Author Topic: Systematic Chaos is amazing.  (Read 16543 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Systematic Chaos is amazing.
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
It's a good album but I wouldn't quite call it amazing and when it came out in 2007, people here bashed the shit out of it.  I rank it higher than DT12, but disagree about PoW being catchy.  I think it's the one song that knocks the album down a notch.  However, it's the only song on the album that I don't like that much.  SC has got a lot more memorable material than DT12 easily.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
When i first heard it, after reading the negative reviews I was pretty shocked because the album actually was great.

TMOLS is just haunting beautiful, but than it drags too much. ITPOE P.1 is a great song, while P.2 begins great but the 2nd half- a lot of wankery.

songs like POW and Forsaken are just nothing special, perhaps 2 of the songs i don't really care about. Repentance contains one of the most touching solos by JP but after the solo its  4 min filler.

CM and DEN are fun at times, but usually i prefer other songs on them.

As a complete album, i find myself ignoring it too much although i like most of the individuals on it. idk, maybe the songs order should've been different and than maybe it wouldv'e been better but as for now, it is definitely lower tier DT album for me.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 04:30:53 AM »
If this album was their debut, back in the 80s, DT would have been huge! They would have been battling for their place in the spotlight with bands like Guns N' Roses and Metallica.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2014, 05:29:10 AM »
If this album was their debut, back in the 80s, DT would have been huge! They would have been battling for their place in the spotlight with bands like Guns N' Roses and Metallica.
I doubt it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 05:36:53 AM »
What makes you think that?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 06:33:22 AM »
Systematic chaos was the realization of a forumulaic Dream Theater, to me. ADTOE broke that (imo), but 8vm-bcsl are painfully mediocre.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 06:36:21 AM »
I've always maintained since Day 1 that after the emotion of Score and that entire 8V tour, which really seemed to wipe them out, SC was like them taking a breath of air and simply making an album that was just fun. It's easy on the ears.
I think they defintely ramped up the writing for BC&SL.
But for me, SC was about them taking it easy. Nothing wrong with that BTW.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 06:42:50 AM »
Sort of what TAC said, this album never caught my imagination like the other albums.  Sure I still play it but not at the frequency I play other DT albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »

Because I think SC is the most easy-listening album in DT catalogue. It's heavy, catchy and more "commercial" than the others, IMO. Forsaken, for example, coulde have become a hit in the end of the 80s/beginning of 90s, just like Paradise City or Enter Sandman.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »

Because I think SC is the most easy-listening album in DT catalogue. It's heavy, catchy and more "commercial" than the others, IMO. Forsaken, for example, coulde have become a hit in the end of the 80s/beginning of 90s, just like Paradise City or Enter Sandman.

No chance.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2014, 09:44:06 AM »

No chance.

You're goddamn right.

Sorry, but Dream Theater is too cheesy to be "commercial".
Also, i'm gonna look like a douche saying that but i can't resist: how can anyone think Forsaken would be a hit like Paradise City or Enter Sandman...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:49:51 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
 :lol

What?!  There's no cheese in popular music?! :lol

Come on now Outcrier.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 09:51:48 AM »
Forsaken isn't even good a DT song, let alone something that'd be a mega hit. It's bland an not memorable at all.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
Forsaken isn't even good a DT song, let alone something that'd be a mega hit. It's bland an not memorable at all.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
DT are just the kind of band that are never going to be popular with the mainstream. I don't know why some people have a hard time accepting that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »

It's plenty memorable, and it's a good song, even though not one of DT's best by any stretch.
And plenty of hit songs aren't good, or even considered good by that band's standards. In fact it seems to be the norm. :lol

Forsaken could have done well if released 5-10 years earlier, but there's no way anything from SC could have been a hit in the 80s or early 90s. It's too modern sounding. IaW could have been much bigger if released a few years earlier though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
:lol

What?!  There's no cheese in popular music?! :lol

Come on now Outcrier.

Ha, i know that but, with progressive rock in general, it's just doesn't fit  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
That I totally agree.  In the 70's prog song did make the charts (See: Kansas) but now?  Not a chance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »

Because I think SC is the most easy-listening album in DT catalogue.
FII would like a word with you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 03:08:20 PM »
SC is more digestible to me than FII.

