red tape, she got it. She wanted me to join her in getting a permit and I declined.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »

You might read up on what happened to Sean Taylor (Redskins safety). Displaying a weapon can escalate a situation that might normally have been peacefully resolved. Some guy sees you brandishing a sword and he might suddenly become very defensive himself. Consider using something smaller and keeping it out of sight when you answer the door. I'm a gun owner but in all likelihood it'll be Mr. Maglite as the first line of defense around here, and I can hold it out of view when opening a door.

I'll use a hobbit sword then

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »
To each their own, nothing wrong with owning a gun for home protection IMO.  There's plenty of home burglaries by me.  Just recently someone (a guy I went to high school with younger brother) was stealing rims in town from cars parking in driveways (he was only targetting expensive SUVs though) and got busted recently.  I also live near the parkway and pretty easy for anyone to get to my neighborhood and get out quickly which worries me about home invasion.  I also have no other security at my house besides door locks.  I guess never having anything happen to me is the only reason I don't own a gun because I feel pretty safe overall.  The day I feel uncomfortable may be the day I apply for a permit.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
If I'm wrong statistically, I would question the accuracy and legitimacy of the statistics.

Are you suggesting that "If stats say I'm wrong, it's probably the stats that are wrong, not me"?  Just making sure I understood if that was what you meant.