Poll

What is your favorite set list of the following?

Live at Budokan
21 (28.8%)
Score
11 (15.1%)
Live at Luna Park
6 (8.2%)
Breaking the Fourth Wall
35 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: July 17, 2020, 12:44:28 PM

Author Topic: Favorite set list (not show) of the four featured on official live DVDs  (Read 3483 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Note: I am talking about the main set list on each release; not any extras included. 

And I am talking about strictly the set list, not which show you like for any particular reason (editing, crowd, etc.). 

This is basically looking at each set list, leaving everything else out of the equation, and picking a favorite.

I'm giving the slight nod to the new one, just slightly over Luna Park.  Budokan is a distant third, with Score last.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Favorite set list (not show) of the four featured on official live DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »
LALP!

I have grown to love BTFW.  I love how bold it is not to have Metropolis or Pull Me Under.  It made me appreciate TSF more.  I also have always thought Awake was a bit underappreciated even though everyone claims to love it.  A lot of those songs seemed to be ignored on a lot of past tours so performing the second half of the album was a very cool decision. 

All things considered, LALP was the pefect mix of most albums.  Yeah, you gotta ignore some and that sucks but we got a good chunk of ADTOE, my favorite album, along with some cool gems like Fortune in Lies and especially underappreciated songs like 6:00. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
Definitely the new one.

I love Budokan's setlist, I really do; but that one's missing some Awake stuff.

Score's setlist had potential, as most of that tour's setlists were incredibly amazing. That being said, I Walk Beside You, The Answer Lies Within, and the subpar version of Vacant (the orchestra didn't really do justice to the song) bring the setlist down a bit. They had so many amazing songs being rotated and I remember expecting updates of the setlist as the show was taking place and going like...what? really? It was an amazing thing they performed the whole Six Degrees, tho.

Also, I don't think it was a great idea to put I Walk Beside You just after the kickass The Root of all Evil opener. It felt like the energy built from it went down real fast. Panic Attack could have been much a better choice, IMO.

LALP had a great setlist, and I really enjoyed the two shows I saw from that tour. The only thing I missed from those setlist was the lack of a big epic song, a'la ACOS or Octavarium in the setlist.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »
Budokan. The most enjoyable setlist.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
I'm just realizing for the first time that LAB was their first *full length* live video release.    :|
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »
BTFW.

Budokan is probably the most consistently good, but it doesn't have as many heavy hitters that make it essential.

Score is the total opposite. It is jam packed with songs that you won't get anywhere else that are stunning live. Six Degrees and Octavarium in the same show? Hell yes. Not to mention the orchestra. Unfortunately it doesn't flow quite as well as BTFW.

BTFW has the strengths of both of these setlists. It has the heavy hitters, lots of never before played songs, and it flows amazingly well. You can tell they put a ton of thought into this setlist. It's one hit after another, not one dull moment.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
Chaos in Motion

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
I actually really like the song selection on Chaos in Motion (not necessarily the versions of those songs), but I suppose it's not really a setlist, even if it's somewhat representative of the average setlist of that tour.

I don't see why Live and Tokyo and Scenes from New York aren't on here, but I suppose if they were it'd essentially be concerts made up of I&W and SFAM respectively. If we're talking about songs alone, then Livetime also has a great setlist but with the confusion between the DVD and the Live album, I can understand why that wouldn't be here.

I want to click Score because I feel it's underappreciated as I do like how different it is, and the first set with the timeline thing going through the albums was pretty cool I thought, and the second set and encore containing Six Degrees and Octavarium, that's still full of win.

So as it is, and without tricking myself, I honestly really like Luna Parks setlist, so LALP it is.

Also, I don't think it was a great idea to put I Walk Beside You just after the kickass The Root of all Evil opener. It felt like the energy built from it went down real fast. Panic Attack could have been much a better choice, IMO.

Ahh.. I know right, Panic Attack so needed to be on Score!

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
Budokan is a distant third, with Score last.

What do you like about the Budokan setlist Kev?  I think it and Score are both equally lackluster.  Budokan has Disappear and Only a Matter of Time, while Score has Raise the Knife, The Spirit Carries On, and the title track to Octavarium.  I'd say the Score show was more disappointing given the hype but its setlist is slightly better than Budokan's.  It's very telling that, as of this writing, Score is last place in this poll in spite of how hyped the show was at the beginning of 2006.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
Disagree about the energy level on I Walk Beside You.   You may not like the song, but the audience was *totally into it*...   I was there, and I've never seen so much energy from a crowd.   Everyone was just freakin NUTS for that whole show, including IWBY.    The moment when the hands all went into the air clapping was pretty amazing.  Because usually when I see that at a live show, it's just the first few rows, or the front half of the lower section.   But I remember looking back and I swear there wasn't a single person not clapping from front row of the stage, to the back row of the balcony.   It was a really magical moment.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Yeah, you could tell the audience was into it, even on the DVD, it just didn't feel like the right song to be there though. Then again, JP and MP probably like the song, and all their families were there so maybe it was the better choice for the night from that perspective. And they were hardly gonna play something like Never Enough that night.  :laugh:

Furthermore, we got a great live version of IWBY, has more life and energy than the studio version imo. Still.. Would be nice to have that definitive live version of Panic Attack aswell. I wonder if they'll pull that one out again someday soooooon.

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
Panic Attack probably would've gotten just as good a reaction as IWBY.  Most of the "metal" songs from their recent albums got good reactions from what I can tell.  The band could probably just cover Pantera's Walk and it'd go over real well since it's cool to thump thump thump mosh mosh mosh too.

The only reason why IWBY was included on Score is because Panic Attack was on the Gigantour DVD with a grand total of one other DT song.  I don't think MP thought These Walls came across well live and, yeah, they weren't gonna play Never Enough.  The other Octavarium songs were already in the setlist.

Offline krands85

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
I went with Score, but it's close between it, LAB and LALP.

Breaking the Fourth Wall I'm not so keen on - it only features 2 songs in total from my top 3 DT albums (and none from my 2 favourites, I&W and ToT).
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
Budokan
Score
LALP

Breaking the Fourth Wall

I'm glad I have two DVD drives on my computer, because I was only interested in a grand total of one song on the first disc of BTFW (excluding the intro vid), and only SFAM from disc 2, so I wouldn't want to have to swap discs for that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »

What do you like about the Budokan setlist Kev?   

Not to be negative, but I think it's easier to say what I don't like about it.  I mean, there isn't a song on there I flat-out dislike, but, for one, it's just an odd-looking set list, and the end of Set 2 - Disappear, Stream of Consciousness and Pull Me Under - is just a bumpy flow, punctuated by my long-held view that Pull Me Under is a good set opener, but not a good set closer or encore.  To me, the Instrumedley is a complete throwaway, the keyboard solo is a waste of time, and it kicking off with two songs I merely kind of like (As I Am and This Dying Soul) makes it struggle to get going.  Plus, you've got a set list featuring songs from their first seven albums, and only two songs from my three favorites (Awake, I&W and Scenes) combined, and those are two of my least favorites from that bunch.  Like Mosh said, just not enough heavy hitters; it's basically a set list filled with, IMO, mostly middle-tier Dream Theater songs, which is a shame considering how great many of the set lists on that your were.  As good as Portnoy was at mixing up set lists, I think he sometimes got too overly worried about not repeating songs on DVDs, and the Budokan set list definitely suffered as a result of it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »
Fourth Wall

Budokan is too heavy on the Train Of Thought album, of which I'm no big fan.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 05:27:37 AM »
Love the setlist on the new DVD.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
Breaking The Fourth Wall, its hard to beat a setlist with Trial Of Tears, Breaking All Illusions, The Mirror/Lie, Space Dye Vest, Illumination Theory, and a good chunk of Scenes From A Memory.

Budokan is great but has way too much Train Of Thought, which drags it down quite a bit.

Score has a very awkward first set that doesn't flow well, but the second set is amazing.

Luna Park has a spectacular setlist, but includes the clunker Build Me Up, Break Me Down. 
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:51 AM »
Breaking The Fourth Wall
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
Space-Dye Vest alone would be enough to make BFTW my favorite, but then there's the rest of the Awake stuff, Trial of Tears, BAI and Finally Free. :hefdaddy

LALP is my second favorite - fairly balanced with lots of classics and a good chunk of songs from ADTOE, which is a top 3 album for me.

Budokan and Score are tied - the former has a bit too much emphasis on the heavy side of the band and includes a few clunkers (BTL, New Millennium) and no full songs from Awake, and the latter is just underwhelming for the most part, with the exception of a few highlights in the first set.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »
Breaking The Fourth Wall, its hard to beat a setlist with Trial Of Tears, Breaking All Illusions, The Mirror/Lie, Space Dye Vest, Illumination Theory, and a good chunk of Scenes From A Memory.

Budokan is great but has way too much Train Of Thought, which drags it down quite a bit.

Score has a very awkward first set that doesn't flow well, but the second set is amazing.

Luna Park has a spectacular setlist, but includes the clunker Build Me Up, Break Me Down.

That's not part of the main set list; it's part of the bonus features, which is not a factor here, given what I stated in the first post here. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
This is tough. I'd say Score is my least favorite set but the rest and even CiM are all very close and one could be better any given day based on how I feel.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »

What do you like about the Budokan setlist Kev?   

