Poll

What's your favorite live version of Scarred?

Once in a Live Time
3 (5%)
Chaos In Motion
4 (6.7%)
Breaking the Forth Wall
47 (78.3%)
Bucharest Ytsejam Release
4 (6.7%)
Other
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Favorite live version of Scarred?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Sad Wings

Favorite live version of Scarred?
« on: October 03, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
One long-running gripe among DT fans has been the lack of a knock-out live version of Scarred on par with, say, Pull Me Under from Live at the Marquee.  The fact that the band didn't even play it on the Awake tour and didn't play it very often after Rudess joined made me wonder whether they didn't think it came across very well live.  I remember hoping that Chaos In Motion would give us the definitive version of it, but James' singing wasn't up to snuff and the performance as a whole wasn't inspired.  I love the floydesque keyboard backdrop at the beginning of the OIALT version and parts of the guitar solo that led into the song on the 6DOIT tour.  If they'd done something like that on Breaking The Fourth Wall, that version would leave all of the others in the dust.  I'll still give it the edge on the strength of James' performance and MM's tom fills.  I think that version will win by a landslide but are there any other versions you really like?  I personally really like the version from Los Angeles in 2007 even though James botches the "You tell me I'm wrong, I'm risking my life" verse.  Unlike the version on CIM, that performance sounded energetic and inspired and it was the first time they'd played it in over four years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Favorite live version of Scarred?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
I went with The 4th Wall, but how can you say that the CiM version was uninspired? That was a great show. I've said, you never really know which JP you're gonna get, but he was very animated and in a great mood that show. Plus, MP is incredible on that outro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
The improv jam at the beginning of the CiM version kinda goes nowhere.  James sounds painful on some of the high notes, and while I agree about MP's playing on the outro, JP sounds harsh and sludgy, which kinda took me out of the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
I really like the CIM version.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »
I chose the Bucharest version. Honestly, I haven't picked up the 4th Wall yet, but I can't imagine that the version of Scarred on there will be my favorite for one simple reason - it's pretty much the studio version. For me, I love all the extras that the band used to throw in to some of their songs, and it is evident from the other versions listed, each time Scarred was part of the master setlist, they did something extra with it, aside from the current tour.

JP's intro guitar spot always was a great lead-in to Scarred on World Tourbulence, and the inclusion of the instrumental half of IF was cool too, altho I personally preferred when they tacked on Rush's 2112 Grand Finale, as they did at most shows earlier in the tour.

The version on OiaL doesn't get any consideration from me only because it's an abridged version, unlike what was played that night - I'm pretty sure this was done so that they could fit more stuff on the first CD. Had it not been abridged, it would probably be just below the CiM version in my rankings. And I really do like the version on CiM, but the one from the Bucharest DVD edges it out.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
I chose the Bucharest version. Honestly, I haven't picked up the 4th Wall yet, but I can't imagine that the version of Scarred on there will be my favorite for one simple reason - it's pretty much the studio version.

What's wrong with that?  What's that old saying...you can't improve on perfection!! :biggrin: :metal

The Bucharest version is definitely most awesome, but I'll have to spin the new live version again to see how it compares.

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
the inclusion of the instrumental half of IF was cool too

Did they remove the actual outro to Scarred when they did that like they did on OIALT?  A while back I think Shmev said that they chopped Scarred when they played it on the tour with Queensryche and Fates Warning.

Offline efx

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
I think the best version is the one on the new one but I have to give special mention to the OIALT performance for Derek's way of playing the keyboard lines in the "Do you feel part" which is one of my most favorite of DT moments. Those little embellishments are really something special and fits the mood of the song perfectly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »
The other thing I like about the CiM version is right before the "Do you feel" part, they played a few extra bars before they went into it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 06:01:55 AM »
The other thing I like about the CiM version is right before the "Do you feel" part, they played a few extra bars before they went into it.

They do that on The Fourth Wall as well. Giving James a little break I guess? Yeah, it lets the keys shine a little more.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:47 AM »
Easily 4th Wall. And I love the extra bars before the soft part as well!  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »

They did that in BtFW also, where you would hear MM's play in the snare.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
Breaking the Fourth Wall definitely, but only in terms of audio. Dat overlay.  >:(
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline genome

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
I love the jam at the beginning of the OIALT version.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »
Once In A Livetime because its short  :laugh:
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »
I went with BTFW, but in fairness, I don't have the Bucharest version.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
Early 2002.  James voice was sounding pretty full and with decent range and brilliant control around then.  Also had the brilliant Grand Finale 2112 ending :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
BTFW, although they could have extended the outro a bit more for ultimate awesomeness.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
I like budokan version

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
I love the wild voice of James that he used on Bucharest even though he struggled at some point. BFTW version is pretty good but James sounds so clean on this which doesn't fit the nature of the song, imo.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
I like budokan version

Fuck, this must be a hidden easter egg no one else has ever found!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
I like budokan version

Not even me. That's what I like  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:37 PM »
I like budokan version

They way they performed it on Budokan is the way that song should always be performed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
I like budokan version

They way they performed it on Budokan is the way that song should always be performed.
Exactly my point.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
I like budokan version

You are the worst kind of person.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
I like budokan version

Exactly my point.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Don't try to school me on science, hef. I was born science.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »
I don't know why so many people don't like the "Chaos" version. I like the extended parts, especially the "jazzy" thing at the beginning. As much as I like "The Darkest of Winters," the fact that they play the whole song here instead of cutting off the end and going into something else like they do on "LiveTime" score points with me. I think-in spite of James's vocal foibles-it's still a VASTLY under-rated version of this song.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:18 AM »
I like budokan version

Exactly my point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
I don't know why so many people don't like the "Chaos" version. I like the extended parts, especially the "jazzy" thing at the beginning. As much as I like "The Darkest of Winters," the fact that they play the whole song here instead of cutting off the end and going into something else like they do on "LiveTime" score points with me. I think-in spite of James's vocal foibles-it's still a VASTLY under-rated version of this song.
I agree 100%. MP is killing it in the outro.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
That's just it though. They're hard to look past. I have the same exact feelings for Surrounded on that release. I wish the vocals had been at least "acceptable". Unlistenable as is.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
I like budokan version

It's probably a running joke among people who HATE the song. They didn't play ANYTHING from "Awake" at the Budokan show, other than a little bit of "Erotomania" in the ""Instrumedley."

Basically, I think this "Budokan version" crap is just a bunch of HATERS expressing their HATE!!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 09:44:25 PM »
I like budokan version

It's probably a running joke among people who HATE the song. They didn't play ANYTHING from "Awake" at the Budokan show, other than a little bit of "Erotomania" in the ""Instrumedley."

Basically, I think this "Budokan version" crap is just a bunch of HATERS expressing their HATE!!!

I have never heard that before.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
My favourite version of IT is the one on Live In Tokyo..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"