Author Topic: Christopher Nolan Fans  (Read 6969 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Christopher Nolan Fans
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
Interstellar is being shown on 70mm film at the Graumans Chinese Theater in Hollywood, and since I'm only a 35 minute drive (well, with traffic, it's probably more like an hour drive), I'm inclined to see my favorite directors newest film at a legendary landmark.

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
New Interstellar trailer! (with phenomenal music: "Final Frontier" by Thomas Bergersen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8_YlS1kqc

Mind=Blown

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
Obviously I'll wait until I see it to make up my mind, but my initial impression is that I'd probably like the movie a lot more if it was just a straight-up exploration type deal rather than the "save Earth" thing.

But who knows, I could be wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
My guess is that they don't get back to Earth in time for Mconaughey to see his kids again but then they go thru a wormhole and travel back far enough to prevent whatever happened in the first place.

We shall see on the 7/11 !! ;D

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Obviously I'll wait until I see it to make up my mind, but my initial impression is that I'd probably like the movie a lot more if it was just a straight-up exploration type deal rather than the "save Earth" thing.

But who knows, I could be wrong.
Personally I feel the fact that there's 'so' much at stake really makes for a more exciting story. It's pretty much taking the exploration aspect of 2001 and pushing it further. (not to say that this means it'll be better than 2001. Dat be crazeh)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 01:31:15 AM »
Bump!

https://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/27/christopher-nolan-short-film-quay

Christopher Nolan’s next film won’t be an expensive blockbuster like The Dark Knight or Inception. His next project is much smaller in scope — and much shorter.

Related
EW 1334 Insterstellar This week's cover: Your exclusive all-access pass to Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'
The director will debut a short film based on the work of Stephen and Timothy Quay, twin brothers who are masters of stop-motion animation. Simply titled Quay, Nolan’s film, which “reveals the inner workings of the Brothers’ studio [in London],” will premiere Aug. 19 at the Film Forum series honoring the twins in New York.

Nolan is curating the Film Forum series, “The Quay Brothers — In 35MM,” which will include screenings of In Absentia (2000), The Comb (1991), and Street of Crocodiles (1986). Nolan and the Quay brothers will be in attendance for a Q&A following the world premiere of Quay.

I'm looking forward to this. I studied The Brother Quay in college, and their stuff is pretty dark and far out. Apparently, Nolan is curating and restoring their works.

Here is my favorite piece from Brothers Quay, called "The Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYFZ4kIRaNg

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 03:19:30 AM »
(not to say that this means it'll be better than 2001. Dat be crazeh)

I always wonder about these kind of statements. If a sci fi film was made that was better than 2001 - nobody would ever say it was because " no film can ever be better than a "classic" film ". "

Or " Old films are always better ".

I don't agree with this looking at the past as if it's untouchable. Same with music. If I think Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the like were awful - i'll say so because I don't

filter my tastes through popular opinion.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 06:03:39 AM »
(not to say that this means it'll be better than 2001. Dat be crazeh)

I always wonder about these kind of statements. If a sci fi film was made that was better than 2001 - nobody would ever say it was because " no film can ever be better than a "classic" film ". "

Or " Old films are always better ".

I don't agree with this looking at the past as if it's untouchable. Same with music. If I think Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the like were awful - i'll say so because I don't

filter my tastes through popular opinion.

I agree with this. I tend to prefer older movies because they can tell a great story without gratuitous violence, sex, and profanity . . . but there's always potential for a great movie if there is a great idea and having the actors to pull it off.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »
I love The Beatles but when people say there'll never be a band better - maybe not in terms of size and influence and innovation etc...

But to say there's never been a band that's written better songs ?

Come off it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »
I can't wait for him to announce his next movie already. GIVE US SOMETHING! A title, a two sentences long synopsis. Something!  :corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »
I think he should do something smaller than Interstellar. A movie that ambitious is never going to be perfect.

Although having said that - Inception is damn near flawless in my eyes - probably because it's the movie he always wanted to make and hacked away at the script for many years.

He came into Interstellar late in the day - hence why it probably doesn't feel like a 100% Chris Nolan movie.

More like Prestige please.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
I love both Inception and Interstellar, but Memento remains his best IMO. He has been going bigger and bigger, but you can't go bigger than Interstellar. Would love something on a smaller scale again, to give some fresh flavor in between the bigger ones.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
Interstellar doesn't even make the top 3. Which would be Inception then The Prestige then Memento.