Not to be negative, but I think it's easier to say what I don't like about it.  I mean, there isn't a song on there I flat-out dislike, but, for one, it's just an odd-looking set list, and the end of Set 2 - Disappear, Stream of Consciousness and Pull Me Under - is just a bumpy flow, punctuated by my long-held view that Pull Me Under is a good set opener, but not a good set closer or encore.  To me, the Instrumedley is a complete throwaway, the keyboard solo is a waste of time, and it kicking off with two songs I merely kind of like (As I Am and This Dying Soul) makes it struggle to get going.  Plus, you've got a set list featuring songs from their first seven albums, and only two songs from my three favorites (Awake, I&W and Scenes) combined, and those are two of my least favorites from that bunch.  Like Mosh said, just not enough heavy hitters; it's basically a set list filled with, IMO, mostly middle-tier Dream Theater songs, which is a shame considering how great many of the set lists on that your were.  As good as Portnoy was at mixing up set lists, I think he sometimes got too overly worried about not repeating songs on DVDs, and the Budokan set list definitely suffered as a result of it.

Exactly this. It's hard to build a 3-hr setlist while ignoring material from the best albums. Unfortunately the curfew resulted in a few songs being cut that would have definitely elevated the setlist.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »
BTFW. It doesn't get much better than that.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
BTFW. It doesn't get much better than that.

Yep, agreed!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
Budokan. The most enjoyable setlist.

EASILY :tup

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Budokan has a ton of FII (good things)
Score has Afterlife and Another Won (good things)
LALP was just so damn boring to watch, because of the editing.

I'm going with BTFW. Fun Fact: Nothing from Images on this DVD :o

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
That is still pretty crazy.  Even though I like The Shattered Fortress, had they played an I&W song like Take the Time in its place, my gosh, the set list would have been even more beastly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
Exactly this. It's hard to build a 3-hr setlist while ignoring material from the best albums.

Which is one reason BTFW's setlist is so lacking for me. No IaW or SDOIT at all, along with the rest. If not for the chunk of SFAM, it would have almost nothing I'm interested in at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
Disagree about the energy level on I Walk Beside You.   You may not like the song, but the audience was *totally into it*...   I was there, and I've never seen so much energy from a crowd.   Everyone was just freakin NUTS for that whole show, including IWBY.    The moment when the hands all went into the air clapping was pretty amazing.  Because usually when I see that at a live show, it's just the first few rows, or the front half of the lower section.   But I remember looking back and I swear there wasn't a single person not clapping from front row of the stage, to the back row of the balcony.   It was a really magical moment.
You weren't looking in my section. I thought it was a real downer, and there wasn't much energy up in nosebleed to change that.

And I vote none of the above. Budokan is the best of what's listed, but there are other shows tons better so.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
OMFG apparently a ton of other shows have been released on official DVDs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:23 PM »
Exactly this. It's hard to build a 3-hr setlist while ignoring material from the best albums.

Which is one reason BTFW's setlist is so lacking for me. No IaW or SDOIT at all, along with the rest. 

The lack of I&W and 6DOIT probably doesn't bother me here cause of all of the Awake and Scenes material.  Plus, I love Trial of Tears, and it has seven songs from the Mangini albums, both of which I like a lot.  I even like The Shattered Fortress, even though I think replacing it with something else could have made it better. 

But yeah, with all of these varied set lists, personal preferences will dictate which ones we all like better. :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »
Budokan has a nice setlist, as those ToT hit pretty hard live.
Strengths: Disappear, Only a Matter of Time
Weaknesses: NM and Goodnight Kiss/Solitary Shell

Score would easily be my favorite, except for the 6 Degrees of Boredom.
Strengths: Entire first set except for IWBY, Octavarium
Weaknesses: 6DoIT

Score would be my favorite, except for the 6 Degrees of Boredom.
Strengths: Entire first set is awesome except for IWBY, Octavarium
Weaknesses: 6DoIT

LaLP, solid, no major duds or lulls. Good representation of ADToE
Strengths: ADToE songs, 600
Weaknesses: TDEN

BTFW (I still can't get used that acronym)
Strengths: Trial of Tears, Shattered Fortress came off much better than I expected. Awake mini-set is incredible, and Finally Free is a great finisher
Weaknesses: Overture-SDV-TDOE. Toward the bottom of SFaM for me.

Overall, hard to say. I'd rate all of them a solid B/B+ as all have a few downers. But for a band to have such different setlists I'd rate that high for 4 straight DVD releases is pretty awesome.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
BTFW (I still can't get used that acronym)
Strengths: Trial of Tears, Shattered Fortress came off much better than I expected. Awake mini-set is incredible, and Finally Free is a great finisher
Weaknesses: Overture-SDV-TDOE. Toward the bottom of SFaM for me.

wowwat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
I chose Score for Octavarium and Six Degrees, plus those incredible versions of Under a Glass Moon and Innocence Faded.

The others might have more good songs total, however.