Author Topic: UG John Petrucci Interview  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Ravenfoul

UG John Petrucci Interview
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Just posting this 'cause I didn't see it anywhere else on here, or at least, I don't recall seeing it. Lot of Q/A.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/john_petrucci_answers_readers_questions_thanks_to_all_the_people_who_submitted.html?no_takeover

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: UG John Petrucci Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:04:10 PM »
Awesome read. Thanks a lot.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
"Campion95: Would you ever consider Steven Wilson to produce a Dream Theater album?

That would be fun. He's a great producer and I love his work and certainly it would be a great collaboration. He's really talented for sure."

:metal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »
"Campion95: Would you ever consider Steven Wilson to produce a Dream Theater album?

That would be fun. He's a great producer and I love his work and certainly it would be a great collaboration. He's really talented for sure."

Make that shit happen

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »
I knew it was a long shot, but I really hoped I had my question answered.  "With Alter Bridge's Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy doing an instruction DVD where they teach viewers on how to play all the guitar parts of their Fortress album, do you think that you may want to venture into something like that for the next DT album?"

Other than that, there are some pretty good questions where some of them were a bit different than what are asked in interviews.  Really liked the weight training answers where he is asked if he is afraid of dropping a weight on his fingers.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:18:34 PM »
Mark and Myles made an instructional DVD for Fortress? Oh man, that sounds amazing! Or at least, would be quite interesting to here them chat about stuff on the album.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 10:59:54 PM »
Mark and Myles made an instructional DVD for Fortress? Oh man, that sounds amazing! Or at least, would be quite interesting to here them chat about stuff on the album.

Don't know if you got it, but I sent a PM to you responding to this post.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 11:00:02 PM »

Make that shit happen
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »

Make that shit happen

Please god no.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
I wish he had answered my question about the thought process of writing the extremely complex songs like TDoE and Outcry but this was a great interview nonetheless. I love reading and watching JP interviews because he's such a laid back and down to earth guy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline adastra

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »

YEAH!  Think about this, More calmer DT album (FII-style) and Steven Wilson producing it :) That'd be great!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 05:30:45 AM »
" JP: [laughs] Yeah, we have no plans of doing that again but everybody is certainly capable. That's for sure.  "

RE : Nightmare Cinema

:lol Mangini is so tiny - him playing a bass would look hilarious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 05:33:28 AM »
I like his reply about not actually listening to music all the time.

I'm like that too. I obviously LOVE music but sometimes I prefer silence. :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:46:25 AM »

yes yes yes
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »

Make that shit happen

Please god no.

I think you got it wrong my friend.  I bet it would be DT all the way but the production would be amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 07:11:10 AM »

Make that shit happen

Please god no.

I think you got it wrong my friend.  I bet it would be DT all the way but the production would be amazing.

While his production is clean and better than their last several albums, I find it to be very sterile sounding and lifeless. And I don't want him having even the slightest influence over DT's music.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:58 AM »

Make that shit happen

Please god no.
While I get where you're coming from, it's a pretty safe bet that DT would sound better with SW producing it (or pretty much any other outside producer for that matter).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »
I think it's all verbal jerking anyway.  Just patting each other on the behind.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:21 AM »
I think it's all verbal jerking anyway.  Just patting each other on the behind.

I get that impression from a lot of DT's answers. I can't imagine JP being the kind of guy to say no to that question, even if it's not something they're likely to do. Same with questions about concept albums etc.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »
" It's consistency and you have to practice every day and you've got to put a lot of hours in. So all that combined is how I developed my speed. By doing that you kind of find these spots in your hands where the speed kid of locks in. It's like starting a motor and then it kicks in and that's when you kid of find your comfort zone."

Unfortunately, I don´t have that time available. I´m always with the shortcuts!  :biggrin: