Author Topic: A Curious Question v. What would you have done?  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
A Curious Question v. What would you have done?
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
A curious question...
Its 8:15pm. You are sitting at home with your family watching TV. The doorbell rings. You look at each other puzzled. An unannounced visitor is ringing your doorbell at 8:15 in the evening. I walk to the front door and look outside from the window on the top window of the door. A man is standing on my front porch in the dark. Are you answering the door? I did not. I went back to the couch and sat back down. I don't trust this world much anymore and whoever that person was has no business ringing my doorbell at that time in the first place. If I open the door to ask what he wants anything could possibly happen, and considering I have no interest in whatever he wants I am not answering the door. What would you have done?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: A Curious Question v. What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:48 AM »
But you could've been a sweepstakes winner!!

I see your point. I'd've answered. Life ain't that rough in my city yet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:10 AM »
Funny.  I was just talking to my dad about days of past when if your car broke down you would have to knock on someone's door and ask to use the phone.

I would have talked through the door to him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:34:45 AM »

I would have talked through the door to him.
Wasn't worth the effort. Whatever he wanted, I had zero interest.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:37 AM »
I get you but my interest would be there to see why he's at my door.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:40:20 AM »
But you could've been a sweepstakes winner!!

I see your point. I'd've answered. Life ain't that rough in my city yet.
Well Chad, the first thing I looked out into the darkness to see was whether or not he had any balloons. He didn't so I'm pretty sure I'm good.

As far as my city being dangerous. I live is suburbia. Fairly affluent middle class city, but honestly that doesn't matter anymore. Cheshire CT. is very affluent and the home invasion there was horrible when a doctors wife and two children were brutally murdered. You never know who that stranger is, so why bother taking any unnecessary risk? Not worth it. Plus I don't have any interest in what that man wanted at 8:15 on a Monday night. Nope.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:40:58 AM »
I get you but my interest would be there to see why he's at my door.
Maybe to shoot and kill you, so fuck him!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:53:43 AM »
It's a liberating feeling when you realize a doorbell is just a request and not a requirement. Isn't it?

Anyway, the exact same thing happened to me Saturday night. I live in a similar neighborhood to what you describe. I could clearly see the man on the porch--our front door has a glass oval in the center--and he was looking none to clean or even sober.

So, I opened the door and asked if I could help him. Turns out he was new to the block and he'd let his car run out of gas. He payed me a few bucks for a gallon of gas so he could get to his night shift job. He was sober, by the way, he just had some sort of nervous tick that went away once I started talking to him as a neighbor.

Like I said, it was an epiphany, years ago, when it dawned on me that I didn't have to answer the doorbell if I didn't want to. That being said, I usually choose to.

Unless it's those damned missionaries! Those guys have no sense of humor.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:21:31 AM »
I would answer the door, because if I needed help, I would hope that someone would answer their door.  Golden Rule, and all that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »
I would have at least tried to communicate through the door or would have gone upstairs and talked to him through an open window. When I was a kid, we had a guy come to our door at about 10:30. Keep in mind, people weren't carrying cellphones around then. Turned out he had flipped his car and his wife was stuck in it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »
I answer.  Matter of fact, last night I knocked on a neighbor's door who I don't know because their car lights were on.  If he doesn't answer, he has a dead battery in the morning, so talking through the door is always a first step if you don't recognize them.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:47 AM »
All he wanted was a copy of your last water bill. Or to see your furnace warranty. Just give him these things, he's from another country - he's an expert - he has a clipboard.
He is there to help.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
I hate answering the door unless I know who it is. So i'd have ignored it too.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 08:26:25 AM »
I'm with the talking through the door camp, but would be a dick about it. My window is right next to the front door, so I would just turn my head and shout "WHAT??"... if it was help needed or something, I could be available.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »
I probably would chose not to answer either.  I get kind of freaked out by unannounced and unknown guests.  Maybe based on his appearance (like if he looked injured or something, thats a different story) I would try to talk through the door first, but my initial reaction is to not answer. 

In college one night someone started knocking on my apartment door at like 4am and wouldnt stop and it concerned my roommate and I so we got our machetes out and waiting by the door in case this person tried to do something, but they stopped and left.  I was really freaked out by that.  I lived a bit off campus so it wasnt just random drunk students wandering the hallways.

At the end of the day, I'd rather be safe than sorry and if someone knocking on my door was making me uncomfortable, I would not answer it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
I live in a secure apartment building, so if I looked through the peephole and didn't recognize the person as a neighbor, I probably wouldn't have said anything. If I was in a house, I'd probably talk to them through the door to see if they needed help...but I wouldn't open the door because I live alone and fuck that.
It's election season- maybe he was trying to get your vote for something/someone.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
It's kind of a shame that society has gotten to the point where not only are we afraid to open the door, but we won't even try to establish communication through it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
Yeah, there is a middle ground between "ignore" and "open the door and invite a can of whoop ass into your home".   

I'll give you the sensitivity in the Chesire area (though I can tell you, it hasn't extended up this way) but that is a sort of individual thing. 