Forsaken is a really good song! And I wouldn't classify it as prog metal. It sounds very traditional heavy metal to me!

Enter Sandman is not even a good song and made it to the spotlight. I really think Forsaken would have made it to the charts!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:49:08 PM by tiagodon »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »
Sometimes people lump 8V and SC together...I totally don't see any similarities of any kind.   Octavarium is my all time favorite #1 Dream Theater album of all time, and SC is just a mess.   Other than The Dark Eternal Night (which I absolutely love) I never listen to it.   ITPOE Part 1 is OK, Forsaken is terrible.  Constant Motion is a pretty cool riff, but the chorus is awful (I think I wrote those lyrics when I was 12 after listening to Motley Crue for a week).    Already gave my love to TDEN.  Repentance is better when it's played with the rest of the 12SS, but it's the weakest part of the suite, and not very good on its own.   Prophets of War is the worst song in the entire DT catalog.   I've grown to like TMOLS a bit more than when I first heard it, but it's still forgettable.   And ITPOE Part 2 is just silly.    ITPOE is my least favorite DT epic...and actually the only one I actively don't like.

In fact, I'd say that about sums up this album for me.   I have some DT albums I like better than others, and some that I'm luke warm on...but I just actively dislike Systematic Chaos, and it's the only DT album I can say that about.    BCSL is a close second, but at least I can claim ambivalence towards that one.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
DT are just the kind of band that are never going to be popular with the mainstream. I don't know why some people have a hard time accepting that.

This, very much.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:37 PM »
It's a killer album and every song on it is fantastic. I don't know how people define "mainstream" but right now, there are probably less than 10 Metal bands out there that I'd call mainstream. But this album really should be given more credit in the Metal community specifically.

Also, i'm gonna look like a douche saying that but i can't resist: how can anyone think Forsaken would be a hit like Paradise City or Enter Sandman...

Well, because Paradise City isn't even that good of a song, and it became a hit, which means strictly speaking, anything could become a hit, so there ya go.  :biggrin:
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
I think DT have plenty of songs that could be big hits, but Forsaken isn't one of them. I don't think it's bad, but it isn't really that exciting either. In fact, it's kind of boring.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Probably the weakest album they released to this point.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
I think DT have plenty of songs that could be big hits, but Forsaken isn't one of them. I don't think it's bad, but it isn't really that exciting either. In fact, it's kind of boring.

A hit is always unpredictable!
Every Nirvana song is boring! Every Oasis song is boring! Coldplay, Bon Jovi.... you name it!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
No, they're not!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »

A hit is always unpredictable!
Every Nirvana song is boring! Every Oasis song is boring! Coldplay, Bon Jovi.... you name it!

Except DT will never have their following to get radio airplay.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 06:05:18 PM »
No, they're not!

I agree. Bon Jovi has some decent songs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
PMU was the only chance of a hit they ever had, given the style of music they play. At that time it still somewhat intersected with mainstream, but then quickly after that operatic singing and fast solos became associated with the excesses of glam metal, and so they became marginalized. For a very long time they were musicians making music for musicians.
Now they're frankly too old to have a hit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
PMU was the only chance of a hit they ever had, given the style of music they play. At that time it still somewhat intersected with mainstream, but then quickly after that operatic singing and fast solos became associated with the excesses of glam metal, and so they became marginalized. For a very long time they were musicians making music for musicians.

Ozzy still has "hits".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
something about Octavarium being mediocre..

O_o

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »

Ozzy still has "hits".

He has singles, but I wouldn't really say they're hits that drive album sales. The difference is that he's established enough that singles are just standard advertising for existing fans to know there's an album. It's unlikely he's gaining a significant number of new fans from "hits" these days. Same with DT.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »

Ozzy still has "hits".

He has singles, but I wouldn't really say they're hits that drive album sales. The difference is that he's established enough that singles are just standard advertising for existing fans to know there's an album. It's unlikely he's gaining a significant number of new fans from "hits" these days. Same with DT.

As he shouldn't be. Not until he releases some decent music akin to his 80s stuff anyway. Pipe dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
Ozzy's singles were always radio airplay not top 40 and since radio has changed, radio and his singles in the 2000's are irrelevant.   Sad to say.