I've actually never seen Insomnia.

Interstellar was great but I even enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises more.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
I'd rank them:

1. Memento
2. Inception
3. The Prestige
--
4. Interstellar
5. The Dark Knight
--
6. Batman Begins
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Insomnia
9. Following

Following was a decent debut, but not a movie I would watch again. The others are good or better though. I love the top 5, but I do consider Memento/Inception/Prestige to be his holy trinity, with Interstellar and TDK just trailing behind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »
Yeah the worst thing he could do is just give up on original movies and just direct any old crap that gets thrown his way.

But i'm sure that won't happen. I'm convinced he said he always wanted to do either " original " films or "big" films.

So he might not go back and do another "Memento" again but we'll see...

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
I love both Inception and Interstellar, but Memento remains his best IMO. He has been going bigger and bigger, but you can't go bigger than Interstellar. Would love something on a smaller scale again, to give some fresh flavor in between the bigger ones.

That would be ideal. A smaller, much lower budget movie with an original idea.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2015, 11:20:31 PM »
I love The Beatles but when people say there'll never be a band better - maybe not in terms of size and influence and innovation etc...

But to say there's never been a band that's written better songs ?

Come off it.

Agreed but people say it generally because of the large quantity of great songs they've written, perhaps?

Now, on topic:

1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight

3. A battle between Inception and The Prestige
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
I haven't seen Following, but I've been meaning to.

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Begins
5. Insomnia
6. Inception
7. Interstellar
8. The Dark Knight Rises

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »

Really enjoyed - Momento, The prestige, Batman Begins, Dark Knight rises, Inception

Cool, but not my favorite- Interstellar

3. The Dark knight, Insomnia

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »
Need to watch Following...but:

1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. Insomnia (If only because I love the tone and would probably give my life for Williams)
4. The Prestige
5. Interstellar
6. Inception
7. Batman Begins
8. A good morning poop.
9. The Dark Knight Rises

Man...rewatched Rises recently and other than a few moments here and there, I really do not like that movie much at all and it was supremely disappointing to me. Like...vastly. I really don't see it as a Nolan film, and it doesn't have many qualities of other films, even (actually, especially) TDK. Something feels so flat and boring about it. Being a huge Hardy fan, I had high expectations (and other than his measly and random as hell death, was the only reason I didn't hate the film) but even his great acting and insanity wasn't enough for me. Really one of the bigger disappointments movie-wise in my life considering the hype I had for it. Funny thing is, I knew that it'd be overhyped because of TDK and really tried to ground myself and still came out shaking my head.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
Glad to see you like Insomnia. Very underrated film IMO.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Even though it has dropped somewhat since its release, I still think Rises is really good. Not nearly as good as TDK, but still clearly better than Begins in my mind. A solid end to the trilogy.

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »
For me Batman Begins is the favorite of the three with Dark Knight followed very closely. Rises is good but not great and I agree it's the right and most appropriate ending for the series. Begins is a great movie and I think brought a great sense of realism to the comic book world. My fav Nolan movie is Inception right now followed very closely with Memento. Insomnia is great as well.  Great slow burner which on second viewing felt even better relate-able.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »
Nolan has set Summer 2017 as the release date of his next project. He won't go into any more detail than that.

Which is weird because he was talking about Interstellar a couple of years before it was out.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »
Looking forward to it, whatever it is!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
Helllllllz yuh! I like that he's not hyping it up already or spilling the beans. That needs to be done less these days cause I'm getting tired of knowing everything about a movie when I walk into the theater (er...in this case, turn on my DVR, cause I can't remember the last movie I went to in theaters).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2015, 06:04:23 PM »
Yeah and tons of trailers these days are terrible about ruining movies. As far as trailers go... this is how you do it:

https://youtu.be/QRfj1VCg16Y

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 01:42:20 AM »
I am very excited for The Revenant! Though I wont watch the trailer.

It's a bit difficult for me to rank Nolan's films. I haven't even seen Insomnia or Following, and I'm not sure Interstellar has quite sunk in all the way yet, but this is how I see them at the moment:

1. Inception
2. Interstellar
3. The Dark Knight
4. Memento
5. The Prestige
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Batman Begins