I do know that the world has changed in other ways; when I was a kid, you didn't call after 9.  You didn't ring the bell after dark.  It was sort of a 'respect' thing, and as a result things had their own code.   Phone call at 11:30?  You answered it, because it WAS bad, important news.   Knock at 10:30?  You answered it, because it WAS someone in true need.   Nowadays we've trampled, obliterated those sort of norms - and in some cases it is a situation where the scumbags among us have abused and violated those norms - so that you have circumstances like this. 

it also depends where you live; in Philly, many of the row houses have intercoms, so you can have the sort of conversation that needs to be had to figure out what's what, though even that isn't fool proof, because if someone wants in your home for nefarious reasons, they are obviously not above lying to you through the intercom.  There it was easy because I could poke my head out on the second floor balcony.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
A curious question...
Its 8:15pm. You are sitting at home with your family watching TV. The doorbell rings. You look at each other puzzled. An unannounced visitor is ringing your doorbell at 8:15 in the evening. I walk to the front door and look outside from the window on the top window of the door. A man is standing on my front porch in the dark. Are you answering the door? I did not. I went back to the couch and sat back down. I don't trust this world much anymore and whoever that person was has no business ringing my doorbell at that time in the first place. If I open the door to ask what he wants anything could possibly happen, and considering I have no interest in whatever he wants I am not answering the door. What would you have done?

Are you positive it was someone standing in the dark?  I mean, I wasn't there, but I'm sure there's a much more reasonable explanation for all of this than what you've offered, having been there and all.  It was probably a man sized package left by Fed Ex, in their new "Look At Me, I'm a Human BeingTM" packaging line, that they just delivered to the wrong house.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
I answer.  Matter of fact, last night I knocked on a neighbor's door who I don't know because their car lights were on.  If he doesn't answer, he has a dead battery in the morning, so talking through the door is always a first step if you don't recognize them.
Did the same thing a week or two ago. It was daylight though. If it's daytime then I answer the door (and usually regret it). If it's after dark I generally ignore it. While my preference would be the altruistic route, my peephole doesn't work. Besides, it might be the fucking cops.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
A curious question...

Are you positive it was someone standing in the dark?  I mean, I wasn't there, but I'm sure there's a much more reasonable explanation for all of this than what you've offered, having been there and all.  It was probably a man sized package left by Fed Ex, in their new "Look At Me, I'm a Human BeingTM" packaging line, that they just delivered to the wrong house.

And then someone stole it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
:rollin

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
Tick has a neighbor who is stuck on the phone with FedEx trying to figure out where the manikin is that he ordered a few days ago. "You said it was guaranteed yesterday by 8:30! No... if it was delivered... I WOULDN'T BE CALLING YOU!... What? no.... none of my neighbors have it either. Yea.. I trust them. Especially that (Tick) guy. He would have held on to it for me..."
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
I usually open the door and see what they want. My area is very safe.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
I usually open the door and see what they want. My area is very safe.

Well... who's gonna mess with a goat?

Ok. joking aside... I'd answer the door.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
I would get the shotgun and fire half a dozen shots through the door and scream "I DON'T LIKE KNOCK-KNOCK JOKES!!!"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
What if it was Kevin Moore at the door?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »
Then I'd go for the full dozen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
I'm moving in a few days and plan on installing one of these.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »
It's kind of a shame that society has gotten to the point where not only are we afraid to open the door, but we won't even try to establish communication through it.
Yeah, I hear you. When I was a kid we have the door open when we went to bed in the Summer cause we had no air conditioning and we had a screen door.

While it’s not beyond the realm this person was in need of help my judgment was not to answer and ignore him.
First of all I have my wife and daughter home with me, which is different than if I was home alone.  So I had that on my mind in that moment.

Second, I don’t own a gun or any real form of protection at all so that makes me feel vulnerable.

Third, we live in an age where everyone has a phone to call for assistance, and many have Triple A if it’s a car issue. So call a family member or AAA.

Forth, he probably is a handyman trying to see me replacement windows so I don’t want him to take up a minute of my time cause I’m not interested.

Fifth, I have two doors to try and talk through and my alarm system was armed so I can’t open a window to talk unless I disarm it, and frankly I’m not that interested. I would rather the person move on.
So for me, the ignore option was my chosen path.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »
What if it was Kevin Moore at the door?

It'd never be opened

again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
I'm moving in a few days and plan on installing one of these.

Yeah, we have had those for awhile.  Although, initially, it was mainly for keeping the kids in rather than keeping unwanted company out.  Seems like they all learned how to undo the deadbolt and open the door when they were pretty little, so we had to take additional measures.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
A curious question...

Yes, because he is on video from my on house alarm camera, I know what he looked like and what he was doing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Then I'd go for the full dozen.

reported

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
Tick has a neighbor who is stuck on the phone with FedEx trying to figure out where the manikin is that he ordered a few days ago. "You said it was guaranteed yesterday by 8:30! No... if it was delivered... I WOULDN'T BE CALLING YOU!... What? no.... none of my neighbors have it either. Yea.. I trust them. Especially that (Tick) guy. He would have held on to it for me..."
Nope, not the case. Got him on camera.